You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

J&m Speakers again
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Banjo
Posted 2008-06-24 6:38 PM (#12336)
Subject: J&m Speakers again

Tourer

How many have replaced the front fairing speakers with J&M.........are they really worth it? yay or nay Do the stock speakers really have built in tweeters?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-06-24 7:30 PM (#12337 - in reply to #12336)
Subject: Re: J&m Speakers again

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
I replaced both front and rear withthe J&M speakers. I think they were definately worth the money. The sound is much clearer and less volume is needed to hear them going down the road. They also seem to be much better quality materials than stock.
devilboy
Posted 2008-06-24 10:58 PM (#12350 - in reply to #12336)
Subject: RE: J&m Speakers again

Cruiser

Central Florida
Banjo - 2008-06-24 6:38 PM

How many have replaced the front fairing speakers with J&M.........are they really worth it? yay or nay Do the stock speakers really have built in tweeters?

replaced front and back with J&M. for the $$ they are worth it.
Mazman99
Posted 2008-06-27 10:59 PM (#12494 - in reply to #12336)

Puddle Jumper

Bellevue, NE
I just replaced my stock speakers in the front fairing tonight with the J&Ms. There is room for improvement from both the speaker side and Victory's side.

First off, find some gasket material so the J&M speakers can achieve a better seal and reduce the possibilities of vibration. You are trying to achieve an infinite baffle and acoustic leaks don't help in that end.

Check the speakers to make sure which really is the positive terminal. Do this by hooking up a flashlight battery and noting the excursion of the speaker cone is outward not inward. When the speaker cone's excursion is outward, that is the correct absolute polarity. Mark the speaker terminal that is connected to the positive post of the battery with a red mark or piece of tape. Do this with both speakers. If one speaker is hooked up with the proper polarity while the other isn't, you will get cancellation of energy, less transient impact, and phase problems that will mess with the stereo signal.

Get better speaker wire using a heavier gauge or thickness. Don't get gung ho. There is such a thing as wire too thick to where it will cause problems with the connectors you are using.

Put some acoustic stuffing in the enclosure or cavity of the fairing like what you would see in a properly implemented home stereo speaker cabinet. This actually increases the effective cavity or box volume which will provide for a smidge more bass response. Don't over do it by packing the enclosure so tightly as to defeat the intention.

Get better fasteners. The ones that Victory provides are crap. They were stripped out and do not provide a good secure mount. Tighten the fasteners opposite one another evenly so as not to warp the speaker frame.

These are small improvements that will help you wring the most performance out of an area that seems to have been executed in a half-baked fashion.

Edited by Mazman99 2008-06-27 11:05 PM
Banjo
Posted 2008-06-28 3:45 AM (#12498 - in reply to #12336)

Tourer

Mazman thank you for the suggestions....I might just do the speaker swap now.What is acoustic stuffing? What gauge wire did you use what sort of gasket material did you use? and fasteners. Some pics and materal list would be so useful please
Mazman99
Posted 2008-06-28 8:57 AM (#12503 - in reply to #12336)

Puddle Jumper

Bellevue, NE
These are suggestions that I made based upon what I saw when I replaced the stock drivers with the J&Ms. As far as the acoustic stuffing take a look at the following link: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-317

Try going to a 16 or maybe a 14 gauge wire. The little 20 gauge wire they use does not lend itself to power handling.

Gasket material could be foam strips with an adhesive backing or silicone RTV.

In regard to fasteners; whatever works.

I was disappointed with what I saw last night so I just wanted to give all who wanted to "upgrade" their speakers a heads up and get these items before they dive in.
Banjo
Posted 2008-06-28 12:28 PM (#12513 - in reply to #12336)

Tourer

Mazman from what you observed when you installed the J&m speakers do they appear to be superior in construction compared to the stock speakers and . What were the obvious differences you noted in comparing the 2 speakers.
Mazman99
Posted 2008-06-28 2:12 PM (#12516 - in reply to #12336)

Puddle Jumper

Bellevue, NE
Took my first ride this morning and I would have to say the jury is still out on whether these speakers sound better or not, superior construction or not. Sure, they go higher in volume over the stock speakers, but they sound shrill. I like rock music and where I had better mid bass and midrange on the stock drivers, these J&Ms just shriek. It could be they need to break in so the surrounds become more compliant. Right now it seems like I have a high-powered transistor radio.
tralphaz
Posted 2008-06-28 2:55 PM (#12518 - in reply to #12516)

Tourer

Check the speakers to make sure which really is the positive terminal.
The positive and negative terminals are different sizes to prevent reversing polarity,
so unless the speaker and stereo manufacturers have poor quality control, there shouldn't be a problem with polarity.

