You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

2014 Indian Chief
Jump to page : < ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >
Now viewing page 16 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-13 11:53 PM (#146628 - in reply to #146570)
Subject: Re: 2014 Indian Chief

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
johnnyvision - 2013-10-12 6:48 PM

Weee it has 76 horse with 110 torque what the hell Indian you couldn't do better then that
Kids mopeds are going to blow them away

Is that true ?? Yes I know I was the one that said the power would fall off in dramatic fashion after 4000 rpm because of the almost 4 1/2" stroke but I didn't think that far. I was hoping it would stay in the low 80's on the HP. That number ( 76 HP ) is not good, I'm sure someone is making a fuel controller, cams and free flowing mufflers right now. But a 2 valve engine with one common intake plenum is NOT gonna see the gains we enjoy on our 4 valve OHC engines. OK let the games begin.............
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Boots
Posted 2013-10-14 11:33 AM (#146650 - in reply to #140875)

Tourer

New Mexico
Can't find HP, but according to Indian website:

"Thunder Stroke 111
The new Thunder Stroke 111 engine delivers an incredible 119 ft-lbs of torque and features styling that pays tribute to legendary Indian Motorcycle engines of the past."

Edited by Boots 2013-10-14 11:34 AM
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-14 12:26 PM (#146654 - in reply to #140875)
Subject: RE: 2014 Indian Chief

Visionary

Memphis

Here's what jv was referring to:

XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-14 5:27 PM (#146682 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Songfan, do you know is the rev limiter set at 5000 rpm or did they just cut the engine there ?? Even a 4.45" stroke engine could easily AND safely be reved to 5500 rpm, piston speed would be 4079 fpm. That's not unsafe at all and I'm sure that one piece crank could handle 6250 rpm. I bet there are head porters just itching to get the hands on some Indian heads..................
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-15 6:12 AM (#146707 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Heading down to Daytona for Biketoberfest this morning, should take a test ride on Th morning..............
varyder
Posted 2013-10-15 7:57 AM (#146709 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
hope you enjoy it. I wanted to go to Charlotte the first weekend in Charlotte but classes among everything has be stretched. I believe this will be your first ride and I'm anxious to hear what you have to say.
varyder
Posted 2013-10-15 8:52 AM (#146713 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Duh, I meant to say the first weekend in October...shows how overwhelmed I am.
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-15 2:30 PM (#146725 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

My buddy picked up his blue Vintage yesterday.  I took it for a spin around the neighborhood this morning.  I can't get over how quiet the engine/tranny is compared to the '08 Vision.  Absolutely no clunk in the tranny.  NO WHINE AT ALL!!!   Stage 1 exhaust note seems slightly louder than my Vision Stage 1.  Push the On button on the dash and just tap the starter button.  You don't have to hold it down until everything engages.  Once the starter button feels a pulse, it takes over from there.  Cool.

Throttle by wire felt great, no lag.  Nice clutch (cable, not hydraulic).  Big kickstand tang.  Regular Sylvania headlight/running light bulbs, not LED.  Headlight changes out by removing six bolts on the housing.  Nice. 

Windshield is heavy, very solid.  We took it off and I rode with it off.

You can just about take the whole bike apart with the three allen wrenches included.  Metric bike.   Two oil drain plugs.  Oil filter is on the front of the engine, easy.  5.5 quarts with filter change.

Seat comes off with three bolts.  Two side panels just pull right off.  With the seat and side panels removed you can get to every plug connection, fuse, battery and the rear shock.  Rear shock is a nice Fox Racing unit that is factory adjusted halfway up the the theaded body for pre-load.   Felt great for one up.  Need a big shock spanner wrench to adjust.   Battery comes out by removing one bolt under the seat, nice.  We put a battery tender pigtail on his battery.  Tucks in right above the shock. 

