You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cruise Control Intermitant when raining
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Street Eagle
Posted 2013-06-05 2:04 PM (#139999)
Subject: Cruise Control Intermitant when raining

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Fellow Riders

I ran into the same problem while attempting to engage the cruise control on my 13 Vision. When I was driving in heavy rain, I would press the ON button for the cruise. The red LED came on and the speedo icon on the dash display flashes but goes out. The first time this happened after letting the bike sit overnight, the cruise worked and the sun was out. It happened again during my VT trip. It started working 2 days later.

My Vic mechanic knew what the problem was after seeing a number of these intermitant moisture related failures. There is an electrical switch on the throttle cable for the cruise control. The fix is to load that area/switch up with liquid lube which remedies the problem.

NOW for the interesting news the mechanic shared....Through a fair trade agreement with Harley Davidson, HD provides the throttle cables/switch for Victory!!!!!! Thinking about it though....the cable lives up to the maintenance issues with HD
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2013-06-05 2:10 PM (#140001 - in reply to #139999)
Subject: Re: Cruise Control Intermitant when raining

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

poppy cock. that stuff is not HD exclusive, but I know you're just funnin'. I'm sure there are a lot of share vender items that we are not aware of.

For the 4X4 folks. Did you know that the transfer case used in the mopars were used by GM and Ford for many years, and may still be. I haven't checked in a while, but it was the only one reliable enough so Chevy and Ford used them for many years.

Edited by varyder 2013-06-05 2:11 PM
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-06-05 2:49 PM (#140003 - in reply to #140001)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
varyder - 2013-06-05 3:10 PM

poppy cock. that stuff is not HD exclusive, but I know you're just funnin'. I'm sure there are a lot of share vender items that we are not aware of.

For the 4X4 folks. Did you know that the transfer case used in the mopars were used by GM and Ford for many years, and may still be. I haven't checked in a while, but it was the only one reliable enough so Chevy and Ford used them for many years.

The transmission in most Cherokees is the same one as in a Toyota Supra.
varyder
Posted 2013-06-05 3:28 PM (#140004 - in reply to #140003)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
BrandonM7 - 2013-06-05 3:49 PM varyder - 2013-06-05 3:10 PM

The transmission in most Cherokees is the same one as in a Toyota Supra.

I bought a used 1989 at 176,000 miles and ran it to 293,000 miles.  The transmission and starter was not even listed in the parts book at the dealer.  Two dealers in Wisconsin called me a liar in essence when I was looking for a transmission mount and I would tell them the book picture is not what it is.  I had move back to Virginia and went to the dealer, he pulled out a folder with everything I was looking for.  He explained that the '89 were rolling out the door to fast so they had to hodgepodge the later ones because they didn't have enough of the standard.  So when my starter went, they could not help me at all because it was never a stocked item and the standard one did not fit.  I had it rebuilt and the shop told me he was getting ready to trash the brushes that he had no use for until I brought him my starter.  But both the transmission and starter was of the Mistibushi breed.  I know we can go on, and on, but it depresses me to know that parts of the Vision fuel pump is made in China....

Edited by varyder 2013-06-05 3:29 PM
XRsteve
Posted 2013-06-05 3:46 PM (#140005 - in reply to #139999)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Never had a problem with the cruise on the '08 and it has 30,000 miles on it. But just the other day right after washing the '13 the cruise didn't work for about 1/2 hour. First it would arm and not engage, the it would arm and engage for a few seconds, finally it engaged and held for 20 miles. It's all good now. I thought "maybe the cruise control box might have a moisture leak" ?? Sounds like I might have been right. Now where do you put that liquid lube ??
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-06-05 5:54 PM (#140011 - in reply to #139999)

Visionary

Being me I opened the switch cube and its a printed curate board.
You could open the cube and put a small amount of grease around the edges and then close it up and hope for the best.
Think of this if you made cruse cables and some one knocked on your door and said I want to buy ten thousand cables you bet you would sell them. H-D like every one ells goes to who every makes what they want. For years H-d had a Buick starter in there bikes with a cast aluminum mounting housing end cap. I'll be you will find H-D oil drain plug thats in there baggers will fit our bikes. Better cause it has a magnet Polaris is to chep or we don't need the magnet.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-06-06 7:14 AM (#140027 - in reply to #139999)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Magnet couldn't hurt. All engine's shed a tiny bit of metal and some gets through the filter. Wow That's way off subject but true.
jkfrazier
Posted 2013-07-23 5:15 PM (#142003 - in reply to #140027)

Puddle Jumper

Fort Defiance, VA United States

Anyone have a photo?  My cruise is doing the same thing.  Where is the switch located and what does it look like?

Thanks,

Joel

johnnyvision
Posted 2013-07-23 6:42 PM (#142007 - in reply to #142003)

Visionary

jkfrazier - 2013-07-23 5:15 PM

Anyone have a photo?  My cruise is doing the same thing.  Where is the switch located and what does it look like?

Thanks,

Joel

Find return throttle cable follow it down from the grip and you should see it. Any greas will work.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™