You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

y can't they
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Vladezip
Posted 2014-01-16 11:54 PM (#150584 - in reply to #150567)
Subject: Re: y can't they

Glendale, AZ United States
sonicbluerider - 2014-01-16 7:55 AM

Oh heck I would like one cause I was thinking about a trike. My 2008 vision would be good ;only 72000 miles on it so I though y buy a new bike to trike out.

Don't want to change the topic of the forum, but the trike concept I personally have a difficult wrapping my head around. I get it if you have a difficult time maintaining balance due to health issues, but a trike is not a motorcycle in many respects and will never be, which sort of defeats the purpose of riding a 3 wheel carriage in the first place.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2014-01-17 9:55 AM (#150587 - in reply to #150584)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Vladezip - 2014-01-16 11:54 PM

sonicbluerider - 2014-01-16 7:55 AM

Oh heck I would like one cause I was thinking about a trike. My 2008 vision would be good ;only 72000 miles on it so I though y buy a new bike to trike out.

Don't want to change the topic of the forum, but the trike concept I personally have a difficult wrapping my head around. I get it if you have a difficult time maintaining balance due to health issues, but a trike is not a motorcycle in many respects and will never be, which sort of defeats the purpose of riding a 3 wheel carriage in the first place.

'Tis true, a trike is not a bike anymore, and doesn't handle like one. However, for many people, the time comes when the choice is to either hang up their riding jacket and helmet, or go to a trike so they can stay in the wind.

When the years add up and conspire against you, and the arthritis in your joints makes handling a big bike at stoplights a literal pain, and the knees go bad, a trike starts looking very attractive.

To point of this thread, some of the trike kits have their own reverse and don't depend on the bike for it. I am not aware of any for the Vision, although there are some for the Cross bikes.

Ronnie
jimtom
Posted 2014-01-17 10:04 AM (#150588 - in reply to #150587)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
exactly. When I can no longer hold up a bike , I will add a wheel and keep rolling as long as I can.
luterdan
Posted 2014-01-17 10:45 AM (#150589 - in reply to #150494)

Cruiser

Marietta, GA
So will it be a trike or a spyder? 2 wheels in back or 2 wheels in front. Anyone ride either of them?
rdbudd
Posted 2014-01-17 12:12 PM (#150590 - in reply to #150589)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
luterdan - 2014-01-17 10:45 AM

So will it be a trike or a spyder? 2 wheels in back or 2 wheels in front. Anyone ride either of them?

I have. Dad had a Goldwing trike in his later years. I've ridden a friend's Spyder. I've also "ridden" the Stallion http://www.motortrike.com/trikethoroughbredstallion.aspx

The triked motorcycle comes closest to the "motorcycle experience", although handling is completely different. The Spyder reminded me of riding a 4-wheeler ATV. The Stallion "rides" (drives) like a car.

Ronnie
Bashcars
Posted 2014-01-17 12:18 PM (#150591 - in reply to #150494)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
The Stallion is just a 3-wheeled, very expensive, cage.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-01-17 2:50 PM (#150593 - in reply to #150591)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Bashcars - 2014-01-17 12:18 PM

The Stallion is just a 3-wheeled, very expensive, cage.

Pretty much, although it is more "accepted" at bike rallies than a sports car. It has an open cockpit--no roof. The Stallion is legally registered as a "motorcycle", and the MSO lists it as a motorcycle. The Vehicle Identification Plate says Motorcycle. The price is comparable to a brand new motorcycle conversion trike.

They don't exactly drive like either a sports car (I have a classic British sports car), or a motorcycle trike. It's different, and unique in the experience. It doesn't directly compare to anything else I've experienced.

If you ever get the chance, you should take one for a spin, especially if you are in the market for a trike. You might be surprised.

I think I would rather have one of them than a Can-Am Spyder--all things considered. A triked motorcycle would be my personal first choice if I were going the trike route, and the Stallion second. If you were to ask my wife, the Stallion would be first. The Can-Am Spyder was at the top of HER list until she tried the Stallion.

Ronnie
DSmith
Posted 2014-01-18 8:45 AM (#150605 - in reply to #150494)

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
I have never tried the Stallion, but if the opportunity ever presents itself I will jump on it.

My wife has the spyder and couldn't be happier, we did try out various brands of trikes however the options on the spyder blew them all away. The big selling point for her was the semi-auto tranny. I liked the additional stability and felt the braking was considerably better than any of the trikes we tried out. While the steering may be compared to a atv, it will stick to the road like a vet, something no atv will do. When the trikes are starting to lift a wheel in a turn, the spyder will still keep all three on the ground.

