You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Adjustable timing wheel
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

tmoore
Posted 2014-02-10 1:26 PM (#151200 - in reply to #150986)
Subject: Re: Adjustable timing wheel

Puddle Jumper

Madison/Huntsville, AL

willtill - 2014-02-03 5:55 AM ... 2. Remove the OEM timing wheel itself after the bolt was removed. The timing wheel seemingly did not want to budge off of the shaft. Started gently prying around it and realized that all you really needed to do was wiggle it from all angles repetitively and tenaciously; and eventually it started to slide off with microscopic movement detected..

I've seen a lot of posts, and I concur, these are easy to install and an immediate seat of the pants performance improvement (at the low end).  Love it, recommend it.

Having said that, this is the first time I've seen somone note the one difficulty I had.  In theory the old timing gear 'just slips off' the shaft after the bolt is removed.  Mine was so dificult to 'slide' off, I double, triple, quadruple checked to make sure I wasn't missing something.  But as Willtill said, if you're having trouble just keep working it.  It does in fact 'just slip off'.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Oldman47
Posted 2014-02-11 3:18 PM (#151239 - in reply to #149891)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Tom, my OEM wheel was not easy to remove, yet it was. What I mean is that it seemed to be firmly affixed to the shaft at first but I was able to wiggle it loose using only my hands and a fair dose of patience. I may well have spent 2 or 3 minutes just using my hands in different positions on that OEM wheel and giving tugs with each hand one after the other until it started to look like it was moving. After that things moved much faster.
willtill
Posted 2014-02-23 12:00 PM (#151629 - in reply to #149900)

Visionary

Central Maryland
So I have another question about the 4 degree advance on the Lloydz timing wheel. Should it not ensure a more "cleaner" burn of fuel; since it's igniting it a little more prematurely?

Just changed out my sparkplugs today; along with WitchDoctors yellow/Reg aftermarket plug wires... and was surprised at how rich they looked (16K on the plugs - OEM). I have a Dobeck controller; top Lloyds air filter and the S1L2's. I went and adjusted the Dobeck's Idle/Accelerate/WOT settings back down to baseline for now.

Bike still pulls like a freight train. Am wondering if it was the winter fuel -or- timing wheel -or- Dobeck that made my plugs so rich.

When I say rich; I meant that the ground strap was grayish white, the porcelain on the electrode was brown with shades of black and the lower threads were completely, sooty black. Here's a Picture of them:

Sorry for the crappy quality of the pic...

Edited by willtill 2014-02-23 12:02 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-23 6:20 PM (#151635 - in reply to #149891)

Visionary

Plugs look great. Way better then stock. Just keep track of mileage around 42 to 45 is good over that your burning exhaust valves.
Yes you might have to readjust your tuner. Do you get winter gas there. Summer gas will not be out for another two months I believe.
ljurgens
Posted 2014-06-05 7:39 AM (#158051 - in reply to #149891)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

So I finally got and installed the timing wheel, I left it at +4. All I can say is "why did I wait?".

The install really was as easy as stated, my stock wheel came of easily with a little rocking motion. I used an air ratchet and the center bolt backed out pretty easy, and yes it was coated with thread locker. I used loctite blue on all 3 bolts.

It's very subtle, but it just feels like the bike woke up, feels stronger.

I don't know if this is typical but I think my shift points are a bit higher, probably me just feeling like the bike wants to pull a bit longer in each gear?

Most importantly though, I'm not shifting as much while cruising around the hills and valleys. 3rd or 4th gear feel stronger especially when the rpm is between 2500 and 3000.

And, did you guys notice that the bike starts quicker too!

Edited by ljurgens 2014-06-05 7:42 AM
marcparnes
Posted 2014-06-05 8:56 AM (#158053 - in reply to #149891)

Iron Butt

You know it really is fortunate that we have someone like Lloyd around to take the initiative to develop and offer products like this. It's a pretty limited market so the big guys probably wouldn't bother. The result is that we have all this fun stuff to play with that ultimately make our bikes run so much better. It's a good reason to support him whenever we get the chance.

Marc
Tom13
Posted 2014-06-05 9:32 AM (#158057 - in reply to #149891)

Cruiser

Had mine done about a month ago with a top air filter and tuner and then dyno tuned. All I can say is this old guy feels like a kid in a candy shop with the throttle in my hand now. Worst part is I will probably get my hand slapped for that right hand getting in the throttle jar sooner than later..... LOL
Haze_Gray
Posted 2014-06-05 10:08 AM (#158060 - in reply to #158057)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
Tom13,

I installed the timing wheel several months ago. Then yesterday evening I installed the top filter and the VFC-III. I haven't had the chance to take it for a spin yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Maybe after work today, weather permitting. What kind of numbers did you get of the Dyno for yours? I have a 2013 VV Goldmist also but I don't have the stage 1 on mine. I still have stock pipes, I like the quiet.

