You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Poor Santa. Should Have Worn a Helmet.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Oldman47
Posted 2014-01-30 4:46 PM (#150888 - in reply to #149551)
Subject: Re: Poor Santa. Should Have Worn a Helmet.

Tourer

Central Illinois
<p>There is no GOOD excuse for intentionally giving up control of your motorcycle. It is really that simple Valdezip.</p>

Edited by Oldman47 2014-01-30 4:47 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DSmith
Posted 2014-01-30 11:18 PM (#150905 - in reply to #150876)
Subject: RE: Poor Santa. Should Have Worn a Helmet.

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
Vladezip - 2014-01-30 11:19 AM

Tennessee Vision - 2014-01-30 5:01 AM

http://www.midwestmotorcycletraining.com

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/mmsc/rider-training/Pages/civilian-...

http://www.northwest-motorcycle.com/index.htm

http://gcminow.com/wordpress/?page_id=415

There is certainly no substitution for practice, miles logged, and formal classes. No matter how good one thinks their skills set may be there are usually a whole ton of people that ride better. I agree in that it is good to take refresher courses every year or two since we all develop bad habits over time. I would certainly not consider myself to be an absolute pro by any means and there is always room for improvement, but I think I'm a solid middle of the road rider that logs an average of 12-15K annually as well as using a motorcycle as a daily commuter since I work in downtown Phoenix where parking is hard to come by. I understand that one can brake faster without ABS, but I think the likelihood you will stay upright with ABS is much higher then without. I understand about staying on as long as possible especially if the tires are still in contact with the road to shave off speed, but if the bike is sliding on the plastics then I think it's time to let go at that point.

All I'm saying is sometimes laying the bike down is unavoidable and these situations can and do happen for all riders irregardless of skills set and the need to wear the appropriate gear and helmet as a result. There is not a week that goes by where I don't have a close call of some sort dealing with downtown traffic congestion with folks in a hurry, Arizona #1 in red light running, texting, and just simply drivers not paying attention. I usually just plant that Vision headlight/front end on the right side of my lane so drivers get a nice visual in their rear view mirror, but you still get close calls. Will check into the class. I'm sure they will have something similar here.

You have them right in your back yard, the Arizona Drill Team puts on classes for free. They would like a small donation, however you are not required to give them anything.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-01-31 12:03 AM (#150907 - in reply to #149551)

Glendale, AZ United States
I have heard of the Arizona Drill team. I may be wrong, but the majority of the classes are offered one day in the pm during the week or that's the way it has always been, which is out or will need considerable planning since we have 18 month-old at home. I work days and wife works evenings to avoid day care. Will check into it..... Anybody interested here in AZ?
DSmith
Posted 2014-01-31 12:51 AM (#150909 - in reply to #149551)

Cruiser

The drill team in currently doing their Winter Skill Enhancement course Thursday nights from 7-9 pm, probably doesn't work for you now though unless you find a sitter for a few hours. They are half way through the six week course with only three weeks remaining. There will also be a practice field day at the Fiesta Mall on Sunday Feb 9th. I believe the practice field day is sponsored by the GWRRA with the drill team doing the instruction.

Their webpage, http://www.azdrillteam.org/index.html

They practice themselves on Monday nights, stop on up and check out the Vision attempting to keep up with their Wings. Yep, that would be me.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-01-31 11:49 AM (#150921 - in reply to #150909)

Glendale, AZ United States
DSmith - 2014-01-30 11:51 PM

The drill team in currently doing their Winter Skill Enhancement course Thursday nights from 7-9 pm, probably doesn't work for you now though unless you find a sitter for a few hours. They are half way through the six week course with only three weeks remaining. There will also be a practice field day at the Fiesta Mall on Sunday Feb 9th. I believe the practice field day is sponsored by the GWRRA with the drill team doing the instruction.

Their webpage, http://www.azdrillteam.org/index.html

They practice themselves on Monday nights, stop on up and check out the Vision attempting to keep up with their Wings. Yep, that would be me.

I didn't know you were local DSmith. Why didn't you say so. I checked into The AZ drill team website and it does look like they offer the course on Thursday nights, but that started a few weeks back and Monday is drill team practice. Unfortunately, we will be out of town next weekend or you would have a cheering section. Give me a jingle if you or any of your Goldwing buddies are up for a little riding with the exception of this weekend. Maybe Tucson since it does get a little chilly up north, but dry. I will usually go the back way through Florence and stop at Thunder Canyon brewery in Tucson for lunch and head back. A nice leisure ride or Sierra Vista, Tombstone, Bisbee etc. You belong to the Arizona Victory Riders group? Let me know if you or anybody else here locally is up for a little ride.
DSmith
Posted 2014-01-31 11:05 PM (#150941 - in reply to #149551)

Cruiser

Sorry about the confusion, I winter in Mesa and summer in MT. You are more than welcome to crash any of the Thursday night practice sessions with the drill team, they will allow you to ride in one or all sessions. I find them to be a lot of fun, but to each their own.

I ride with a few local groups as well as a group of retiree's during the week. Is the AVRG one of the dealer sponsored groups? I ride with a meetup.com group (Arizona Victory Owners Group), VMRiders (Victory of Mesa), as well as a few other meetup.com groups. There are usually so many rides going on that I have to choose one over another. (sometimes a tough choice) You a member of the VMC? Kingsly posts a few rides there too. All of them are a great bunch to ride with.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-01 5:57 PM (#150953 - in reply to #149551)

Visionary

The untamed helmet http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2014/01/24/be-seen-get-noticed-batman-look...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™