You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Kill Switch Maintenance
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

JSP
Posted 2013-08-08 7:30 PM (#142728)
Subject: Vision Kill Switch Maintenance

Cruiser

on the edge of Los Angeles

For you DIY’rs out there here is another high mileage fix I have come across. (Kill Switch)

This can apply to all Vics using the same kill switch assembly as my 08 Vision.

A little background here… In prep for the VMC meet up in Lewiston this past week I did quite a bit of upgrades / repairs.

98000 miles

New Shock (Leaking)

New Fuel Pump (Screaming)

New Starter (Grinding and brushes almost gone)

Now she’s almost new again!  Right?

Off on the trip and at times having an issue with getting the bike to crank, just as if the key were off.

Normal operation is turn on ignition key, dash, gauges etc. light up.  Flip red kill switch and you hear the fuel pump prime push start to crank and fire.

My situation was at times- turn on ignition key, dash, gauges etc. light up.  Flip red kill switch and no fuel prime let alone dead start button.

I found that If  I were to fiddle with the kill switch it would ultimately work. Pushing harder on switch was not the cure but working it around would. The contacts are actually to the side of the switch.

What I did when I got home. I checked the price of Switch and it’s combined with the whole housing $$$.

Then I get out the screwdriver and got into the housing.

This procedure is not for the faint of heart getting the switch out of and back into housing is no easy task. I am sure there is a trick but I puckered up removing and replacing it.

Once removed I carefully took it apart and used a pencil eraser on the contacts to clean them up. This was the easy 30 second part of the procedure.

If you ever worked on older electronic keyboard contacts this is very similar.

Much better now!

Sorry no Pics I was more interested in fixing it asap.

Hope this helps someone out there that may have a similar issue.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
atvtinker
Posted 2013-08-08 10:56 PM (#142738 - in reply to #142728)
Subject: Re: Vision Kill Switch Maintenance

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
One other thing you needed to do with this procedure and that was to use electrical contact grease to the contact points. This keeps the copper points from corroding again. I had the same problem happen to me a couple of years ago but it happened while I was riding on one of my trips. Bike would just die like you would've cut the ignition switch while running. I would drift off to the shoulder and fool with the switch a little and it would fire right back up. Did it about 3 times before I got the chance to take the switch apart and fix it.
donetracey
Posted 2013-08-09 1:58 AM (#142739 - in reply to #142728)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
35+ years of wishing I could shove kill switches up the ass of the fool who came up with the idea ...

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I TRIED TO START MY BIKE ??? UNTIL I FOUND SOME fool LIKELY ME HAD TURNED OFF?ON? THAT FRICKIN' THING?

IDIOT SWITCH .... gRRRRRR
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-08-09 1:44 PM (#142756 - in reply to #142728)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Great info! After reading this, I think I will clean and grease min just for preventative maint.
Boots
Posted 2013-08-10 9:43 AM (#142787 - in reply to #142728)

Tourer

New Mexico
Thanks JSP. Another one to file away for when needed. I use the kill switch every time, so if it is going to go hopefully it will be within the next 22 months. Cuz then the warranty will be over and she will be ALL MINE!

I have never had an 'Extended Warranty', but bought a 2009 model in 2010 so came with the 5 year warranty, and I'm sure happy to have it. Have had two front brake light switches, and my front fork seals replaced so far. Now having a few issues with my heated grips turning on when the switch is off (I have to cycle switch several times to turn off), so maybe another free fix.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™