You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

2014 Indian Chief
Jump to page : < ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >
Now viewing page 18 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

jimtom
Posted 2013-10-24 4:28 AM (#147063 - in reply to #147061)
Subject: Re: 2014 Indian Chief

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
Good to have something to read on this forum. I can feel you guys excitement and it makes me excited for you. Honestly, Vision riders would be a slug without the Indian posts. All I'd have to read about is someones "cracked" fender and how they could have been killed. Before all the haters chime in, I know that is a function of a forum but it gets old . People getting new bikes is much more fun to read. Ride on and Hail to the Chief!
p.s. I know what you mean about dressing for the vision and anything else! There is no windchill factor to consider on the Vision. I dressed for the Vision and rode my 99 last week and got cold!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2013-10-24 11:25 AM (#147069 - in reply to #140875)
Subject: RE: 2014 Indian Chief

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

perceptually there has been a decline in forum traffic.  I think that is in part mostly because of the older users of this forum have departed due to the repeat information, either through sharing or requesting information.  I know when I first hit the forum, this being my first I've ever participated in, I was on it gaining knowledge. Everything was new about the Vision, and to some of us it was our first Victory.  While the chatter may have died down, I don't believe the enthusiasm for our machine has.  It still feels like the first time every time I ride, and enjoy the cream cheese smoothness of the Vision, in both ride and comfort. 

I'll try and refrain from one of my physiological rants because each of us has a different view of why we ride, and what we will ride.  With the release of the New Indian, I've realized even more how perception has a greater hold on us than the overall ride experience.  The first time I spoke with Mark Moses I found him to be deep in the passion to ride, and even more so, with Indian.  I expressed my desire to get an Indian, but he also sized me up and reminded me that the Vision is the bike for how I ride.  He even sized up and complimented Victory on their success, and this was long before Polaris bought Indian.   I still would like to own an Indian, and I believe in the coming years they will produce the Indian for me.  Bar all the fancy doodads and technology, the creators of the New Indian focused heavily on cues from an era gone.  Put they've made the mark in the perception area, thus making this a good seller.  If Indian could move now in the direction of making the bike designed more around the rider, they would be a strong success and a fierce competitor.  From every nodule of information that I've read, there is so much disparity of the target, to include those who have made forum post impressions, Polaris Indian still has more too learned.

So, this being a Vision forum, and not by the reason only, Victory has a lot to be applauded for, as they have been influenctial, but still remains a unsung hero.  This whole mix of the American motorcycle war still shows that battles are won more on perception then it is on the personal experience of the rider in the saddle.  Indian is dripping with the concept, coming back around from the angle HD has been working for over 50 years.  So my hope is that Polaris Indian will learn more from the experience of Victory in rider comfort and couple that with the cues and quality that Polaris is renowned for.

Okay, my rant is over.  
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-24 11:37 AM (#147070 - in reply to #147069)

Visionary

I agree with everything you said Chris and I have said here over and over , I wouldn't trade my vision for an Indian or anything else. It's just a fun read when people get a new release, new company bike , even if it's not me. And they are excited and happy. It's just infectious.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-24 12:39 PM (#147071 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Hoo weee went to the Indian riders network. It cost either $15 or $30 to join. I'll stay here and listen to "Our" Indian riders and learn from them. I still think the Chieftain would make a nice around town or short trip bike ( for me ). Now once they get FULLY established again, it would be nice for a larger full touring rig and yes maybe even a four cylinder ( make it a V-4 please, Inlines are too hard to package length wise ) I know, I know here I go again wishing....................
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-24 1:47 PM (#147072 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

Steve, you can join for free (I did.).  Just click Create Account without checking either box.

http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=global§ion=register

XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-24 2:17 PM (#147073 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Thanks SongFan, Ain't you supposed to be out riding ?? Hope you're enjoying that new Indian. I forgot, which model did you get ??
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-24 4:44 PM (#147076 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

Red Vintage. 

