You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Question on the '13 Vision and "tip-over"
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Allen_B
Posted 2013-05-08 4:27 PM (#138571)
Subject: Question on the '13 Vision and "tip-over"

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
I vividly recall demonstrations of a new 2008 Vision being dropped on its side to prove the merits of the tip-over system built into the bike.

Now that I am an owner of a new 2013, I have read that changes were made to the setup, but not sure what the real story is or what changed...

Before I find a need to "test" the capabilities, can someone clarify what may have changed and what the current models can (or rather can't) do??

Thanks!

Allen
Top of the page Bottom of the page
okie vision
Posted 2013-05-08 4:45 PM (#138573 - in reply to #138571)
Subject: Re: Question on the '13 Vision and "tip-over"

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Kick it on it's side!! Let us know if anything changed!
Congrats on your new bike
Eric
Posted 2013-05-08 4:50 PM (#138575 - in reply to #138571)

Cruiser

Duanesburg N.Y.
No idea, they look the same to me but I know you want to test it out DO IT! DO IT! LOL!!!! We all have done it just to see how it will save our butts from doing some thing dumb. They saved me this spring when after waking up the sky scooter from its winter sleep I went 3 feet with it cold and over it went when it stalled. Shit!!! I drop my all the time for the harley boys, walk around to the other side and stand on the side of the bike and taunt them to be tough harley boys and drop their bikes.........very strange though... they always mumble some thing stupid and never do it......very strange indeed. I have my technique for picking up the bike down pat and they always wait for me to struggle to up right the bike and in seconds its back up on its stand, all done. Eric
Allen_B
Posted 2013-05-08 5:25 PM (#138579 - in reply to #138571)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
I did set my bike on its side on the dealership floor- I thought the sales guy was going to loose his mind! I am wondering now what the capabilities are on the new Visions since I (ignorantly) put her on her side assuming the bikes were the same as the 2008 model, hence the question. Don't want to attempt to make a point and wind up eating crow...

Sad to say the dealership I bought from really knows ZERO about the Victory line. Fairly new dealer and only the manager (possibly owner) knows jack about the Victory line. I have been back in a couple of times and they now refer to me as their "Victory Rep" and I think its funny; they also carry Yamaha and Suzuki but I can't help but think they are missing so damn many sales due to ignorance. Guess there is more profit in the saki they carry...

Even with my antics in the dealership, I wonder what physically has changed. I would be willing to take a trip to Spring Lake and get schooled up and teach these guys about what they have on their showroom floor...

/r
Allen
Allen_B
Posted 2013-05-08 5:44 PM (#138588 - in reply to #138571)
Subject: RE: Question on the '13 Vision and "tip-over"

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
Update- I am starting to think there is no structural or functional difference, only that MamaVic changed the color of the "guards" from silver to black.

Not sure if I am missing something (potentially critical) that has changed or would change the protection. I have to say that the demo I saw years ago and the YouTube video below were huge selling point for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_OK-D5zW3M

/r

Allen
ByteN2it
Posted 2013-05-08 9:09 PM (#138608 - in reply to #138571)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
I believe it was the Vision 8 Balls that they cheaped out on and took the front tip overs off as standard equipment?-they can still be added on.
nailer
Posted 2013-05-09 6:48 AM (#138640 - in reply to #138571)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Lay it down in your garage or driveway and find out. That would be a good test to see if you can lift it back up by yourself. Better to find out in your garage than on a busy street or in a parking lot with a crowd! Lay it down on the passenger side and put the kickstand out. Read somewhere of someone who lifted up their vision on the drivers side and went to far over and it fell on the passenger side tipovers.

Edited by nailer 2013-05-09 6:54 AM
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-05-09 4:11 PM (#138671 - in reply to #138571)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I have a 2013 Vision. During slow maneuvers I have put the bike down. The tip overs worked perfectly!!! No damage other than to my back when I tried to lift the bike incorrectly. fyi..there are videos on youtube that walk you through 2 to 3 different techniques.
Allen_B
Posted 2013-05-09 4:35 PM (#138674 - in reply to #138571)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
Picking the bike up is not the question- I used to do a demo in my MSF classes with my old EGlide. I admit I had 2 others help me GENTLY place the bike on its side but did it to show how to pick up a dropped bike.

My original post was in response to a number of threads I have read on various boards that suggested the rear tip-over guards were changed or were removed. Not being familiar with the Vision line until now, I wanted to figure out what was going on (if anything)! I can say that I have already put Vicki on her side with no ill effects but I haven't crawled underneath to take a closer look!

I really think that the issue or change from what I can find was a shift to a black powder-coat compared to the original chrome design. If I am on or off track, please let me know!

