You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

ATS benefits for Vision?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

ksievers
Posted 2013-09-06 7:48 AM (#144151)
Subject: ATS benefits for Vision?

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
I have a 2009 Vision Tour. New to me. I've only had it about two weeks and it runs fine.

However, I have already ordered the Lloydz ATS timing wheel. As I read further, I realize that there are different cams for different models of Victory motorcycles, right?

My question, before I open the package when it arrives, is, will I get the intended benefits of the ATS wheel on a Vision motor??

thanks - new guy, KS.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jb.hatch
Posted 2013-09-06 8:26 AM (#144152 - in reply to #144151)
Subject: Re: ATS benefits for Vision?

Cruiser

Phenix City AL.
Yes you will get the intended benefits, As I know it the motors are the same in all bikes ( of the same year and displacement) might as well order the cams too LOL.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2013-09-06 9:37 AM (#144153 - in reply to #144151)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Yes, It is intended for all Victory motors from 99-up. I installed it in my 2010 Vision and noticed quicker throttle response throughout the rpm range. Seat-of-the-pants analysis says the bike is faster off the line as well as roll-on acceleration. Some have claimed better MPG but I haven't yet gone through a full tank yet since installing it. Installation took 10min.
ksievers
Posted 2013-09-06 10:36 AM (#144154 - in reply to #144151)
Subject: RE: ATS benefits for Vision?

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
thanks guys. looking forward to it
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-09-06 7:11 PM (#144163 - in reply to #144151)

Visionary

simple to do take about twenty minuets if you have all your tools on the floor.
Put towel over pipes and un bolt floor boards. I use a SAE allen socket.
Pull dip stick and put rag in hole.
Take timing cover bolts out and very easy pull on cover. Maybe old gasket will not break.
Un do center bolt 13mm socket.
Put on new wheel and add blue loctite to bolt.
Toque to 17ft pounds.
Wipe gasket surfaces clean and put cover back on.
Tighten cover bolts is a X pattern.
You might loose three drops of oil.
Your done clean up and ride. It will take maybe twenty miles and no more popping.

(002.JPG)

(009.JPG)

(007.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 002.JPG (60KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 009.JPG (55KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 007.JPG (55KB - 1 downloads)
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-09-06 7:19 PM (#144164 - in reply to #144151)

Visionary

sorry i for got when righting wheel you will have to stick screw driver between teeth and catch motor bolt in back.
You will get to 70 very quick and the motor becomes very smooth. You should even pick up some gas mileage
diamonbird
Posted 2013-09-07 8:38 AM (#144172 - in reply to #144151)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
Yes for 2008-up not 99 and up.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-09-07 6:07 PM (#144182 - in reply to #144151)
Subject: RE: ATS benefits for Vision?

Visionary

ksievers - 2013-09-06 7:48 AM I have a 2009 Vision Tour. New to me. I've only had it about two weeks and it runs fine. However, I have already ordered the Lloydz ATS timing wheel. As I read further, I realize that there are different cams for different models of Victory motorcycles, right? My question, before I open the package when it arrives, is, will I get the intended benefits of the ATS wheel on a Vision motor?? thanks - new guy, KS.

Yes there diffrent cams. Visions and X models have a touring cam for the weight they have. The frame bikes are lighter so they have a quicker cam.

Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-08 6:39 PM (#144218 - in reply to #144151)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Read the instruction sheet that came with the wheel. It gives you hints on how to set things depending on what other performance mods you have. Some things, like a PC5, affect timing and you will need to compensate for that on the PC5.
I put mine on today in about 45 minutes. For me the hardest part was getting that darned right side floorboard off and back on. It has to come off to get at the timing cover machine screws. I took it out afterward and rode about 30 miles. According to the mileage indicator, it gave me around 4 MPG average. I'll see what it really did when I get my next tank of gas. It also pulls a bit better at low RPM.
ksievers
Posted 2013-09-09 8:40 AM (#144240 - in reply to #144151)

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
thanks.. is getting the floor board off pretty obvious? any tips??
ksievers
Posted 2013-09-09 6:48 PM (#144267 - in reply to #144151)

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
installed it this afternoon. took probably 20 minutes; had to scrape some old gasket off or the job would have gone quicker... rode into work after, not a long ride or a great test, so can't claim too much extreme results, but it seems like it's just humming along, and I felt that when I was merging on the interstate, not really anticipating anything (too busy watching traffic) the bike was "sportier" pulling into where I needed to be (maybe in the 2500+ rpm range). and as others have reported (realizing the MPG computer is not the same as actually doing the math at fill-up) the mileage computer was going between 48 and 49 where it had been at 42. interesting....
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-09 8:01 PM (#144272 - in reply to #144240)

Tourer

Central Illinois

ksievers - 2013-09-09 8:40 AM thanks.. is getting the floor board off pretty obvious? any tips??

The floorboards are obvious. There are two 8mm machine screws holding them on. My trouble was getting them to move with the thread locking material on them. No technical issues at all. I used blue lok-tite when I remounted them.

ksievers
Posted 2013-09-10 9:28 AM (#144303 - in reply to #144151)

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
all done. see above. my floorboard bolts took a bit of strength too but all OK. I put blue loctite on them as well. the rest of it was duck soup. the old wheel came out with fingers only, no prying. new wheel only goes on one way, gasket and wire took a bit of finesse to hold in place, tightened like lug nuts, opposite bolts, etc., no torque wrench used, just by touch.. no leaks, really runs great. Took a longer ride after my night class last night. It just "feels" good. Better engine-wise in all ways. It went from fine to really fine. Seems to have more zip for merging, wants to rev higher before shifting, etc..

