You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Changing to Synthetic
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Len Rhymes
Posted 2008-07-12 3:33 PM (#13415 - in reply to #13411)
Subject: Re: Changing to Synthetic

Jacksonville Florida
I changed to Repsol at the 500 mile service. Repsol I'm told own's the oil well, refinery and markets their product. It is red in color. I need another oil change but I'm holding off until Vision Bob and I head north to the big party. I check the oil every time I ride and the Repsol is the same color as the day I put it in. I'm going to try the Amsoil this time because it is pretty warm here in Florida and the Repsol only comes in 10/40.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-13 6:44 AM (#13438 - in reply to #13119)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
What i have been wondering in regards to oil filters for our bike is, I was wondering what the stock victory oil filter uses as far as PSI for the bypass relief valve on their oil filters? This is why i was wondering this, let say they have a filter designed to go into bypass mode at 7-10psi. Now others may want to purchase a cheaper oil filter from walley-world and its bypass doesnt open until 14psi will this hurt the Freedom engine? Probably not, will it help it? probably not. But i cant say until i knew Who make the oil filters for victory. or at least know what the bypass valve pressure is... So right now i replaced my oil filter at my 500 mark with a Oem filter. at least this way i know i am safe until i can get some answers. 8) And believe me i never use oem oil or filters. I feel oil filters are just as important as the oil we talk about.. Why go all the way with the oil and skimp out with the filter?

Edited by Arkainzeye 2008-07-13 6:47 AM
RotnRat
Posted 2008-07-19 8:31 PM (#13847 - in reply to #13033)
Subject: RE: Changing to Synthetic

Cruiser

South of Houston Tx
Is the Rotella T a Motorcycle oil? I never found anything In Walmart with a "MA" rating, and I was under the impression that this was the important thing as far as the wet clutch property of the oil, not weather it is synthetic or not? at any rate I have been using the Amsoil 20/50 since 2500 miles along with the pure one filter.

Edited by RotnRat 2008-07-19 8:32 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-19 9:00 PM (#13850 - in reply to #13847)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Don't you just love oil threads........it is just like our choices in motorcyles, religion, politcs, or what blue jean to wear. we have to decide what is best for us. I feel the main thing on oil is to use a recommended motorcycle oil. Some folks use other types of oil, when you do that, the main thing to remember is to use oil that is not a fuel conserving type oil. That is stated on the quart bottle. Fuel conserving oils have additives added that are friction reducers and that can effect you wet clutch. Some motorcycle oils are better than others, you just have to get one that you like. If you want more information, just do a web search for "motorcyle oil" and get ready to for a couple of hours of reading. It is very interesting on how oils are made and how they stand up to the test in a motorcycle. Also, you can do a web search for oil filters and get a good idea on what to use.........if you don't want to use a Victory filter.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-21 9:20 AM (#13956 - in reply to #13033)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Until now i pretty much used whatever i wanted in my cycles. I for the past few years have been using amsoil motorcycle oil. Not because it is rated for motorcycles, but because of how it made my other motorcycles shift in the past.. Now recently after reading the Fine Print of the victory warranty info. I will now more than ever use only motorcycle oil.. If you read the fine print of the warranty. AND... if you have the extended warranty, you will see there is loop holes that could void a engine related warranty for not following procedures.. And no, your use of none motorcycle oil will Not be the cause of your engine problems... But you give a company a loop hole to not have to pay out thousands of dollars in the case of engine related failures and they will more than likely take it.. I see victory is very detailed about you keeping all your receipts for oil filters and oil, and even logging the dates and mileage that everything was changed.. I seen how they are about transferring a warranty also... This is different from what i am used too when dealing with warranties. Im not talking badly about victory.. Not at all.. im just saying they will check to see if you dotted your I's And crossed your T's "if" the time comes for a warranty claim. And more so if it is engine related.. This is of course only from what i read in the warranty info. This has nothing to do with my experience with victory..
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-07-23 4:06 PM (#14242 - in reply to #13033)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
I used Amzoil in my '05 Kingpin with no problem. It ran quieter and cooler, and shifted better. I was told by a dealer's mechanic that the Victory oil is really Mobil 1. Regardless, I'm at 2500 miles now and will stick with Victory oil to at least the 5K mark, then change out to Amzoil again.

