You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

2014 Indian Chief
Jump to page : < ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... >
Now viewing page 14 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2013-10-01 7:50 PM (#146123 - in reply to #140875)
Subject: RE: 2014 Indian Chief

Visionary

Memphis
I couldn't find any Indian Wannabe stuff online so I'm kind of limited in my options.

Edited by SongFan 2013-10-01 8:12 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
atvtinker
Posted 2013-10-01 10:58 PM (#146137 - in reply to #140875)
Subject: Re: 2014 Indian Chief

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Went and test rode an Indian at the demo days @ Gregory Polaris this past weekend. Don't get me wrong, but I think Polaris missed a few things that are going to make a few people regret buying one. First off, the dash is nearly impossible to see in broad daylight. Can't believe they would even let this one get out like this. Second, is no one noticing the heat coming off the rear cylinder that will cook your right thigh on any ride longer than 30 minutes? Third, the engine overrun when decelerating is a little un-nerving when coming to a stop. Feels like it is going to keep going through an intersection when you're trying to stop. Fourth, the power is not all that it is being touted as. I would have thought that it would have been more powerful given the numbers stated. There was one thing that I did like about the bikes; the smoothness of the ride. I test rode both the Chieftain and the Classic and both had a smoother ride than my Vision. I don't know what kind of dampening they had on the shocks, but they are definitely better than my Vision. They didn't try to wallow in an highway on/off ramp situation at high speed which was nice. Having looked at the bikes close up and personal, they look nice, but I know I won't be trading my Vision on one of these.
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-02 4:23 AM (#146140 - in reply to #146137)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I've stated before , I wouldn't trade my Vision for one but might add to the stable some day. It's not a real 1940 Indian (and considering my demands and needs on a bike, I'm glad it's not) just like a modern Harley is not a real 1940 Harley. I'm a real rider and one day I might be a real Indian rider. That's why , in a sea of cookie cutter streetglides, I ride Victory, I like different.
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-02 6:41 AM (#146142 - in reply to #146122)

Cruiser

willtill - 2013-10-01 8:29 PM

Well stated. Thank you.

I look at the new Indian and can afford one; and would like one. But with all of the modern technology infused into it.... it's really not an Indian.

It's a wannabe. A ghost of the previous example. It's hard to justify a purchase of one with a self exclaimed "I ride an Indian". Because....

....you really don't.

To quote Uncle Ted, "are you kiddin' me?" What did you expect, a kick start and suicide shift?

It's an Indian all right. It says so right on the tank.

Polaris bought Indian to bring it back to the glory years of the company before WW2. If this initial release isn't proof enough that they're seriously dedicated to that, just give it a few more years. Great things are expected out of the Spirit Lake Indians in the future. Patience.
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-02 7:04 AM (#146143 - in reply to #146142)

Visionary

To quote Uncle Ted, "are you kiddin' me?" What did you expect, a kick start and suicide shift?

It's an Indian all right. It says so right on the tank.

Polaris bought Indian to bring it back to the glory years of the company before WW2. If this initial release isn't proof enough that they're seriously dedicated to that, just give it a few more years. Great things are expected out of the Spirit Lake Indians in the future. Patience.
+1

Edited by jimtom 2013-10-02 7:05 AM
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-02 8:49 AM (#146146 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Never would have thought I'd get 14 pages of responses and post on this subject..............
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-02 8:53 AM (#146147 - in reply to #146146)

Visionary

it's very exciting to me , it's Polaris, it's American. It's history being made and we are getting in on the ground floor , so to speak. It's a very popular subject with all types of riders.
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-02 9:40 AM (#146148 - in reply to #146146)

Cruiser

XRsteve - 2013-10-02 9:49 AM

Never would have thought I'd get 14 pages of responses and post on this subject..............

