You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

trunk running lights tie to turn signal - how?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

20 10 Vision
Posted 2013-03-05 5:42 PM (#131743)
Subject: trunk running lights tie to turn signal - how?

Tourer

When I turn on my blinker I would like the running light on the trunk to also blink. Is there a kit or something I can buy to do this, or does radio shack have something?

Thanks guys!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rlreed
Posted 2013-03-05 6:02 PM (#131744 - in reply to #131743)
Subject: Re: trunk running lights tie to turn signal - how?

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
Its called the kuryakyn 4710, turns your trunk lights into turn signals, running lights and brake lights that flash three times before staying on....I just installed mine and I like the fact the upper turn signals flash oposite the lower giving a lot more contrast....Now we just need a brighter light bulb for it....
Wadcutter
Posted 2013-03-05 9:25 PM (#131762 - in reply to #131743)

Puddle Jumper

Here's mine with the 4710 and 2 48 bulb LED strips under the trunk lip. Great improvement and really lights up at night.
The lights appear to be flickering at the start of the video. It's just the camera. No flicker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbLdSK2MTQ

The 4710 has the option of coming on and staying on when the brakes are applied or, like I have mine, flash 4 times and then solid. It's just a simple plug in piece to adjust either way.
I've also done the taillight mod so the bottom center lights stay on when the brakes are applied with the turn signals.

Edited by Wadcutter 2013-03-05 9:29 PM
20 10 Vision
Posted 2013-03-06 11:38 AM (#131783 - in reply to #131743)

Tourer

rlreed and wadcutter - thanks that is exactly what I was looking for!
Boots
Posted 2013-03-06 3:22 PM (#131791 - in reply to #131743)

Tourer

New Mexico
I always assumed the kuryakyn 4710 would cost $200-$300. On ebay they are running <$80 - does that sound right??
atvtinker
Posted 2013-03-06 4:35 PM (#131795 - in reply to #131743)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
One other fact. You will have to run another wire to separate the two trunk lights for right and left. They are connected on the same wire.
rlreed
Posted 2013-03-06 5:46 PM (#131797 - in reply to #131795)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
I think I paid about 75 bucks for it on Amazon. Its fairly easy to install. I never did find a connection for the tail lights so I spliced into the wires under the seat and fastened the box on the right hand side with hook and loop tape. Later on I'm going to install some LED lights and hook them to the brake feed from the Kurykayn....
coltman
Posted 2013-03-06 7:31 PM (#131803 - in reply to #131743)

Puddle Jumper

I just had my 4710 installed last weekend. The trunk lights work great and they also tied in the main brake lights so they flash 3 times when I hit the brakes. But now my cruise control won't work. I'm gonna take it back and they're gonna try and figure out the problem. I'm guessing it's the tie in to the main brake light. I'm hoping someone on here might have the answer.
Wharf_rat
Posted 2013-03-06 7:56 PM (#131804 - in reply to #131743)
Subject: RE: trunk running lights tie to turn signal - how?

Cruiser

Republic of Texas
20 10 Vision - 2013-03-05 5:42 PM

?
?
When I turn on my blinker I would like the running light on the trunk to also blink. Is there a kit or something I can buy to do this, or does radio shack have something?
?
?Thanks guys!

I have a LED brake/turn signal strip mounted in the gap of the trunk.

This isn't where I bought it but it appears to be the same or very similar.

http://www.customdynamics.com/Images/st121812ara.jpg

Wadcutter
Posted 2013-03-06 8:47 PM (#131806 - in reply to #131791)

Puddle Jumper

Boots - 2013-03-06 3:22 PM

I always assumed the kuryakyn 4710 would cost $200-$300. On ebay they are running <$80 - does that sound right??

Yup, that's the going price, under $80. Pretty simple to install. It does require another wire run to the trunk lights to separate them but it's no big deal to do.
Turk
Posted 2013-03-07 1:35 PM (#131828 - in reply to #131806)

Iron Butt

Wadcutter - 2013-03-06 8:47 PM

Boots - 2013-03-06 3:22 PM

Yup, that's the going price, under $80. Pretty simple to install. It does require another wire run to the trunk lights to separate them but it's no big deal to do.

