You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Heat Demons on a Vision?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-27 7:30 PM (#142151)
Subject: Heat Demons on a Vision?

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I want aftermarket bars but refuse to give up my heated grips (couldn't care less about the heated seat). My options seem to be HMDs bar ends (nice quality I'm sure but I don't really care for the looks), Avon heated grips (again, don't really care for the looks although I've had some non-heated Avons before and they're very comfortable...still, pretty expensive) or the Heat Demons internal heaters. (I don't know of any other similar bar/grip heaters.) Since I could use ANY aftermarket (non-heated) grips with the Heat Demons, it sort of seems like that's my best bet. Also, with the Heat Demons, when the grips wear out, I can just replace the (relatively) inexpensive grip instead of the more expensive heated grip. Has anyone installed these on a Vision?

I see 2 issues with them. First, the only controller I've seen replaces part of the clutch lever/mirror mount (for the Harleys). I don't think that would work for the Vision as the break in the mount is horizontal instead of vertical (meaning the control would be UNDER the bars where you couldn't see it). Besides, I have a Kruser Kaddy bracket that would hide the control box (meaning I wouldn't be able to access it.) The 2nd issue (more like a question) is this. Is there any way to make them work with the OEM (2 position) switch? I definitely wouldn't mind 4 or 5 settings, but 2 is sufficient and the switch is already there. It would be nice to NOT add one more thing to the bars. I don't see anything on the Heat Demons site for the heaters with a remote mounted control box.

If you've installed the Heat Demons on a Vision, please tell me how you did it or if it's even possible (without reengineering the bike).

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-07-27 9:42 PM (#142155 - in reply to #142151)
Subject: Re: Heat Demons on a Vision?

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
If you wouldn't mind saving somewhere in the neighborhood of a buttload of money, look at this:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

I've run them on three bikes and they work great. Better than my factory Vision grips, to be honest. I have a set currently on my Z1000 - I'll look at the wiring of the Vision in the manual tomorrow and let you know if they could easily be used with the stock switch. I don't know (in either case) if it's two separate circuits switched between, or high/low current, or what. I'll see if they're the same, whatever that may be.
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-07-28 1:21 AM (#142159 - in reply to #142151)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Here is a thread on the Avons with pics of my controller installation.
http://www.Vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9553
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-28 5:15 AM (#142160 - in reply to #142151)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Brandon --- I'll check those out. Thanks.

Nozzledog --- Interesting placement of the controller but I can't use that location as my Kruzer Kaddy undermount is there. I don't want to use heated "grips" as much as grip warmers (so I can use any aftermarket grips).
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-07-28 3:14 PM (#142168 - in reply to #142160)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Monkeyman - 2013-07-28 6:15 AM

Brandon --- I'll check those out. Thanks.

Nozzledog --- Interesting placement of the controller but I can't use that location as my Kruzer Kaddy undermount is there. I don't want to use heated "grips" as much as grip warmers (so I can use any aftermarket grips).

I'll let you know Tuesday night if they'll work with your factory switch (or what you could easily do to make it happen.) My dad comes to hang out on Tuesdays and he's much better equipped to figure that out. I know that the aftermarket grips use a simple switch that has positions of basically 1, 2, or 3 - one position is off, one is low, and one is high - nothing is combined at the switch. I don't know how our factory switch and grips work, though. I think I can give you a bankable answer after he looks at it.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-28 3:47 PM (#142171 - in reply to #142151)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I'd appreciate it.
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-07-29 1:11 AM (#142183 - in reply to #142151)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The OEM heated grips use two separate heating elements per grip. Choosing 'High' powers one element and 'Low' powers the other. The Heat Demons use one heating element per side and adjusts the voltage thru them to regulate temperature. Interestingly, the controller unit is AFTER the heating element, so it is controlling the ground side instead of the power.
Avon does not make heated grips, but they do sell many of their grips with Heat Demon grip heaters pre-installed.
The mounting method I used can be used on the left or right handlebar and inward or outward side of handlebar controls.

