You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

2014 Indian Chief
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

rwilly
Posted 2013-07-14 10:31 AM (#141596 - in reply to #140875)
Subject: Re: 2014 Indian Chief

Tourer

seattle, wa
Very interesting indeed.
I will be pleased if they are able to at least get some of the American competition, but I wont be satisfied until they can compete on an International level, forget HD, I'm talking about Honda.

The time is now for America to get back on top of the market, not just in the leisure toy market, I mean the world motors market.
Can Polaris get into more markets with other things? They now have Indian, Victory, Gem, and a few other companies. There is nothing more than I'd like to see than Polaris becoming a worldwide name just like Ford and Chevy used to be.

Edited by rwilly 2013-07-14 10:34 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bigfoot
Posted 2013-07-14 7:32 PM (#141617 - in reply to #140875)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
Ford and Chevy used to be?
USED TO BE?
rwilly
Posted 2013-07-14 9:42 PM (#141622 - in reply to #140875)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Yes, used to be.
How many people are driving Toyotas?
Nowadays the Kias and Hyundai are what is selling.
The American auto industry just about died, remember?

My apologies for taking this thread off topic.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-07-15 7:49 AM (#141628 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i seriously doubt polaris will ever be as big as ford or chevy for the fact that they make products MOST people arent interested in.. I dont mean most people being bikers, i mean, everyone else....... Even in the Biker world, the average interesting in polaris isnt #1 so..........
varyder
Posted 2013-07-15 9:33 AM (#141631 - in reply to #141628)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Arkainzeye - 2013-07-15 8:49 AM i seriously doubt polaris will ever be as big as ford or chevy for the fact that they make products MOST people arent interested in.. I dont mean most people being bikers, i mean, everyone else....... Even in the Biker world, the average interesting in polaris isnt #1 so..........

I guess those of us who ride often forget our world is a very, very small world.  And those who have a passion for rider is an even smaller portion.  With that said, Polaris is a huge company that knows who to market to and how.  For their niche(s) they have done very well.

For me to understand the proportions, count the number of cars on the road on an "average" day compared to the number of bikes.  Out of the hundreds, perhaps a thousand of cars I pass on my way to work, I see at the most 5 bikes, none Victory, in a 31 mile stretch.  Now you have a comparison.  Think about this, I would say out of the thousands of bikes sold in a year of any manufacturer, I believe less than 10% will get ridden more than 3,000 in 5 years.   Just a guess, but I can find anything that will dispute my guess.  To confirm, for me, I know several folks who "own" bikes, and about 10% of them ride enough to have something to say about riding.

With that being said, it is refreshing to see a lot of Harleys over the ricers, especially this year.  I hope to see more and more Victory's and Indians though.

Edited by varyder 2013-07-15 9:35 AM
Boots
Posted 2013-07-15 10:12 AM (#141636 - in reply to #141596)

Tourer

New Mexico
SongFan - 2013-07-14 5:41 AM

This has nothing to do with logic. It is 100% gut and emotion.

Love It!

rwilly - 2013-07-14 9:31 AM

Very interesting indeed.
I will be pleased if they are able to at least get some of the American competition, but I wont be satisfied until they can compete on an International level, forget HD, I'm talking about Honda.

I believe Victory already outsells the Honda on bikes over 1400cc. But as a caveat, although Victory is putting out a fine product, I think Honda is causing most of their own issues.
When Honda quit building in the US they lost a lot of following.
Plus I believe they only have two models over 1400cc. I think that stat was all of the Victory line (all 106ci) vs just two Honda models.
Still, it is quite an accomplishment in just 15 years.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-07-15 12:38 PM (#141645 - in reply to #141631)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
varyder - 2013-07-15 9:33 AM

Arkainzeye - 2013-07-15 8:49 AM i seriously doubt polaris will ever be as big as ford or chevy for the fact that they make products MOST people arent interested in.. I dont mean most people being bikers, i mean, everyone else....... Even in the Biker world, the average interesting in polaris isnt #1 so..........