Okay, don't take this as a flame, but it just doesn't make sense to me why some of you guys are buying 4710 controllers to accomplish what can be done with the Vision's integrated trailer converter? It's equivalent to a 4 wire trailer converter for a twin light setup, with running lights, and combo turn/brakes for left and right. I'm just having a hard time believing that mine is the only Vision that came with this pigtail/controller mechanism built in. I'm going to try to attach pics of where it splits off from the rear harness, and what the wires look like. I've used the ground, left, and right, but didn't need the running light function, so I left that wire alone (the white one in the pics). You can see that it's still folded back and taped over, the way all four of them came from the factory.

The connector to the right, that I have 3 of the wires from the 4-wire pigtail going into, is my own addition, to make removing the trunk somewhat easier.

And no, I did not split off that pigtail from the main harness or re-wrap anything. It came that way from the factory, it was just hidden on the back and along side of the rear harness, so I had to look for it.

Edited by Turk 2013-03-07 2:02 PM

(20130307_122024_resized.jpg)

(20130307_122034_resized.jpg)

(20130307_122057_resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20130307_122024_resized.jpg (82KB - 31 downloads)
Attachments 20130307_122034_resized.jpg (94KB - 26 downloads)
Attachments 20130307_122057_resized.jpg (98KB - 25 downloads)
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-03-07 2:20 PM (#131831 - in reply to #131743)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
How about a detailed write up, Turk?
Turk
Posted 2013-03-07 2:27 PM (#131832 - in reply to #131831)

Iron Butt

Monkeyman - 2013-03-07 2:20 PM

How about a detailed write up, Turk?

I already wrote it up once, in the 99led mod thread. Basically, I just expanded on that mod slightly, by using three LED segments, butted up against each other. The center LED strip is strictly the brake light, and is a direct tap (the single blue tap/connector forward of the red circles in my pics) off of the brake wire. (note: I should have used a 4 plug connector instead of the three plug connector so I could have incorporated it too, but as it is, it's just the lone wire you see running loosely down and back).

Anyway, the left and right LED segments are connected directly to that built-in pigtail. It provides left / right turns AND brake lights! Had I used 3 wire LEDs, I could have hooked up the running light function as well. While I left the trunk marker lights alone, I could have easily connected them to the built in pigtail also (no need for a 4710). Just sayin'.... unless you want the fancy blinking brake light patterns of an add on controller, the built in one does running, brake, and turns, all by itself.

So... my rear trunk lid LEDs, divided up into a center segment, and a left and right segment (all red), will all three light up simultaneously when the brakes are activated, but the left and right segments (under the trunk marker lights), also act as turns that override the solid on brake functionality.

I just can't figure out why no one else but me is using it, it's just too easy.

Edited by Turk 2013-03-07 2:34 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-03-07 5:35 PM (#131840 - in reply to #131743)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
That I can see. I thought maybe you found a way to get the OEM trunk lights to work as brake/turns.
rlreed
Posted 2013-03-07 5:56 PM (#131841 - in reply to #131840)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
I looked all over for those wires, not found. I did find some wires behind the port side speakers but they are not light wires, I haven't figured out what they are... I even removed a lot of the tape on the wireing in that area without finding them.....
Wadcutter
Posted 2013-03-08 6:17 AM (#131856 - in reply to #131743)

Puddle Jumper

Turk the reason you don't understand why we are using the 4710 is because you don't understand what the 4710 does. There's a reason for using the 4710 once you actually understand what it does. You're just adding separate lights with the pigtail. The 4710 converts the trunk lights to run/stop/turn lights. Using the trailer light pigtail will not convert the trunk lights to r/s/t. The trunk lights are single element bulbs. Just connecting the trailer light pigtail to that bulb will not do the same as the 4710. To convert the trunk lights to r/s/t without something like the 4710 requires replacing the socket, running another wire, and replacing the bulb with a dual element bulb or adding a completely separate light strip which is what you're doing.
What the 4710 does is convert a single element bulb or LED strip to work like a dual element bulb. That's what you're failing to understand. Just connecting to the trailer pigtail will not do that. It takes a controller of some type.
The trailer pigtail is nothing more than an extension of the regular taillight wiring.

Edited by Wadcutter 2013-03-08 6:20 AM
Turk
Posted 2013-03-08 7:42 AM (#131859 - in reply to #131840)

Iron Butt

Monkeyman - 2013-03-07 5:35 PM

That I can see. I thought maybe you found a way to get the OEM trunk lights to work as brake/turns.

