You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cutting up the front speaker "volume" question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

efd158
Posted 2013-09-09 11:21 AM (#144247)
Subject: Cutting up the front speaker "volume" question

Cruiser

Westchester Co., NY
I find the plastic cones right behind the front speakers (or the speaker "volume" in Victory speak) to be very annoying. Has anyone just cut most of it away to make access to everything else easier? Does it effect either the sound quality or quantity? Thanks. John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
roundtwig
Posted 2013-09-09 1:04 PM (#144251 - in reply to #144247)
Subject: RE: Cutting up the front speaker "volume" question

Cruiser

flagstaff, AZ
It may not affect the loudness or volume but will affect the quality of the sound. You will loose some of the low and mids , depending on which speakers you have. If yyou remove the hard plastic enclosures try replacing them with the foam ones.
okie vision
Posted 2013-09-09 1:12 PM (#144252 - in reply to #144247)
Subject: Re: Cutting up the front speaker "volume" question

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
I had to remove (butcher) a portion of mine to allow for a larger magnet speaker. (Dremel tool action)I wrapped the cut opening w/ dynamat to reseal it.
Some guys have completely removed them and used a foam baffle for replacement.
My guess is you'd lose some sound quality for sure but the back of the cone would also be exposed to all the elements so you might ruin the speaker, long term.
Turk
Posted 2013-09-09 1:46 PM (#144253 - in reply to #144252)

Iron Butt

I totally removed mine.... well, not completely... I took them out, then cut the face off so that I could continue to use the four rubberized nuts to mount speakers. I was expecting to lose sound quality, but I sure can't tell. Right now, I have some Focals in after having used the Kickers for a couple of years. They are noticeably louder than stock, without an amp.

Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-09 3:35 PM (#144258 - in reply to #144247)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I just removed mine and will be installing acoustic foam cones in their place (you can find them on Amazon for about $6). The idea of even having plastic housings for the speakers doesn't make acoustic sense. It will take a good speaker and make it mediocre. I'm doing some front end work right now and will reinstall with foam and report back.

Today I installed the cones for the rear speakers. I also took weather stripping and put it on the bottom lip of the grill cover. I have polk audio 5.25s and between the cones and the weather stripping....big improvement. No more rattling or vibration, I am able to take the bass down from 5/6 to 3 and trebles are also much clearer
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-09-09 4:07 PM (#144261 - in reply to #144247)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pics?
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-09 6:07 PM (#144266 - in reply to #144247)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I will pull off the grills tomorrow and post them.

I just got back from a ride on the highway. Before the cones, even witht volume sometimes 22+, the DJ and lyrics were inaudible. Today averaging around 70 with the windshield down I could hear voices and lyrics clearly...volume 15+. HUGE difference for $6
luterdan
Posted 2013-09-10 6:40 AM (#144296 - in reply to #144247)

Cruiser

Marietta, GA
Hey Guys maybe a dumb question, but do we need to install weatherproof speakers or can we get away with regular car audio? The only "motorcycle" ones i have seen are the kickers.

Dan
Turk
Posted 2013-09-10 1:32 PM (#144315 - in reply to #144266)

Iron Butt

Street Eagle - 2013-09-09 6:07 PM

I will pull off the grills tomorrow and post them.

I just got back from a ride on the highway. Before the cones, even witht volume sometimes 22+, the DJ and lyrics were inaudible. Today averaging around 70 with the windshield down I could hear voices and lyrics clearly...volume 15+. HUGE difference for $6

I tried the Crutchfield foam speaker baffles and they totally "muddied" up the sound from the speaker. They were horrible. The baffles don't allow the speaker cones to move freely enough. I've read this on audio sites after I started researching the issue. The one thing I didn't try that I could have, was to cut the back off the foam baffle and try it again. But honestly, the sound I have now is much louder than before. However, even with the Kicker speakers, turning the radio up over about 17 leads to distortion, and even lower volume levels with the stock speakers will bring on distortion. Not sure how you are getting 22+. That seems like it would be seriously over driving the stock radio's amp. That being said, I keep the automatic volume setting (in the radio) at "low", so that above 30mph, it raises the volume by whatever the preset value is.

But still, even just sitting in the garage, there is no way I could turn my radio up to 22 without getting noticeable distortion.

efd158
Posted 2013-09-10 5:36 PM (#144333 - in reply to #144247)

Cruiser

Westchester Co., NY
I didn't think about the long term reliability question of removing the plastic. I assume the foam would still allow water intrusion?! Thanks for the ideas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™