You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

cracked headlight
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

docholaday
Posted 2012-09-16 4:56 PM (#123711)
Subject: cracked headlight

Puddle Jumper

Savage MN
I'm losing my third headlight on my vision to cracks. Facing the bike from the front they always appear on the top right corner and spread until it gets bad enough that water gets inside during washes and then the bulbs fail. Victory covered replacement on the 3rd light. Not sure how this discussion will go. Anyone elese had this problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2012-09-16 5:02 PM (#123715 - in reply to #123711)
Subject: Re: cracked headlight

Visionary

Central Maryland
I've noticed that water "sits" in the upper right headlight seam after it's washed. I'm wondering if there's a way to silicone that area so water doesn't get in and "sit" there.... It could very well be (I'm throwing it out there...) that the water get's into the seam and then get's heated repeatedly by the bulb... and weakens the glass are... causing cracks.

Next time any of you wash your Vision... that a look at how the water collects in the uppers seam of the headlight.

Edited by willtill 2012-09-16 5:08 PM
aaronrkelly
Posted 2012-09-16 5:11 PM (#123717 - in reply to #123715)

Tourer

Moravia, IA
Ive heard many have this issue.....but Im not sure as to the reason.

I power wash my bike......I use aftermarket bulbs (which may produce more heat).....and I havent had that problem yet.

I did hit a deer a month or so ago.....so my headlight that has been trusty for so many years (its an 08) has been replaced. Hopefully it hangs in there like the old one had.
docholaday
Posted 2012-09-16 5:46 PM (#123723 - in reply to #123711)

Puddle Jumper

Savage MN
I have noticed how water collects there and make sure to wipe it up after a wash. I also have a big crack in turn lense on that side right next to where the problem shows up on the headlight. I have not replaced it and it has not gotten any worse. At first victory claimed i must have hit something which is not the case.
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-16 5:57 PM (#123725 - in reply to #123711)

Visionary

Good luck on your fight
It sounds like your missing spacers or some kind of poor alignment.
Wasn't there a famous bar that had your name in shockape
BrandonM7
Posted 2012-09-16 8:34 PM (#123738 - in reply to #123711)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Water doesn't cause cracks in polycarbonate, but chemicals do. I'd bet something you use when cleaning the bike is attacking it. It's horrific how many common care items destroy polycarbonate parts. Same reason some people have yellow headlight lenses on their cars and others stay perfectly clear.
stifsmit
Posted 2012-09-16 9:20 PM (#123741 - in reply to #123711)

Puddle Jumper

Tyler Texas
Im waiting on warranty to authorize my 3rd headlight first 2 had leaks still dont know where bike is only 8 months old bought new.
jimtom
Posted 2012-09-17 6:27 AM (#123753 - in reply to #123741)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I never have, never will clean my bikes with water.
Blackjack
Posted 2012-09-17 6:38 AM (#123754 - in reply to #123711)

Tourer

Cottage Grove, Mn
Any product with a petroleum distillate (which includes all waxes) should NOT be used on polycarbonate. Beware car wash products that claim to wash and shine at the same time.
varyder
Posted 2012-09-17 2:26 PM (#123791 - in reply to #123711)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I've never had the problem. However, Vision-Rider history had documented this problem for some, and by a very vocal short lived owner that claimed to have gone through something like 3 assemblies before throwing his hands up and selling the bike. While the root-cause was never clear, he claimed it was a defect on ALL '08 Visions...except mine. With that said, it could be an alignment problem, such as a missing, or too many spacers causing undue stress in that area. I would ask the dealer, if you are doing a warranty claim, to see how aligned things are when assemblying, or you could take the time, if you have the know-how to see for yourself. And for the record, my Vision sits outside all the time, except when I'm at work. I probably have the most abused Vision in the fleet, but mine has given near zero trouble. Hope you find the problem.

Edited by varyder 2012-09-17 2:27 PM
atvtinker
Posted 2012-09-17 2:55 PM (#123797 - in reply to #123711)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
I, too, have never had this problem with my Vision and I've taken mine apart several times on the front end fooling around with different lighting options for better night riding lights. Mine is just as clear and has never had a crack appear as of yet. I do only clean my headlight with either a non-ammonia formula glass cleaner or Pledge spray. Ok, let the taunting begin about the Pledge!
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-17 3:11 PM (#123799 - in reply to #123738)

Visionary

BrandonM7 - 2012-09-16 8:34 PM Water doesn't cause cracks in polycarbonate, but chemicals do. I'd bet something you use when cleaning the bike is attacking it. It's horrific how many common care items destroy polycarbonate parts. Same reason some people have yellow headlight lenses on their cars and others stay perfectly clear.

There all kinds of head light cleaners for cars. A lady at 3M told me what shops are using is Mr Clean Eraser

no I would never use it on my bike but car I would give it a try. Ahe all so said Armor All class clean works better then any thing

on cars and house hold windows  

BrandonM7
Posted 2012-09-17 3:36 PM (#123805 - in reply to #123711)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Pledge is good stuff, atvtinker - I spray it on my dirtbike plastics and then mud just rinses right off with a hose. I also use it to mount tires. Never used it to clean a headlight, but I'll bet it helps keep bugs and gunk from sticking to it.
Lojak
Posted 2012-09-17 5:15 PM (#123816 - in reply to #123711)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada

