You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Speakers in general
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

luterdan
Posted 2013-10-01 10:12 AM (#146086)
Subject: Speakers in general

Cruiser

Marietta, GA
Hi All

I am reading the posts on speakers and have 2 basic questions.

First, what impedance for a 2013 Vision? 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

Second, why only the Kickers? What is so special about them? Can we use ANY 5.25 inch car speaker as long as it has a non-paper cone?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-10-01 12:57 PM (#146094 - in reply to #146086)
Subject: Re: Speakers in general

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
4 ohm its not about the brand. its about what FITS.. those front speakers have very limited room! and if you remove the back housing of the speakers to make more room. you Kill your Bass response....
baadawg
Posted 2013-10-01 6:08 PM (#146113 - in reply to #146086)

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
Although with a heat gun you can carefully melt the plastic housing and fit a less expensive and more responsive (93db) Polk Audio db 525!
TimS
Posted 2013-10-01 8:59 PM (#146133 - in reply to #146086)
Subject: RE: Speakers in general

Iron Butt

There are a few things to take into consideration.

Size, depth and "proudness" of speaker.  Need to make sure all dimensions fit (front, back and diameter).  Some speakers with the stacked tweeter modules maybe too tall and hit/conflict with the dash cover.

Matching speaker independence to the amp.  Too low of a speaker impedance will burn up your radio's amplifier.

Efficiency of speaker.  The more efficient the speaker, the less power is required to drive it.

Power handling of speaker in conjunction with efficiency.  Optimal combination is higher power handling paired with higher efficiency.  This will allow the speaker to play louder with less power, while not being blown by applying more power.  Higher power handling with lower efficiency is less desirable and sometimes an indication of a cheap speaker.

Speaker enclosures paired with speaker design.  Some speakers work better/worse in one type of an enclosure then others.  Some are made for free air use, some are not.

Frequency range of speaker.

Some of the aftermarket companies (J&M and Biketronics) are making 7.1 speakers for motorcycles and many have been making 6.5" speakers for motorcycles for years. 

IMO, Victory should have at least provisioned for 6.5" speakers and RCA line outs on their radios with option to disable internal amps when using RCA line outs.

BTW, just picked up a Biketronics BT4180 amp for the Vision.

Edited by TimS 2013-10-01 9:18 PM
goat813
Posted 2013-10-04 1:41 PM (#146218 - in reply to #146113)

Cruiser

W'ford Tx
baadawg - 2013-10-01 6:08 PM

Although with a heat gun you can carefully melt the plastic housing and fit a less expensive and more responsive (93db) Polk Audio db 525!

I did this. Also you want to be sure they're marine grade speakers in case you get caught in the rain or have no storage for your bike.
cw1115
Posted 2013-10-04 4:09 PM (#146225 - in reply to #146086)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Correct on 4 ohms. I had Kickers and did not like them. I have Polk MM521s. The fit right in the rear. They are a little too deep for the front. I tried the heat gun trick. I got frustrated and threw them away and used foam baffles. Sounds great.
Keep in mind I'm running 180W amp. The Polks are an odd impedance, 3 ohm. Theit tech support sais there would be no issue.

Edited by cw1115 2013-10-04 4:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™