Wiring loom going from the from the headlight housing, under the tank, to the battery area is about 1" thick and very neatly routed.  Look under the bike at the oil lines running along the right side and they are super neat with parallel spacers.  Very professional looking.  The welds under the seat for the aluminum frame are aviation quality.  If you have ever tried to weld aluminum, you will appreciate how nice they are.

Oil dipstick looks killer and comes with a special star-pattern wrench to remove.  Drain plugs are side by side near the rear center of the case.  Oil is 20W-40 semi-synthetic.  5,000 mile change interval (after the 500 mile break-in.)  Check the oil with bike standing straight up.  Fork oil interval is 15,000 miles.

If key fob dies or gets lost, you push the on button on the dash and use the turn signal button to cycle through a 4-digit pin.  If the pin was 1234 you would push left turn for one flash, right for two, left for three and right for four.  Then hit start.  Cool.  Left side trigger to toggle through the dash displays.  ABS light on the dash stays on until you get above 5mph.  I rode with a full face helmet and had to look down very slightly to see the speedo.  Not as bad as I thought it would be. 

Running lights come on with a button down beneath the handlebars on the lower left side of the fork.  War bonnet light on the fender stays on all the time.  Solid glass face is cool.  LED tail light and turn signals are very bright.

Brakes feel perfect.  Brake reservoirs are gorgeous.  Frame is super tight.  Turns better than I thought it would.  Suspension is fantastic.  Wish the floorboards flexed, just in case.  Tires feel grippy (on dry pavement anyway).  Back tire will be a pain to keep clean and shiny white.

Leather on the seats and bags is awesome.  Stitching is killer.  Embossed on the seat.  Pics online make it look more orange than it really is.  The company that makes the leather for these bikes is the same company that made the leather for the original Indians back in the 30's and 40's.  Cool.  Leather strip on the tank is very confidence inspiring so you don't have to worry about buckle issues.  Bags pop off with two quick release tabs inside the bags.  Leather conditioner included.

Back ordered stuff includes:  front and rear bumpers, driver/passenger backrests.  Not sure what else.

I should have counted how many places the name Indian appears on this bike.  I can think of 18 right off the bat.  When you are on the right side of this bike, all you can think about is the engine staring at you.  Those jugs are so huge.  Finned head covers are so over the top.

Best stock motorcycle horn I have ever heard.  Definitely not a beep-beep.

Well, I learned all of this in about two hours this morning.  Can't wait to get mine soon!

Edited by SongFan 2013-10-15 2:41 PM
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-15 2:42 PM (#146726 - in reply to #146725)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
SongFan - 2013-10-15 1:30 PM

My buddy picked up his blue Vintage yesterday.? I took it for a spin around the neighborhood this morning.? I can't get over how quiet the engine/tranny is compared to the '08 Vision.? Absolutely no clunk in the tranny.? NO WHINE AT ALL!!!?? Stage 1 exhaust note?seems slightly?louder than my Vision Stage 1.? Push the On button on the dash and just tap the starter button.? You don't have to hold it down until everything engages.? Once the starter button feels a pulse, it takes over from there.? Cool.

Throttle by wire felt great, no lag.? Nice clutch (cable, not hydraulic).? Big kickstand tang.? Regular Sylvania headlight/running light bulbs, not LED.? Headlight changes out by removing six bolts on the housing.? Nice.?

Windshield is heavy, very solid.? We took it off and I rode with it off.

You can just about take the whole bike apart with the three allen wrenches included.? Metric?bike.? ?Two oil drain plugs.? Oil filter is on the front of the engine, easy.? 5.5 quarts with filter change.

Seat comes off with three bolts.? Two side panels just pull right off.? With the seat and side panels removed you can get to every plug connection, fuse, battery and the rear shock.? Rear shock is a nice Fox Racing unit that is factory adjusted halfway up the the theaded body for pre-load.?? Felt great for one up.? Need a big shock spanner wrench to adjust.?? Battery comes out by removing one bolt?under the seat, nice.? We put a battery tender pigtail on his battery.? Tucks in right above the shock.?