It reminds me of my 76 KZ900 that I re-jetted from the starved EPA version back to prior years before the EPA killed the performance. Put in the old gauge jets, zooom!!

so, so far, am very pleased with a simple and inexpensive tweak. we'll see how the mpg's work out.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-10 1:48 PM (#144318 - in reply to #144151)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
What did you use for a setting?
Juvok
Posted 2013-09-10 4:11 PM (#144327 - in reply to #144318)

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas
Street Eagle - 2013-09-10 11:48 AM

What did you use for a setting?

That's what I want to know also. After all, it's an "Adjustable" Timing Wheel.

Thanks!
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-10 4:53 PM (#144331 - in reply to #144151)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I just received mine from Lloyzd. By default it is set to +4
ksievers
Posted 2013-09-10 6:43 PM (#144339 - in reply to #144151)

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
I left mine "as is." (+4)

I am not greedy. the benefit is real "as is." enough for me. no sense pushing the envelope. I figure Lloyd knows better than I so there you go.

Edited by ksievers 2013-09-10 6:43 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-09-10 6:47 PM (#144340 - in reply to #144151)

Visionary

start with +4 its so simple to go back in and change if you want.
By the way do not add loctite to floor board bolts.
ksievers
Posted 2013-09-11 9:18 AM (#144359 - in reply to #144151)

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
already added Loctite to floor board bolts. why not?
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-11 4:40 PM (#144374 - in reply to #144151)

Tourer

Central Illinois
I read the included instructions that said a minimally modified bike like mine should be +2 to +4 degrees. As a bit conservative rider I chose to go with +3 degrees, not the default that Lloydz would give. It seems to work just fine so far but I cannot comment on people pushing the envelope. I simply will never go there. In most ways I am very conservative and changing things and just hoping for the best strikes me as irresponsible, but that is just me.

Edited by Oldman47 2013-09-11 4:41 PM
jazzbiker
Posted 2013-09-11 5:12 PM (#144376 - in reply to #144151)

Puddle Jumper

I saw a post by a CC owner that he noticed less engine heat with the ATW. How about it on the Vision?
ksievers
Posted 2013-09-11 6:49 PM (#144381 - in reply to #144151)

Puddle Jumper

Norman, OK
haven't noticed a change in the heat, but I haven't had a chance to log a lot of miles since I did the ATS. Mine has those adjustable louvers too.. they really do help direct the heat away, and I ALWAYS wear boots, so the heat issues for me are no big deal. It's hotter than Hades where I live (OK) anyway.. most of the time I wear overpants too. When I don't I wear the Draggin' Jeans. The jeans do not do as good a job at deflecting the heat, but the overpants do. So worst case scenario the heat from the engine doesn't bother me anyway. My other ride is a Honda ST1300 (for sale by the way :-)) and on that forum people bit-- about the heat from that. I guess all engines make heat.. so boots help.

Not sure it's logical that advancing the timing would alter any of that but I'll find out over time.

Edited by ksievers 2013-09-11 6:50 PM
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-11 7:44 PM (#144383 - in reply to #144151)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Advancing timing will always make an engine run cooler. In the old days, yea I really am an old man, we all knew that retarding timing caused a serious increase in engine heat. Back then only a fool would advance timing from standard settings, but we did not operate under EPA mandates back then either. These days the EPA has dictated timings that are, at best, barely tolerable for your engine. There is no doubt at all that a small 4 degree advance, or 3 degrees as I did, will cause cooler running. The only questions are about things like ping, pre-ignition knock and similar things. It goes almost without saying that the engine will run cooler. That aspect is not subject to conjecture, it is a fact.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-11 10:03 PM (#144394 - in reply to #144151)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Installed the wheel and took it for its first run...UNBELIEVABLE! I would have never of imagined the gain in power in low RPM range. Throttle response went form having to really twist the throttle, even with a 1/4 turn installed, to pretty much instant on. With the Lloydz upgrades and Witchdoctor's Voodoo exhaust, the thing is a ground pounding BEAST
Turk
Posted 2013-09-12 7:22 AM (#144400 - in reply to #144383)

Iron Butt

Oldman47 - 2013-09-11 7:44 PM

Advancing timing will always make an engine run cooler. In the old days, yea I really am an old man, we all knew that retarding timing caused a serious increase in engine heat. Back then only a fool would advance timing from standard settings, but we did not operate under EPA mandates back then either. These days the EPA has dictated timings that are, at best, barely tolerable for your engine. There is no doubt at all that a small 4 degree advance, or 3 degrees as I did, will cause cooler running. The only questions are about things like ping, pre-ignition knock and similar things. It goes almost without saying that the engine will run cooler. That aspect is not subject to conjecture, it is a fact.

Advancing timing causes a rise in combustion pressure, subsequently, a RISE in TEMPERATURE, it doesn't lower it. This is the condition that ping or knock thrives in, excess heat.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™