You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cold Ride
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2013-12-26 7:24 AM (#149976)
Subject: Cold Ride

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Well, I didn't get my new gloves for Christmas so I had to bear with it to see my daughter and family.  I will say it was well worth it to visit with them a few hours.  I have a wonderful daughter and 4 grandgirls that love their Papa Dude.  I set out early Christmas morning after sharing with my lovely wife and it was 27 degrees out.  Those who are familiar with the Vision and the temp gage will know that it was reading -9 on the dash.  I didn't see 31 until I was well into NC, about 100 miles on a 190 mile trip.  I was able to manage the cold going down, I guess because the sun was up and shining on me.  After about 5 hours with the girls, it was time to hit the road again, at sunset.  Now the temp showed 40 degrees on the dash and did so about 50 miles up the road, but I doubted this because it felt much colder. 

I've been able to guess the temperature accurately from riding so long in the hot and cold.  It felt more to be about 35 and it was already putting a toll on me.  I stopped to get gas and allow myself to warm up a little and then I was on the road again.  My feet were already at the uncomfortable level, but tolerable.  The temperature was steadily dropping and it was hovering between 31 and 34 degrees.  It felt like it was at or below freezing the whole time.   I was using my heated seat but only to put my free hand between the seat and my carcass to keep them warm.  I stopped at a NC rest stop to move around and to warm up my gloves by placing them the engine and then I was off again.  I had been moving with the "flow of traffic" but decided to go the speed limit to reduce the wicking of the air to keep from chilling more.  This just prolonged the ride and it seemed I was getting colder by the minute. 

My next stop was the VA/NC rest stop on I95, about 50 miles from my house.  I had thoughts of calling my wife to come and get me and we would go down the next the day when it was warmer and the sun was out to get the bike.  I was feeling rather sorry for myself and was kicking me for not driving the Wrangler, at least I would have been warm.  Just then I heard the rumbles of pipes coming up the road and it was a guy on a Harley, and I threw up my hand to cheer him on on this cold Christmas night, which he returned and rumbled into the night.  I went on in the rest stop and when I looked in the mirror I could see my Jumpmaster wings on my vest.  I reached down and grabbed my rucksack, headed out to the bike and put it in the wind.  I never caught up with the guy, but I did make it home in about 40 minutes, frozen.  The darling fixed me some noodles while I went and took a warm stabilizing shower.  

The guy on the Harley did have a batwing, but I figured he was decked out with heated gear or he was stopping every 20 minutes.  I have ridden in colder, and for longer, but this trip it just seem to bite, maybe because I'm another year older...

Ride Hard, Ride Long, Ride Safe!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2013-12-26 8:13 AM (#149979 - in reply to #149976)
Subject: RE: Cold Ride

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Sounds like the experience will help to remind you of the time you got to spend with the family on Christmas for a very long time.

Once you get chilled there doesn't seem to be way to break it with temporary measures like you managed to take with rest stops and driving pattern changes. Probably started to experience a lower core temperature. Have to worry about staying alert when you get that cold. Any thoughts about replacing the upper deflectors and maybe looking into some lowers?

Glad the ride ended safely. Happy Holidays!
sarvbill
Posted 2013-12-26 8:16 AM (#149980 - in reply to #149976)

Cruiser

Chesterfield, VA

Chris, I find that I can't take the cold like I use to and yep - I blame it on getting older.  You gotta get you some heated gear for these cold rides.  I never believed what a difference it could make until I got the heated jacket and pants liner.  I don't wear the pants often, but the biggest problem you will have with the heated gear is staying awake.  It's like being wrapped up in an electric blanket or riding while sitting by the fire.  It's the absolute best investment you could ever make for cold weather riding, and takes up very little storage room on the bike.

Merry Christmas, and hopefully you've thawed out by now.

jimtom
Posted 2013-12-26 8:36 AM (#149981 - in reply to #149980)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
as I've said. Heated gear is the difference in tolerating a ride and enjoying a ride. It's expensive but for the year round rider doing extended rides in sub freezing temps , it is essential unless you live in south Florida.

Edited by jimtom 2013-12-26 8:38 AM
marcparnes
Posted 2013-12-26 9:21 AM (#149984 - in reply to #149976)
Subject: Re: Cold Ride

Iron Butt

In the fall my wife and I rode from Banff to Jasper. It was snowing going over the pass and the temp got down to 27F. With a full set of deflectors and Gerbing liners we were never uncomfortable. I wouldn't even have attempted it without heated gear. It's hard to stay focused once the shakes set in.

Marc
varyder
Posted 2013-12-26 9:56 AM (#149985 - in reply to #149976)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Excellent advice folks. One thing is that I stay alert for the mind change, because that becomes a hazard to itself. As I was getting close to home I thought I saw a state trooper car in the median, I thought I saw it distinctly. I wasn't concerned about my speed, so I did nothing different, but when I passed the spot, there was nothing there, nor was there a place for one. I was about 20 miles from home, and realized I wouldn't have lasted much longer. Ahhh, the things we do for love...

