You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

new record low ride
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

jimtom
Posted 2014-01-07 4:58 AM (#150320)
Subject: new record low ride

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
Rode in today record low ride for me at 7F! I was so afraid of getting cold that I grossly overdressed (one heated layer) . I actually broke a sweat. My drink bottle was frozen when I got to work 27 miles later, not solid but still frozen! 1 less layer and I'm good for single digits. My Vision barely cranked , kept it on a tender all night outside under bike cover. It was 7 degrees, I broke a sweat, my water bottle froze , and IT WAS AWESOME!!! No one at my work will believe that I was anything but miserable. They just don't get it. My house said 7 degrees, bank signs on the way read 4 degrees and 6 degrees.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2014-01-07 5:17 AM (#150321 - in reply to #150320)
Subject: Re: new record low ride

Visionary

Central Maryland
You got brass balls. It's currently 5 degree's here and dry. But I ain't riding in this weather if I don't have too.

I don't even want to try to turn the engine over in these lower temps. That oil has to have the consistency of tar at the moment.
jimtom
Posted 2014-01-07 5:29 AM (#150322 - in reply to #150321)

Visionary

I'm the standing Steel Ball award holder for about 20 years running at work. I keep these in my desk. A co-worker gave them to me after a winter storm ride in to work 20 years or so ago

(Steel Balls Award.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Steel Balls Award.jpg (29KB - 1 downloads)
willtill
Posted 2014-01-07 7:22 AM (#150327 - in reply to #150320)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Ha!
ljurgens
Posted 2014-01-07 7:26 AM (#150329 - in reply to #150320)
Subject: RE: new record low ride

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

Temps are coming up here this morning, its only -13 with a -30ish wind chill today and its going up the rest of the week. Heat wave!

jimtom
Posted 2014-01-07 7:35 AM (#150331 - in reply to #150329)

Visionary

I thought I would have to give up my steel balls to my KLR riding , no heated gear wearing friend , but his bike won't crank in this lol! He lost by default. My balls are safe ... for now LOL
SongFan
Posted 2014-01-07 8:14 AM (#150332 - in reply to #150320)

Visionary

Memphis

I rode the Vision to work on a crystal clear day/11 degrees a couple of years ago.  I said to myself "If the bike will start, I'll ride it."  It reeeeaally took it's time cranking over but it started.  "Wow, crud."  I let it warm up for 10 minutes.  No heated gear.  25 mile commute with the best gear I owned.  That hurt.

Now that the Vision is gone, riding below 30 will not be an option without heated gear.  People are surprised when the Indian is not out there on a clear day.  "You don't understand;  The Vision was a freak. The Indian is a normal bike.  I'm not going to punish myself on the Indian just because the Vision could do it easily."

Kind of sucks being a mere mortal again...

Tom13
Posted 2014-01-07 10:08 AM (#150334 - in reply to #150332)

Cruiser

SongFan - 2014-01-07 8:14 AM

I rode the Vision to work on a crystal clear day/11 degrees a couple of years ago.? I said to myself "If the bike will start, I'll ride it."? It reeeeaally took it's time cranking over but it started.? "Wow, crud."? I let it warm up for 10 minutes.? No heated gear.? 25 mile commute with the best gear I owned.? That hurt.

Now that the Vision is gone, riding below 30 will not be an option without heated gear.? People are surprised when the Indian is not out there on a clear day.? "You don't understand;? The Vision was a freak.?The Indian is a normal bike.? I'm not going to punish myself on the Indian just because the Vision could do it easily."

Kind of sucks being a mere mortal again...

Well said SongFan.........

XRsteve
Posted 2014-01-07 10:29 AM (#150335 - in reply to #150320)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I just got back from a ride too......... It was 7F here in NW Georgia this morning but I didn't leave until it was 12F. I didn't use my Weider electric gear, I was trying out my Freezeout clothing. I had the booties, longjohns and zip up over shirt under quilted blue jeans and my heavy leather jacket. It was not bad. Not nearly as good as full electrics but manageble.......... Part of this equation is the Vision, with heated seat and grips. Like Songfan said "The Vision is a freak" of a motorcycle.........I do love it..........
willtill
Posted 2014-01-07 10:50 AM (#150338 - in reply to #150320)

Visionary

Central Maryland
You guys have any concerns turning over and starting the 106 engine; with temperatures this low (5 degree's, 1 degree, ect)? I ask from a top end lubrication point of view.