Knocked out about 50 miles on it today before I came in to work.  Still getting used to the throttle-by-wire.  Just stretching my thumb over to engage the cruise control will make the bike rev a little.  Between the front brake lever and trottle-by-wire, I feel like a ham-fisted goon on this thing. 

Rubbed conditioner on every inch of leather yesterday.  Looks very lush.  Took about 10 minutes.

Planning a Saturday afternoon ride with my buddy who has the blue Vintage and we're hoping on a photo op then.

Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-24 6:36 PM (#147079 - in reply to #147076)

Cruiser

SongFan - 2013-10-24 5:44 PM

Red Vintage.?

Knocked out about 50 miles on it today before I came in to work.? Still getting used to the throttle-by-wire.? Just stretching my thumb over to engage the cruise control will make the bike rev a little.? Between the front brake lever and trottle-by-wire, I feel like a ham-fisted goon on this thing.?

Rubbed conditioner on every inch of leather yesterday.? Looks very lush.? Took about 10 minutes.

Planning a Saturday afternoon ride with my buddy?who has the blue Vintage and?we're hoping on a photo op then.

All the cool guys got a red Vintage.

Mine's in for the 500 mile service now. Ride Songfan, ride!
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-25 1:38 AM (#147092 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

I know it makes no sense to you guys who are disappointed with the retro Indian look, but I must have told the wife 6 or 7 times on the way home from Charlotte "I can't believe I own an Indian."  I have always loved the look of the Chief with the huge fenders, solo seat with the wraparound grab bar and the low slung handlebars.  I didn't like it because of some marketing campaign, it just struck a nerve with me as love at first sight.  The boardtrack racers, Scouts and other models are cool for what they are but they just don't snap my head like a Chief does.

As I told Mark Moses when I was at his dealership on Tuesday, I had never even seen a pre-1953 Indian motorcycle in real life until right then.  He has several in his showroom.  My whole attraction to the bike was through what I read in magazines or saw on the internet or in movies.  I've never been to a motorcycle museum or vintage rally.  Say what you want about American Pickers or What's in the Barn, but I have learned more in a dozen episodes of those shows than all of my other sources about antique bikes combined.

The Vision was cool for me because it was day one of history being made.  There was literally nothing else like it.  The downside of that is there is no history to it.  Nothing but the bike itself.  No art, no signs, no real groups to connect and ride with.  It is a very disconnected ride that most people cannot relate to.  To those of us who "get it" there is nothing better, but we are a rare breed.

The 2014 Indian was a lightning bolt to my brain.  The motor started it all.  Had I not paid attention to the history of the bike, the Thunderstroke 111 would just be another v-twin.  When I saw "the look" I had an instant connection to 60 or 70 years of history.  I love telling my friends "this is why it's not a Harley......"  Indian came up with the valanced fenders for the sole purpose of standing out from the crowd.  When a bunch of guys would show up for races or rally's, there was to be no doubt where the Indians were. 

I bought the red 2014 Indian Chief Vintage for the exact same reason I bought the 2008 Vision:  I don't want there to be any doubt whose bike that is from 100 yards away.  It will never get lost in the herd.  The fact that it is a fantastic bike is just icing on the cake. 

For you guys that wanted something different, I honestly hope that Indian comes out with a bike that lives up to your expectations someday, but for me, I can die a happy man. I can't believe I own one that has that "look".

jimtom
Posted 2013-10-25 4:24 AM (#147095 - in reply to #147092)

Visionary

well said. That's how a bike is supposed to make you feel. That's how you know it's right. In response to your American Pickers reference. I love that show and met Mike Wolfe in Sturgis. He seems to have a very humble spirit and loves motorcycles like we do. I learned a lot through that show too.
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-25 4:27 AM (#147096 - in reply to #147095)

Visionary

here is a "pick"ture

(Mike Wolfe Post 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mike Wolfe Post 2.jpg (77KB - 0 downloads)
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-25 4:53 AM (#147097 - in reply to #147092)

