You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

? about the fuel management
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

pollolittle
Posted 2007-10-23 3:09 PM (#1030)
Subject: ? about the fuel management

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I was wondering instead of doing a full on stage 1 kit, I was thinking about just punching a few holes in the muffler to increase the rumble. If I did this, wouldn't the EFI system accommodate for the more exhaust release. Isn't the purpose of the O2 bungs to let the EFI system know whether or not there is more oxygen or not at that point and adjust accordingly. So, why the need to remap is beyond me. It supposedly will relearn what it needs to. The thing I don't like about the Stage 1 is I don't know what it will sound like and I don't really have the splurge budget for that upgrade, especially if I don't like it. And on this bike, I don't see where you could add more holes or give it more air, due to the setup of the air intake. All the research I have done, say there is no real gain over the paper filter, other than less filtration by the K&N filter.
I can see where you can remap without even changing the filter or muffler and it would be more responsive. Changing the controller and its map, made a world of difference for my 650vtwin four wheeler. It however, has no 02 bungs, carburetor. So maybe just getting the Lyle VFC might be the ticket and see what happens.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-10-23 3:48 PM (#1032 - in reply to #1030)
Subject: Re: ? about the fuel management

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
I've seen this done on a V-rod. The guy just punch a bunch of holes in the end of the pipe. It looked very nice, and sounded like an entirely different set of pipes. Very nice rumble. He did have to remap. I have seen on some of the pictures, that Victory sells an end cap that look just like someone had punched holes in the pipes. I think you could save a bunch on the "hole" punching, then drop the rest into the remapping. Personally, I would have a set of "slip on's" on order before I punched the ends out, just in case.
Someone posted a "stage one" video clip on the site, and the pipes did sound thunderous.
lowtone9
Posted 2007-10-23 5:44 PM (#1036 - in reply to #1030)
Subject: RE: ? about the fuel management

Cruiser

I think you`re right. The closed loop EFI will compensate for a more open exhaust and maintain the same mixture. Stage 1 recalibration will most likely result in a richer mixture, and may change timing advance also. Just guessing.

BTW, there is a short sound clip of the stage one pipes around here somewhere.

Edited by lowtone9 2007-10-23 5:45 PM
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2007-10-23 5:59 PM (#1038 - in reply to #1030)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
The stage1 audio clip is here:
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=136&post...

A K&N filter will effectively allow more air into the system and lean out the mixture if no remap is made. Lloyd will soon be providing an article on closed-loop injection systems (ala Vision) and will set the record straight.

Jeff
cjnoho
Posted 2007-10-23 9:37 PM (#1047 - in reply to #1030)

Visionary

So Cal
I think your right. The remap probably has a more agerssive timing curve and richer mixture to help enhance the timing curve. I would be some what hesitant to poke holes in the stock mufflers specially in CA. I know the stock mufflers on my Harley have cat.s in the front part and I keep them in the garage just in case CARB (EPA for the 49 state crowd) decides to get picky. The closed loop system should compensate for minor mods without problems. But Im sure an aggressive advance curve is the key to the stage kits. It would definately run cooler. Personally I think the Lloyds controller or a Power commander is the way I'll go. From what I see Lloyds seems to be THE authority on Victorys. The K&N is a good investment IF you remember to service it regularly. Once more bikes hit the streets, it will only be a matter of time before the aftermarket jumps on board with some muffler choices. Ness seems to be tight with Victory. Its only a matter of time before he comes up with something. I cant see them sitting on the sidelines.
mike s
Posted 2007-10-24 8:37 PM (#1088 - in reply to #1030)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
The closed-loop system will make minor corrections to compensate for minor changes (like engine operating temps, air temp, and altitude). Major changes, like punching the baffle plates and high flow air filters/exhausts, will require a remap or the addition of a fuel control.
cjnoho
Posted 2007-10-24 9:44 PM (#1097 - in reply to #1030)

Visionary

So Cal
I think the Lloydz fuel control will be my first mod even before the pipes. Just tweaking timind, advance and rev limit should do wonder for performance. Not sure Im ready for another loud bike.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™