Go check out some of the Harley forums.
There are some lengthy Indian discussions going on there, and not necessarily in such a positive light! lol
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-02 9:42 AM (#146149 - in reply to #146147)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
jimtom - 2013-10-02 8:53 AM

it's very exciting to me , it's Polaris, it's American. It's history being made and we are getting in on the ground floor , so to speak. It's a very popular subject with all types of riders.

jimtom, you are right there. The HoopLah has worn off some, people are waiting now to see them on the road with owners putting real miles on them. I really hope they can get 4000 units out by the end of the year.......
I haven't had a chance to ride one yet. But I have seen them in person. It is an excellent time to be a bagger or full touring rig rider. What with the new Indians, Our Victory's, the updated Harleys and the Honda F6B. I'll have to tell ya I'm really inpressed with the elctronics and 6.5 display offered on the new Harleys. It may start a leap frogging contest between manufacturers...............If so we'll all benefit !!!
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-02 9:51 AM (#146150 - in reply to #146149)

Visionary

yes, we are all benefiting from competitive market place. "Choice is here" , "Ride One and You'll Own One" . Everyone is bringing their "A" game. It's a great time to be a rider.
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-02 10:39 AM (#146151 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

I was at a retirement party Sunday night and one of the guys has a fairly new Harley Crossbones.  He hates the keyfob.  When I asked him what he thought about the Rushmore bikes he nearly had a stroke.  It's the end of the world as we know it.  The Mother Company has bowed down to a bunch of posers and he does not consider the Rushmore bikes to be "real" Harleys at all. 

When guys come out and bash something that has been revived or updated but it is not considered a "real" one (instantly thrown into the wannabe catagory) I just chuckle.  I honestly don't think they get how they come across.  (Think Biker Owl poster.)

It was impossible for Polaris to revive Indian and have everyone agree that whatever they came out with would be a "real" one.  "Where's the Scout!?"  "Where's the inline 4!?"  "I wanted them to make a flat-tracker!"  The fact that they started with the engine and built it up from there was genius.  It gave us an instant visual connection with the original bikes that went way beyond some swoopy fenders stuck on a Harley aftermarket set-up. 

The Thunderstroke 111 will never be able to run with a Freedom 106.  It's not meant to.  The Thunderstroke was built for looks first and engineered around those limitations.  The Freedom 106 was built from the inside out and is an amazing platform for guys like Lloyd to push the limits on. 

My 2014 Indian Chief Vintage is not a Hendee Indian.  It's not a DuPont Indian.  It's not a Gilroy Indian.  It's not a Stellican Indian.  It's a Polaris Indian.  To say it's not a "real' Indian or a wannabe...whatever.  You were never going to be satisfied, no matter what they came out with.

varyder
Posted 2013-10-02 11:17 AM (#146152 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

There's no doubt there is a level of competition, enough to make folks leave Victory and go Indian. My only disappointment that I find in the Indian is they didn't wrap the bike around the rider. Victory has done very well in this department and I had expected this in the Polaris Indian. I'm not comparing my Vision against the Indian, no comparison, I'm comparing what I want in a ride with what the ride offers. I don't even take in account at all the keyless ignition, bluetooth, etc, etc. It's always the ride first, anything else is just fodder to fool with. When I sat on the Indian, I was suddenly reminded of my days of riding a Honday CB350, sitting up on top of the bike. I never could get that relaxed feel on a very short demo ride with constant stop and go except for a very few miles. I would have loved to take it out for a about an hour and give a real assessment. I don't expect anyone to see anything the way I do. I knew the Vision was mine when I read 26.5 in seat height and large floorboards on a V-Twin platform.

The Indian is what it is and does it very well, but I do hope they build the next generation around the rider and not from past generations.  However, Mr. Leno has an old Indian that thought about the rider, don't recall the year or the model, but on youtube he said it had the all day ride feel unlike other bikes of its time.  Sorta like an early Vision, sitting in, not on.

Edited by varyder 2013-10-02 11:20 AM
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-02 11:48 AM (#146153 - in reply to #146151)

Visionary

SongFan - 2013-10-02 9:39 AM

I was at a retirement party Sunday night and one of the guys has a fairly new Harley Crossbones.? He hates the keyfob.? When I asked him what he thought about the Rushmore bikes he nearly had a stroke.? It's the end of the world as we know it.? The Mother Company has bowed down to a bunch of posers and he does not consider the Rushmore bikes to be "real" Harleys at all.?