I guess those of us who ride often forget our world is a very, very small world.? And those who have a passion for rider is an even smaller portion.? With that said, Polaris is a huge company that knows who to market to and how.? For their niche(s) they have done very well.

For me to understand the proportions, count?the number of cars on the road on an "average" day compared to the number of bikes.? Out of the hundreds, perhaps a thousand of cars I pass on my way to work, I see at the most 5 bikes,?none Victory, in a 31 mile stretch.? Now you have a comparison.? Think about this, I would say out of the thousands of bikes sold in a year of any manufacturer, I believe less than 10% will get ridden more than 3,000 in 5 years.?? Just a guess, but I can find anything that will dispute my guess.? To confirm, for me, I know several folks who "own" bikes, and about 10% of them?ride enough to?have something to say about riding.

With that being said, it is refreshing to see a lot of Harleys over the ricers, especially this year.? I hope to see more and more Victory's and Indians though.

Well put.......
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-15 3:34 PM (#141653 - in reply to #141631)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
varyder - 2013-07-15 10:33 AM

I believe less than 10% will get ridden more than 3,000 in 5 years.

Do you really think it's that low? For the most part, I don't ride in the rain (at least not on purpose) and I refuse to ride in the ice/snow and I already have close to 6k miles on my Vision. I expect to get 8-9k this year and I have yet to take a long trip (over a 500 mile day). Nothing like you but still, I don't think I'm in the top 10%.

Other than that, I agree with what you said.

varyder
Posted 2013-07-15 4:52 PM (#141657 - in reply to #141653)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Monkeyman - 2013-07-15 4:34 PM varyder - 2013-07-15 10:33 AM I believe less than 10% will get ridden more than 3,000 in 5 years. Do you really think it's that low? For the most part, I don't ride in the rain (at least not on purpose) and I refuse to ride in the ice/snow and I already have close to 6k miles on my Vision. I expect to get 8-9k this year and I have yet to take a long trip (over a 500 mile day). Nothing like you but still, I don't think I'm in the top 10%. Other than that, I agree with what you said.

Like any other statistic, it is a slice of a relative population.  If you go to different places, say Caves Creek, AZ, and take the poll, you might find it to be 50%.  Or northern Maine, it may be, .1%   I just know in my average neck of the woods, I think I'm pretty close.  Even the guy that inspired me to ride again only has 150,000 miles on his 10 year old Wing.  He ridee alot, has a 100 mile one way trip to work, takes at least one long trip a year.  He's a heavy rider, with his average is 15,000 a year.  The next guy that I know has had his V-rod for about a year and he's already got 3,000 miles on this bike.  One guy who just sold his, bought it brand new Harley in 2006 or so, only had a couple of hundred miles on it.  He's the light rider. but he had all the appearl, pictures, stickers that showed he's a Harley rider.  A couple of other guys that I work with put only a few hundred miles on their bike a year.  That is usually on a special weekend or two, that's it.

The above average rider, to me, puts about 5,000 miles a year on their bike, but sell it before it gets to 25,000 miles.   This is no more thasn conversation and spectulation.  But I do recall, if I can recall, when I had 76,000 miles or so on my bike I met a Harley rider that bragged he was a "heavy rider" and had about 26,000 miles on his 2006 Harley.  He had to catch his breath when I showed him my odi with my mileage on my 2008 Vision.

If I had my Indian right now, I would only ride it two days a week, and probably only average about 3,000 out of my 25,000 a year.

So, here's a question.

It's been a couple of day that you were not able to ride.  It's Saturday and you're itching to ride, but you have chores to do, so any long ride is out of the question.  You need a box of nails and need to go to the hardware store. It looks stormy outside, do you:

1. Ride your bike, even if you might get drenched.
  2. Wait until the weather clears up some and then go.
  3. Take the car.