Cruiser

SongFan - 2013-10-25 2:38 AM

I know it makes no sense to you guys who are disappointed with the retro Indian look, but I must have told the wife 6 or 7 times on the way home from Charlotte "I can't believe I own an Indian."? I have always loved the look of the Chief with the huge fenders, solo seat with the wraparound grab bar and the low slung handlebars.??I didn't like it because of some marketing campaign, it just struck a nerve with me as love at first sight.? The boardtrack racers, Scouts and other models are cool for what they are but they just don't snap my head like a Chief does.

As I told Mark Moses when I was at his dealership on Tuesday, I had never even seen a pre-1953 Indian motorcycle in real life until right then.? He has several in his showroom.? My whole attraction to the bike was through what I read in magazines?or saw on the internet or in movies.? I've never been to a motorcycle museum or vintage rally.? Say what you want about American Pickers or What's in the Barn, but I have learned more in a dozen episodes of those shows than all of my other sources about antique bikes combined.

The Vision was cool for me because it was day one of history being made.? There was literally nothing else like it.? The downside of that is there is no history to it.? Nothing but the bike itself.? No art, no signs, no real groups to connect and ride with.? It is a very disconnected ride that most people cannot relate to.? To those of us who "get it" there is nothing better, but we are a rare breed.

The 2014 Indian was a lightning bolt to my brain.? The motor started it all.? Had I not paid attention to the history of the bike, the Thunderstroke 111 would just be another v-twin.? When I saw "the look" I had an instant connection to 60 or 70 years of history.? I love telling my friends "this is why it's not a Harley......"? Indian came up with the valanced fenders for the sole purpose of standing out from the crowd.? When a bunch of guys would show up for races or rally's, there was to be no doubt where the Indians were.?

I bought the red 2014?Indian Chief Vintage for the exact same reason I bought?the 2008?Vision:? I don't want there to be any doubt whose bike that is from 100 yards away.? It will never?get lost in?the herd.? The fact that it is a fantastic bike is just icing on the cake.?

For you guys that wanted something different, I honestly hope that?Indian comes out with a bike that lives up to your expectations someday, but for me, I can die a happy man. I can't believe?I?own one that has that "look".

I don't often quote entire posts, but brother, I hope Indian is paying attention to what you say. Your post here should be in an Indian commercial.

I agree 100% with what you said. Yesterday when I left work to drop off my Indian for the 500 mile service, a guy outside my office building was almost humping my leg like a terrier, completely in awe of the Indian. It is the kind of machine that will strike emotions with people, some who you might not even expect.

Like I said to my wife after leaving the dealership yesterday, "I'm so happy I'm an Indian rider."

jimtom
Posted 2013-10-25 4:56 AM (#147098 - in reply to #147097)

Visionary

I agree 100% with what you said. Yesterday when I left work to drop off my Indian for the 500 mile service, a guy outside my office building was almost humping my leg like a terrier, completely in awe of the Indian.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Double Vision
Posted 2013-10-25 4:57 AM (#147099 - in reply to #147095)

Cruiser

jimtom - 2013-10-25 5:24 AM

... In response to your American Pickers reference. I love that show and met Mike Wolfe in Sturgis. He seems to have a very humble spirit and loves motorcycles like we do. I learned a lot through that show too.

Very cool Jimtom, and great pic. I would love to meet this guy. His passion for motorcycles really comes through.