As far as the sound of my J&M speakers, I will agree that they do sound much better but I didn't notice a volume increase so at 70 down the freeway my stereo is not as loud as I would like it.

Banjo
Posted 2008-06-28 11:05 PM (#12548 - in reply to #12336)

Tourer

I ask so many questions because when I had my Street Glide I changed to J&m and did not notice a difference what so ever in sound quality. I might just keep the stock speakers and put some insulation in there.
Mazman99
Posted 2008-06-29 6:30 PM (#12576 - in reply to #12548)

Puddle Jumper

Bellevue, NE
I am going to get my money back on these J&M speakers. There is not any difference in loudness at 70 mph with these over the stock speakers. They distort just as badly. The J&Ms sound thinner and shrill over the stock speakers to boot. This might very well be a matter of better speakers that are needed, but right now it is clearly a need for more power for these little guys. The amp is just wimping out.

Does anyone from Victory monitor this forum? If so:

Dear Victory; There is a need for a booster amp to be included somewhere in the design process for us current Vision owners. There is a type of amplifier called Class "D" that comes in small packages, can deliver a wallop of power, and doesn't cost much. If that doesn't cut any consideration, look into a chip amp. Do a Google search for "Gainclone" and that will get you there. Class "D" is the first choice though due to the more efficient operation.

bigwill5150
Posted 2008-09-12 3:17 PM (#17932 - in reply to #12336)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I have just installed the J&M on my bike Street Primo. I have no rear speakers so there will be even more improvement with you Tour owners. Here are a couple before and after videos. I duplicated all input levels, EQ levels etc. In the first video I run the speakers up to the level where I begin to notice distortion. I dwell there and run them up further. At about level 20, the OEM speakers distort heavily. In the second video, I demonstrate the J&M speakers. I run them up to 20 and do not hear distortion. You can run them up all the way to peak (which is 30 I believe) and they don't distort like the OEM do at level 20. If you are thinking about the Hawg-wired kit with the amp, you don't need it! These things blow me out of the shop! Just being able to turn them all the way up is way higher than I am comfortable with. I listen to a lot of loud music. I drive a "boom" truck with a couple 12" subs etc. and levels above 20 are uncomfortable to me. (don't worry I only crank it up in heavy traffic or on the highway. I never run around residencial areas with it blasting). BTW, I chose this mp3 because of it's heavy base + treble. It is one of the songs I first really noticed distortion with. DJ's are standing by at YOUR motorcycle to take requests. LOL You may notice that the second video with J&M speakers sounds a little quieter. What you're not really getting with the camcorder's mic is that the bass is fuller with the J&M speakers. Anyway, YOU decide.
Enjoy... Or not
-Will
OEM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1rDRKEqCY
J&M:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNwTU4Cxzk

Edited by bigwill5150 2008-09-12 3:18 PM
Wizard523
Posted 2008-09-12 4:00 PM (#17933 - in reply to #12336)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
See my comments under "Latest Reviews" (posted yesterday).
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-09-12 7:00 PM (#17941 - in reply to #12576)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Mazman99 - 2008-06-29 6:30 PM
Dear Victory; There is a need for a booster amp to be included somewhere in the design process for us current Vision owners. There is a type of amplifier called Class "D" that comes in small packages, can deliver a wallop of power, and doesn't cost much. If that doesn't cut any consideration, look into a chip amp. Do a Google search for "Gainclone" and that will get you there. Class "D" is the first choice though due to the more efficient operation.

As I've mentioned in another forum, 2009 Visions come with upgraded speakers. Not sure about the amp. It would be great to do a '08/'09 comparison.

Teach
Posted 2008-09-13 4:05 PM (#17975 - in reply to #12336)

Visionary

I was riding in the rain today (yes again) and it occured to me the sound is REALLY bad when it rains on the speaker grills. Got to pondering this as I was riding. So can someone who has removed their speaker grills tell me if the speakers sit unprotected behind the plastic grill or if there is some type of cheese cloth between the speaker and plastic housing?
I'm thinking if there is no barrier between the speaker and plastic housing it would explain a great deal about sound quality, and particularly why its really obvious in the rain.
spursmvp
Posted 2008-09-13 10:04 PM (#17993 - in reply to #17975)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
Teach - 2008-09-13 3:05 PM

I was riding in the rain today (yes again) and it occured to me the sound is REALLY bad when it rains on the speaker grills. Got to pondering this as I was riding. So can someone who has removed their speaker grills tell me if the speakers sit unprotected behind the plastic grill or if there is some type of cheese cloth between the speaker and plastic housing?
I'm thinking if there is no barrier between the speaker and plastic housing it would explain a great deal about sound quality, and particularly why its really obvious in the rain.