Edited by varyder 2013-07-15 5:01 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-15 5:31 PM (#141659 - in reply to #140875)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I wasn't trying to argue with you, Chris. Just giving my opinion.

I'm a "heavy rider" but only because I weigh 280 pounds. Seriously, I ride whenever I get the chance. I only put a couple thousand miles on my last bike ('07 Nomad) in a year because it wasn't comfortable. I've only put a little under 6k miles on my Vision in the past 10 months but plan on another couple thousand before riding season is "over" (for me). For what I paid for my Vision, I want to get as much out of it as I can. I don't know if/when I'll sell/trade it. It might be after 150k miles or it might be next month but I won't go without a bike.

In answer to your question, is it currently storming? Can you see lightning in the distance? If so, I'll take the car to get the nails then ride later. (Chores can wait until later...or the next day.) If it just looks like it "might" storm, I'll take the bike and chance it.

I've seen your "middle of a snowstorm coming home from work" pic a few months back. I just wouldn't have fun with that. Doesn't mean I don't like riding my bike. It just means I like riding it differently.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-07-15 5:54 PM (#141660 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I usually think I ride pretty much until I see Varyder's totals. Last year 17,000+ on two different bikes. About 5,000 on the RoadGlide before I sold it, 12,000 on the '08 vision. This year probably will be a split on a 11,000 mile total. Two Visions now the ole trusty '08 and the new '13...........
varyder
Posted 2013-07-15 6:12 PM (#141661 - in reply to #141659)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Monkeyman - 2013-07-15 6:31 PM I wasn't trying to argue with you, Chris. Just giving my opinion. I'm a "heavy rider" but only because I weigh 280 pounds. Seriously, I ride whenever I get the chance. I only put a couple thousand miles on my last bike ('07 Nomad) in a year because it wasn't comfortable. I've only put a little under 6k miles on my Vision in the past 10 months but plan on another couple thousand before riding season is "over" (for me). For what I paid for my Vision, I want to get as much out of it as I can. I don't know if/when I'll sell/trade it. It might be after 150k miles or it might be next month but I won't go without a bike. In answer to your question, is it currently storming? Can you see lightning in the distance? If so, I'll take the car to get the nails then ride later. (Chores can wait until later...or the next day.) If it just looks like it "might" storm, I'll take the bike and chance it. I've seen your "middle of a snowstorm coming home from work" pic a few months back. I just wouldn't have fun with that. Doesn't mean I don't like riding my bike. It just means I like riding it differently.

I'm messing back.  Everybody rides what they feel comfortable with, and that's on so many different levels.  While I have rode about 10 miles in snow on I-95 one January evening in 2011, I don't make that a habit.  I love the work picture, it is true, but I went straight through the light to the parking lot on the otherside when I saw the road was not as clear as I had hoped to be.  Cars are not to kind and I was more afraid of getting run over.  It was extremely slick but I was able to make to the lot without dropping it.  I saw the picture the next day by my coworker.

As far as the question, I don't have a "couple of days" that I don't ride, unless bike is broke, so in essense it's a trick question.  I rarely check the weather anymore and I laugh at myself when I get "caught" in the downpours.  I never planned to ride as much as I do but it is harder for me not to ride.

While I may not get one for a while, I'm still hoping to get a first year Indian Chief.  The thing is, it's already taking on a persona all it's own in my mind.  From when and how I will ride it, and what I will wear. 

Edited by varyder 2013-07-15 6:15 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-15 6:57 PM (#141664 - in reply to #141661)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
varyder - 2013-07-15 7:12 PM

As far as the question, I don't have a "couple of days" that I don't ride, unless bike is broke, so in essense it's a trick question.? I rarely check the weather anymore and I laugh at myself when I get "caught" in the downpours.? I never planned to ride as much as I do but it is harder for me not to ride.