Edited by Nozzledog 2013-07-29 1:14 AM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-29 4:44 AM (#142187 - in reply to #142151)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I learned something new today. The only Heat Demon set up I've seen was the installation video on their site and it looked like the clutch perch was the only place you could mount the controller. Are the Avon/Heat Demon grips wired differently? Did you allow for the curvature of the controller with your bracket? Or did you grind down the mounting points (of the controller) to sit flat? If I could put the controller on the throttle side, I'd think about it.
Turk
Posted 2013-07-29 7:29 AM (#142189 - in reply to #142187)

Iron Butt

Monkeyman - 2013-07-29 4:44 AM

I learned something new today. The only Heat Demon set up I've seen was the installation video on their site and it looked like the clutch perch was the only place you could mount the controller. Are the Avon/Heat Demon grips wired differently? Did you allow for the curvature of the controller with your bracket? Or did you grind down the mounting points (of the controller) to sit flat? If I could put the controller on the throttle side, I'd think about it.

I have had the Avons installed for over a year, but I threw their controller out, as I didn't like the mount position, nor the fact that it would reset to "off" every time you turned the bike off. Then you have to cycle through the button repeatedly to get to heat setting you want. Also, unless you have their newer "reprogrammed" controller, the max heat setting is actually only 54% !!!

Instead, I wired my Avons (Heat Demons) up to the factory OEM switch. High is just that, full power, while the Low side of the switch is routed through a pulse width modulator (PWM, rotary switch similar to what controls ceiling fan speeds). PWM's do not throw off heat as would a resistor, and my "Low" setting is totally variable based on the PWM. In effect, I really never even throw the OEM switch to the High side, I just rotate the PWM.

I have a write up and pics somewhere here on this site.

Those dual star grip heaters with their two separate heating elements is exactly how the OEM grips are setup on all Victory's! That is why it's a two setting switch, and there is no controller used. However, being a bar mounted element, the heat would have to jump an "air gap" to get to the grips... not sure how well that would work.

Edited by Turk 2013-07-29 7:33 AM
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-07-29 2:23 PM (#142206 - in reply to #142187)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I tried to sketch out how the controller connects to the panel. I bent the T bracket in an S until everything was flush. The T bracket is very strong and even with the bends, there is no flex. Again, this can be mounted on the left or right, inside or outside of the handlebar switches.

(DSC_0174-1-1.jpg)

(DSC_0174-1-1.jpg)

(DSC_0174-1-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0174-1-1.jpg (45KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0174-1-1.jpg (45KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0174-1-1.jpg (45KB - 0 downloads)
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-29 6:30 PM (#142220 - in reply to #142151)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Turk --- I know nothing about electronics so it would have to be a fairly easy wiring job for me to attempt it.

Noz --- Thanks for the drawing. (I do stick figures pretty well.) I'd have to figure out how to do something different with the back bracket (curved piece). Maybe just bolting it to the home made bracket would work.
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-07-31 10:16 AM (#142308 - in reply to #142171)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Monkeyman - 2013-07-28 4:47 PM

I'd appreciate it.

I verified that the heaters I linked above will work directly with your factory switch - $40 shipped and you'll have high and low just like you do now with any bars/grips you want.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-07-31 9:01 PM (#142332 - in reply to #142151)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
How are they compared to the stock heat?
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-08-01 10:27 AM (#142344 - in reply to #142332)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Monkeyman - 2013-07-31 10:01 PM

How are they compared to the stock heat?

That I can't tell you, because it's very dependent on the bars and grips involved. On my 636 they were much better than the Vision's grips. It had small aluminum clip-ons, hands were hidden by the fairing (like the Vision,) thin grips - they were awesome. On my Z1000, not as good (but still very good.) Full aluminum bar, hands out in the breeze, etc. So many variables, hard to estimate unfortunately. They've been awesome on all of my bikes, though. For what it's worth, Dual Star developed them originally for snowmobiles. Adventure touring riders (the bikes that look like huge dual-sports with luggage on them, like the big BMW GS and such) started buying them so they made a motorcycle specific kit (which is the same kit, they just put the word motorcycle on the web page.) $35 isn't that big of a gamble, really. I know that's what I'll do when I find some grips I want, but I don't know if that will be soon enough to help you make a decision. I doubt it will.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-01 7:23 PM (#142365 - in reply to #142151)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I appreciate the feedback. They look thick. Only matters as the grips have to slip over them and the throttle tube can't bind. One of the good things about the Heat Demons is that they go inside the bars. Still, I might have to check these out. For less than $40, if they don't work, I'm not out much.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™