You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

trunk rack questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

raynchk
Posted 2013-03-27 9:36 AM (#133748)
Subject: trunk rack questions

Puddle Jumper

Punta Gorda, Florida
I just got the trunk rack for my vision and checking the installation instructions it says not to exceed 5lbs on the rack. Is that just for warranty/insurance/lawsuit safety or is the trunk lid on the vision that flimsy? I opted to go with a trunk rack and the bags instead of a hitch and trailer for long trips.

Also, is there any tricks or tips I should be aware of? The install instructions seem pretty straight forward. The only thing I may do different is use some blue loc-tite on the screws holding the rack down.

Maybe some of you guys with a rack on your vision would care to chime in? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Dale
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Point
Posted 2013-03-27 9:41 AM (#133749 - in reply to #133748)
Subject: Re: trunk rack questions

Cruiser

Some clear or black tubing around the legs of the rack give a nice place to bungie to without scratching the finish.
Rick 106
Posted 2013-03-27 9:48 AM (#133751 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

i had thought about the trunk rack but decided against it for that reason, and the fact that it was really expensive. I bought a California Sidecar Escapade Elite for $1500.00 and now there is room for everything, including lawn chairs.
okie vision
Posted 2013-03-27 10:20 AM (#133757 - in reply to #133748)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
My wife confused the "lbs" abbreviation for "tons" when packing us for trips

Dealer installed mine before I took delivery but if those screws go through plastic, I know there's lots of posts about not using loctite where plastic is involved.
Bones
Posted 2013-03-27 4:43 PM (#133779 - in reply to #133748)

Puddle Jumper

Rossville, IL
They probably say 5 lbs for liability, but a couple of things to note with that.

I had a big vertical tour bag from when we had the TC and Kingpin that we used to use on the luggage rack behind the passenger seat. When we got the Vision, I sold it and got a large horizontal style tour bag with zip off side pods to boot. On our first long trip with the bike, we loaded up the new tour bag and put it on the luggage rack thinking we had the best thing going by being able to put the helmets in the trunk when we didn't need them and using the side saddle bag for rain gear, drinks, etc.

Boy, was that a mistake. We went to leave on that first trip and I could barely get the bike off the stand with all the weight and being so top heavy with the tour bag on top of the trunk. I don't know how much was in the bag, but it was at least a good 20 pounds or more. We left and drove 30 miles to meet up with some friends before continuing on with the trip and the bike handled like crap when trying to lean in to curves. When we got to the meeting point, I told the wife we need to do something different, I wasn't going to drive the next 700 miles like that.

So while we were waiting on our friends, I opened the trunk lid with the bag on it and snap went the lid cable. Luckily, I had ahold of it and didn't cause any damage to the lid. I took out all the heavy stuff (mainly jeans) and put them in the lower saddle bags. Everything else that was lightweight went in the upper tour bag. The rest of the trip was ok, but the cross winds would catch the tour bag and really made the bike dance which I didn't care for.

Since then, we've been on many more trips and learned a valuable lesson. The expensive tour bag (used one time) sits lonely in the closet collecting dust never to see the light of day again. We pack frugally now and continue to put heavier items in the lower saddle bags. I don't care for it, but if we take the helmets, they stay on our heads now even in states without helmet laws. The luggage rack on top of the trunk is just for decoration now.
vic2004-08
Posted 2013-03-27 5:07 PM (#133781 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

Lusby,Md
I only put my rain gear in mine for easy access. 20 lbs is a lot for the rack and isn't meant for that.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-03-27 6:24 PM (#133784 - in reply to #133748)

Visionary

what you don't want is stuff hanging over the rails causing a tipsee load
Wadcutter
Posted 2013-03-27 8:22 PM (#133800 - in reply to #133748)