I don't mind getting a bit wet if I get caught in the rain. As long as I'm doing 50+, only the tips of my boots and my helmet get wet (which you obviously know). It's the traction (or lack of it) that bothers me. In my mind, I know the bike will stay up in most rain, but it doesn't matter.

There's a chance of t storms tomorrow afternoon (and it's going to be hot and humid again) so I'll start out in the morning. If the storms move in earlier than expected or if I ride longer than I anticipate and get caught, I'll get over it but I won't enjoy the ride home as much and I'll probably stick to the highway instead of the backroads. I might even take my jacket along as I'll feel better wearing it if it rains. (Just in case.)
varyder
Posted 2013-07-15 7:19 PM (#141667 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Jacket, yes, it keeps a lot of rain off. It's the seat of my pants that get wet that I don't like. The water will run up and down the seat. I don't like the back roads either when it rains, especially in VA. Last week I believed I was heading for diaster, but it seems I got a little into it and did a slight countersteer, but then I slowed down. It's that stinking patching material they might as well throw down oil. I've rode hard on the interstate when it's pouring without losing confidence. Maybe just stupidity on my part, but I don't like going slow either, I don't want the macho man in the hi-rise Ford Pickup to run me over. He'll hydroplane long before I will though. It's the fresh starting rain that I have my most worries because of stuff on the road that gets slick when it first gets wet. After a few minutes of steady rain it will wash off. I've learned so far when riding in the rain to know when to hold them and when to fold them.

I'll just say this and move on, if your ride is not fun, don't do it. The real thing is is to finish your ride to ride again. If the ride has you on pins and needles, its time to take a break. Riding is always about your comfort level, not about what someone else is crazy enough to do. The cliche stands for a reason "ride your ride, not somebody elses"

Keeping to the subject:

I want to make my first ride to Sturgis on an Indian. (maybe I'll win the 2014 Chief contest, and I'll ride my Vision there, and the Indian back... )

Edited by varyder 2013-07-15 7:22 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-15 7:23 PM (#141668 - in reply to #140875)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
While the Indian isn't for me, it's a really nice looking bike. Hope you win.
varyder
Posted 2013-07-15 7:47 PM (#141669 - in reply to #141668)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Monkeyman - 2013-07-15 8:23 PM While the Indian isn't for me, it's a really nice looking bike. Hope you win.

You heathern.. Thanks!!!

I won two tickets to an R-Rated movie when I was 16, a case of Cokes at a radio station 60 miles away, and tickets to Harlem Globetrotters about 3 years ago.  I was never able to take advantage of any of my winnings except the Globetrotters, I sold the tickets...

I hope I'll be able to take advantage of the Indian when I win it...

Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-15 8:11 PM (#141673 - in reply to #141669)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
varyder - 2013-07-15 8:47 PM

You heathen.

LOL...The Few, The Proud, The Indian haters. (I don't hate the Indians but I couldn't find another word for "meh".) They really ARE nice looking bikes but they don't do what I want a bike to do (i.e. cruise, stereo, full fairing, etc). Can't see spending that kind of change on something that "just looks good". If I'd wanted to do that, I would have bought a Harley. :D
bigfoot
Posted 2013-07-16 3:23 PM (#141718 - in reply to #140875)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
Average motorcycle mileage per year is between 1,600 to 1,800 (DOT) miles.

55,000 on my 2011 Vision and 38,000 on my last scooter in 3 years. (Yep, it was a 650 Burgman scooter that I rode in 31 states).

I have Frogg Toggs and a modular helmet that I carry on the bike all the time, so I will only "not ride" if it's lightning. (I'm an electrician and fully know that we have ZERO protection from lightning)
I've left Akron Ohio heading to Key West Florida with it raining and it continued to rain until I hit Georgia while never getting above 55 degrees.
Without the heated grips I would have called it day.

As far as hydroplaning, I haven't yet experienced that on the freeways and I'm always traveling 5 MPH over the limit.