I'll pretty much chase anything that might reduce the heat off this motor, 'cause it's burning me out.
cw1115
Posted 2008-07-23 8:16 PM (#14267 - in reply to #14242)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I was using Amsoil in my V-Star and planned on using it in my Vision. Now I'm undecided. The Yamaha had a recommended 4000 mile interval for oil changes and I was pushing it out to 5000. Plus it only needed 3.5 quarts with a new filter. With the way I'm putting miles on my Vision combined with the 2500 mile interval, that's going to get expensive. Until I make up my mind what to do, I bought the Victory oil change kit. Still kind of expensive. $60 for the oil, filter, and oil plug seal. Any suggestions.
rainmaker
Posted 2008-07-23 9:57 PM (#14275 - in reply to #14267)

Cruiser

Eden Prairie, MN
Your best choice and the only one tested for millions of miles and hours by Victory and recommended for that reason and only that reason. Victory Engineering uses it in all of their test bikes, durabilty and performance dynos. Why argue with success?
Side Car
Posted 2008-07-31 2:15 PM (#14826 - in reply to #13033)

Puddle Jumper

Salt lake city Ut.
I have used amsoil in 5 vics (20-50 mc oil)after 2500 miles with exellent results and I resently added 16oz of lucas oil stabilizer to the last oil change and rode to Vegas from SLC I could definatly tell a difference in running temp and shifting. the average ambient temp was 96 to 111 degrees. I was very impressed and as we rode slower canyon thru utahs back country there was absolutly no clutch slippage.
Banjo
Posted 2008-07-31 6:53 PM (#14858 - in reply to #13033)

Tourer

The 106 "Freedom" V-twin is so smooth with Amsoil 10-40........I love it
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-11 4:10 PM (#15811 - in reply to #14826)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Side Car - 2008-07-31 2:15 PM

I have used amsoil in 5 vics (20-50 mc oil)after 2500 miles with exellent results and I resently added 16oz of lucas oil stabilizer to the last oil change and rode to Vegas from SLC I could definatly tell a difference in running temp and shifting. the average ambient temp was 96 to 111 degrees. I was very impressed and as we rode slower canyon thru utahs back country there was absolutly no clutch slippage.

take this for what its worth. but on amsoil.com they actaully WARN not to use oil additives with their oils..
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-11 4:13 PM (#15812 - in reply to #14858)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Banjo - 2008-07-31 6:53 PM

The 106 "Freedom" V-twin is so smooth with Amsoil 10-40........I love it

I put in amsoil at 500 miles. I really love this stuff. but recently i noticed amsoil raised their prices. not the list price is getting close to $11 a qt. I might be able to find it someplace else cheaper. But if this is the case i might try Mobil1 Motorcycle oil. Not only can i get it just about everywhere i live but i think it is a few bucks cheaper. I would rather stay with amsoil. If you look on amsoils website and look up how they compare other oils to theirs, you will see mobil1 is right no their tails on everything. and in a few tests matched exactly what amsoil did. As far as 10w40 engine wear mobil1 was exactly the same as amsoil. Now im just wondering if mobil1 shifts as smooth as amsoil.
tralphaz
Posted 2008-08-11 8:50 PM (#15829 - in reply to #14275)

Tourer

rainmaker - 2008-07-23 6:57 PM

Your best choice and the only one tested for millions of miles and hours by Victory and recommended for that reason and only that reason. Victory Engineering uses it in all of their test bikes, durabilty and performance dynos. Why argue with success?

Same could be said for Harley oil, Honda oil, Yamaha oil etc. each company has their engineers that swear by their product, why? Because they make money selling it.

I put in amsoil at 500 miles. I really love this stuff. but recently i noticed amsoil raised their prices. not the list price is getting close to $11 a qt.
I paid $10 for the Preferred Customer Zone a while back so I could get the Amsoil products at a discount, I ordered a case for my pickup and 2 cases for my bikes and a few other items and saved a couple bucks a qt. Next time I need oil, I'll enroll again.

Edited by tralphaz 2008-08-11 9:03 PM
Big Vic
Posted 2008-08-11 9:57 PM (#15840 - in reply to #13033)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Amsoil, Amsoil, Amsoil........I'm now a believer. I switched my wifes Kingpin over 3300 miles ago. I just changed oil in both our bikes yesterday and noticed a few things. 1. The Kingpin shifted better with 3300 miles on the oil change than the Vision did with 2200 miles (Victory oil) on it. My Vision shifted like the Kingpin after I changed the oil. The Vision also seems (don't know how to prove it) to rev much quicker with Amsoil. I'm not sure I'll go 5000 miles like some but I would easily run 3000-3500 without concern. Bottom line is Amsoil cost about the same as Victory and appears (to me at least) to perform MUCH better.
Teach
Posted 2008-08-11 10:42 PM (#15846 - in reply to #13033)

Visionary

The Amsoil I am SORRY to say is actually working nicely, lol. Currently at 3500 since oil change and its shifting smooth and not quite so noisy..... aka no indicators its in need of change yet. I did have to add a half quart at 3000 miles but don't ask me where it went because I have zero leakage, lol.
rainmaker
Posted 2008-08-12 12:48 AM (#15870 - in reply to #15829)

Cruiser

Eden Prairie, MN
tralphaz - 2008-08-11 7:50 PM

rainmaker - 2008-07-23 6:57 PM

(quote)Same could be said for Harley oil, Honda oil, Yamaha oil etc. each company has their engineers that swear by their product, why? Because they make money selling it.

