You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Self installed Reverse Kit
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

wdwurker
Posted 2013-06-21 10:25 AM (#140746)
Subject: Self installed Reverse Kit

Cruiser

Okay, I finally pulled the trigger on the reverse kit (insert derogatory comment/name) and I'm looking for anyone who did the install themselves.
I probably won't see it for another week so that should give me plenty of time to learn what to look out for.

I already know that the trimming of the panel can be tricky but how about the mechanics?

The local, and the not so local, dealer mechanics have never installed one so I'm guessing that their learning curve isn't going to be any different than mine. Might as well save the $250. They want to install the kit.

Any help?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JS5Owner
Posted 2013-06-21 2:41 PM (#140749 - in reply to #140746)
Subject: Re: Self installed Reverse Kit

Cruiser

Desert Hot Springs (Palm Springs area), CA
I can't help ya, but I can request that you take pictures and give us a write up, please...
wdwurker
Posted 2013-06-21 10:43 PM (#140773 - in reply to #140746)

Cruiser

I promise to take photos and post a write-up on the install... still find it hard to believe that I'm going to be the first to install this thing myself.

I'm confident that someone will come along before I receive the part.

From the looks of the roads out my way, everybody is out riding right now and don't have the time to post an answer just yet.
willtill
Posted 2013-06-22 5:47 AM (#140782 - in reply to #140746)

Visionary

Central Maryland
From what I've seen with Victory accessories; they always include a detailed instruction sheet. Hopefully your reverse kit will also include those instructions as well. And.. I do agree with your comment that your learning curve is probably the same as your dealers tech's. At least you will have the satisfaction that it was installed correctly... from the git-go.
okie vision
Posted 2013-06-22 8:16 AM (#140790 - in reply to #140746)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Good luck w/ the install, Jim

Why do you feel the need to install reverse? The way my knees are behaving, I'm curious as to how helpful it might be.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-06-22 10:12 AM (#140796 - in reply to #140790)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Good luck with the install Jim. As someone said, victory accessories generally come with decent instructions.

As someone with short legs, old injuries, a 900 pound bike, and a fondness for riding in the Ozarks where parking lots are often anything but level and parking spaces are often hard to find and you have to take what you can get, I wish I had reverse on my bike. My 2008 model lacks some of the mounting bosses needed for the reverse motor, or I would have one.

Ronnie
wdwurker
Posted 2013-06-22 6:12 PM (#140810 - in reply to #140790)

Cruiser

okie vision - 2013-06-22 9:16 AM

Good luck w/ the install, Jim

Why do you feel the need to install reverse? The way my knees are behaving, I'm curious as to how helpful it might be.
Well... two bad knees, One terrible knee, Gravel driveway, Pop-up tent trailer...

Oh... and no insurance to get knee fixed! Guess I figured that the Reverse Kit was less money than knee surgery.

All-though, I did get a quote for a 12' x 28' concrete pad in front of my garage for LESS than the reverse kit.

From what I can make-out by looking at the few pictures I've been able to find, it looks like a starter motor with a shaft that somehow engages the drive belt. Unfortunately, the dealer had never even heard of one, so other than price, they were not much help.

Got to love Country Living!

Edited by wdwurker 2013-06-22 6:14 PM
Banjodan
Posted 2013-06-27 9:10 PM (#140990 - in reply to #140746)

Cruiser

If you have not installed reverse yet, there were some threads a few months ago about a botched up factory install...if i can find it i'll post it. heck man...your a woodworker...you can do it!
wdwurker
Posted 2013-06-29 6:41 PM (#141050 - in reply to #140990)

Cruiser

Banjodan - 2013-06-27 10:10 PM

If you have not installed reverse yet, there were some threads a few months ago about a botched up factory install...if i can find it I'll post it. heck man...your a woodworker...you can do it!

If I remember correctly, the problem was with the side panels being butchered. I do have the tools and hopefully the patience to trim them to where they look good.
I just picked-up the kit today and have read the instructions once. I don't understand why a company like Victory can't print a decent set of instructions. The pictures look like somebody copied them on a copy machine, fuzzy & washed-out. The instructions refer to the wrong page numbers for reference (I have this same problem with my service manual) but I will survive.
I will post more as I get started with the install.
wdwurker
Posted 2013-06-30 6:55 PM (#141094 - in reply to #141050)

Cruiser

Here's the latest as of 7:30pm Sunday 6-30...

Got all of the mechanical work done, just need to wire it up and she'll be finished... Ooopps, with the exception of the part that Victory forgot to ship! As I was tightening the last bolts, I looked at the left side and thought something was missing, sure enough, the cover for the drive motor wasn't included. I sure hope the dealer doesn't give me any problem getting it here quickly.

Pictures are coming but I wanted to wait until it was finished before I start gloating. So far I've got about five hours invested with probably two more in front of me.
wdwurker
Posted 2013-07-01 6:20 PM (#141144 - in reply to #140746)
Subject: RE: Self installed Reverse Kit

Cruiser

As of Monday 7-1...

Called the dealer first thing this morning and told them that the "Drive Motor Cover" was missing.

They called Polaris and was told that the side panel needed to be trimmed?????? Bonehead!

When they called me to relay what the factory had told them (keep in mind that even though these guys at the dealer are alright, they know NOTHING about Victory) I told them that was wrong and that there was a cover shown in the instructions and that I would take pictures and come to town.

When I got there I was told that the cover was an option and would cost $35. more. I may have raised my voice and even let out a few expletives, but there was no way that cover was an add-on.

On the third call (this one I was present for) they were told by the all knowing Vic factory that the kit was made for 2012+ models and that I should already have the cover?????? So all you 2012+ VV riders probably didn't even know that you already had a reverse gear.

After a few more expletives, they made the fourth call and this time were told that the cover is no longer part of the kit because one needs to choose between black or chrome. OK, if that is the case, what is the part numbers for both... after waiting for several minutes, they were told that he wasn't able to find the part numbers and would have to call them back.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Vision. I just hope I don't have to rely on Victory for anything ever again. I have had one other case of dealing with them which resulted in me finally giving up and letting them off the hook. I had to deal with confrontation (mostly over the phone) for twenty-five years and I'm done with it.

I'll let you know what happens, one way or the other, I should have something to pick-up on Wednesday.
tawasbob
Posted 2013-07-11 9:10 PM (#141485 - in reply to #140746)
Subject: RE: Self installed Reverse Kit

New user

Check out the Wolverine chapter of the VMC forum page. Caneman installed his own Reverse Kit and is very happy with it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™