I wasn't a fan of the show until one of the early episodes where they found a 1967? Bonnevillle that had only been used for photo shoots. I immediately got the Mike & Frank are not just junk collectors but real motorcycle guys, and good guys in general. I've been hooked on AP ever since. Very cool.
jimtom
Posted 2013-10-25 5:00 AM (#147100 - in reply to #147099)

Visionary

yes, he is passionate . He admitted on one of the overseas episodes that he has a motorcycle in his bedroom
rebelce
Posted 2013-10-25 5:42 AM (#147102 - in reply to #140875)

Cruiser

If I didn't have 11K to pay on my Vision 8-Ball, I'd be riding an Indian.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-25 9:54 AM (#147114 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I was looking at the Indian Forums and it's was funny to me that some KM guys were comparing The Polaris buyout of KM to the AMF buyout of Harley. For once I didn't join in the conversation. Just chuckled because lt really dosen't matter. Polaris owns Indian and that's the end of that story......Indian will work this time, and Polaris made that happen. I would guess that in the last few months of this year Indian will deliver 3000 bikes, that may be more than Springfield Indian delivered in 1951, 1952 and 1953 combined.
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-25 11:49 AM (#147118 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

Here's a sample of the Gilroy sense of humor.  This is in response to a Kings Mountain guy comparing his KM to his new Spirit Lake bike as girlfriends with different personalities:

You can't compare a Gilroy to a girlfriend, or even a mistress.

She's more like the incredibly hot, sexy stripper with the amazing body, who chain smokes like a fiend, bops your brains out, slips you a mickey,

and then you wake up handcuffed to the bed with the entire Russian army marching through your mouth, penicillin-resistant gonorrhea, and your wallet and car keys missing.  

And yet, you are STILL saying to yourself..."it might have been worth it..."

I don't care who you are, that's hilarious.

SongFan
Posted 2013-10-25 12:11 PM (#147119 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

My bike next to a '47 Chief.  (The '47 was a trade-in by the way.  Unbelievable.)

ingle51
Posted 2013-10-25 1:04 PM (#147123 - in reply to #140875)

Cruiser

NE Florida Jacksonville
SongFan your post is spot on. Both my Vision and now my Indian are truly standout bikes. My red Chief Vintage is an absolute marvel. Riding back from Daytona everyone who saw the bike gave a thumbs up and honked horns to let me know how much they admired the bike. Gassing the bike up now entails at least there or four people wanting to know about the bike. My dad had an Indian and I never thought I could afford one until now.This motor is amazing, it doesn't care what gear your in just twist the throttle and she scoots. All I can say is wow.

The only down side I spent all day yesterday sick as a dog and couldn't get out to ride.

At least today I rode it around the neighborhood, tomorrow I hope to feel better for a day of riding.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-25 1:56 PM (#147125 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I read that there are aftermarket pipes for the new Indians on the way. I believe Arlen is gonna market them. He's into everything isn't he ??

By the way thanks for the picture SongFan...........
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-25 2:57 PM (#147127 - in reply to #147123)

Visionary

Memphis

ingle51 - The only down side I spent all day yesterday sick as a dog and couldn't get out to ride. At least today I rode it around the neighborhood, tomorrow I hope to feel better for a day of riding.

ingle51 - A month and a half of no sleep has finally caught up with you.  I hope your Indian Fever breaks soon!

I did a slow roll (barely rolling) out of a parking lot yesterday, thinking I was in 2nd gear.  Turns out I was in 3rd and it just pulled away like it was nothing. 

Guys on the Indian forum are starting to do oil changes and getting into the bikes to see what is behind panels and under the seat.  They are blown away at how organized and neat everything is. 

XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-25 4:20 PM (#147133 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Is the oil change as easy as our Visions. My Harley friends always marvel at that...............15 minutes, no dirty hands and no oil spills or leaks....
SongFan
Posted 2013-10-25 4:31 PM (#147134 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Memphis

He's an addendum sheet the Charlotte guys gave me.  Not as hard as it sounds.  Make sure the oil is warm when draining/checking and don't overfill.  Oil kit costs $80.

XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-25 6:55 PM (#147140 - in reply to #140875)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
After a couple of changes won't be nothing to it, you'll learn exactly how much it takes and it'll be a breeze. You know it won't leak any............
Jump to page : < ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >
Now viewing page 18 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™