You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Front fender
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Nozzledog
Posted 2013-12-29 6:56 PM (#150089 - in reply to #144525)
Subject: Re: Front fender

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I know they came for the front portion, but they may be a solution for the rear fender. Get those, and some nylon washers that can be sanded down to the appropriate thickness for your own fender, and that may solve the problem.
I have already replaced my fender with a fiberglass one. I'm just trying to help out with ideas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-12-29 11:14 PM (#150095 - in reply to #144525)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
hey Nozzledog...whose fender did you go with?
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-12-30 2:45 AM (#150100 - in reply to #144525)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
HMD520
The rear portion is $185 and wraps further down the tire. A $7 can of bedliner spray, and it looks just like OEM.
Tennessee Vision
Posted 2014-01-03 9:58 AM (#150216 - in reply to #144525)
Subject: RE: Front fender

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
Had a friend of mine apply this filler to the inner part of the plastic. Hopefully you can see this has doubled the thickness of the area around the hole. Will be installing later and hope to avoid this problem again?

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (69KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (66KB - 0 downloads)
willtill
Posted 2014-01-03 10:26 AM (#150217 - in reply to #150216)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Tennessee Vision - 2014-01-03 10:58 AM

Had a friend of mine apply this filler to the inner part of the plastic. Hopefully you can see this has doubled the thickness of the area around the hole. Will be installing later and hope to avoid this problem again?

PERFECT! That is all that is needed. Is that fiberglassed?

Tennessee Vision
Posted 2014-01-03 11:22 AM (#150220 - in reply to #150217)

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
I believe it is fiberglass, but I'm not for sure. I am not skilled enough to do such work. I explained to my friend (who is a professional painter) what was happening to these fenders and what I needed. He came up with this solution. He did not guarantee this would be the "end all" solution, but felt it was indeed likely to add enough strength to this weak area that it could prevent it from happening again. After seeing the added thickness to this area I am also convinced it should work out just fine.

Edited by Tennessee Vision 2014-01-03 11:27 AM
diamonbird
Posted 2014-01-03 11:50 AM (#150223 - in reply to #144525)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
When you tighten the bolt I would think since the bolt head will be against the fiberglass patch and may tear it lose from the fender, also you have now thicken the over all plastic area and now there no way the bolt shoulder will touch the mount on the fork. Good idea and I hope it works but I think it won't unless you can find a long shoulder bolt.
diamonbird
Posted 2014-01-08 4:31 PM (#150371 - in reply to #144525)

Cruiser

I got the spacer collars in today and installed them on my bike, now it's a waiting game and miles....sorry it's winter as I won't know if this works or not until I get some miles on the bike.
I think some rubber washers on either side after using the spacer collars would do the trick though! The spacer collars are m6x4mm from Speedyfasteners.com.......The bolts are SCR-HXFLGHD,M6X16,0600086.......$.50EA at Don Wood Victory Dealer, they are used for the front fairing the same bolts at hold the grill on our bikes.
If anybody needs or wants these spacer collars PM me and I'll send them to you for a small fee. Shipping will be the killer here! I have 6 fenders worth!
I'm not trying to get rich with this possible fix just trying to help all of us out as Victory doesn't give a crap about you and don't forget it.

Edited by diamonbird 2014-01-08 4:34 PM
willtill
Posted 2014-01-08 6:46 PM (#150373 - in reply to #150371)

Visionary

Central Maryland
....just trying to help all of us out as Victory doesn't give a crap about you and don't forget it.

WORD !!!
marcparnes
Posted 2014-01-18 7:57 PM (#150623 - in reply to #150373)

Iron Butt

I mounted a new fender today using a couple of spacers I made. The right and left are different since the plastic thickness varies. The good thing is that the thickness is consistant from fender to fender or so it seems. I made the spacers to have a .005" compression on the plastic which is not much but certainly won't crack it. We'll see what happens.

Marc

diamonbird
Posted 2014-01-19 5:46 PM (#150641 - in reply to #144525)

Cruiser

What I've done is real close to what you've done other than I didn't make the spacer.

(IMAG0233.jpg)

(IMAG0234.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0233.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0234.jpg (51KB - 0 downloads)
wseemann
Posted 2014-01-20 3:48 PM (#150662 - in reply to #144525)

Cruiser

Boydsville, AR United States
The same thing on my 08 last summer. I put it off the having a new front tire put on in Sturgis, and they broke it while on the lift. I didn't notice it right away, but did notice a raddle, til my front wouldn't steer. Used a bungee cord to get home, and then replaced it.
wingit3611
Posted 2014-01-21 9:34 AM (#150677 - in reply to #150662)

Cruiser

wseemann - 2014-01-20 4:48 PM The same thing on my 08 last summer. I put it off the having a new front tire put on in Sturgis, and they broke it while on the lift. I didn't notice it right away, but did notice a raddle, til my front wouldn't steer.

Used a bungee cord to get home, and then replaced it.

Now there's an IDEA. If every Vision owner rode around with around bunge cord on thier finder till Victory desided to fix the fender, it mite ENBARIS them in to fixing it.  A bad rap will get more than a need any day!

diamonbird
Posted 2014-01-21 11:37 AM (#150680 - in reply to #144525)

Cruiser

You will be a very long time riding around with that bunge cord waiting on MaVic to fix anything that could be fixed.......they got your $money$ and that's ALL they were hoping for! You can tell by the way they respond to the problem. It's a wear item you know!?
PSBConsult
Posted 2014-06-26 10:15 PM (#160739 - in reply to #144525)

New user

Maine
I fell victim to the front fender defect this past weekend on my 2011 Vision. Mine lasted until 35,500 miles which is a lot more than other peoples experience. What gets me is that Ma Vic fails to acknowledge there is an issue. Instead they have helped generate a whole new market for new fenders for us riders who care about being safe as we cruise down the road. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (www.nhtsa.gov/). I certainly wasn't the first but I felt it was my responsibility to bring as much attention to this issue as possible. Interesting to note that the NHTSA launched an investigation into this very issue this past March. No posting of any response from the mother ship.
I've enjoyed my Vision but I didn't expect all the issues I've encountered and many of these within the first year. First major defect was the starter died; later the transmission locked up because of a set screw that dropped into the sump. Then issues with the cruise control and radio working intermittently. Bad master cylinder for the rear brake and now the fender. Bikes in the shop right now for rear fender replacement, new brake cylinder and a new cruise control module. All this for $1,100
marcparnes
Posted 2014-06-26 10:30 PM (#160740 - in reply to #144525)

Iron Butt

Just thought I'd mention that since installing the last new fender with custom made spacers as pictured above the fender has been fine. It's been 5 months which is longer than the first few lasted. I think the amount of compression applied by the original screws is what's causing the cracks. If that's true then it wouldn't take much for the factory to come up with updated screws. Doesn't look like they're interested though.

Marc
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™