Puddle Jumper

Trunks can crack if the rack isn't mounted properly.
Make sure to drill the holes slightly larger than the screw diameter. You do not want the screw tight in the hole. That will cause the trunk to crack.
Don't over tighten the screw. Again, cracks.
Don't use locktite. Just a smallest amount will really mess up plastic. It will melt and become weak.
When mounting the trunk I advise to get some oversize washers to place between the top of the trunk and the rack feet. That will spread the weight over a larger area and not so much right at the hole. There are commercially made ones just for that purpose. Or you can go to someplace like Lowe's Hardware and get chrome plated fender washers for about 79 cents each.
The trunk rack is good for larger bulky items. You definitely don't want a lot of weight that high up as it will affect handling.
Banjodan
Posted 2013-03-27 9:27 PM (#133803 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

I think my desire for a trunk has deminished....
Wadcutter
Posted 2013-03-28 6:56 AM (#133815 - in reply to #133748)

Puddle Jumper

Been riding for 45 years and I've put trunk racks on every bike I've ever had that had a trunk. Hauled all kinds of size items on them. Never had a trunk crack yet. Do it right when you mount the rack, don't try to haul your wife's rock collection on the rack, and you won't have any problems.
diamonbird
Posted 2013-03-28 7:58 AM (#133817 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
I just got back from Daytona and I got to use my rack for the first time, I found a leather bag and put my extra rainy weather helmet in it and my leathers(coat&chaps) in the bag...it worked very well and gave me space in the truck for other gear.
Rollin'
Posted 2013-03-28 8:27 AM (#133818 - in reply to #133748)
Subject: RE: trunk rack questions

Iron Butt

, WI
I added the laggage rack and plan to use it for rain gear.
Boots
Posted 2013-03-28 9:46 AM (#133821 - in reply to #133803)

Tourer

New Mexico
Banjodan - 2013-03-27 8:27 PM

I think my desire for a trunk has diminished....

Maybe here too...

I was planning on using the rack on trips for my leathers so I can wear them in the morning, but then take them off when the temp gets 90+. Helmet too.

Silly of me, but I hadn't considered it affecting the handling and wind management.

Edited by Boots 2013-03-28 9:47 AM
diamonbird
Posted 2013-03-28 11:56 AM (#133823 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
Yeah I didn't notice as much wind on the back of my neck and handling was the same.
GURNZ
Posted 2013-03-28 2:14 PM (#133825 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

Spfld, IL but temp Bay area, CA
First thing to do is send the OEM rack back to Victory and buy one from Joe @ Kewl Metal. Much better quality and thickness and an extra 1/2" or so longer legs to faciltate cleaning. Then load the crap out of it and don't worry about anything. When my SO and I head out for trips, we regularly will have 2 fairly large duffle bags on top and I don't notice any difference in handling. Just purchased the Victory rack bag and will use it on our next trip with a duffle attached above it. The only thing I would watch is to hang on to the lid when opening the trunk.
GURNZ
Posted 2013-03-28 2:17 PM (#133826 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

Spfld, IL but temp Bay area, CA
Sorry, I should have said Joe @ Cycle Ops
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-03-28 6:14 PM (#133831 - in reply to #133803)

Visionary

Banjodan - 2013-03-27 9:27 PM I think my desire for a trunk has deminished....

What every one is trying to tell you there a good deal but be smart how you mount it.

Keep it forward on the trunk not towards the back of the trunk and use whats called fender washers.

You'll be happy  

loren2
Posted 2013-03-28 11:19 PM (#133838 - in reply to #133748)

Cruiser

Bullhead City, AZ
I have a Kuriakan bag that fits inside the trunk when I have room and when I don't it clips on the rack. I have the Victory rack but I have seen Joes and I like them better. Easier to clean under and the chrome is better. The only problem with the bag and rack is the trunk lid gets heavy so hold on when you open it. I think the bag was made for a Goldwing rack.
Dorf
Posted 2014-07-06 6:26 PM (#161007 - in reply to #133748)

New user

I discovered a great trick in removing the mirror for rack installation. Use some fishing line, fit it behind the mirror (if its not Velcro'd) and saw the double sided foam tape. Now I can install the rack and now Velcro the mirror back on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™