Certainly you are holding the throttle open a little; rather than letting it just idle in the first couple of minutes?
Tom13
Posted 2014-01-07 10:55 AM (#150340 - in reply to #150320)

Cruiser

Anyone use a one piece riding suit during the cold conditions? Used them all the time when I had a snowmobile.... Just wondering.
XRsteve
Posted 2014-01-07 1:47 PM (#150345 - in reply to #150338)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
willtill - 2014-01-07 10:50 AM

You guys have any concerns turning over and starting the 106 engine; with temperatures this low (5 degree's, 1 degree, ect)? I ask from a top end lubrication point of view.

Certainly you are holding the throttle open a little; rather than letting it just idle in the first couple of minutes?
<

My bike stays in a garage that maintains 50F so I don't worry about that. But I do know that full synthetic oil is good down to -40F for starts. Semi Syn, not so sure........

Edited by XRsteve 2014-01-07 1:48 PM
Oldman47
Posted 2014-01-07 2:23 PM (#150347 - in reply to #150320)

Tourer

Central Illinois

jimtom - 2014-01-07 4:58 AM Rode in today record low ride for me at 7F! I was so afraid of getting cold that I grossly overdressed (one heated layer) . I actually broke a sweat. My drink bottle was frozen when I got to work 27 miles later, not solid but still frozen! 1 less layer and I'm good for single digits. My Vision barely cranked , kept it on a tender all night outside under bike cover. It was 7 degrees, I broke a sweat, my water bottle froze , and IT WAS AWESOME!!! No one at my work will believe that I was anything but miserable. They just don't get it. My house said 7 degrees, bank signs on the way read 4 degrees and 6 degrees.

Before I retired I would ride to work if it was over about 15F and the roads were clear. Not quite as cold as you but I was also greeted with people who just could not believe it. My standard response was that unless I rode to work in the cold I didn't get to enjoy the warm 30+ ride home.

Tims_11Vision
Posted 2014-01-07 4:15 PM (#150350 - in reply to #150338)

Cruiser

Lexington Park, MD
willtill - 2014-01-07 11:50 AM

Good number Jim! I caught crap all day for not riding in at 14 but I still had ice from the late afternoon rain here and wasnt chancing it.

Good question Will and riding year round (usually in the 20s to Jim still has the singles.. lol) I ran across this article on Lloydz site and have been using it ever since. My 04 seems to be happier with it in the cold and I dont see too much differnce on the vision except that tap goes away quicker after sitting in the lot below freezing... While my garage has a slight feed off of the house to keep the chill knocked off, as much as 50% battery loss of power in the real cold days makes me happy when she just fires right up and I can tell that oil is moving. Here is the excerpt from LLoydz or use the link...

Tim

This is a simple procedure that everyone does but I'm going to shed some light on the method I prefer in starting a Victory the way I do.

This applies to all years and all model Victory's. Throughout the course of a year while I was on the road traveling I would tune between 300-450 Victory's a year, add in the shop work and that would add another 100 to the total. So it?s a fairly simple procedure, You hit the button and wait for it to come to life. With starting so many different bikes they do have their own characteristics but they all respond well to this procedure. Before hitting the button I roll the throttle slightly (about an 1/8 rotation) than I hit the button, once to life I like to hold the rpm's between 15-1800 Rpm's for approx 30-40 seconds if the bike is real cold (50 degrees and below) and 15-30 seconds if were above those temps.