/r

Allen
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-05-09 4:58 PM (#138678 - in reply to #138571)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
hhmmm.... Allen B....on the 13, the chrome option is a cover that goes over the stock tip overs and held in place with an adhesive. I don't know if the early bikes' tipovers were chrome plated. I have this option installed and when the bike is on its side it doesn't impact the chrome covers.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-05-09 4:58 PM (#138679 - in reply to #138571)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
hhmmm.... Allen B....on the 13, the chrome option is a cover that goes over the stock tip overs and held in place with an adhesive. I don't know if the early bikes' tipovers were chrome plated. I have this option installed and when the bike is on its side it doesn't impact the chrome covers.
Allen_B
Posted 2013-05-09 5:28 PM (#138682 - in reply to #138679)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
Street Eagle - 2013-05-09 5:58 PM

...and when the bike is on its side it doesn't impact the chrome covers.

That is my point- I am thinking I need to spend much less time on the interweb and more time in the saddle!

Convincing myself that my OCD is getting the better of me... but still want to make sure!

/r

Allen
purplepin
Posted 2013-05-10 6:43 AM (#138694 - in reply to #138571)

Puddle Jumper

The 2011 8 ball was the vision that was missing the Rear tip over. the 2010's had them .You could order it from the dealer on the 2011 but in an effort to "Shave" a couple of bucks off the bike they left it off (along with the radio, cruise control, windshield motor and countless other goodies). Others say it was done to "clean" up the side view of the bike.
Double Vision
Posted 2013-05-10 7:44 AM (#138696 - in reply to #138571)

Cruiser

I have heard nothing about a change to the tip over protectors.

I've dropped my Visions far more than I care to admit but I take consolation that I've also seen many other guys drop them.
Heck, I saw one guy lay it on the tip overs to clean the underside!

Last year the tipovers on our 08 Vision took a beating for us while we slid down a road in Maryland. Although the bike did get banged up it was mostly cosmetic and we were able to ride it home on the slab for 200 miles at highway speed.

My wife ended up with a tiny scuff on one of her boots. Other than that we didn't touch the ground.
All hail the Amazing Vision!

Edited by Double Vision 2013-05-10 7:44 AM
uknessie
Posted 2013-05-10 12:19 PM (#138704 - in reply to #138571)

Cruiser

Henlow, Bedfordshire, England
Unfortunately I can second that Double Vision, I hit some oil or diesel around a curve couple of weeks ago at about 20-25mph just like ice I went down. The front tip over snapped off, rear took a beating and the plastics are a bit battered. BUT I didnt get so much as a bruise, a little scuff on back of my leathers and crash helmet so the Vision did a wonderful protection job. Still riding it with some colour matched duct tape holding the flappy bits on.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-05-10 1:02 PM (#138707 - in reply to #138571)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Here are pictures of the front and rear chrome tip over covers. The fronts are actual chrome pieces vs the rear have covers. Note - the bike has been on both sides. No impact on the covers. If you look at the front and rear pictures you will see VERY minor marks on the tip overs.

The pictures are posted here:

http://shutterpro.smugmug.com/Other/2013-Victory-Vision-Tip-Overs/2...

Edited by Street Eagle 2013-05-10 1:04 PM
Allen_B
Posted 2013-05-10 1:17 PM (#138708 - in reply to #138694)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
purplepin - 2013-05-10 7:43 AM

The 2011 8 ball was the vision that was missing the Rear tip over. the 2010's had them .You could order it from the dealer on the 2011 but in an effort to "Shave" a couple of bucks off the bike they left it off (along with the radio, cruise control, windshield motor and countless other goodies). Others say it was done to "clean" up the side view of the bike.

I think this may be the source of my confusion. The Vision 8-Ball was changed (and subsequently eliminated from the lineup).

In my ignorance of the progression of the Vision model, I was unaware of the Vision 8-Ball which is what I believe I was reading about.

I apologize for the confusion but this makes sense now... No changes to the "current" Vision Tour.

/r

Allen
ingle51
Posted 2013-05-10 5:01 PM (#138714 - in reply to #138571)

Cruiser

NE Florida Jacksonville
Visions are tough, last October up in North Carolina my bike decided to do it's own thing after a long day of riding. I the last one to park on an elevated asphalt driveway at the retreat center we were staying at. I had to park facing a slight down hill slope but made sure my bike was in gear and turned the front wheel to full left with the kickstand down. I had walked about ten feet away with my back to the bike when all the other riders gasped. I turned around and saw my bike lurch forward and then tip over to the right and fall down the slope. She landed almost upside down on the right side.

I had no words to say but shrugged my shoulders and walked down the slope to get her up. It took five of us to get her back up on the driveway. The only damage was a gouge on the wing of the fairing and two dents to the plastic rim of the right mirror assembly. Nobody could believe how tough the bike was. Later that week when we got home I ordered and replaced just the wing part of the fairing for about $200.