They will if you connect them up to that built in pigtail !!
Turk
Posted 2013-03-08 7:47 AM (#131860 - in reply to #131856)

Iron Butt

Wadcutter - 2013-03-08 6:17 AM

Turk the reason you don't understand why we are using the 4710 is because you don't understand what the 4710 does. There's a reason for using the 4710 once you actually understand what it does. You're just adding separate lights with the pigtail. The 4710 converts the trunk lights to run/stop/turn lights. Using the trailer light pigtail will not convert the trunk lights to r/s/t. The trunk lights are single element bulbs. Just connecting the trailer light pigtail to that bulb will not do the same as the 4710. To convert the trunk lights to r/s/t without something like the 4710 requires replacing the socket, running another wire, and replacing the bulb with a dual element bulb or adding a completely separate light strip which is what you're doing.
What the 4710 does is convert a single element bulb or LED strip to work like a dual element bulb. That's what you're failing to understand. Just connecting to the trailer pigtail will not do that. It takes a controller of some type.
The trailer pigtail is nothing more than an extension of the regular taillight wiring.

No, I understand perfectly what the converters do. I installed one on my KP before just about anyone else did back in the day. I experimented with the "Hoppy" units, as well as others. Also experimented with different pre-packaged load equalizers and do it yourself resistors to accomplish the same thing.

The fact is that most folks are not using that functionality! They simply want brake and turns, not running lights, from the side markers and LED strips. But for whatever reason, they are still deploying the 4710, or tapping (or even splicing !) the rear wiring harness instead of using the exposed pigtail that is already there (at least on my bike). That is my point.

wingit3611
Posted 2013-03-08 8:34 AM (#131861 - in reply to #131803)

Cruiser

coltman - 2013-03-06 8:31 PM I just had my 4710 installed last weekend. The trunk lights work great and they also tied in the main brake lights so they flash 3 times when I hit the brakes. But now my cruise control won't work. I'm gonna take it back and they're gonna try and figure out the problem. I'm guessing it's the tie in to the main brake light. I'm hoping someone on here might have the answer.

===============================================

I installed a flash unit (3 then solid) on a 650 Burgman and had the same trouble. After a lot of trouble shooting it turned out to be wire I was getting my power from. the voltage on the brake connection point. I had to move that. It had just anuff voltage on it that the cruise though the brake is on (doesn't take much voltage, feed back voltage will do it.) as I recall I could have added a diode or changed the point at which I connected, I choose the latter.

wingit3611
Posted 2013-03-08 8:34 AM (#131862 - in reply to #131803)

Cruiser

coltman - 2013-03-06 8:31 PM I just had my 4710 installed last weekend. The trunk lights work great and they also tied in the main brake lights so they flash 3 times when I hit the brakes. But now my cruise control won't work. I'm gonna take it back and they're gonna try and figure out the problem. I'm guessing it's the tie in to the main brake light. I'm hoping someone on here might have the answer.

===============================================

I installed a flash unit (3 then solid) on a 650 Burgman and had the same trouble. After a lot of trouble shooting it turned out to be wire I was getting my power from. the voltage on the brake connection point. I had to move that. It had just anuff voltage on it that the cruise though the brake is on (doesn't take much voltage, feed back voltage will do it.) as I recall I could have added a diode or changed the point at which I connected, I choose the latter.

rdbudd
Posted 2013-03-08 10:08 AM (#131866 - in reply to #131860)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Turk - 2013-03-08 7:47 AM

Wadcutter - 2013-03-08 6:17 AM

No, I understand perfectly what the converters do. I installed one on my KP before just about anyone else did back in the day. I experimented with the "Hoppy" units, as well as others. Also experimented with different pre-packaged load equalizers and do it yourself resistors to accomplish the same thing.

The fact is that most folks are not using that functionality! They simply want brake and turns, not running lights, from the side markers and LED strips. But for whatever reason, they are still deploying the 4710, or tapping (or even splicing !) the rear wiring harness instead of using the exposed pigtail that is already there (at least on my bike). That is my point.

