You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

had a dumba:: moment JUMP START
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

babyboov92c
Posted 2014-03-23 10:14 AM (#152577)
Subject: had a dumba:: moment JUMP START

Puddle Jumper

The battery was down on my 08 vision. So I tried to jump it off my truck. It wasn't dead just had sat for a while and needed a little boost to get to turn over. In a hurry I jumped it backward. Didn't try to start it but did turn the key on. that when I checked and found my mistake. I know probably shouldn't have even tried it off my truck butt I was in a hurry. What can I say but call myself a dumb ass. I changed it around got it started went for a short ride . Every thing is working ok BUT no sound from my radio and my voltage gage shows charging around 14 or 15 volts . I have a Kenwood KOS-A300 media player in one of my saddle bags . Along with a fused positive & negative wire ran from my battery . The sound is ran to the radio through the AUX plug. Well the media player got enough power from the negative side to burn it up and went to the AUX plug and took out the speakers channels in my radio.Everything on the radio works like it should just no sound. I found where I can get the radio repaired from another post .But my biggest concern is what other damage might I see in the future . Once I got it started it ran and started fine just the voltage gage has got me a little worried .I charged the battery the right way and started it latter and with the battery showing a full charge the gage still shows 14 or 15 volts .Is t possible I just ruined my battery or could it be worse ? The battery is just a year or so old. I also checked all my fuses none where burnt except the ones on my wires I had ran to my saddle bags for the media player.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2014-03-23 10:44 AM (#152580 - in reply to #152577)
Subject: RE: had a dumba:: moment JUMP START

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I would say you're lucky the bike battery didn't literally blow up when you reversed the jumper cables. I've seen it happen before.

I would try disconnecting the battery and putting it on a battery charger, the checking the voltage with a voltmeter after the charger indicates a full charge and the battery has set for a half hour or so. Or, just have the battery checked. I'm interested in the surface charge the battery will maintain.

Disconnecting the battery for a time might just let your radio reset and it might decide to start working again. Free to try. I would also double check all your radio settings. Perhaps in all the confusion the mute button got activated.

If the battery checks out good, I would be concerned that you might have fried your voltage regulator. 15 volts is too much.

Ronnie

radioteacher
Posted 2014-03-23 11:31 AM (#152586 - in reply to #152577)
Subject: Re: had a dumba:: moment JUMP START

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I was thinking the same....disconnect the battery. Also check fuses.

RT
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-03-23 6:09 PM (#152601 - in reply to #152577)

Visionary

<p>charge battery take to auto store and have them do a load test. Unless you want to be in middle of know where and no battery. When you turn key on volt gage will show you how strong the battery is. When you start bike it should be 14.2 or 14.5 that will show stator and regulator are working. If going down the road and it drops to say 13v one of the three are bad. Bat stator or regulator. With no fuse's blowing then you might be just fine.</p><p><strong>If you ever jump off a car or truck battery NEVER have car or truck running. This way you'll only have 12v</strong></p>

Edited by johnnyvision 2014-03-23 6:10 PM
Oldman47
Posted 2014-03-26 3:38 PM (#153716 - in reply to #152577)

Tourer

Central Illinois
<p>dupe post</p>

Edited by Oldman47 2014-03-26 3:39 PM
Oldman47
Posted 2014-03-26 3:38 PM (#153717 - in reply to #152577)

Tourer

Central Illinois
14 volts is normal on my Vision and is what I have been reading when the engine is running for almost a year now. It only reads about 12.5 before I start it although a lead/acid battery should read 13.2 when fully charged. 15 is another matter, it is a bit high for a bike charger although lots of cars read that high when running.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-03-26 6:11 PM (#153722 - in reply to #152577)

Visionary

No one use a Lead Acid battery any more do they. Sealed battery's have been around for over fifteen years. Only a fool would use a lead acid one
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™