They (VICTORY) are going to let you cought up the Cash to fix it not to far down the road..Cause i'm on my 5rd broken headlight on my 2010 Vision.
Every one of them crack at same place as yours...No problem getting them change on warranty, until NOW .. Victory (not the dealer) turn down the warranty..I Have to pay from now on. . just whish that Victory would step up at the plate and find a solution. For now Victory is hiding there head in the sand.. They can't tell there dealers how to fix this problem..
As much that i like to ride this bike... it's going to cust me 2 headlight per riding season.($1200.00)..no way ..I'm starting to look at the good old reliable rice burner Goldwing..had one for 23 years very low cust maintenance...It's just going to cust to much to keep this bike on the road...
Sorry...had to vent ..
Don't get me wrong, i love to ride this bike , just need a solution to fix this...
aaronrkelly
Posted 2012-09-17 5:29 PM (#123818 - in reply to #123816)

Tourer

Moravia, IA
Lojak - 2012-09-17 5:15 PM

As much that i like to ride this bike... it's going to cust me 2 headlight per riding season.($1200.00)..no way ..I'm starting to look at the good old reliable rice burner Goldwing..had one for 23 years very low cust maintenance...It's just going to cust to much to keep this bike on the road...
Sorry...had to vent ..
Don't get me wrong, i love to ride this bike , just need a solution to fix this...

I was there earlier this year.....not with the headlight, thankfully I dont have THAT issue.....yet.

I was on my 2nd front fender.....and the seat heater on my Vision at 2 years old stopped working......also the seat seams were all coming loose. Seems everytime I take this bike apart some plastic mounting tab busts off.

Now I have a 1984 Honda Goldwing setting in the garage thats almost 30 years old.....same front fender.....and the seat is in perfect condition. The headlights great as well.

How the Goldwing doesnt have seat heaters.....but Ive owned BMWs that had them that were well over 10+ years old....and worked just fine.

I hate to say it.....the build quality just isnt quite there.

I went back and forth......in the end I opted to suck it up and work with it.

I dropped $400+ on fixing the seat heater and reupholstering the seat. I spent another $300 on ANOTHER front fender.

I really feel your pain and understand where your coming from......30 year old aged Honda plastic is more durable then my Vision......disappointed would be an understatement.

Still love the bike.....but its lost a bit of its luster.
Lojak
Posted 2012-09-17 5:34 PM (#123820 - in reply to #123711)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
+1
varyder
Posted 2012-09-17 7:55 PM (#123831 - in reply to #123711)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Wow. I regained my sea legs on a 84 Gold Wing. Fine machine, but once she was gone there was no looking back. After an hour on that machine my back, butt, knees, and neck was killing me, 1 1/2 hours tops! My Vision has had no comparison to even the GL1500 I had for about two months. A GL1800 was out of the question because it sat and felt the same way, only bigger.
docholaday
Posted 2012-09-17 8:51 PM (#123836 - in reply to #123711)

Puddle Jumper

Savage MN
Pretty sure my issue has nothing to do with cleaning supplies. My 2nd headlight was cracking 30days after I replaced it. My opinion is there is something out of alignment on the bike causing a stress point. Dealer has not found anything wrong but going to possibly try another dealer to look it over after i go after VIC for another headlight. I love this bike plus i have way too many extra $ into it at this point to trade her off on a new one.
aaronrkelly
Posted 2012-09-17 10:17 PM (#123841 - in reply to #123711)

Tourer

Moravia, IA
My bike has had over $5K worth of damage done to it on 3 different occasions........all three times it just hammered the front end of the bike fairly hard. I cant imagine a bike more "out of alignment" then mine. The original 2008 headlight survived the first two accidents but shattered on the last one.

Hopefully you find something doc....sounds frustrating.
BrandonM7
Posted 2012-09-20 9:35 AM (#123981 - in reply to #123711)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
That stinks - yeah, a month isn't enough time for anything other than stress to break it. Gotta be something. Has the same person installed all of the replacements?
docholaday
Posted 2012-09-26 8:28 PM (#124301 - in reply to #123711)

Puddle Jumper

Savage MN
Official response from victory is they are not liable for the headlight issue because i have after market pipes (ness) that must be causing excessive vibration causing the headlight to break. WHAT A JOKE! Last time they asked if the bike had a big bore kit in it.
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-27 6:18 PM (#124363 - in reply to #123711)

Visionary

Hey Doc what ever make sure replace the bushing that hold the light in place.
I wonder what dealer gave you the BS on the pipes. Hope it wasn't MP.
Heck I would ride up to wyoming and talk to the enginers up there
ScoreBo
Posted 2012-09-27 8:30 PM (#124374 - in reply to #123711)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
I am getting my 2nd headlight replaced. Bike just turned one year old. First headlight in the first six months (3 months sitting because of snow) and now this one 3 months after the 1st replacement. I don't get cracks, but the chrome on the front of the headlight wrinkles and I get condensation on the inside. Victory originally told me they would only replace one and that this behavior is normal on some bikes. Normal? If a car did this, you'd be furious! I don't see how any engine modifications have anything to do with the failure of the headlight. What's next, the roads are too bumpy where I ride?

MaddMAx2u
Posted 2012-09-27 8:39 PM (#124378 - in reply to #124301)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
docholaday - 2012-09-26 9:28 PM

Official response from victory is they are not liable for the headlight issue because i have after market pipes (ness) that must be causing excessive vibration causing the headlight to break. WHAT A JOKE! Last time they asked if the bike had a big bore kit in it.

That is the dealer not Victory~ How does Victory know you have after-market pipes? I bought my ride new and when I picked it up it had aftermarket pipes, a PC 5 and a few other goodies. But then the stator went it was replaced without question. Your dealer is schitting on you from my view.

He should be working for you, not against you.
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-28 6:46 PM (#124410 - in reply to #123711)

Visionary

I don't remember what the law is called but he can take them to court and they would have to prove the exhaust cause the crack.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™