Wiring loom going from the from the headlight housing, under the tank, to the battery area is about 1" thick and very neatly routed.? Look under the bike at the oil lines running along the right side and they are super neat with parallel spacers.? Very professional looking.? The welds under the seat for the?aluminum frame are aviation quality.? If you have ever tried to weld aluminum, you will appreciate how nice they are.

Oil dipstick looks killer and comes with a special star-pattern wrench to remove.? Drain plugs are side by side near the rear center of the case.? Oil is 20W-40 semi-synthetic.? 5,000 mile?change interval (after the 500 mile break-in.)? Check the oil with bike standing straight up.? Fork oil interval is 15,000 miles.

If key fob dies or gets lost, you push the on button on the dash and use the turn signal button to cycle through a 4-digit pin.? If the pin was 1234 you would push left turn for one flash, right for two, left for three and right for four.? Then hit start.? Cool.? Left side trigger to toggle through the dash displays.? ABS light on the dash stays on until you get above 5mph.? I rode with a full face helment and had to look down very slightly to see the speedo.? Not as bad as I thought it would be.?

Running lights come on with a button down beneath the handlebars on the lower left side of the fork.? War bonnet light on the fender stays on all the time.? Solid glass face is cool.? LED tail light and turn signals are very bright.

Brakes feel perfect.? Brake reservoirs are gorgeous.? Frame is super tight.? Turns better than I thought it would.? Suspension is fantastic.? Wish the floorboards flexed, just in case.? Tires feel grippy (on dry pavement anyway).? Back tire will be a pain to keep clean and shiny white.

Leather on the seats and bags is awesome.? Stitching is killer.? Embossed on the seat.? Pics online make it look more orange than it really is.? The company that makes the leather for these bikes is the same company that made the leather for the original Indians back in the 30's and 40's.? Cool.? Leather strip on the tank is very confidence inspiring so you don't have to worry about buckle issues.? Bags pop of with two quick release tabs inside the bags.

Back ordered stuff includes:? front and rear bumpers, driver/passenger backrests.? Not sure what else.

I should have counted how many places the name Indian appears on this bike.? I can think of 16 right off the bat.? When you are on the right side of this bike, all you can think about is the engine staring at you.? Those jugs are so huge.? Finned head covers are so over the top.

Well, I learned all of this in about?two hours this morning.? Can't wait to get mine soon!

?

?

Thank you for that.
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-15 9:07 PM (#146742 - in reply to #140875)

Cruiser

Mine came home with me today.
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-15 9:33 PM (#146744 - in reply to #146742)

Visionary

Memphis

Double Vision - 2013-10-15 9:07 PM Mine came home with me today.

Impressions?

willtill
Posted 2013-10-15 9:57 PM (#146745 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Fork oil change interval is 15,000 miles ??? Again? Like the Vision? WTF? Why the hell is Fork oil change interval is 15,000 miles ? That damned oil in the forks should be good for a minimum of 30,000 miles. At least.

I know of know other bike that requires such frequent front fork oil changes. This short interval is ridiculous.

Edited by willtill 2013-10-15 9:59 PM
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-16 4:43 AM (#146748 - in reply to #146745)

Visionary

willtill - 2013-10-15 8:57 PM

Fork oil change interval is 15,000 miles ??? Again? Like the Vision? WTF? Why the hell is Fork oil change interval is 15,000 miles ? That damned oil in the forks should be good for a minimum of 30,000 miles. At least.

I know of know other bike that requires such frequent front fork oil changes. This short interval is ridiculous.

It's overkill, maybe a revenue generator. Victory doesn't break so maybe the shop survives by "scheduled maint.". I've never changed the fork oil in mine and it has almost 66,000 miles on it. And I won't change it unless/until I blow a seal probably. Waste of time and money and I don't have any time or extra money to waste.
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-16 5:40 AM (#146750 - in reply to #146744)

Cruiser

SongFan - 2013-10-15 10:33 PM

Impressions?