All I can think of is that the engine was still hot and even though it was in gear it let the compressed cylinder cook off enough to let the bike lurch forward and come off the side stand. Lesson learned on my part, never park facing down hill.
cw1115
Posted 2013-05-10 7:11 PM (#138719 - in reply to #138571)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I dropped my 2008 several times during slow maneuvers. Once after 13 hours of riding I forgot to put the kick stand down, and hard one time when a guy pulled out of a gas station in front of me as a was making a turn. No damage.
I dropped my 2013 one time. I was trying to get up a sandy driveway. I got the front wheel on the road and the guy in front of me stopped. I could not reach the ground and over I went. My front tip over is bent up about 3/8" uneven with the floor board.
I took the bolts out to inspect. Big mistake. Holes not aligned any more. Took me an hour to get them back in.
It is really bugging me but I don't want to spend $334 bucks for the sub frame.
All I can figure is the rear tip over went into sugar sand and did nothing, leaving the front to take the whole impact.
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-05-10 7:51 PM (#138720 - in reply to #138719)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
cw1115 - 2013-05-10 8:11 PM
My front tip over is bent up about 3/8" uneven with the floor board.
I took the bolts out to inspect. Big mistake. Holes not aligned any more. Took me an hour to get them back in.

Some thing here. My left front tip-over looked a bit uneven with the floorboard. Thought the bolts might be bent or the tip-over itself. When I took the last bolt out everything sprung apart. The sub-frame was bent and had everything in a bind. It would have been fine if I left it alone. Took an hour to get the belly pan, plastic fairing, and aluminum fairing to all line up enough to get the bolts in. The aluminum fairing moved away from the headlight in the process. Never could get it back together right. Now there is a gap between the headlight and the alum fairing. I pushed, pried, bent, hit, shoved, beat, kicked, rubber mallet, and everything else trying to close up the gap. No luck. I should have left it alone.
Daveg53
Posted 2013-09-18 12:04 PM (#144654 - in reply to #138571)

Puddle Jumper

Vacaville, CA United States
I have a 2013 Vision and had a tip over at an intersection while riding 2-up. I stood up as the bike went over and the passenger remained in her seat with the bike harmlessly rested on the tip over protection...zero damage to the bike (or the passenger). I grabbed a handlebar and the passenger handhold (after my passenger exited of course) and stood the bike up and put it on the kickstand. Tip over protection works like a champ on the 2013 Vision!

Dave
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-18 1:01 PM (#144656 - in reply to #138571)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
There have been a few occasions where I have put the tipovers to the test. Each and every time they performed as advertised. I did have one instance where I was parallel on an incline. The tipovers slowed the bike down but ended up resting on the mirror fairing.
bigd2013vv
Posted 2013-09-19 7:08 AM (#144673 - in reply to #138571)

Puddle Jumper

Hendersonville, NC
I can actually attest to this, i got my 13 vision about 3 weeks ago, the tip over was a big seller for me as well, i seen the video's as well but about 2 years ago a buddy and i was in charlotte for the ez rider convention and bike show and a white vision was on display we looked at it trying to figure out what this bike was then turned around looking at some custom antique bikes and something caught our eye we both turned around and seen this machine falling over we both thought holy s_ _ t and at the same time we lunged to catch it but we were to late so he had us right there then he explained he did it on purpose just kicked it over, what was he thinking oh awesome feature once explained and wow nothing touched except tip over protection, now i own a 13 got it to work 3rd day an d a few coworkers standing around admiring it so i said what the hell, pulled everyone over to the left side like i was going to show them something and said here goes i tip her over, hey its under warranty and thats one of there biggest selling points so if it goes bad they fix it and there she went i felt so bad anxiety rushing she did a little bounce and rested and there you go i was on my belly looking under side and sure enough nothing touching , no damage not even a scratch, it was awesome to see their faces when i let go and gave her a slight nudge, Just DO IT it will give you a piece of mind
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-19 11:41 AM (#144683 - in reply to #138571)

Tourer

Central Illinois
With the difficulty in reaching some things on the left side while on the kickstand I have intentionally dropped my 2013 onto the right side TPS just to do things like access the gear shifter and floorboard. It is so easy to set back up that I hardly consider that effort when deciding to use the TPS. I do avoid just dropping it, instead I try to set it down gently. I really do not want to bend anything when using the TPS for my routine access needs but I have no doubt that it would survive many such incidents.
Bashcars
Posted 2013-09-19 12:33 PM (#144685 - in reply to #138571)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
I bought a 13 VV in July. During the first week i was doing something (dont' even remember what). It was on the kickstand and somehow I must have moved it forward or something and it started falling toward me (left side). The way I was positioned, I could not stop it and let it down. Nothing but the tip over protectors touched the ground, no damage. They work just as advertised.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™