You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Changing to Synthetic
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Teach
Posted 2008-08-24 4:37 PM (#16818 - in reply to #13033)
Subject: Re: Changing to Synthetic

Visionary

Arkainzeye, you could use the Mobil1 BUT you'd be pissing away good money. I used the Mobil1 for my Vision and it got 2500 miles before the shifting became harsh/notchy. Amsoil doesn't extend the interval either, so for all intent and purpose you can run any oil that is going to carry you 2500. I purchased enough Amsoil for 2 oil changes and just did a change this morning. I mistakenly posted I was at 3300 when I meant to post 2300 miles. The Amsoil went 3100 miles before the shifting became harsh, and I'll add that it happened overnight, not gradual. My bike will be due for another change in a couple weeks so I plan to try the Shell Rotella T Synthetic since its cheaper in cost than both Mobil1 and Amsoil but still a QUALITY oil.... Cost for the Mobil runs real close to the Amsoil at $37 if you buy the 4 quart jug and a spare quart. The Shell Rotella Synthetic is $17 for the jug & spare quart. Since it makes little difference to the mileage replacement interval, I'm not tossing money on high end oil.
I had a Suzuki LC1500 years back and it wold only go 2500 before it needed the oil changed as indicated by the harsh shifting. I used the Honda GN 4 (I think GN4 is the syn) and could get 3200 miles between. The Vision seems to follow the same schedule. I will say I went over the interval on my trip south and had no issues or concerns about extending the change for the extra 2k miles over recommended.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
spursmvp
Posted 2008-08-24 8:50 PM (#16851 - in reply to #13087)
Subject: RE: Changing to Synthetic

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
rainmaker - 2008-07-07 9:46 PM

Victory is semi synthetic. It is the only oil Victory recommends using. It is not about branding, it is about 10's of 1000's of hours in the dyno's and 100's of thousands of miles on the road.

I understand customizing, but I don't understand messing with proven technology. I'll leave the experimenting to you guys. Let me know when you can prove you made the right decision.

My thoughts exactly! I figure those 'engineer' guys are smarter than me so I'll stick with the $60 kit I get from my dealer.
SongFan
Posted 2008-08-24 9:07 PM (#16853 - in reply to #13033)

Visionary

Memphis

A couple from California came into Memphis for a 2,500 mile service and my dealer noticed that the oil for the California Visions is a slightly different blend than the 49 state version.  (Cali was slightly cheaper also.) 

It seems to me that if Victory is that picky about the blends they probably have it figured out.

Big Vic
Posted 2008-08-24 9:20 PM (#16856 - in reply to #13033)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
It amazes me how people get all freaked out about the oil they put in their bike.............meanwhile they let any Joe at a quick lube shop dump anything in their car/truck without ever quoting what they think Ford, Chevy, or BMW engineers were thinking when they spec'd the oil. Victory does not make oil! They only make money off of someone elses oil. I'm sure they spec'd a good oil, and I'm also sure there is better out there for less money. For the same money as Victory oil I can use Amsoil with better results. Just my 2 cents.
Teach
Posted 2008-08-24 10:03 PM (#16860 - in reply to #13033)

Visionary

I found this a bit interesting. Maybe a few others will as well. Please don't think I'm a big fan of Amsoil, thats never been the case, but so far it works well in the Victory.
https://www.amsoil.com/news/2008_motorcycle_dyno.pdf

Edited by Teach 2008-08-24 10:04 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-25 9:07 PM (#16940 - in reply to #16818)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Teach - 2008-08-24 4:37 PM

Arkainzeye, you could use the Mobil1 BUT you'd be pissing away good money. I used the Mobil1 for my Vision and it got 2500 miles before the shifting became harsh/notchy. Amsoil doesn't extend the interval either, so for all intent and purpose you can run any oil that is going to carry you 2500. I purchased enough Amsoil for 2 oil changes and just did a change this morning. I mistakenly posted I was at 3300 when I meant to post 2300 miles. The Amsoil went 3100 miles before the shifting became harsh, and I'll add that it happened overnight, not gradual. My bike will be due for another change in a couple weeks so I plan to try the Shell Rotella T Synthetic since its cheaper in cost than both Mobil1 and Amsoil but still a QUALITY oil.... Cost for the Mobil runs real close to the Amsoil at $37 if you buy the 4 quart jug and a spare quart. The Shell Rotella Synthetic is $17 for the jug & spare quart. Since it makes little difference to the mileage replacement interval, I'm not tossing money on high end oil.
I had a Suzuki LC1500 years back and it wold only go 2500 before it needed the oil changed as indicated by the harsh shifting. I used the Honda GN 4 (I think GN4 is the syn) and could get 3200 miles between. The Vision seems to follow the same schedule. I will say I went over the interval on my trip south and had no issues or concerns about extending the change for the extra 2k miles over recommended.

In my last bike Vulcan 2000, i tried Rotella Synthetic (blue jug) I wanted to start saving money on oil changes. That oil lasted just under 1000 miles before it made my shifting notchy. AMSOIL in my vulcan went past 6000 miles with no notchy shifting. Im not going to extend my OCI on the vision as i have the extended warranty.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-25 9:10 PM (#16941 - in reply to #16856)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Big Vic - 2008-08-24 9:20 PM