Getting back to the op's original question, has anyone ever checked on how the reverse works on some of the aftermarket trike companies work and if it could be adapted to a 08 without triking it? One thing is for certain, you will never get any help from Victory on this.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-01-18 6:21 PM (#150614 - in reply to #150494)

Visionary

what the hell this is spouse to be about putting reverse on a 08 Not some guy changing the topic to trikes
varyder
Posted 2014-01-18 6:41 PM (#150616 - in reply to #150494)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of reverse on a motorcycle. I don't mind riding with trikes as long as they don't think they're riding a motorcycle. My opinion on trikes; if I think I need one, I'll get me a convertible. Wait, I got one already, it's a Wrangler.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-01-18 7:55 PM (#150622 - in reply to #150605)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
DSmith - 2014-01-18 8:45

Getting back to the op's original question, has anyone ever checked on how the reverse works on some of the aftermarket trike companies work and if it could be adapted to a 08 without triking it? One thing is for certain, you will never get any help from Victory on this.

The trike kits that offer reverse use a ring gear and separate starter type motor. The ring gear mounts on the rear axle shaft and the motor mounts on the rear differential housing. It will not work on a regular motorcycle, as it is too large.

The Victory motorcycle reverse works the same way, with a small ring gear mounted to the drive sprocket and the start type motor mounted to the frame. The problem is that there are no mounting bosses on the 2008 frame to mount the motor to, or it could be made to work. To mount the factory reverse on a 2008, one would have to either have a skilled shop weld mounting bosses to the 2008 frame (and get the critical alignment correct), or swap the mid section of the frame for a 2009 or later piece.

I have a 2008 and wish it had reverse. I have a 28 inch inseam and a severe injury to my right foot that results in having 2 or 3 inches less reach to the ground on my right side than my left. Basically, I can only push back with my left foot. My right foot is only good for use as a peg to hold the bike up. I cannot straddle the bike and paddle it backwards in any situation other than on a level and paved surface. Obviously, I've learned to park carefully, but sometimes there are just no good options. I've had to have assistance backing the thing up many times. Usually, my wife does the honors, but if I'm alone, I have to get someone else to help.

Doctors told me that I would have to give up riding motorcycles 32 years ago because of the injury. I went back to riding ever since I got out of the hospital and back on my feet, but I could sure use reverse on this 900 pound bike. I guess I'm just a sissy for wanting reverse on a bike, or for considering a trike, according to some here.

Ronnie
willtill
Posted 2014-01-19 4:13 AM (#150628 - in reply to #150494)

Visionary

Central Maryland
No, you certainly are not a sissy Ronnie. Kudo's to you for continuing to pursue motorcycling; despite it's challenge regarding your foot.

I've never looked down at anyone for riding a trike; or having enhancements done to their motorcycle; to compensate for any physical issues that they may have. For one to make disparaging remarks about it; is someone I'd rather not meet and regard as a fellow motorcycle enthusiast.
varyder
Posted 2014-01-19 4:58 AM (#150629 - in reply to #150494)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I really wouldn't let my opinion or the opinion of anyone else let you make a decision for you. You take what you want from anything and everything said, I do. Even when I was riding the GL1200 I was vertically challenged, and the GL1500 was so more difficult I refused to let my wife ride on it. I'm glad I got the Vision. Even now, being 55 I've got an injury that is affecting my left hand that is making me think daily what is the longevity of my riding years. So far it is not affecting my ride unless it gets extremely cold. While I love to ride and have racked up close to 200,000 miles in 8 years, I have no desire to trike it if I physically can no longer maintain riding a bike. Seriously, to each their own, I cheer you on, as long as you stay safe doing it.

To me a trike is just another form of transportation.  I like the looks of most of them and find they are really nice.  I get the idea that it makes you feel like you're on a motorcycle.  For many, you'll never pry the bars out of their hands, I'm okay with that and I say, ride on.  But if I can't ride it like a motorcycle with the lean, etc, I personally would rather have 4 wheels and a top.  That's just me, and me alone.

It's sad to think we live in a time that people only have the right to say what everybody else agrees with.  Good or bad, comments help people forumate what is right and wrong.  Certainly, some make comments out of uninformed opinion, others out of experience and they have the reason for believing as they do.  What I really get sick of reading is the number of motorcycle accidents deaths seem to be increasing.  Not because of stupid cagers, but seemingly because of the rider themselves.  Even Saturday I saw a guy pulling out of the Harley dealership into heavy traffic.  When I saw him I told the wife he shouldn't be riding because he could get himself killed.  She said that maybe he was just learning to ride.  Which I replied, he should not be doing it on a busy highway, he needs to go to a safety course or take another one.  Sometimes we have to stop doing the things we love to do for our own sake and the sake of others.  Only you, and you alone know your limitations.  I admire tenacity, love tenacity and the passion in people to do things.  I just hope personally, I have enough sense to know when to hold them, and know when to fold them.

Edited by varyder 2014-01-19 5:20 AM
DSmith
Posted 2014-01-19 8:31 AM (#150632 - in reply to #150622)

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
rdbudd - 2014-01-18 6:55 PM

The trike kits that offer reverse use a ring gear and separate starter type motor. The ring gear mounts on the rear axle shaft and the motor mounts on the rear differential housing. It will not work on a regular motorcycle, as it is too large.