Wet or Hot tar snakes suck.
Bourbon Street in the rain sucks due to trolley tracks, metal grating, and manhole covers every 10 feet.
Puddles of anti-freeze at toll booths suck. (That's the main reason I got an E-Z-Pass)

I don't commute since I'm retired, so all my mileage is pure pleasure riding.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-16 3:31 PM (#141720 - in reply to #141718)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
bigfoot - 2013-07-16 4:23 PM

Average motorcycle mileage per year is between 1,600 to 1,800 (DOT) miles.

That sucks. I did that on my last bike and I didn't even really like it.
rcb
Posted 2013-07-18 12:12 PM (#141803 - in reply to #140875)

Puddle Jumper

So. Indiana
While I will probably never buy one, I'm very interested to see it. I may even take on for a test ride. Glad to see it's a ground up project as well. AND it's relatively affordable to boot. Certainly compared to the previous/existing Indian offerings. I love the style if nothing else.

While I don't see Indian trying to take on Honda, I've been very interested in the Vision as it's at least partially out of the mold of the American cruiser. A real effort at a unique, modern bike.

I currently ride a Honda ST. I commute on bikes so, they've got to be absolutely reliable. It's what has recently drawn me to Victory, particularly the Vision. I'm hoping that Victory will bring out some other bikes out of the common mold. Once they get to a place they can do that safely and wisely... they'll be doing something Harley has had a lot of trouble doing.

I was very enthused about Buell's, but sadly the dealers around me treated them like red-headed step children who just burnt the house down.

Bring on Indian. I'll be really interested to see a Scout!

Edited by rcb 2013-07-18 12:17 PM
XRsteve
Posted 2013-07-22 10:11 AM (#141953 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
13 days till test rides.........
Oldman47
Posted 2013-07-22 3:45 PM (#141962 - in reply to #141718)

Tourer

Central Illinois

bigfoot - 2013-07-16 3:23 PM Average motorcycle mileage per year is between 1,600 to 1,800 (DOT) miles. ...

Wet or Hot tar snakes suck. ...

I don't commute since I'm retired, so all my mileage is pure pleasure riding.

I find that annual mileage ridiculous. I bought my Vision in May this year and it now has 2526 miles on it. I am so low on mileage that I actually noticed it just before I parked. When my HD Road Glide was near 16000 miles, I could not even tell you how many hundreds, much less the last mile. You only really notice the miles when the bike is new, and mine feels brand new to me.  

All tar snakes suck, agreed.

I retired 2 years ago at age 64 but I still have a reason to leave the house every day. I am building myself a new home so I commute to my building site every day, about 18 miles each way. I no longer have a clock to worry about, in fact my wife bought me a clock that gives the day of the week instead of the time. With no regular employment it is easy to lose track of what day it is. I am embarrassed to say that I use that day of the week clock more often than any regular clock these days. I leave home as soon as I can after sunup to take advantage of the cool early part of the day. By 2 PM it is so hot I no longer want to work so I ride home and crawl into my air conditioned present home.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-07-22 8:16 PM (#141982 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i cant even remember the last time i saw another victory on the road ? and im talking Pittsburgh pa not some little piss ant town no one has ever heard of... IM not saying there isn't any other Victory in the burg... there just aren't enough of them to see them when you are out.. Hell i rode from pittsburgh to Wyoming and even stopped in the home town of Victory... and i still only saw 5 Victory's that entire trip! lol I Iike that my bike is special.. i have people that think victory is a model of bike... lol
SongFan
Posted 2013-07-31 10:00 PM (#142334 - in reply to #140875)
Subject: RE: 2014 Indian Chief

Visionary

Memphis

The Indian Springfield, MA assembly line in 1953.  When men were men....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVHXjJHIoo

DetroitDetomaso
Posted 2013-08-01 12:45 AM (#142335 - in reply to #140875)

Cruiser

Las Vegas
I'm really looking forward to the new Indians. See you in Sturgis.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™