You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

New Belt/ needs drive replaced?!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Hippo
Posted 2013-08-08 9:10 AM (#142698)
Subject: New Belt/ needs drive replaced?!

Cruiser

Warren, Vermont
I  took my 10th Anniversary Vision to a local dealer to have the belt replaced (it had picked up a rock and had a little hole in it). So, the guy hadn't done a belt replacement on a Vision with reverse so he called into Polaris. The guy he talked to asked about the mileage on the bike (it is about 50,000) and he said - Oh no, you cannot just slap a new belt on that bike with that mileage, you have to replace the whole drive system! We are finding that they are wearing out --- The guy was insistent and asked the dealer to document this. 

Well, I had him put the old belt back on since I am leaving for a trip to the Gaspe Peninsula and Nova Scotia on Sunday. 

Is this bullshit? Seems pretty odd that I'll end up spending nearly a grand for parts when I just need a belt. 

Hippo
Top of the page Bottom of the page
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-08-08 10:35 AM (#142702 - in reply to #142698)
Subject: Re: New Belt/ needs drive replaced?!

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
I do not have experience with belts as the Vision is my first bike with one. I have a lot of experience with chains and sprockets though. Chains stretch causing the pitch between chain pins to increase. The sprocket teeth are forged to match this ever increasing pitch throughout the life of the chain. I have replaced only the chain and had poor results many times in my younger days. The mismatched pitch of chain vs sprocket teeth caused the chain to skip around the front sprocket. I replaced the front sprocket which only made the rear teeth wear faster. On a separate occasion I had teeth break off the front sprocket. I have seen this same result on other rider's bikes who only change the chain. I race mountain bikes and I have experienced this same issue with them as well.

Does this same thing happen with belt drives? Apparently Polaris thinks so. Anyone have first hand experience with only changing the belt?
Boots
Posted 2013-08-08 1:32 PM (#142706 - in reply to #142698)

Tourer

New Mexico
Like victoryvisiontour, I don't have a lot of experience with belts. That being said, I've never heard of such a thing! And just looked through the Vision maintenance manual - again, nothing I could find.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-08-08 6:23 PM (#142718 - in reply to #142698)

Visionary

belts can last for ever 90 thousand and over. You get down on the ground and look at them. Your owners book will show you what to look for.
The pulley can wear out and that will cause the belt to break.
I had a hole in the middle of my belt and put 30 thousand on it before i changed it. Hole or tear on side of belt will leave you on the side of the road.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™