As far as the shakes, I used to get them real bad when I would get cold like that, it doesn't seem to happen much anymore, maybe my shaker is broke...

Edited by varyder 2013-12-26 9:58 AM
lstayner
Posted 2013-12-26 10:03 AM (#149986 - in reply to #149976)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I made the same mistake 3 years ago. Went riding in cold weather and ended up getting hypothermia without even knowing it. I came about 2' from rear ending a left turning car before I took the shoulder and stopped beside them. Decided after that to either buy heated gear or shorten my riding season by 2 months. I love the heated jacket. Feet stay warm enough with the right boots.
jimtom
Posted 2013-12-26 10:21 AM (#149988 - in reply to #149985)

Visionary

varyder - 2013-12-26 8:56 AM

Excellent advice folks. One thing is that I stay alert for the mind change, because that becomes a hazard to itself. As I was getting close to home I thought I saw a state trooper car in the median, I thought I saw it distinctly. I wasn't concerned about my speed, so I did nothing different, but when I passed the spot, there was nothing there, nor was there a place for one. I was about 20 miles from home, and realized I wouldn't have lasted much longer. Ahhh, the things we do for love...

As far as the shakes, I used to get them real bad when I would get cold like that, it doesn't seem to happen?much anymore, maybe my shaker is broke...

LOL!
Double Vision
Posted 2013-12-26 10:41 AM (#149989 - in reply to #149976)

Cruiser

Heated gear can be a literal life saver.
I won't ride under the freezing mark any more, unless it is absolutely bone dry out. Ice would not be fun.
Ride safe kids.
Oldman47
Posted 2013-12-26 5:55 PM (#150002 - in reply to #149976)

Tourer

Central Illinois
The right gear is essential for extreme temperature riding. When I am riding in the cold I wear my HD brand FXRG jacket and fleece lined jeans. That just leaves my head, hands and feet to get cold. I find a full face helmet takes care of my head except a small area between the helmet and the jacket. A simple scarf takes care of that area. For feet, I have the Vision lowers so no special protection beyond warm boots is needed. My hands used to be my limiting factor on other bikes but so far this year, down to about 25F, my jersey gloves behind that Vision fairing has been plenty with the grip heaters on low. I almost never bother feeling around to turn on the seat warmer with those lined jeans keeping me warm.
Vladezip
Posted 2013-12-27 12:48 AM (#150007 - in reply to #149976)

Glendale, AZ United States
The last few months I have been doing a good deal of late night riding. We have a 15 month-old at home. I work days, wife works evenings with grandma pinch hitting for a few hours during the day since we are not day care people. Hence, I have been rolling out around 10pm and coming home after getting my head together post the day's events, which only a motorcycle ride can do around midnight. Even though I live in Phoenix it will dip down into the 40s at night during the winter with an occasional frost advisory.

Cycle Gear had a special on a winter balaclava for 10 bucks with any purchase recently. It does a good job in keeping the head warm under my modular in addition to my heavy duty winter riding jacket and wool socks. It's tolerable as long as it is above freezing then forget about it. I don't know how you polar bears do it. It looks like I will need to bite the bullet as well and invest in some heated gear, which is pricey. The heated grips work fabulous so no need there, but will need to invest in a heated jacket for sure. Any advice from any of you on heated gear? From my research it looks like the Tourmaster and FirstGear heated jackets seem the most reasonable or is a heated liner sufficient for most applications? Santa had some money left over for a pair of wide foot gortex motorcycle boots, but that's for a different post, hahaha. Cheers, Vlad.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-12-27 6:49 AM (#150010 - in reply to #150007)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Vladezip - 2013-12-27 12:48 AM

The last few months I have been doing a good deal of late night riding. We have a 15 month-old at home. I work days, wife works evenings with grandma pinch hitting for a few hours during the day since we are not day care people. Hence, I have been rolling out around 10pm and coming home after getting my head together post the day's events, which only a motorcycle ride can do around midnight. Even though I live in Phoenix it will dip down into the 40s at night during the winter with an occasional frost advisory.

Cycle Gear had a special on a winter balaclava for 10 bucks with any purchase recently. It does a good job in keeping the head warm under my modular in addition to my heavy duty winter riding jacket and wool socks. It's tolerable as long as it is above freezing then forget about it. I don't know how you polar bears do it. It looks like I will need to bite the bullet as well and invest in some heated gear, which is pricey. The heated grips work fabulous so no need there, but will need to invest in a heated jacket for sure. Any advice from any of you on heated gear? From my research it looks like the Tourmaster and FirstGear heated jackets seem the most reasonable or is a heated liner sufficient for most applications? Santa had some money left over for a pair of wide foot gortex motorcycle boots, but that's for a different post, hahaha. Cheers, Vlad.

I've been using the Warm-N-Safe (also sold as FirstGear brand) heated liners for several years. They have given me good service and I have never had to use their (lifetime) warranty yet. Given your riding conditions, the heated jacket liner will be about all you need, and you will wonder why you waited so long to get one. It also has a heated collar to warm the back of your neck. Get the digital controller too. A simple ON/OFF switch will not be satisfactory--too much heat when on and no heat when off. The digital controller lets you set and maintain your comfort level just like a thermostat.

