You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tested out a new Ultra glide...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

metalguy
Posted 2007-10-23 1:22 PM (#1019)
Subject: Tested out a new Ultra glide...

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
While I await my Vision, I tested out a Harley Ultra Sunday with my Sweetie on the pillion. It certainly didn't sway my decision. I found that I just really don't fit well on it, and the answers I got were all of the.."well you can buy a custom this or that to fix that" answer. Added in their bashing of the Victory line, and it really didn't help, either. I don't want to get anyone's shorts in a bunch about Harley bashing, I think their bikes are good, and very pretty, just that that model didn't fit me. Ok? In fact, I LOVE their copper anneversary edition bikes. WAY cool. There were features I liked, like the wide levers for clutch, and brake, the heel-toe shifter, and some of the amenities were nice, too. But when I mentioned before my ride that I was looking at a Vision, and had tested it, and a new Goldbling, they had nothing bad to say about the 'wing, just the Victory. I wonder if they felt threatened?? I know they make big bucks, so I doubt that is the case...it just bothered me, is all. Anyone else have this happen?-----Metalguy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SongFan
Posted 2007-10-23 2:12 PM (#1023 - in reply to #1019)
Subject: RE: Tested out a new Ultra glide...

Visionary

Memphis

I don't think Harley guys are threatened by Victory but there is a ton of grumbling among the ranks regarding the '07 and '08 models. The air cooled, pushrod, 2 valve per cylinder motors are being brought to their knees by the new E.P.A laws. Many of the stock bikes are nearly unrideable due to heat and surging issues. Models with the oil tank under the seat are especially punishing. Loyal buyers feel abandoned by H-D and basically betrayed by not being informed of known issues. Fixes are available, at a price. (It may void your warranty, but hey, you wanted a bike you could ride.)

There also seems to be a down-turn in overall quality control that has a lot of them upset. I could point you to a forum of owners who had a wiring short that caused fires on their bikes within the first 200 miles of ownership. (One at 50 miles, and one was a CVO Ultra.) The basic feel that I am getting from owners of new model Harleys is that they feel extremely lucky if they get one without major issues.

Harley is shutting down production for a week at the end of November due to lack of projected sales. The stock is tanking and resale price of used bikes is really falling off.

For you guys on the bubble about which American v-twin to buy; There are a lot of super low mile Ultra's for sale on e-Bay and Cycletrader. It's your money.

I think I'll stick to whining about delivery dates and chrome forks.

BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-10-23 2:17 PM (#1024 - in reply to #1019)
Subject: Re: Tested out a new Ultra glide...

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
sad, but true
pollolittle
Posted 2007-10-23 2:17 PM (#1025 - in reply to #1019)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Oh yeah, The big Harley place in Memphis, Bumpus Harley about went off the deep end for any other type of bike. I really wonder if that is the way they train the salesguy/gals. They think the Harley is what it is all about. Then you wait around long enough for the store to close and it is amazing how many folks get into their CARS. Very few actually got on a bike. What does that tell you. Metalguy, the wife and I went down to look at the Vision. She did not like the look of it on paper or on the web. I told her if she didn't like it in person then we would go over to the Harley place and buy either the ultra classic or the streetglide in the anniversary colors. Luckily, she thought it wound up being better looking in person. She decided she could live with it, but it hasn't stopped her from calling it a: George Jetson space car, batman bike, Power Ranger moped, or like the new movie, the Transformer bike. That's okay, everytime I get ready to go somewhere she is ready to hop on. Go figure.
metalguy
Posted 2007-10-23 4:12 PM (#1034 - in reply to #1019)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
My Sweetie calls it a George Jetson bike too! But she likes it anyway. I will confess, she liked the pillion of the Goldwing better, but I really had issues with the foot placement. She liked ALL of the rides better in comfort than my '89 VT1100c, tho!
HAVNFN
Posted 2007-10-23 6:28 PM (#1039 - in reply to #1019)

Puddle Jumper

Connecticut
I have a Screamin Eagle Electra Glide. Have used three different seats due to the wifes' discomfort. Can't keep her off of the back of the Vision, haven't ridden the HD since, and I can see it leaving the garage in the future!
cjnoho
Posted 2007-10-23 9:06 PM (#1043 - in reply to #1019)

Visionary

So Cal
I have a 2002 E-glide. Have everything set up the way I like it. Got 70k on it and still runs great. Cant see replacing it with another E-glide and having to start all over. Especially at those prices. It has the 95 kit with S&S gear drive cam, V&H 2 into 1, and I have a feeling the Vision will have more power right out of the box.
metalguy
Posted 2007-10-24 11:11 AM (#1062 - in reply to #1019)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I can tell you, it does have more power right out of the box. Keep your ultra, tho, as it fits you now! That way you have BOTH!!! I know I am keeping my chopped (14 degrees over stock) shadow with 10" extended forks, and wide glide front end...it is a fun bike!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™