You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Exhaust and Power Commander V
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Emt647
Posted 2013-06-22 6:44 AM (#140784)
Subject: Exhaust and Power Commander V

Puddle Jumper

Delavan, Wisconsin
I recently had my dealer put on a custom exhaust (their own) and a power commander V. My gas mileage went to hell and it would stall when pulling into a park stall. I took it back and they hooked up the computer and changed something and told me to try that?? What should they be doing to assure I'm getting the best performance? I'm some what clueless to what all should be done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
diamonbird
Posted 2013-06-22 7:55 AM (#140788 - in reply to #140784)
Subject: RE: Exhaust and Power Commander V

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
They don't know what they are doing with the PCV or your combination of performance parts are not working together as they should.....one other thing disconnect your o2 sensors as they may be your problem with stalling.
okie vision
Posted 2013-06-22 8:09 AM (#140789 - in reply to #140784)
Subject: Re: Exhaust and Power Commander V

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
if they installed the PCV and the O2 sensors are still hooked up, you really are in a mess. Disconnecting them is a basic part of the PCV install.
Emt647
Posted 2013-06-22 10:38 AM (#140799 - in reply to #140784)

Puddle Jumper

Delavan, Wisconsin
I checked and the O2 sensors are disconnected.
GambitIAFF
Posted 2013-06-22 11:19 AM (#140802 - in reply to #140784)

Puddle Jumper

Is the PCV hooked up correctly or maybe bad? My mileage went up after the install.
diamonbird
Posted 2013-06-22 12:42 PM (#140805 - in reply to #140784)

Cruiser

If it's not bad then more than likely you've got the wrong map loaded.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-06-22 7:22 PM (#140814 - in reply to #140784)

Visionary

Long as you don't say whay year you have your on your own go here and look what they have for setting
they didn't have maps for the vision but the cross bike should get you in the ball park. Even go to the tech forum here and you can find setting
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_maps_in... Crossroads / Crosscountry&year=2012&mk=356&mdl=364&yr=2012
Emt647
Posted 2013-06-23 6:01 AM (#140830 - in reply to #140784)

Puddle Jumper

Delavan, Wisconsin
Thanks I will give it a try!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-06-23 6:24 AM (#140832 - in reply to #140784)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
what air filter are you using?
Vicbuilder
Posted 2013-06-23 6:46 AM (#140834 - in reply to #140784)
Subject: RE: Exhaust and Power Commander V

Cruiser

The Vic Shop - Central Iowa
I'm too lazy to explain, so here is a copy and paste of a post I did in another forum:

Here is the thing about fuel controllers, and Power Commanders in particular:

The Power Commander is a very accurate unit that is set up with either a dyno tune or with an Auto Tune module. Both of these methods allow the unit to tune your bike to your specific modifications and both are very accurate and effective.

There are other controllers on the market that are good controllers, but none quite as accurate and with as many features as a Power Commander. But, you get what you pay for and the Power Commander unit costs more and it is more money to either 1) dyno tune it, or 2) install an Auto Tune.

So that brings me to my point. What I'm seeing a lot of is guys buying a Power Commander and then downloading a "generic" map from either the seller, internet, or a tuner such as myself. That isn't totally wrong, but when I "loan" you a map it is intended to be a starter map to get you down the road until you can get it tuned.

A common misconception is that two bikes with the same combination will need exactly the same map. My point of this whole thread is that NOT TRUE. They may be close, BUT (I'll put it in caps to make my point). YOU PAID MORE MONEY FOR A VERY COMPLEX AND ACCURATE FUEL CONTROLLER THAT YOU ARE NOT TAKING FULL ADVANTAGE OF.

Here is a decription of an actual situation: Customer from out of town calls. Orders a PC. Downloads a map from Fuel Moto. I call and ask how the bike runs. His reply: "well, it's a lot better?" with hesitation in his voice. "the surging and popping are gone and it has more power. I like it I think". Humm that is not too convincing so I send him a map of mine from a bike with the EXACT same combination. Calls back in a couple of days. "Wow, much better! It's running way smoother, love it, but there are a few hiccups now and again". So we schedule a dyno tune. He rides in from 5 hours away. The map I gave him is close but it still takes a lot of fine tuning to get it RIGHT. So he calls the next day after getting back home. "Wow, what a difference! Not only did it get rid of the popping and coughing, but I picked up 5 MPG and it feels way more powerful too!

