You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Phone going nuts when using the 3.5mm AUX input?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Allen_B
Posted 2013-08-12 6:28 PM (#142892)
Subject: Phone going nuts when using the 3.5mm AUX input?

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
Trying to find out if this has been observed by others and looking for potential fixes.

When riding my 2013 Vision, I use my phone (a new, 2013 version HTC One) for music playback specifically Pandora, Tunein radio or iHeart radio.

Without rhyme or reason, the music output will stop, the phone goes berzerk, tries to repeatedly skip songs and launches the Google Now app.

I understand why the mode is shifting on the phone- it thinks it is connected to a headset with a button which is obviously not the case. The actual reason for the erratic behavior is because the phone is thinks it has a button equipped headset and is getting repeated button presses. The only way to reset the problem is to disconnect the phone and reconnect it. Unplug the 3.5mm plug and plug it back in, the phone will recognize it correctly as headphones vice a headset (for the time being).

Last weekend when the phone began one of it's "seizures" I was able to stop and research a bit further. Wiggling of the cable (i.e. a short of some kind) had no impact on the symptoms. I even went so far as to remove the cable from the radio's wiring harness (unplugged it) and no change- the phone still indicated it had a headset connected. I suppose it is possible there is a short in the plug itself but have not been able to identify anything- just because it doesn't reset when I twist the cable means very little. It is just frustrating because I can't recreate the issue on demand. Zero chance from what I can tell that this is the phone since it performs flawlessly in three other vehicles, with regular headphones and with an actual mic/button headset.

The dealership is ordering a new cable- not complaining but wondering if this is common or previously identified??

/r

Allen

Top of the page Bottom of the page
roundtwig
Posted 2013-08-12 7:29 PM (#142894 - in reply to #142892)
Subject: Re: Phone going nuts when using the 3.5mm AUX input?

Cruiser

flagstaff, AZ
Mine has done the same thing. I have a Galaxy Note2 and 09 Vision. Randomly the phone goes into "seizures", but my generic mp3 player has never had a problem. Both the phone and mp3 player also work just fine in everything else. I think there is some sort of electronic feedback that phones are sensitive to.
Allen_B
Posted 2013-08-12 8:08 PM (#142904 - in reply to #142894)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
roundtwig - 2013-08-12 8:29 PM

Mine has done the same thing. I have a Galaxy Note2 and 09 Vision. Randomly the phone goes into "seizures", but my generic mp3 player has never had a problem. Both the phone and mp3 player also work just fine in everything else. I think there is some sort of electronic feedback that phones are sensitive to.

I would offer that your MP3 player is "immune" because it doesn't recognize or use a headset. You could likely plug a button/mic headset into it and press the buttons all day- it could care less.

"Smart" devices on the other hand use the additional functions like pausing (short press) and launching apps (long press). The issue is something on the bike is sending a "button press" signal; randomly and VERY fast as well confusing the hell out of the device.

With older devices (actually, older operating systems) you could disable the button functions but it is more integrated now. My issue is that even if you could software disable the button functions, you shouldn't have to in the first place- there is a problem with the cable or the radio somewhere.

/r

Allen
Denali
Posted 2013-08-13 8:57 AM (#142915 - in reply to #142892)

New user

Cedar Rapids,IA
I feel your pain! I experience the same problem on my IPOD. Very frustrating! I have not used my phone through the aux jack yet but from the sounds of it I will see the same thing. Bummer. Love to know if there is a fix. I am glad to see a thread on this and I'm not crazy! HAHA!!
Allen_B
Posted 2013-08-13 7:38 PM (#142937 - in reply to #142892)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
A lot of folks reporting their phones schizing out when using the 3.5mm jack but nobody found a root cause or a solution??

I have posted the same question on an Android forum with more tech questions. Does anyone here have a schematic for a 4-wire headset? My question is how does the button operate?

Anyway, still chasing this ghost hoping someone else has been down this road already!

/r

Allen
diamonbird
Posted 2013-08-14 6:10 AM (#142952 - in reply to #142892)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
If you jiggle the plug(3.5) at the phone it will think you're unplugging or plugging it in and will change it's state or mode, it's the way they're made to do!
Allen_B
Posted 2013-08-14 7:11 AM (#142955 - in reply to #142952)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
diamonbird - 2013-08-14 7:10 AM

If you jiggle the plug(3.5) at the phone it will think you're unplugging or plugging it in and will change it's state or mode, it's the way they're made to do!

Nope, "jiggling" it does nothing. It has to be completly unlpugges and plugged back in. I have tried twisting the cable as well at various points to try to identify a fault in the calbe with no success. As mentioned, even unplugging the cable from the bike has no effect.

/r

Allen
diamonbird
Posted 2013-08-14 8:41 AM (#142956 - in reply to #142892)

Cruiser

Ok, sorry, that's the way mine works or has done since I've been using it.
Let us know if replacing the cable fixes the problem.
diamonbird
Posted 2013-08-14 8:44 AM (#142957 - in reply to #142892)

Cruiser

Now that I think of it mine has been making a weird sound from time to time while listening to Pandora, maybe it is the cable!
Juvok
Posted 2013-08-14 11:43 AM (#142963 - in reply to #142892)

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Last week, my music stopped and the phone dialed my home number 200 times in 20 minutes! My wife thought I had lost my mind!
Allen_B
Posted 2013-08-14 12:14 PM (#142965 - in reply to #142892)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
Juvok,

Exactly the same indications- the button in a headset can be programmed to do a number of different things like redial the last number. If the aux connector is sending a button press signal (for some damn reason) then the phone is simply reacting per it's programming.

Wondering what year you bike is. Trying to find any commonalities, especiallly since this is starting to sound familiar to others...

/r

Allen
Juvok
Posted 2013-08-15 2:09 PM (#143012 - in reply to #142892)

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas
Allen,
It's a 2013. Just got it a couple months ago. I've already put 3000 miles on it.
Allen_B
Posted 2013-08-15 3:56 PM (#143013 - in reply to #142892)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
^^Same here. The dealership has already ordered a new cable and will see how it goes.

I would have more confidence that this will fix the issue if I could find a schematic somewhere (or even a technical description) of how a headset button is supposed to work. Guess I need to break out my Fluke and start taking continuity readings on a known-good button headset.

/r

Allen
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™