You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Lane Splitting coming soon?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Boots
Posted 2013-12-13 6:13 PM (#149648)
Subject: Lane Splitting coming soon?

Tourer

New Mexico
"The American Motorcyclist Association recently, quietly released an official endorsement of lane splitting."

Sounds great to me!

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/12/12/motorcycle-news/hallelujah-am...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sonicbluerider
Posted 2013-12-13 6:51 PM (#149649 - in reply to #149648)
Subject: Re: Lane Splitting coming soon?

Tourer

, IA
No thank you
willtill
Posted 2013-12-13 6:57 PM (#149652 - in reply to #149648)

Visionary

Central Maryland
They (car drivers) in Maryland would kill you; if you tried to lane split here. They won't put up with someone getting the advantage in heavy traffic.
Oldman47
Posted 2013-12-13 7:03 PM (#149653 - in reply to #149648)

Tourer

Central Illinois
I lived in So Cal for 15 years and practiced filtering, not lane splitting during that time. It is only as dangerous as the person doing it and nobody is going to require you to participate. Today I ride a Vision which is rather wide so I would have to think twice before filtering today on that bike. On an old school standard I would take to it like a duck to water if it was legal here.
varyder
Posted 2013-12-13 7:05 PM (#149654 - in reply to #149652)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

willtill - 2013-12-13 7:57 PM They (car drivers) in Maryland would kill you; if you tried to lane split here. They won't put up with someone getting the advantage in heavy traffic.

True here in central Va. Peoples here will let you know,  and will even try to run you down.

Boots
Posted 2013-12-13 7:11 PM (#149655 - in reply to #149652)

Tourer

New Mexico
willtill - 2013-12-13 5:57 PM

They (car drivers) in Maryland would kill you; if you tried to lane split here. They won't put up with someone getting the advantage in heavy traffic.

See, I never understand when people think that way. If the motorcycles get 'ahead' there is actually less traffic to bog down the cages as there is more road being put to use. Like if someone gets frustrated and decides to drive on the shoulder. It's fine by me. That is one less person in my way.

Edited by Boots 2013-12-13 7:13 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-12-13 7:44 PM (#149656 - in reply to #149648)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
No way I'd do it, legal or not. Too many things to go wrong.
Vladezip
Posted 2013-12-13 9:46 PM (#149659 - in reply to #149648)

Glendale, AZ United States
You all have to see this youtube video where a guy in a pickup hauling a quad no less literally tries to plow down a motorcycle rider on the back road for the better part of 6 minutes. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZkZTYkaM
Crazy.

I was leaving northern Arizona and coming back down to Phoenix and there was a major accident on highway 17 around Cortes Junction about 4 months ago. I decided that I was going to split lanes slowly and carefully on the way down the mountain because I had no intention hanging out and not rolling in 100 plus degree outside temperatures with all my gear on. Next thing I see in my rear view is a convoy (I'm lying, but it was like 3-4 other bikes, hahaha. Sure enough I did get pulled over about 8 miles down stream. I told the officer that I was worried for my safety and not wanting to pass out from dehydration by just sitting there exposed to the elements. He actually let me go. As mentioned, splitting lanes in the Vision is a tight squeeze, but it can be done. I would like to have lane splitting as an option in my neck of the woods only in certain cases as far as I'm concerned. Vlad.
TimS
Posted 2013-12-13 11:00 PM (#149661 - in reply to #149653)

Iron Butt

...  Today I ride a Vision which is rather wide so I would have to think twice before filtering today on that bike. ...

You are right, lane splitting on a Vision isn't as easy as a Sporty or crotch rocket.  My wife will literally puke when I stop after doing a stretch of lane splitting on the Vision.  She hates it and I just tell her to close her eyes.  The Vision's fixed wide mirrors don't help either.  Requires a bit of bobbing and weaving to miss the cager's mirrors.

If you are in a cage, you have to be very alert.  Lane splitting is normally done between the leftmost 2 lanes.  Alert cagers will generally see you in the rearview and move over as a courtesy.  Unfortunately, crotch rockets will race each other on both sides of a lane, so if you move right for the one on the left, your cage can pin the one on the right which shouldn't be there in the first place. 

I have also come back from San Diego when the traffic was doing @ 80-85MPH with crotch rockets lane splitting at well over 100MPH.  There is no room for error if a cager changes lanes.

I have noticed that out of state plates and overseas tourist cagers are not too keen on lane splitters.  They will do everything from blocking the road to trying to hit you.