The Victory motorcycle reverse works the same way, with a small ring gear mounted to the drive sprocket and the start type motor mounted to the frame. The problem is that there are no mounting bosses on the 2008 frame to mount the motor to, or it could be made to work. To mount the factory reverse on a 2008, one would have to either have a skilled shop weld mounting bosses to the 2008 frame (and get the critical alignment correct), or swap the mid section of the frame for a 2009 or later piece.

I have a 2008 and wish it had reverse. I have a 28 inch inseam and a severe injury to my right foot that results in having 2 or 3 inches less reach to the ground on my right side than my left. Basically, I can only push back with my left foot. My right foot is only good for use as a peg to hold the bike up. I cannot straddle the bike and paddle it backwards in any situation other than on a level and paved surface. Obviously, I've learned to park carefully, but sometimes there are just no good options. I've had to have assistance backing the thing up many times. Usually, my wife does the honors, but if I'm alone, I have to get someone else to help.

Doctors told me that I would have to give up riding motorcycles 32 years ago because of the injury. I went back to riding ever since I got out of the hospital and back on my feet, but I could sure use reverse on this 900 pound bike. I guess I'm just a sissy for wanting reverse on a bike, or for considering a trike, according to some here.

Ronnie

I figured it was something like that and couldn't be just a simple add or somebody would have already done it. There is probably not enough demand for any of the aftermarket guys to take this on and develop a add on kit so for now I will just have to count on someone to give me a push back when it is required. (just happened again yesterday)

I will not try to justify the extra's I wish my bike had or even my bike to those naysayers that try belittle me for my wants. It does make me chuckle inside though when I see them riding and they can't even make a simple U-turn without duckwalking their bike around, but hey, there're cool.

Thanks for the explanation Ronnie, I could have looked into it myself, but it was easier to just ask somebody that already had.

Carry on..
rdbudd
Posted 2014-01-19 12:18 PM (#150638 - in reply to #150632)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
You're welcome.

I must say that the Vision kept me off of trikes and on a luxury touring bike for several more years. I was riding a Goldwing before, with a cut down seat (and it has reverse), and had about resigned myself to a trike due to the difficulty I was having handling the bike at stops and in parking lots, when Victory announced the Vision. The 2.6 inch lower seat height of the Vision made all the difference, and the bike is more comfortable to ride to boot. Still, reverse would make handling it much easier in many situations.

I looked long and hard at what it would take to add reverse to my 2008 after Victory came out with it in 2009, in conjunction with my dealer. We really got into the details. If it were feasible, I would have done it. The physical lack of the mounting points on the 2008 frame is the biggest obstacle, and getting the alignment and adjustment of the factory reverse on the 2009 and later bikes is already critical to proper operation. Trying to add mounting points to the 2008 frame isn't practical. If one really wants reverse on their 2008, you'll need to replace that part of the frame with a 2009 or later piece, then the factory reverse will mount up. The electrical connections could be worked around, but there would be no "R" in the gear indicator to remind you that you've got the reverse engaged.

Ronnie
PhantomX
Posted 2014-01-20 1:42 AM (#150652 - in reply to #150494)

Cruiser

Land O Lakes, FL
I kinda agree with some of the others, I'm only 5'7" and I have no problem pushing the bike around where I need it go, as for parking I just park accordingly... I had it on my goldwings but never actually used it other than to see if it worked.
jimtom
Posted 2014-01-20 4:47 AM (#150656 - in reply to #150652)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
copied and pasted my reply to similar post in VMC: "when I'm older and unable to safely navigate or hold up my bike , I will get reverse and or a trike. All you hecklers will be too proud. I'll enjoy 15+ more years in the wind, knees in the breeze (Lord willing , of course)while the proud proudly drive their cages trying to remember what it felt like "

Chris , the Jeep would be the best option for 4 wheels but it's the least attractive option for me, I need "knees in the breeze" and I can only get that on 2 and 3 wheels. Ride and let ride.
ljurgens
Posted 2014-01-20 7:41 AM (#150657 - in reply to #150589)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

luterdan - 2014-01-17 10:45 AM So will it be a trike or a spyder? 2 wheels in back or 2 wheels in front. Anyone ride either of them?

I have ridden the Spyder. If you have ever ridden a snowmobile, its very similar. The "sport" spyders actually slide you around on the seat a bit if you are pushing it. The touring models have seats that hold you a little better. Either way, its really nothing like riding a bike other than you are "in the wind".

Edited by ljurgens 2014-01-20 7:50 AM
VBear
Posted 2014-01-21 8:23 AM (#150673 - in reply to #150589)

Cruiser

Bancroft Ontario, Canada
I have ridden both the Spyder and a couple of goldwing trike conversions.....geometry #1...the most unstable form is a triangle....a triangle moving with the point forward is far more unstable than a triangle with the point in the rear....remember the 3 wheelers before the 4 wheel quads....the spyder was far nicer to drive and was much more stable than the trikes i rode....just my nickle

Vbear
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™