You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Backfire,black smoke and flooding.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Bobbo
Posted 2014-03-23 6:13 PM (#152602)
Subject: Backfire,black smoke and flooding.

New user

Hello, I am brand new here and need a little guidance. I live in Ohio, and riding days are numbered, but I try to start my 2008 Vision every week or so during the winter months. All seemed well until I decided to start up to warm up for a quick ride yesterday. After starting, the engine started to back fire without touching the throttle. I pushed it out of the garage fearing safety and every 20 seconds or so, a VERY loud backfire with a puff of black smoke would emit. I thought it could be just very cold and soon this would stop. The last backfire also puffed black smoke from behind the engine jugs near the rear cylinder. Spooked, I shut it down. I waited for a few minutes and then decided to restart it. Now it cranks but won't light. There was a strong odor of gas, so I figured it was flooded. I have not tried to start it up today. I have heard that there was a problem with intake gaskets on these bikes and am hoping that is not the case. The bike has 5200 miles on it and has never let me down to start on the first try.
The only thing that has been changed since I bought it in late 2011( it was a leftover floor demo) was the addition 2 seasons ago of CFR slip ons. Only thing I noticed after these were the occasional gear 3-4 pop from the exhaust.
Thanks in advance from anyone that may have insight. I'll try a start up in the morning.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2014-03-23 9:51 PM (#152614 - in reply to #152602)
Subject: RE: Backfire,black smoke and flooding.

Visionary

Jasper, MO
If you started it several times during the winter, but didn't actually ride it, you may have fouled your plugs.

I would try this. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Get a new set of spark plugs. With the spark plugs removed, blow some air into the cylinder to dry out the cylinder. Or, just leave the plugs out for a while so the flooded cylinder will dry out. Put the new plugs in and try it.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-03-23 9:53 PM
steve76t
Posted 2014-04-15 8:34 PM (#154305 - in reply to #152602)
Subject: Re: Backfire,black smoke and flooding.

Puddle Jumper

Any news on your issue? Like RdBudd said, the first thing I'd check are the plugs. Best thing for a bike during winter storage is simply connecting the battery to a maintenance charger such as a Battery Tender. Starting a bike just to let it run for a little bit can foul plugs after just a few starts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™