If the speakers are built like marine speakers (in a boat) there is no separating material. The speakers are built to take the water.

I got got in a a REALLY wet rain storm about 3 weeks ago and everything was soaked. My handlebar controls were screwed up for 1-2 days until they dried out but the speakers never changed sound.

I've got to admit that this stereo is awesome! As I've said before we are not going to get BOSE like sound on a MC at 75 MPH. That's a pipe dream

It does make me wonder....I bought a later model '08 and perhaps Victory had already switced to better speakers. Just a thought.
wjoel
Posted 2008-09-13 10:34 PM (#17996 - in reply to #17993)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Hey spursmvp,

I read your thread, that you bought a later 08 vision.
Do you know when your bike was manufactured?Does any one know what would be considered
a later model?
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-09-14 8:21 AM (#18013 - in reply to #17996)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
From recall info, we surmised that there were 2444 Visions produced for 2008. A look at your bike's VIN can reveal where it is in the production sequence.
Teach
Posted 2008-09-14 10:01 PM (#18066 - in reply to #12336)

Visionary

spurs, yes I realize they are marine grade speakers BUT I'm an old Wing rider and as such know that Honda did the ole speaker without fiber grill on the older wings. Like my Vision the sound quality was defnitely changed when wet, the fix was cheese cloth between the speaker and plastic to keep the water off the speakers. I'm just wondering if it is just the speaker or if it has a fiber cloth in place?
spursmvp
Posted 2008-09-14 10:12 PM (#18071 - in reply to #18013)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
JAM - 2008-09-14 7:21 AM

From recall info, we surmised that there were 2444 Visions produced for 2008. A look at your bike's VIN can reveal where it is in the production sequence.

That's a great point...what digits in the VIN would indicated who was first and who was last of the 2444?

The only reason I've mentioned I must have a 'late model' is that the only problem I have with my bike is the iPod acts up, but I think that's because of the way I have my playlists set up.

I've ordered my J & M speakers because of the fine gentleman on another thread who posted the Youtube vidoes comparing the sound. You could tell a noticeable difference in the loudness.

I'll continue to read this forum for great ideas.
ScoreBo
Posted 2008-09-14 10:32 PM (#18073 - in reply to #12336)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Speakers are definite improvement in loudness, but I noticed less high range (treble). After you get used to it they are fine. You can even tell this from your video.
ScoreBo
Posted 2008-09-14 10:39 PM (#18074 - in reply to #12336)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Oh yeah, our choices are limited if you want marine grade speakers. Another thread on either here or thevmc.com someone put in a set from Memphis audio. My biggest concern when speaker shopping is that the memphis speakers had an RMS of 80 watts. Our little amp only puts out 20 per speaker. So driving the speaker with enough juice to put it in its efficiency zone isn't going to happen. However, the Memphis speakers had a dedicated tweeter, unlike the J&M.

So with that being said, if you want / need a loudness improvement, desire marine grade, J&M is really your only choice.
bikerdave48
Posted 2008-09-15 11:16 AM (#18084 - in reply to #12336)

Cruiser

New Castle Delaware
Not sure why everyone is having volume problems with their speakers. I leave my volume at around 11 most of the time. The vision does seem to have AVC (Automatic Volume Control) cause when I speed up the volume does increase. At 13 the volume is almost too loud. If you are using the IPOD nano make sure you have the volume on the ipod cranked up to almost full. I took a 3000 mi trip from DE to Tx 3 weeks ago rode in unbelievable downpours which I could not even hardly see and have no issues with speakers or handlebar controls.
ScoreBo
Posted 2008-09-15 12:51 PM (#18086 - in reply to #12336)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Put louder pipes and drive on the highway. Also, if some of your iPod songs are of lower volume and you have to turn it up, you'll see why. We do have AVC with our radios. I run mine on medium.
bikerdave48
Posted 2008-09-15 2:52 PM (#18094 - in reply to #18086)

Cruiser

New Castle Delaware
I guess you have a point on the pipes. I have stage1 level 2 and they are still very quiet. My AVC is set on High. That seems to work best for me and that is what I had it set on my ULTRA before the Vision.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™