Here?s some benefits of starting a bike the way I like too. When a bike is cold so is everything else. Oil is super thick and the oil pump is loaded heavy trying to push the oil through the small clearances to lubricate everything. When the motor first fires up it is straining just to maintain an idle, the computer is throwing allot of fuel (choke Mode) to the injectors to aide in the ease of running cold. This also wants to make things lumber and run slightly slower in engine speed. By using an 1/8 throttle rotation we help the engine overcome these conditions and supply oil to the critical parts quicker. We all know that a warm motor starts easier than a cold one as there is less drag and frictional losses to keep it running with less effort. Yes the bikes are fuel injected and some people assume there might be damage or that its just not correct to use throttle while starting a fuel injected bike. B.S. that?s not the case, not in these years but maybe the future of fuel injection may lead to different results as fly by wire becomes more common and wide band monitoring enters the motorcycle world.

Give it a shot your motor just might thank you.

LG
http://www.lloydz.com/techtips.asp

Edited by Tims_11Vision 2014-01-07 4:17 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-01-07 6:03 PM (#150353 - in reply to #150320)

Visionary

your tires are hard and do not grip. Why do you try to kill your self. Wounder if insurance will cover you for being un safe
Vladezip
Posted 2014-01-07 9:08 PM (#150355 - in reply to #150321)

Glendale, AZ United States
willtill - 2014-01-07 4:17 AM

You got brass balls. It's currently 5 degree's here and dry. But I ain't riding in this weather if I don't have too.

I don't even want to try to turn the engine over in these lower temps. That oil has to have the consistency of tar at the moment.

While JimTom is the proud owner of brass balls, I left the house on a little overcast day with 48 degrees outside here in Phoenix this am. No heated gear here or gloves, just rolled up the windshield and turned on the warmers and whistling dixie on the way to work. Now, what do I do about the freaking summers out here and those 120 degree temps. I may hold the record for the hottest ride maybe, but I doubt it. 118 degrees anyone, but it's a dry heat though? hahaha.
jimtom
Posted 2014-01-08 4:29 AM (#150358 - in reply to #150350)

Visionary

Tims_11Vision - 2014-01-07 3:15 PM

willtill - 2014-01-07 11:50 AM

Good number Jim! I caught crap all day for not riding in at 14 but I still had ice from the late afternoon rain here and wasnt chancing it.

Good question Will and riding year round (usually in the 20s to Jim still has the singles.. lol) I ran across this article on Lloydz site and have been using it ever since. My 04 seems to be happier with it in the cold and I dont see too much differnce on the vision except that tap goes away quicker after sitting in the lot below freezing... While my garage has a slight feed off of the house to keep the chill knocked off, as much as 50% battery loss of power in the real cold days makes me happy when she just fires right up and I can tell that oil is moving. Here is the excerpt from LLoydz or use the link...

Tim

This is a simple procedure that everyone does but I'm going to shed some light on the method I prefer in starting a Victory the way I do.

This applies to all years and all model Victory's. Throughout the course of a year while I was on the road traveling I would tune between 300-450 Victory's a year, add in the shop work and that would add another 100 to the total. So it?s a fairly simple procedure, You hit the button and wait for it to come to life. With starting so many different bikes they do have their own characteristics but they all respond well to this procedure. Before hitting the button I roll the throttle slightly (about an 1/8 rotation) than I hit the button, once to life I like to hold the rpm's between 15-1800 Rpm's for approx 30-40 seconds if the bike is real cold (50 degrees and below) and 15-30 seconds if were above those temps.

Here?s some benefits of starting a bike the way I like too. When a bike is cold so is everything else. Oil is super thick and the oil pump is loaded heavy trying to push the oil through the small clearances to lubricate everything. When the motor first fires up it is straining just to maintain an idle, the computer is throwing allot of fuel (choke Mode) to the injectors to aide in the ease of running cold. This also wants to make things lumber and run slightly slower in engine speed. By using an 1/8 throttle rotation we help the engine overcome these conditions and supply oil to the critical parts quicker. We all know that a warm motor starts easier than a cold one as there is less drag and frictional losses to keep it running with less effort. Yes the bikes are fuel injected and some people assume there might be damage or that its just not correct to use throttle while starting a fuel injected bike. B.S. that?s not the case, not in these years but maybe the future of fuel injection may lead to different results as fly by wire becomes more common and wide band monitoring enters the motorcycle world.