Turk is right. Actually, everybody is right. But, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I used Songfan's idea for the 99 LED brake light with a slight modification right after he posted his mod back in late 2009, except instead of using a single 99 LED strip for the "Mother OF All Brakelights" like he did, I used two amber strips and a red strip in the center and tapped into the existing wiring for additional brake and turn signals. I chose to leave the trunk lights stock for the running lights. The end result is that my rear lighting looks stock until the brakes are applied and then a high center red LED strip comes on. The same for the turns except now when a signal is activated an amber strip blinks on the appropriate side. No 4710 controller needed. My 2008 doesn't have the pigtails that Turk shows on his 2011, so I used positaps to tap the wires.

I used a 4710 controller on my 2000 Sport Cruiser about a decade ago to accomplish what everyone else is talking about, which is to convert the rear turn signals into Run/Turn/Brake, which really helped the rear lighting on that bike. The stock single run/brake light on the SC is really small. The 4710 is really useful there and effectively adds a lot more rear lighting.

Ronnie
Wadcutter
Posted 2013-03-08 6:56 PM (#131884 - in reply to #131860)

Puddle Jumper

You keep writing that you don't understand why anyone is using the 4710. I explained the reason. It converts a single filament bulb running light so that it works as a tail light, a stop light, and a turn signal. That's why we use the 4710 because we want the trunk light to do all 3. If you just want the trunk to be a running light then so be it. If you only want the trunk light to be a brake light and off rest of the time then wire it that way. If you want the trunk light to work only as a turn signal then it can be wired that way too. But if you want the existing trunk light to work as all 3 then it needs a converter.
You're the one who wrote that you don't understand why use the 4710. And I'm not sure how you know so much about the 4710 now because in Jan 2013 you wrote a post that you didn't know what the advantage of the module was. If you knew how the 4710 worked then you would know what the advantage of it was. That is the reason. So you can convert a single filament bulb to do all 3 functions. Wiring to your trailer pigtail will not do convert a single filament to do all 3 functions.

Edited by Wadcutter 2013-03-08 7:01 PM
Turk
Posted 2013-03-09 8:38 AM (#131900 - in reply to #131884)

Iron Butt

Wadcutter - 2013-03-08 6:56 PM

You keep writing that you don't understand why anyone is using the 4710. I explained the reason. It converts a single filament bulb running light so that it works as a tail light, a stop light, and a turn signal. That's why we use the 4710 because we want the trunk light to do all 3. If you just want the trunk to be a running light then so be it. If you only want the trunk light to be a brake light and off rest of the time then wire it that way. If you want the trunk light to work only as a turn signal then it can be wired that way too. But if you want the existing trunk light to work as all 3 then it needs a converter.
You're the one who wrote that you don't understand why use the 4710. And I'm not sure how you know so much about the 4710 now because in Jan 2013 you wrote a post that you didn't know what the advantage of the module was. If you knew how the 4710 worked then you would know what the advantage of it was. That is the reason. So you can convert a single filament bulb to do all 3 functions. Wiring to your trailer pigtail will not do convert a single filament to do all 3 functions.

Apparently I'm not making myself clear. I do understand why SOME of you need to use a controller, such as the 4710 (just one of many that would do the trick). But there are many who are using it for turns and brakes only, that don't need to use it. Additionally, with the presumption that the '11 and newer bikes come with the same pigtail as is on my bike, there is less need to tap or splice additional wires within the rear harness.... just use the ones supplied in the pigtail. I'm not making a blanket statement as you suggest I am. But there are a good many Vision riders here that would be able to mod their trunks with the LEDs, and still get turn and brake signals (and leave the side markers as running lights without diminishing their intensity as happens with the 4710) without buying a controller. Just another option, please don't get worked up over it.

Edited by Turk 2013-03-09 8:44 AM
Turk
Posted 2013-03-09 8:45 AM (#131902 - in reply to #131743)

Iron Butt

As an aside, has anyone else had success locating the 4 wire trailer pigtail built into some of our bikes?

Edited by Turk 2013-03-09 8:46 AM
somanyroads
Posted 2013-03-09 9:40 AM (#131908 - in reply to #131902)

Puddle Jumper

Wiscasset, ME

Turk

I have a 2012 Vision and I have the 4 wire trailer pigtail that you are talking about and showed the pictures of. They are located in the same area as your photos. Thanks for letting everybody know about them.         Denny

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™