The jacket liner serves as the base point for a modular heating system if you ever decide you want heated gloves and/or pants/socks. The gloves plug into the jacket sleeves and the pants can be plugged into the jacket. Socks or heated insoles plug into the pants.

When I was a young pup, the cold didn't bother me. Now that I am a "seasoned citizen", the cold hurts and the heated gear is a very welcome addition.

Ronnie
sarvbill
Posted 2013-12-27 7:18 AM (#150011 - in reply to #149976)

Cruiser

Chesterfield, VA
I also have the Warm-N-Safe heated gear. They are an excellent company and their gear is top notch. I highly recommend going with their wireless controller. I prefer the jacket liner over a heated jacket. You want a liner that fits tight to provide you the maximum amount of heat. I find that I can wear a T-shirt under the liner and then my regular leather jacket and stay toasty warm. The other thing that is nice about the liner is that it packs up into a small bag and can be carried in the saddle bags easily, this is nice if you run into chilly/cold weather on a ride that may have started out warm.
jimtom
Posted 2013-12-27 10:49 AM (#150016 - in reply to #150007)

Visionary

Vladezip - 2013-12-26 11:48 PM

get the heated jacket liner from Cycle Gear made be Sedici. It seems to be teh most affordable and it works GREAT
Lotzafun
Posted 2013-12-27 2:38 PM (#150023 - in reply to #149976)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
There can be a difference between cold dry air and cold moist air as in the cold moist air will actually make you feel colder even though the air temperature is the same.
Vladezip
Posted 2013-12-28 1:22 AM (#150032 - in reply to #149976)

Glendale, AZ United States
Thanks for the information. I will check into this for sure. Vlad.
RedRider
Posted 2013-12-28 1:58 PM (#150044 - in reply to #149976)

Visionary

Like I have said before buy silk. I went out today for 100+ miles not as cold as your day. 47 to 41. I have rode in 20 degree. I have silk long johns top and bottom. A silk scarf that protects that area between jacket and full helmet. I wear a hoodie that warms my chest and protects the back of my neck.
I have Vega boots that zip on the sides this way the wind doesn't blow through the laces. I have a 13 year old Wilson leather jacket that zips and snaps up to the bottom of my chin. Leather over pants keep the lowers warm, no wind on the jewels like chaps. I live on the CT coast so most of our chilly days are moist. I have Victory winter riding gloves that I haven't seen in years. The fingers are curved so they don't bunch.
I find a shower warms the core after the ride.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-12-28 9:11 PM (#150060 - in reply to #149976)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hey RedRider et all

I too live in CT. I've been riding in the 20s, 30s and got spoiled today when it reach 53! I wear a heated jacket liner and gloves. 2 reasons - my lower back always got cold no matter what position I had the windshield in. I have the gloves due to the blood thinners I take. The tips of my fingers get cold and the heated grips can't help getting them warm. I have a pair of Tourmaster Caliber pants which are also waterproof. They keep my lets warm and I also have lower deflectors.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-12-29 11:33 AM (#150074 - in reply to #150032)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Vladezip - 2013-12-28 1:22 AM

Thanks for the information. I will check into this for sure. Vlad.

Be aware while shopping that heated gear often comes in two wattage versions. Jacket liners are sometimes offered in both a 65 watt version ( for use on bikes with limited charging systems) and a 90 watt version. A lot of those "bargain prices" are for the 65 watt liners. The Victory can easily handle the 90 watt version.

Also be sure to check the wattage vs voltage vs amperage ratings. Some companies rate their heat output at 13.2 volts, while others use a more conservative 12.8 volts, or even 12.0 volts.

For example, the Warm-N-Safe/FirstGear 90 watt jacket liners are rated 90 watts @ 12.8 volts @ 7.5 amps (typical idling voltage), but actually deliver 99 watts of heat at 13.2 volts ( which you see when running down the road). Gerbing rates their heated jacket liner 77 watts at 12 volts @ 6.4 amps. Converting that to 13.2 volts results in about 85 watts of heat. The Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner is rated 64.8 watts @ 12V @ 5.4 amps, which results in 71 watts of heat at 13.2 volts.

So--at a 13.2 volt standard, you get heat output of:

WNS/FirstGear = 99 watts
Gerbing = 84.5 watts
Tourmaster = 71 watts

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2013-12-29 11:57 AM
Tom13
Posted 2014-01-06 10:45 PM (#150314 - in reply to #149976)

Cruiser

I grew up riding snowmobiles and another option to consider is a one piece insulated suit. Used to ride in the negative 0 temps all the time and never got cold. No reason that it would not work on the Vision with the lower air defectors.....
Street Eagle
Posted 2014-01-06 11:13 PM (#150315 - in reply to #149976)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
not having worn a insulated suit by looking at it I would guess its restricts movement
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™