You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Dissassembly
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Le Saint
Posted 2013-12-29 2:49 PM (#150077)
Subject: Dissassembly

Puddle Jumper

Does anyone know how long it takes to dissassemble every parts of a vision for a paint job?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2013-12-29 3:44 PM (#150078 - in reply to #150077)
Subject: Re: Dissassembly

Visionary

Central Maryland
Twice as long as half the time.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-12-29 4:56 PM (#150081 - in reply to #150077)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Le Saint

It use to be that when new folks and those who have been around posted a question someone would try and help them out.

Its tough to answer your question for a few reasons. It comes down to if you've done it before. When I first started working on my Vision, it was a long and sometimes painful process...especially in you dropped a bolt and tried to find it! The challenge you'll have is to locating the mounting points, example, the console has 04mm screw hiding in the compartments and 4 6mm bolts 2 at each end.

The best advise is to take a look at a service manual and go for it. If you run into a particular problem post a question and I'm sure someone will be good enough to help you out.

DON'T bring it to a dealer...it would probably be cheaper to buy a new bike
Le Saint
Posted 2013-12-29 5:31 PM (#150083 - in reply to #150077)

Puddle Jumper

Tom "Street Eagle",

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Actually, I was just wondering how long it would take for a skilled victory mechanic to do it!!??

Kind regards,

Brett "le saint"
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-12-29 5:51 PM (#150084 - in reply to #150077)

Visionary

am guessing most of 8 hours. First time I changed the head light was close to 3 hours just get to the light.

(user3229_pic52_1285098939.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments user3229_pic52_1285098939.jpg (65KB - 1 downloads)
Lotzafun
Posted 2013-12-29 7:31 PM (#150090 - in reply to #150077)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
If we are talking about ALL of the painted parts I'd think every bit of 12+ hours for the average guy with the average tools. If we are considering an experienced tech that perhaps has a few specialty tools and has done it more than a couple times you might get down to 10 hours.....maybe.

johnnyvision
Posted 2013-12-30 6:18 PM (#150113 - in reply to #150077)
Subject: RE: Dissassembly

Visionary

Le Saint - 2013-12-29 2:49 PM Does anyone know how long it takes to dissassemble every parts of a vision for a paint job?

where do you live? help might be right around the corner

Street Eagle
Posted 2013-12-30 9:55 PM (#150120 - in reply to #150077)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
One quick thought ....my guess most of the Vic mechanics haven't had an opportunity to strip a Vision down. I've taken mine apart a few times. First couple of times was with the help of my friend who happens to be a Silver Certified Vic mechanic. My Vision was the first one he had taken apart. Reason mine came apart, before I took delivery of it, was to install the chrome accessories and install the reverse kit.

JV brings up a great point. There are alot of folks I'm sure that might be able to help out. If not in person, through the forum. What will be very helpful is what others have found through experience what the best sequence is for breaking the bike down.
willtill
Posted 2013-12-31 8:22 AM (#150127 - in reply to #150077)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Le Saint,

My initial post was just to be humorous. You did ask a vague question.

Sadly, there used to be a time on this board when folks could recognize humor. Now many of them just appear to have a stick up their ass; in place of humor.

Happy New year. Good luck with your bike.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-12-31 9:22 AM (#150130 - in reply to #150077)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hey Willl

You are a good man and always have good info. I just noticed that Le Saint is a newer member on the forum and wanted to let him know we could help out. By no means did was I taking a shot...not the way I am. As far as humor goes...at least my wife has one...she married me!

Happy New Year my friend et all.....
varyder
Posted 2013-12-31 11:04 AM (#150133 - in reply to #150077)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Sensitive...

I have to go with Will on this, verrrrrry subjective question, and not a fair one to ask. If want a skilled technician to answer the question, take it to a skill techicia and ask them. If you are just going to do it yourself, for every response there will a different answer.
Leighhannah
Posted 2013-12-31 11:25 AM (#150135 - in reply to #150133)

Puddle Jumper

The more times a particular vision is torn down and put back together, the easier it gets, i.e. getting rid of unnecessary fasteners. hahaha. i've had mine apart several times in the past year i've owned it. an experienced tech. should be able to tear it down completely naked in a day, then put back together in another day.
Le Saint
Posted 2013-12-31 4:37 PM (#150149 - in reply to #150077)

Puddle Jumper

Thank you all for your time, the reason I asked is that I am planning to get it painted and I did ask our local dealer who said he would charge me for a whole day to dissassemble the parts and another to put them back together...well knowing this particular dealer is known to charge quite a lot...I wanted to be sure and it looks like this time he is right!

By the way, thanks for offering to help but unless someone wants to fly over to South France where I live, I think I will handle this one!

Happy New Year!

Le Saint
goat813
Posted 2014-01-01 12:13 PM (#150166 - in reply to #150077)

Cruiser

W'ford Tx
You could save yourself a ton of money then and disassemble it yourself, bring them the parts and then once they're done reassemble it yourself. It might take you twice as long but if you're talking about saving anywhere from 20-24 hours labor charge it seems like it would be worth it. Really it's just unbolting sections at a time, there isn't any special tools that are needed, just some sockets and allen bits. If you have any kind of common scene it's not a hard project to tackle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™