It amazes me how people get all freaked out about the oil they put in their bike.............meanwhile they let any Joe at a quick lube shop dump anything in their car/truck without ever quoting what they think Ford, Chevy, or BMW engineers were thinking when they spec'd the oil. Victory does not make oil! They only make money off of someone elses oil. I'm sure they spec'd a good oil, and I'm also sure there is better out there for less money. For the same money as Victory oil I can use Amsoil with better results. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you! I use amsoil in my cars also. I do a once a year OCI on them. I also have used oil analysis to prove the oil could last that long. On my last bike the tests shown amsoil to go up to 7500 miles on my vulcan 2000. I traded it in before i had a chance to see if it would go even further than 7500 miles. Whats really nice about the once a year OCI on my little suv is, its a pain in the bean bag to change oil! you have to lower the under body armor, THEN its a excerise in patience to remove the filter. I do how ever replace the filter every 6 month either way.
tylerdang
Posted 2008-09-28 9:33 PM (#19182 - in reply to #13033)

Puddle Jumper

At about 3,000 miles on bike I switched to amzoil. I noticed at about 10,000 that when I got on it fairlyl hard, starting up a hill w/ trailer behind, the clutch sqealed like a tire. I looked next to me to see if someone was burning out but that was not the case. It has happen a few times since then. I am going back to victory oil next oil change. I now have about 15 k on the bike.
cw1115
Posted 2008-09-29 2:51 PM (#19254 - in reply to #13033)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I'm particular about the oil I ut in my car too. All I run is Penzoil patnium 5W20 full synthetic. Also a firm believer of always useing the same brand once you decide on one.
vic2004-08
Posted 2008-09-29 6:30 PM (#19273 - in reply to #13033)

Cruiser

Lusby,Md
I use Royal Purple 20-50,30,000 miles on my T/C and 12,000 on my Vision,no problems.My advice,keep your oil changed.Just my 2 cents.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-06 10:52 PM (#20050 - in reply to #19273)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

My two cents, I went AMSOIL at the 21K mark and it seemed to run slightly quieter at the beginning. I might went a little longer before it was time to change oil again after about 3.2K. To me this is not significant enough to warrant paying the extra. I went back to the Vic 50/50 20w40 juice. On my Wing GL1200 I ran it out until 8k, I thought I'd at least get 5k, but no dice.

jama
Posted 2008-10-07 12:37 AM (#20056 - in reply to #13033)

Cruiser

Arkansas
I'm sure that Victory oil is great, as are the other premium brands, for the most part. I just don't agree with the margin on the Victory oil [over $8.33 per quart for dino/syn (allowing $10.00 for the included filter)]. And there is no way that I know of to buy it in bulk or buy it without the filter, in case you use the Conquest filter or similar. I change mine almost every month and that would end up costing 25% of the price paid for the bike in 5 years! Just for oil! To me it's just an unnecessary expense. It can be done just as well on 1/2 to 1/3 that. Whew, I feel so much better now, after trying to find a way to buy the Vic oil in bulk today. It's like talking to the Cartel.
sandman
Posted 2008-10-07 7:23 AM (#20060 - in reply to #13033)

Cruiser

rhode island
Victory used to sell their oil in 50gal. drums, they may still do that.
I've been using valvalene 20-50 motorcycle oil made for wet clutches with good results.
non syn. for now.
Banjo
Posted 2008-10-07 7:45 AM (#20063 - in reply to #13033)

Tourer

I say if youre gonna change oil at the 2500 recommended interval it doesnt matter what oil you use as long at it has the "Jaso ma" rating. I have been useing Amsoil for 18 years without problems and extending the drain intervals....Amsoil & the Victory oil are the same price....in that case I'm using the full synthetic product.
Joe H
Posted 2008-10-07 7:57 AM (#20064 - in reply to #13033)

Cruiser

Eyota, MN
I've had great luck with Amsoil and run it in most things I own, I think people need to think about what's best for your investment, not thinking about saving a few pennies every 2500 miles on oil. You did buy a bike that was over $20,000!! Take care of it with quality stuff, don't go cheep. Just my two cents worth, Ride Safe.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-10-07 8:49 AM (#20068 - in reply to #16856)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Big Vic - 2008-08-24 9:20 PM

I completely agree with you !! Ill be damned if im going to pay $60 for a Victory kit that is nothing more than semi-synth oil when i can get 100% synth oil and pay less..... And as it was stated Victory doesnt even make their own oil. Usually companies like this get their oil made by whomever is the cheapest bidder. Unlike companies like mobil1 and amsoil where oil is what they do and nothing else. With the victory oil, like HD oil a large part of that money is going towards the labeling on the bottle.
visionbob
Posted 2008-10-08 3:44 PM (#20185 - in reply to #13033)

Cruiser

Cumming, GA
Just changed my Amsoil after my AVR trip which I racked up 9200 miles. Here is a picture of the Victory oil after 2500 miles and the Amsoil after 10,000 miles.
Banjo
Posted 2008-10-10 11:27 PM (#20371 - in reply to #13033)

Tourer

Looks like the Amsoil is darker.Proving thats its doing its job by keeping the engine clean inside.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-10 11:47 PM (#20374 - in reply to #20371)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm a little slow at things like this. I see that regardless of oil types I would expect the same results when compared between 2.5k and 10k, 4 times the recommendation. The question to me is, if using engine rattle as an indicator, was your's running the same at 10K with AMSOIL as it was with Vic at 2.5k? I noticed mine began the oil rattle a little later then the Vic, around 3k, but there is no way I would have pushed it to 10K. As I mentioned earlier I have done the AMSOIL bit and it worked very well in my GL1200, going 8k instead of 5k with Honda 50/50. With the Vic I don't see a significant noticeable improvement, maybe an additional 500 miles before the rattle began. Given the mileage I do, an average of 2.1k per month, I would love to go at least 3 months on an oil change instead of a month and a half. I'm new to Vic's and with a new bike I don't want to push the boundaries of the wwarrantee only have to sink several K's to replace an engine if something would fail that "could" be blamed on oil change intervals, even if it wasn't the cause. Flame on...
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™