Give it a shot your motor just might thank you.

LG
http://www.lloydz.com/techtips.asp

Thanks for the article! I let my bike idle a couple of minutes in warm weather, more in cold. The Vision is not hurt by cranking/riding in low temps.
jimtom
Posted 2014-01-08 4:34 AM (#150359 - in reply to #150353)

Visionary

johnnyvision - 2014-01-07 5:03 PM

your tires are hard and do not grip. Why do you try to kill your self. Wounder if insurance will cover you for being un safe

I think this is a joke, right? However, I'm sure there are people that believe this, they don't need to ever throw a leg over a bike.
willtill
Posted 2014-01-08 7:19 AM (#150362 - in reply to #150320)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Either that; or he was drinking and serious :-)
rdbudd
Posted 2014-01-08 10:07 AM (#150363 - in reply to #150340)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Tom13 - 2014-01-07 10:55 AM

Anyone use a one piece riding suit during the cold conditions? Used them all the time when I had a snowmobile.... Just wondering.

Yes. I use the FirstGear ThermoGear one piece sometimes. It's good by itself down to near freezing, unless the ride is several hours long. Heated gear, over regular street clothes, under that suit, and I can ride comfortably in zero degree weather, without limit.

One big advantage to the one piece suit is that it prevents the air infiltration that can occur with two piece suits or jackets and pants. It's also waterproof. The disadvantage is that the one piece is all or nothing. It also makes it difficult to get to your pockets on your regular clothing. I have both kinds (one and two piece). I use an insulated Victory leather jacket and FirstGear HT pants most of the time, along with heated gear when needed.

Ronnie
Boots
Posted 2014-01-11 9:39 AM (#150437 - in reply to #150355)

Tourer

New Mexico
Vladezip - 2014-01-07 8:08 PM

While JimTom is the proud owner of brass balls, I left the house on a little overcast day with 48 degrees outside here in Phoenix this am. No heated gear here or gloves, just rolled up the windshield and turned on the warmers and whistling dixie on the way to work. Now, what do I do about the freaking summers out here and those 120 degree temps. I may hold the record for the hottest ride maybe, but I doubt it. 118 degrees anyone, but it's a dry heat though? hahaha.

116 through Phoenix a couple of years ago, so you have me beat.

4 deg coldest I've been in. Bike does fine, but below freezing I start wearing a helmet, and change to my winter plugs
(Pulstar - http://www.pulstar.com/ ). Quicker starts, better top end. They run well the rest of the year, but switch back to ngk in the spring. The Pulstar just seem more fragile for long summer rides. Probably just me being paranoid, but been riding a lot of years on ngk with zero problems.

Edited by Boots 2014-01-11 9:42 AM
loren2
Posted 2014-01-11 11:17 AM (#150439 - in reply to #150320)

Cruiser

Bullhead City, AZ
Used to cover 4 nursing homes in ND as long as the roads were clear I road my Kingpin coldest I ever road was 9 in the morning but it would get to the 50 during the day. I wish I had the Vision then. The warmest temp I ever road is in Bullhead City AZ its a short commute but the temp gauge just flashes 125. We have gone out riding in the AM at 107 and when we come back the last 10 miles are over 120. I have a coolvest but anything over 110 sucks
loren2
Posted 2014-01-11 11:17 AM (#150440 - in reply to #150320)

Cruiser

Bullhead City, AZ
sorry hit it twice

Edited by loren2 2014-01-11 11:18 AM
Highwayman
Posted 2014-01-12 7:47 AM (#150445 - in reply to #150320)

Cruiser

Iowa
I have only missed 2 months of riding since 2003. My record low is -23 on New Year's Day a few years ago. My record high is 106 during the V2V.
jimtom
Posted 2014-01-13 4:54 AM (#150457 - in reply to #150445)

Visionary

wow! That is cold brother!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™