So again, my point. If you are running a Power Commander with a generic map, you are not taking full advantage of the unit.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-06-23 11:03 AM (#140838 - in reply to #140784)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
if you keep having issues with this map instead of spending anymore money on people with a lack of knowledge in this dept, just spend that money and get a auto tune for your power commander.
opas ride
Posted 2013-06-23 4:02 PM (#140845 - in reply to #140784)

Tourer

Does this mean that the VFClll is not the best way to go with the changes I am considering??...Lloydz cams, ATW, Upper intake filter, and dis-connecting the O2 sensors??
rdbudd
Posted 2013-06-23 5:11 PM (#140847 - in reply to #140845)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
opas ride - 2013-06-23 4:02 PM

Does this mean that the VFClll is not the best way to go with the changes I am considering??...Lloydz cams, ATW, Upper intake filter, and dis-connecting the O2 sensors??

It means the VFCIII IS the best way to go with the mods you mentioned.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2013-06-23 5:12 PM
Turk
Posted 2013-06-25 9:43 AM (#140903 - in reply to #140838)

Iron Butt

Arkainzeye - 2013-06-23 11:03 AM

if you keep having issues with this map instead of spending anymore money on people with a lack of knowledge in this dept, just spend that money and get a auto tune for your power commander.

I second this suggestion. Get the Auto Tune unit and be done with it.

Contrary to what some folks think, the PCV/AT combo does NOT require constant fiddling. It's a set and forget combination, once you get your map close, within a few hours of riding. And... when you do decide to "accept trim" values that the AT yields... it's a single option from the menu... it's not "tinkering" with multiple cells.

As Rylan suggests, the Power Commander V is by far the most accurate after market tuner for Victory motorcycles. The Auto Tune module makes it just as user friendly as the VFC3, but with better fuel delivery.

In summary, the BEST way to go is the PCV with Auto Tune. The EASIEST tuning method is the Auto Tune. The cheaper solution (but NOT the best), is the VFC3.

Edited by Turk 2013-06-25 9:45 AM
diamonbird
Posted 2013-06-25 9:54 AM (#140904 - in reply to #140784)

Cruiser

I second what Turk said!
rdbudd
Posted 2013-06-25 11:15 AM (#140906 - in reply to #140904)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I take note of the fact that, once again, an owner screwed up his torque curve with a screwed up aftermarket exhaust. In that case, the PCV and autotune may well be the best way out of the mess if the screwed up exhaust is going to be retained. It has the capability to "fix" the messes created by the exhaust changes. More big bucks spent to fix the problems caused by spending big bucks in the first place to screw up the torque curve with a "custom exhaust".

In reference to Opas Ride and the modifications he indicated, the VFCIII would be the best way to go.

Ronnie
ScoreBo
Posted 2013-06-26 5:20 PM (#140944 - in reply to #140784)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
An Autotune unit without the correct AFRs is just as bad as running a generic base map. You still should have someone like Rylan or Lloyd create the base map with the appropriate AFR settings for your bike. As we know, every bike is a little different.

After my cam install, I noticed more engine vibration in the 15-20% load range around 2500-3000 rpm. I discovered by leaning out the settings to 14.4 in this area brought my bike back to a stock feel when cruising down the highway (no vibration and mirrors are crystal clear). This was originally at 14.0 after my install (rich, but not too much - but it wasn't the 14.7 that the stock ecu will try and get when not under heavy load with the factory installed narrowband sensors). By raising my AFR from 14.0 to 14.4, my fuel economy also increased by 4MPG. Sure, the motor is a little warmer, but no more than a stock bike. This is what I mean about every bike being a little different.

Edited by ScoreBo 2013-06-26 5:46 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™