Edited by TimS 2013-12-13 11:04 PM
rebelce
Posted 2013-12-14 9:53 AM (#149666 - in reply to #149648)

Cruiser

I think a lot of people think lane splitting is unconditional, it isn't. It is only condoned in California under certain circumstances. I personally like it and if you are in the right lane at the right time, tolls are free. http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
varyder
Posted 2013-12-14 10:59 AM (#149667 - in reply to #149648)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I would not have an issue here in Virginia, or the DC metro area. There would be ample opportunity and reason to justify the act, however, as stated before, drivers become very hostile to someone getting one once of an advantage. They will stay bumper to bumper, not allowing others to come in when in inching traffic on merges, etc. I know that lane splitting would not go over well here if legalized. While some will accept it, there are far too many who would go out of their way just to see a biker go down. I've had driver's flat out cut me off and never think twice about. I have others who would change their rate of speed just because I took an opening and passed them, even when there was ample space. There was even once recently that I had to take another out quickly because the guy got inches behind me after passed, and I did not cut him off. Fortunately, the traffic flow allowed me to get well down the road, and to my exit. I could see him running hard after he was able to cut a break. I surmised all of this because he had been riding "normal" for several miles prior to making the pass. While I do not give opportunity to others to take me out, when you become a target, it changes the circumstances.
rebelce
Posted 2013-12-14 12:13 PM (#149669 - in reply to #149648)

Cruiser

Like Vladezip said, it works well in stopped traffic when it's hot or in rush hour stop and go. If the laws would be modeled after CA (and this is little consolation) "Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400)". Hard to do when they're bumper to bumper and stopped.
Vladezip
Posted 2013-12-14 12:53 PM (#149671 - in reply to #149667)

Glendale, AZ United States
varyder - 2013-12-14 9:59 AM

I would not have an issue here in Virginia, or the DC metro area. There would be ample opportunity and reason to justify the act, however, as stated before, drivers become very hostile to someone getting one once of an advantage. They will stay bumper to bumper, not allowing others to come in when in inching traffic on merges, etc. I know that lane splitting would not go over well here if legalized. While some will accept it, there are far too many who would go out of their way just to see a biker go down. I've had driver's flat out cut me off and never think twice about. I have others who would change their rate of speed just because I took an opening and passed them, even when there was ample space. There was even once recently that I had to take another out quickly because the guy got inches behind me after passed, and I did not cut him off. Fortunately, the traffic flow allowed me to get well down the road, and to my exit. I could see him running hard after he was able to cut a break. I surmised all of this because he had been riding "normal" for several miles prior to making the pass. While I do not give opportunity to others to take me out, when you become a target, it changes the circumstances.

You made a very valid point and I completely understand. You got the boys in the full size pickups in order to justify their big three inch all over the road and cutting people off. I don't take kindly to folks trying to cut me off or "gunning" for me. I value my life and want to come home to my family safe. Maybe they need a reality check and forget you are on a bike with virtually no external protection at all. I think my temper would have gotten the better of me in that situation and it would be a definite "fight or flight" response. I would have gotten off my bike, broken his driver-side rear view mirror, and would have given him a talking to with my fist while he can knock himself out while punching my helmet and riding jacket. In that situation I would not ask any questions, but just start swinging. Then you can read about me on the evening news. "Road Rage Incident with Motorcyclist Getting Shot in the Process!"

I look out for motorcyclists to the point where if I can get behind them in their lane I will. That is if they are going the same speed of course as well. This way they don't have to worry about who's behind them even though they wouldn't know that of course. Vlad.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-12-15 2:29 PM (#149692 - in reply to #149648)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
The suggested rules for lane splitting have been updated.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/pdf/lanesplitting_guidelines.pdf

1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic

2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster

3) Typically, it is safer to split between the #1 and #2 lanes (Far left lanes) than between other lanes.

4) Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the
lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.

5) Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

The last time I was in California, a ZoomSplat went by me, sharing my lane, at over 100 MPH.
I saw him coming in my mirrors, but that's just ridiculous.

I think filtering to the front at stop lights or during long waits in heavy traffic should be allowed.

High speed filtering should not be allowed.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-12-15 6:06 PM (#149697 - in reply to #149648)

Visionary

Think of the distance between one car mirror and the other you don't really this a vision with a 54 inch wing spanned is going to fit.
If your going to split lanes is there a prick up a head opening his car door or pulling over just enough to narrow the car distance up.
I go out to the love ride and ride with locals and when its rush hour they park the bike.
Look for a back way to where your going you'll be happier
rebelce
Posted 2013-12-16 3:01 PM (#149730 - in reply to #149648)

Cruiser

Sauntering along between two lanes of stopped traffic on Hwy 17 (San Jose - Santa Cruz) , every so often I would lean the bike over to allow my mirror the necessary clearance to continue on. Yeah, it's sometimes tight, yeah, some people get pissy. Better to have the option than not, you don't have to use it.
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-12-16 11:15 PM (#149742 - in reply to #149648)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
As rebelce states, I'd love to have the option. I don't think I could do it on the big Vic, but if I saw room I'd go for it. On my skinny bikes I wouldn't hesitate. I would like to have the legal option, even though I probably wouldn't choose to do it on my big grey DD.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-12-17 7:42 PM (#149787 - in reply to #149692)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN

bigfoot - 2013-12-15 3:29 PM The suggested rules for lane splitting have been updated. http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/pdf/lanesplitting_guidelines.pdf

That's funny right there.  You can't "anticipate possible movements by other road users" when there are only 2 vehicles on the road, let alone in heavy traffic while you're in their lane.