Songfan, I would echo most of your comments, and add mine here...

Initial impressions are very good. Throttle response is prompt, and the TQ starts immediately at low RPM. It idles at 800 RPM and has plenty of torque at 2K. It's hard to lug this engine, I really tried.

The transmission is smooth, the stock pipes sound great. The front brake stops you on a dime and gives nine cents change.

Leg room and ergonomics for a 6 foot 2 rider is pretty darn comfortable. The stock seat is simply as comfortable as you can get, and this is coming from a Vision rider. It fit me like a glove and I had no discomfort whatsoever. It felt like I could have ridden much, much longer. The suspension is excellent and really absorbs the road well.

Like a crazy man, I rode the brand new Indian into a grassy field to photo it under a tree. It is a WAY better off-road machine than a Vision!

For an 800+ pound machine, it doesn't feel like it. It feels lighter than my Vision street.

Fit and finish is excellent. The only plastic pieces I have found are the side covers. Everything else is beautifullly pained or heavily chromed.

I didn't ride it hard since it's in the break-in period, but it handles very well. Tomorrow, I'll try to drag a floorboard but it seems to have a lot of ground clearance.

The Chief is a rolling work of art, and at a gas stop the attendant was wowed by it and pulled out his camera to take a pic.

The only thing I don't like is the stock windshield height.The top of it is right at eye level, and will need to be cut down a couple of inches. Easy fix.

My dealer has about 40 orders, including 4 delivered Indians. That's pretty impressive so far. If you haven't ordered one yet, you should be asking yourself why not?
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-16 5:45 AM (#146751 - in reply to #146750)

Visionary

Double Vision - 2013-10-16 4:40 AM

SongFan - 2013-10-15 10:33 PM

Impressions?

Songfan, I would echo most of your comments, and add mine here...

Initial impressions are very good. Throttle response is prompt, and the TQ starts immediately at low RPM. It idles at 800 RPM and has plenty of torque at 2K. It's hard to lug this engine, I really tried.

The transmission is smooth, the stock pipes sound great. The front brake stops you on a dime and gives nine cents change.

Leg room and ergonomics for a 6 foot 2 rider is pretty darn comfortable. The stock seat is simply as comfortable as you can get, and this is coming from a Vision rider. It fit me like a glove and I had no discomfort whatsoever. It felt like I could have ridden much, much longer. The suspension is excellent and really absorbs the road well.

Like a crazy man, I rode the brand new Indian into a grassy field to photo it under a tree. It is a WAY better off-road machine than a Vision!

For an 800+ pound machine, it doesn't feel like it. It feels lighter than my Vision street.

Fit and finish is excellent. The only plastic pieces I have found are the side covers. Everything else is beautifullly pained or heavily chromed.

I didn't ride it hard since it's in the break-in period, but it handles very well. Tomorrow, I'll try to drag a floorboard but it seems to have a lot of ground clearance.

The Chief is a rolling work of art, and at a gas stop the attendant was wowed by it and pulled out his camera to take a pic.

The only thing I don't like is the stock windshield height.The top of it is right at eye level, and will need to be cut down a couple of inches. Easy fix.

My dealer has about 40 orders, including 4 delivered Indians. That's pretty impressive so far. If you haven't ordered one yet, you should be asking yourself why not?

great to hear. enjoy!
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-16 9:59 AM (#146755 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

Double Vision,

I'm 6'3" and didn't feel cramped at all on the Vintage.  I think the Chieftain must feel smaller with the full fairing and shorter rake/trail.  I could do a full lock u-turn and not move my knees.  On a Harley Ultra, that was impossible.

I didn't ride a pre-production demo so don't know if the seats are changed since then but I really liked the Vintage seat.  First time I have ever sat on a leather seat before.  Niiice.  I can tell already that I'm going to be religious with the leather conditioner.

My buddy says that coming off of the cruise control is different because the throttle rolls back to the closed position once the cruise is set since it is fly-by-wire.  You still roll forward on it to disengage but there is no movement to speak of in the throttle when you roll it forward compared to the Vision that "clicks" off.