When guys come out and bash something that has been revived or updated but it is not considered a "real" one (instantly thrown into the wannabe catagory) I just chuckle.? I honestly don't think they get how they come across.? (Think Biker Owl poster.)

It was impossible for Polaris to revive Indian and have everyone agree that whatever they came out with would be a "real" one.? "Where's the Scout!?"? "Where's the inline 4!?"? "I wanted them to make a flat-tracker!"? The fact that they started with the engine and built it up from there was genius.? It gave us an instant visual?connection with the original bikes that went way beyond some swoopy fenders stuck on a Harley aftermarket set-up.?

The Thunderstroke 111 will never be able to run with a Freedom 106.? It's not meant to.? The Thunderstroke was built for looks first and engineered around those limitations.? The Freedom 106 was built from the inside out and is an amazing platform for guys like Lloyd to push the limits on.?

My 2014 Indian Chief Vintage is not a Hendee Indian.? It's not a DuPont Indian.? It's not a Gilroy Indian.? It's not a Stellican Indian.? It's a Polaris Indian.? To say it's not a "real' Indian or a wannabe...whatever.? You were never going to be satisfied, no matter what they came out with.

Bingo! You nailed it, especially with the final sentence. I don't know what I will buy next. I have years to decide but the Indian and of course Victory will be a consideration .There will be even more "choice" when I'm in position. I don't decide "real" by what one rides but that one rides. If someone puts in remarkable mileage, that's as real as it gets and what they ride is obviously real to have carried them down the road for so many miles. There are people out there with 30% of my annual mileage, never ridden in adverse weather, no ironbutts, etc that will say my Vision is not real. I say put your motorcycle where your mouth is to those people. I met a hd rider at Cracker Barrel the other day. I was going to shame him with my mileage like I had all those that came before him lol. He had 200K on his bike and while he did have some work done in that time it was not as much work as I thought would be needed for an hd to reach that mileage. I had to change my opinion of what was real by my own self imposed standards, he was a real rider with a real motorcycle. You could tell he lived it. Obviously, the Indian is untested as far as longevity but I have full confidence that this Polaris Indian will go the distance just like my Victorys. It's the same company, same principals for manufacturing , same quality product development and testing policies so by my standard of real, I predict the Polaris Indian owner is a real Indian owner and as an extension of him/her , the bike will be real too.

Edited by jimtom 2013-10-02 12:03 PM
pollolittle
Posted 2013-10-02 12:38 PM (#146154 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Song fan - I'll see if I can get you a sticker for the tank that says "sorta India!". Since it isn't a real Indian. I hope they don't put an Indian badge on the side of it. What a bunch of knuckleheads! Neither is the real computer your typing on a real computer anymore. Sheesh! Skew from original design and none of us would type on a phone.
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-02 12:42 PM (#146155 - in reply to #146154)

Visionary

pollolittle - 2013-10-02 11:38 AM

What a bunch of knuckleheads! QUOTE]

There are no more knuckleheads being produced sir, so the post knucklehead units are not real Harleys

SongFan
Posted 2013-10-02 2:41 PM (#146157 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

It just kills me that the guys who come across as so passionate about the "real" Indians have most likely never even ridden one.  I'll bet if I handed them the key to a 1948 Chief, they couldn't even get it started.