Edited by Haze_Gray 2014-06-05 10:10 AM
Tom13
Posted 2014-06-05 12:25 PM (#158068 - in reply to #149891)

Cruiser

Haze Gray

My numbers of the dyno tune with a stage one were start HP 94.01 Torque 110.51 After HP 99.77 Torque 114.15. The big difference was how long the torque lasted at the 110 pound mark on the original run it dropped significantly after 3500 RPM's to around 105 after it hung in there until 4500 RPM's then a very noticable drop to 5500 RPM's With the tuning done it ran right up to 114 pounds and stayed there until 4500 started the gradual drop still pulling over 100 pounds to about 5200 RPM. Haven't had a day to just relearn how to ride it because work has been insane lately but hope to get that done in the next week or so. Actually Ryland did the work at the Vic Shop "TVS" in Adel, IA and I believe that he can get some good numbers out of the stock pipes, also to get those numbers on my old SOB bike it would have cost me thousands got this done for under a grand. I would give Ryland a call super nice guy and very impressed with his work. He has specialized on the victory motors for many years and is happy to share any information to get you steered in the right direction. Once again the Dream Catcher has given me that great big smile.......

Hope this helps give some ideas on what to expect with this combination of parts.

PS he set the timing to 2 degrees advanced so I can burn regular fuel instead of premium told me using the 87 octane that I should see even better numbers the way he tuned it. Thought that was pretty cool that it will actually run better on cheaper gas told me to only go to higher octane if it starts any pre ignition but should not have a problem the way it is tuned.

Edited by Tom13 2014-06-05 12:43 PM
Haze_Gray
Posted 2014-06-05 1:17 PM (#158073 - in reply to #158068)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
TOM13,

Thanks for the info. Those are some good numbers. I'll Have to see about getting mine on the Dyno one of these days. I might run to Myrtle Beach in October during Bike Week and have it done then. I based what I installed on Lloydz dyno charts, with the top filter and the VFC3 it shows about 101 HP max and 103 max torque. I can't wait to get it out for ride to see how it runs. Supposed to be riding to Monticello this Saturday. With a good mix of back roads and highways it'll be a 400-500 mile day riding from Virginia Beach. That's the best part of this bike, being able to ride it all day long and enjoy every minute of it.
okie vision
Posted 2014-06-05 2:34 PM (#158079 - in reply to #149891)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Getting hot and humid and I was pinging at +4 running loaded 2up, towing trailer on the highway. Dialed it to +2, sigh......
Tom13
Posted 2014-06-11 5:45 AM (#158266 - in reply to #149891)

Cruiser

OK had a great weekend went to see family and to do that got in almost 500 miles since my upgrades. Couple of things of note my mileage was around 37.5 burning regular fuel. I was running right at a 70 mph average cruise set with an occasional run up of the speedometer for fun. On the trip up I left in a down pour and ran in a good soaker for 60 miles the last 100 in a pretty stiff head wind. On the way home no rain and also a head wind..... Damn, it was just like when I went to school as a kid up hill both ways during the walk. Averaged about the same numbers on the trip home but was a little more aggressive because I was going to have to go into work or so it looked like it. The wife and I both filled and then refilled our tanks at the 140 mile mark hers a VW Tdi and my Vision well she beat me by three bucks in fuel. Of coarse she had to rub it in until I asked her just how much fun was she having following me.....LOL My bike has never done that great mileage wise but the big difference is the 2 to 3 buck difference every fill not having to burn the high octane yet still having the incredible increase in performance. Being in 6th gear running along and just laying into the throttle without having to grab a gear is real nice for an old guy that still likes to feel like a kid once in a while.

Of note: I was having some problems with backfire and slow speed smooth running lets say cruising along at 15-25 MPH. The backfire I found that if I eased off the throttle it would do it but if I just dropped it back to idle position no backfire self fixed. After talking with Ryland at TVS he was explaining to me that these Victory Motors are not like HD they need to run more like you would run a crotch rocket in other words they like the 2000 to 3000 RPM range not lugging at just above idle 1000 to 2000 RPM range. So once again after years riding HD I am still a student of this great machine which by the way is some of the best learning I have had to do in a long while. Will try another test running mid grade fuel and see how that works posting as I find out......

Edited by Tom13 2014-06-11 6:00 AM
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-06-11 6:24 PM (#158282 - in reply to #149891)

Visionary

I have had the 02's hooked up with little popping. I un hooked the 02's and still get popping. Funny I normally get the popping when shifting the first five miles and then no more popping for the next 168 miles. Then leaving a stop light and will get one or two pops when shifting then nothing.
I do think humidity has a lot to do with it.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™