My buddy is 5'11" and said the same thing you did about the windshield.  About 2" too tall.

Feels like it pulls every bit as strong as the Vision. Is lighter for sure and no windshield added to the "feel" of pulling the handlebars out of my hands.  I couldn't get over how there was no noise except the exhaust.  The Vision fairing amplifies a lot of noise in that cocoon and having a wide open bike now is really different.  Get back to me when the seather sucks; I'm gonna miss the cocoon.

Edited by SongFan 2013-10-16 10:00 AM
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-16 6:36 PM (#146766 - in reply to #140875)

Cruiser

On a ride today in raw weather, I can tell you that I missed my Vision's heated grips and wind protection. I'm sure there will be heated grip available for the Indian soon.

The saddle on the Indian Vintage is super comfortable. I don't know if it's the leather, or what, but I can ride that thing for hours without an assache.
varyder
Posted 2013-10-16 7:11 PM (#146771 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Yep, -leather is the deal.
adirondacks
Posted 2013-10-17 7:07 AM (#146776 - in reply to #140875)

Tourer

Troy, NY
FYI - Road Runner Motorcycle Touring magazine named the Chieftain Motorcycle of the a Year!

If there are no more Vision's when I'm due for my next bike. I would get the Chieftain.

Edited by adirondacks 2013-10-17 7:08 AM
ingle51
Posted 2013-10-17 3:27 PM (#146788 - in reply to #140875)

Cruiser

NE Florida Jacksonville
I had hoped that my Chief Vintage would be here this week. The dealer gave me the VIN and so I set everything up on my side. I called the next day only to be told the truck broke down and now I have to wait until next week to pick up my bike. Bummer! Christmas Eve is taking too long!!!
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-17 5:23 PM (#146790 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

Double Vision and ingle51, what numbers did you guys end up with?

The Polaris ordering system is driving my guys in Charlotte crazy.  A lady went in and ordered a Classic two weeks ago and got her bike this week.  Another guy had ordered the exact same model/color over a month ago and was still waiting.  They called the lady and told her they were giving her bike to the guy who had been waiting in order to be fair.  Absolutely no rhyme or reason to the system.

Seems like the first 650 limited edition bikes must have gone to Polaris employees or Australia or something.  Lowest # I've seen is the 694 posted by Charlotte.  Anybody get one lower than that?  I'll feel good just to get a numbered bike at this point.

I'm hoping for a call soon.  I have vacation time blocked until Tuesday and if it doesn't come in by then I'm not sure when I'll have the time to make the 1000 mile round trip to go get it. 

Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-17 7:33 PM (#146798 - in reply to #146790)

Cruiser

Number 933 here.
No clue if there is any relationship between deposit date, order date, delivery date and number - it appears random.
I'm just glad to have my Vintage with a number under 1,000.
More info and discussion here... http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/splash.html
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-17 8:29 PM (#146800 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

Thanks for the link.  Found this there (pretty much sums up my mindset....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xcJfxAsNs

Saddlebag buckles latched.....check......

Edited by SongFan 2013-10-17 8:35 PM
pollolittle
Posted 2013-10-17 10:41 PM (#146806 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I'm sure u can find some guys to go with u to make a road trip and get that new beast.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-18 4:43 PM (#146826 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Test rode Chieftain yesterday down in Daytona. Test ride was short maybe 8 miles long no interstate time. Bike was comfortable, seat felt very nice. Tranmission shifted nice and was quite. Motor felt strong down low, felt like it was running out of air above 4200 rpm with throttle wide open. I did not reach rev limiter. Still it pulled good. Stereo was good on FM radio, I didn't have a I Pod with me. Wind protection about like a Street Glide with no lowers. Clutch excellent. Handled very good. Overall very nice bike. Will I buy one ? Not this first year anyway..........
Jump to page : < ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >
Now viewing page 16 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™