Who wrote these rules?

Edited by Monkeyman 2013-12-17 7:44 PM
bigfoot
Posted 2013-12-18 12:23 PM (#149804 - in reply to #149787)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area

Monkeyman - 2013-12-17 8:42 PM

bigfoot - 2013-12-15 3:29 PM The suggested rules for lane splitting have been updated. http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/pdf/lanesplitting_guidelines.pdf

That's funny right there.  You can't "anticipate possible movements by other road users" when there are only 2 vehicles on the road, let alone in heavy traffic while you're in their lane.

Who wrote these rules?

California Highway Patrol?

varyder
Posted 2013-12-18 1:18 PM (#149808 - in reply to #149648)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

While no one can fully anticipate the actions of other drivers, riding offensively you can avoid their stupid moves and do a fairly accurate job of anticipating what will happen. It has more than helped, along with good peripherial vision. Every rider should become skillful in their craft and learn to read road conditions and anticipate traffic flow and driver reactions. It's hard to explain, but if you ride taking note of what people are doing you'll begin to see a pattern that will put you in the offensive position and keep you out of danger. The things that really worry me is things like deer, because they are truely unpredictable.  The other thing that concerns me is getting boxed in and a car from an opposing lane crossng the line into my path.

I would not have any problem with lane splitting with rules. Sometimes it just does not make no sense to sit in traffic when you don't have too. Motorcycles should have the leeway to exit safely as long as they do not interfer with others. And just because it is allowed, you should not be obligated to do it if you do not feel comfortable.

If I was in a cage, I would rather a motorcycle not be around me, knowing the potential of harm coming to them due to stop and go traffic. To think they have to suffer just because I am is not logical.

Edited by varyder 2013-12-18 1:20 PM
Cometman
Posted 2013-12-18 3:13 PM (#149810 - in reply to #149648)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
I don't lane split that often here in CA, only in stopped traffic. But when I do I have a habit to glance in the side mirrors of the upcoming cars to see if they can see me. It has allowed me to anticipate the unexpected. A quick glance by the driver before a lane change etc.

Most drivers in my area, when I am lane splitting and they see/hear me coming actually pull to the side away from my path. That elicits a little hand wave by me, thanking them for their courtesy. Only once, years ago did I have a driver open their door into my path- I took off their mirror on my way by...
eagle
Posted 2013-12-18 8:03 PM (#149821 - in reply to #149648)

Cruiser

Columbus, Ga
I hope it never comes to Georgia.
amessen
Posted 2013-12-19 9:14 AM (#149827 - in reply to #149648)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
I lived in CA for 11 years and during that time I rode GW's. We rode and did lane splitting it was conducted very carefully. Does a big bike make lane splitting hard yes impossible no but you need to exercise situational awareness. You need to be very aware of what drivers are doing and this is accepted in CA for a long time. My first time was in 84 also on a Wing and a CHP officer pulled up by me in a traffic jam and told me to follow him as I would get killed sitting still in traffic in San Jose. I followed him and got an education in parting the waters. Would I do it yes this works in CA as they have been at this for a long time but if they offered it in MI I would not be going there as they would not take well to us going up between the lanes. Arch
Miles
Posted 2014-01-06 4:54 AM (#150284 - in reply to #149648)

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
Been on both sides on this one. I lived in Maryland and visited Southern California. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to rolling up to the stop line between lanes at lights. It seemed like for the most part, it was expected. I was in the Anaheim area mostly and around LA and down to San Diego. Another part of the "culture" was at shopping centers to part your bike on those striped areas at the end of each parking lane. Out of the way of any turning traffic and not in the walkway seemed to be the only unofficial rule. Neither of those actions would be tolerated by most cages on the East Coast, especially Maryland. It's a whole different ballgame in different parts of the Country.

As example, and those in the DC area will appreciate this... It took me at least a couple of years to get over not pouring it on when I got into the HOV lane here in Washington State. It's been 7.5 years and I still catch myself. For the most part, unless it's rush hour or some big thing going on, the HOV lanes are moving at the speed the other lanes are. And only TWO people constitute HOV.

Bottom line... Where the overall culture supports it, it's fine and really no big deal. Anyplace else, it's going to be a mess.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™