That is just synical. WHy is it that you believe the Amsoil Salesman when he tells you his oil is better? Isn't he making money selling it? Has he tested it? Does Amsoil have a million million miles running a Victory on Amsoil?

My point is, the oil is blended for Victory is tested and used by Victory. It has the properties required for designed results. Putting anything else in is simply an experiement.

I don't give flying fish what you put in your bike. I'm not crowing on any oil, maybe it is all better, but it just doesn't make sense to me to experiment like that.

tralphaz
Posted 2008-08-14 7:49 PM (#16113 - in reply to #15870)

Tourer

Putting anything else in is simply an experiement.

I don't give flying fish what you put in your bike. I'm not crowing on any oil, maybe it is all better, but it just doesn't make sense to me to experiment like that.

Good, I don't like flying fish.
Experimenting BTW, would be putting an oil that is not approved by Victory like vegetable oil....... The owners manual says "Use only Victory brand Semi-Synthetic 20w-40 Motor oil or equivalent oil for use with wet clutches such as JASO MA ratings.

Guess what? Amsoil, Repsol, Castrol, Mobil and many others qualify as equivalent's .

dwhite28
Posted 2008-08-14 9:07 PM (#16120 - in reply to #13033)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
Thank you tralphaz. I was about to make a similar comment. I am a Polaris/Victory Bombardier tech, and that is exactly what i suggest to people as well. I suggest to people that want to change oil brands to wait at least till the 25oo mile mark. That way the engine on the Victory is broken in well. You can change it to Amsoil or whatever at the 500 mile mark if you like, i just like to keep it till the 2500 mile mark.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-15 9:08 PM (#16220 - in reply to #13033)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
https://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq1.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Does the vision come with a factory fill of semi-synth oil ?

Edited by Arkainzeye 2008-08-15 9:12 PM
tralphaz
Posted 2008-08-16 1:37 AM (#16238 - in reply to #16220)

Tourer

Arkainzeye - 2008-08-15 6:08 PM

https://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq1.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Does the vision come with a factory fill of semi-synth oil ?

Most likely Vic semi-synth....... BTW There is no minimum standard for calling an oil semi-synthetic, if it contains a drop of synthetic, it's enough.
docvtx
Posted 2008-08-16 10:43 AM (#16243 - in reply to #16238)

Cruiser

Santa Maria CA
i use amsoil or royal blue oil, my corvette has digital gauges, i swithed from mobil1 to royal blue and the oil temp dropped over 20 deg. the same wwhen i put amsoil in. lower oil temp means this friction. i also use amsoil in my bikes for years and no problem.
Banjo
Posted 2008-08-17 8:06 PM (#16318 - in reply to #13033)

Tourer

Every oil with a JASO MA rating is good enough to put in your Freedom 106 V-Twin.
dwhite28
Posted 2008-08-17 8:18 PM (#16321 - in reply to #13033)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
Please refer to Llpydz Tech Talk. There is a paragraph concerning oil. Just because the temp drops does not always mean less friction. To drop your temp a little, like 5 to 10 degrees could be a good thing. But you dont want to take away from the way an engine is designed. It may need that extra bit of heat to burn the fuel efficiently. The important thing is keeping a good "shear rate" and the oil to maintain its lubricating properties. Thats where many of the synthetics win out over the mineral oils. The synthetics stay more stable over a longer period of time.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-17 9:50 PM (#16329 - in reply to #13033)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I might try mobil1 10w40 motorcycle oil this one time in my vision as i need another oil change in 150 miles. and there isnt any amsoil around me. I swear by amsoil, but with the increase in amsoils price and how hard it is to find, THEN the 2500 oci of the vision i might try something i can find easily and cost less. I havebeen using amsoil for Years now. My main reason for using amsoil was extended oil change intervals. But since i have a warranty with this bike i am not going to extend the OCI. i dont need a legal battle if my engine spun a bearing or something. I seriously doubt the maker of (brand A) oil will have your back in the fight to prove you were safe in extended the oci. So imight try mobil1 as i can get it Everywhere. and if i feel no difference than i might use that. now if i was doing my 7500 mile oci like i did in my other bike then i would only use amsoil and nothing else.
mcassill
Posted 2008-08-24 1:02 PM (#16808 - in reply to #13033)

New user

Iowa
I've been running Mobil1 15-50 with a Mobil1 oil filter in my KPT. Now have 2500 miles since last oil change, and the stuff hasn't even started to turn color yet. Just my $.02.
Mark
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™