You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Aluminum panels
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2008-07-30 9:34 PM (#14747)
Subject: Aluminum panels

Visionary

Memphis
I'm trying to order some aluminum stock to custom match the panels on the bike.  What are they made of?  Is it white anodized aluminum? It looks like a lighter color than just brushed aluminum.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-31 4:26 PM (#14839 - in reply to #14747)
Subject: Re: Aluminum panels

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Depends. Half of it is plastic. The windshield trim is just brushed aluminum. The sides are just plastic. The trim on the tank is aluminum clad plastic. The rear valence is plastic. I believe the cowling trim is actually brushed aluminum. None of it is anodized, as near as I can tell.
SongFan
Posted 2008-07-31 4:55 PM (#14842 - in reply to #14747)
Subject: RE: Aluminum panels

Visionary

Memphis
Thanks.  I guess my eyes just think it's a lighter color than brushed aluminum.
metalguy
Posted 2008-08-01 12:38 AM (#14894 - in reply to #14747)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
The grilles, the engine trim, the rear engine trim, the console trim, and the windshield piece are all aluminum. The rear valance is plastic. I replaced them all but the rears. Still have the other pieces, and powdercoated them black. If they were plastic, the 400 degree cure would have made them melted plastic. Besides, powdercoating will only cling to metal through the static charge. ------Metalguy
Tarpits99
Posted 2008-08-01 1:19 AM (#14896 - in reply to #14747)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
Aluminum is just like any other metal if not treated it will oxidize. Look at any "mill finish" aluminum storm door and you'll see what I mean, if run your fingers over it you will get black aluminum oxide on you hands, most people think that its dirt - it isnt. The panels on the Vision have to be treated in some way or they would oxidze and discolor. Acid and oils from your hands would leave fingerprints that would turn black on the untreated aluminum.
I doubt that Victory would leave these panels untread for both cosmetic and warranty reasons.

My guess is anodized, although they could be clear coated like is done with aluminum softball bats and other sports equipment, but that usually leaves telltale signs such as bubbles or other small imperfections like dust "pinholes" in the finish.
metalguy
Posted 2008-08-03 3:41 AM (#15072 - in reply to #14747)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
ok, they are not clear coated. I am pretty sure they are hard anodised, as the clear coat wouold not let the powder coat adhere over it, and would certainly bubble up during cure. Not all aluminum will oxidize readily. Pure Al will not oxidize for quite some time. Aircraft aluminum alloys will, however, as the alloys in them make them much more suseptable to it. Many Aircraft alloys are clad in pure Al for this reason. -------Metalguy
bsquared62
Posted 2008-08-04 7:04 AM (#15158 - in reply to #14747)

Cruiser

Woodstock, GA
Related question...I know I read somewhere that folks have taken all the panels off and put them back on themselves. But has anyone gotten an estimate from a dealer for doing this? I plan to put the chrome valances on, and paint the rest. Just trying to figure out how to best get it done.
cw1115
Posted 2008-08-04 9:22 AM (#15165 - in reply to #14747)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
devilboy posted "Labor is approx 10hrs R&R of all brushed aluminum parts". I have seen a similar post by others. I did it all myself. It took me about 6 hours to get the bike apart without the manual. I did also take the tipovers and grab handles off for paint and that was part of the six hours. Putting back together wasn't much faster.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™