For all of you other guys who like motorcycles for what they are, no matter what the year, here's how to start a 1948 Chief.  (This is what YouTube was made for.  I'd love to ride with this guy.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99z12hqrMzw

XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-02 5:13 PM (#146158 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
You are so right on that Songfan. My cousin spent $15,000 redoing a 1949 Chief to period perfect. After that he rode it about a year ( very little ) and then sold it. I'm glad I got to ride it. The throttle being on the left is kinda weird and the rock and roll clutch would be strange for most but I had experience with a mouse trap on old Harleys so that was no big deal. The shifter on the right is a little off too. One thing very noticeable was the complete lack of power. The throttle only controlled the noise it made, the speed was one- slow. I say that in jest but it's true. Remember bikes from that time period might have had 30 HP at the tire, it was enough, alot of roads back then were dirt............
varyder
Posted 2013-10-02 6:10 PM (#146159 - in reply to #146157)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Mr. Leno's 1933 Indian 4.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPRbMYQMbk

SongFan
Posted 2013-10-02 6:28 PM (#146162 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

XRsteve,  I'd end up exactly like your cousin.  I can afford pretty much anything I want.  I could track down an Indian 4 and become a slave to it.  I know what it would take to restore and keep up an old bike like that and do it right.  That has absolutely no appeal to me.  I have all the respect in the world for the guys who keep those treasures running (and put them on YouTube). 

Not one guy in my circle of friends has an antique bike.  (One guy has a 1982 GL1100 but that thing is so reliable, it doesn't count.)  I need reliability over everything else.  I refuse to be the guy who goes on a ride with friends and is the weakest link.  I'm just not wired to be an antique bike owner (or Ducati/BMW for that matter), no matter how cool they are.  High maintenance just sucks the fun out of it for me.

Red Indian Chief with metal fenders, LED lighting, throttle by wire, ABS, 5 year maintenance plan....ahhhhh, pure heaven.

jimtom
Posted 2013-10-03 4:21 AM (#146172 - in reply to #146159)

Visionary

varyder - 2013-10-02 5:10 PM

Mr. Leno's 1933 Indian 4.? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPRbMYQMbk

?

?

I've seen this, cool video
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-03 4:23 AM (#146173 - in reply to #146162)

Visionary

SongFan - 2013-10-02 5:28 PM

XRsteve,? I'd end up exactly like your cousin.? I can afford pretty much anything?I want.? I could track down an Indian 4 and become a slave to it.? I know what it would take to restore and?keep up an old bike like that and do?it?right.? That has absolutely no appeal to me.? I have all the respect in the world for the guys who keep those treasures running (and put them on YouTube).?

Not one guy in my circle of friends has an antique bike.? (One guy has a 1982 GL1100 but that thing is so reliable, it doesn't count.)? I need reliability over everything else.? I refuse to be the guy who goes on a ride with friends and is the weakest link.? I'm just not wired to be an antique bike owner (or Ducati/BMW for that matter), no matter how cool they are.? High maintenance just sucks the fun out of it for me.

Red Indian Chief with metal fenders, LED lighting, throttle by wire, ABS, 5 year maintenance plan....ahhhhh, pure heaven.

I'm with ya on that. High maint. is for those that want to wrench and that's fine , I want to ride. Wrenching cuts into my riding.
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-03 9:32 AM (#146183 - in reply to #146151)

Cruiser

SongFan - 2013-10-02 11:39 AM

...It was impossible for Polaris to revive Indian and have everyone agree that whatever they came out with would be a "real" one.? "Where's the Scout!?"? "Where's the inline 4!?"? "I wanted them to make a flat-tracker!"? ...

Great post.
Even among the Gilroy/KM Indian faithful, they're clamoring for 2-tone paint jobs. Funny stuff.

XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-03 10:15 AM (#146184 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Human nature I guess. If you have $100,000.00 in your 401K you want 125..............
varyder
Posted 2013-10-03 10:39 AM (#146186 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
To my point, I don't want a 2014 "1948" Indian Chief, I want a 2014 Indian Chief. I still feel that my Vision is closer to where Indian would have been if they never stopped production. Think about it, Harley is stuck in the 50s, right where Indian went under. I'm amused at best with all the "real" talk, but Victory is as real they come.
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-03 10:41 AM (#146187 - in reply to #146186)

Visionary

Victory is as real as it gets, I agree. I disagree with what others perceive as "not real".

Edited by jimtom 2013-10-03 10:44 AM
Jump to page : < ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... >
Now viewing page 14 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™