You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Stock Muffler Baffle Removal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech ReferenceMessage format

nailer
Posted 2012-08-22 8:49 AM (#121948)
Subject: Stock Muffler Baffle Removal

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
I got these cores from my local dealer's scrap pile. Most dealers sell them to metal recyclers. They had a little rust on them. A little spot blasting and paint is all that was needed to bring them back to life.

Supplies Needed: Masking tape, plasma cutter or pneumatic cutoff tool or dremel w/#426 fiber reinforced cutoff disks (2 pks..8 disks), black rustoleum hi temp paint. Welder or friend w/welder.

Locate the weld seam that runs the length of each muffler. This seam will be a reference point when you cut off the end cap and later weld the cap back onto the muffler body so that your factory tip mounts line up.

Pic 1:
Place a piece of masking tape approx. 1/2" from the end of the muffler outlet parallel to the end. I went too close to the end in the pic. The muffler is 16 gauge I believe so it's not very thick.

Pic 3:
The baffle is not welded internally. Once you cut the end off, it will slide out with a some blunt force. I used an old baseball bat through the inlet to punch out the baffle. Do not hammer from the outlet. The end cap will bend and distort and you'll have to straighten it out before welding it back on.

Pic 4:
Cut off as much of the outlet tip opening as you want. I believe if you want the sound of the big honkers, cut the baffle off just where it enters muffler output. This will allow you to use your stock tips. If I had to do it over again, I would have left an inch of material around the output. You'd get a deep sound and keep some back pressure. For the Muscle muffler sound, just leave about a 1/2" of the exit plate without removing too much of the exhaust tip mounting bracket.

Pic 5: Baffle

Pic 6:
Attach the outlet aligning the seam, weld and paint.

Dab a thin coat of anti seize on the inlet port and these muffler will slide into place and allow you to twist the mufflers to align the two muffler threaded bolts into place just below the saddlebag.

This mod sounds wicked! I've never heard a deeper/rumbling set of pipes. Bike came with S1L1, too quiet. Installed cherry bombs...too quiet. This is the sound I have been looking for. My gatlin tips provide a little back pressure.

I find myself shifting between 2k -2.5k to keep the noise level down in traffic. I'll probably get better gas mileage.

The only downside so far is that I've noticed the popping while upshifting has increased.

Edited by nailer 2012-12-26 7:59 PM

(muff1.jpg)

(muff2.jpg)

(muff3.jpg)

(muff 4.jpg)

(baffle.jpg)

(muff5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments muff1.jpg (90KB - 56 downloads)
Attachments muff2.jpg (159KB - 41 downloads)
Attachments muff3.jpg (111KB - 37 downloads)
Attachments muff 4.jpg (153KB - 36 downloads)
Attachments baffle.jpg (112KB - 37 downloads)
Attachments muff5.jpg (126KB - 48 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™