You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cam chain noise and loose rear chain Questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

MR139
Posted 2014-04-04 3:06 PM (#153977)
Subject: Cam chain noise and loose rear chain Questions

Puddle Jumper

Yesterday I installed the Adjustable Timing System from Lloydz on my 2008 Vision and noticed that the front timing chain was tight on both sides while the rear chain was slack on the front side of the chain and snug at the back of the chain. Is this normal? The bike was out for a run in the morning and was sitting for a couple of hours before I did the ATS installation so it was at 70 degrees ambient temperature when I did this work. The engine has been noisy as in something loose for a while and can be heard at engine idle over Nascar 6 exhaust. I just thought the noise was normal since the bike runs so well except for the occasional stalling for no reason and the backfire between shifts and it runs even better now with the ATS installed +4 degrees but noise is still there and now I am starting to think that something is not right after seeing the loose rear chain. Do the tensioners leak down after sitting and would the loose chain be normal when off and cold? How can you tell if chain tensioner is bad? Anybody? Thanks for any help or thoughts.

2008 Vision Tour Premium
Arlen Ness front a/f ,Lloydz top a/f, Nascar 6 pipes, Lloydz vfc III, Lloydz ATS and thats it for engine mods to best of my knowledge.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2014-04-04 3:37 PM (#153978 - in reply to #153977)
Subject: Re: Cam chain noise and loose rear chain Questions

Visionary

Central Maryland
Subscribed to this thread. Interesting.
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-04-04 5:01 PM (#153981 - in reply to #153977)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The tensioners require oil pressure to work. Unless your checking them with the engine running, the chains will not have tension on them.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-04 6:24 PM (#153982 - in reply to #153977)

Visionary

with a real long screw driver or a wood broom handle. Start bike let it run for a bit. Now hold what ever you have against the front cylinder put your ear on the device. You can hear what its doing. Now do the rear and see if it should the same.
MR139
Posted 2014-04-05 11:23 AM (#153997 - in reply to #153981)

Puddle Jumper

Nozzledog - 2014-04-04 5:01 PM

The tensioners require oil pressure to work. Unless your checking them with the engine running, the chains will not have tension on them.

Thats what I thought but wasnt sure if they worked like lifters and can stay pumped up for a while. Because front chain was snug and rear was loose. I think I am just gonna take it apart and see what it looks like and clean it up and if looks good, just put it back together.
kevinx
Posted 2014-04-05 4:23 PM (#154004 - in reply to #153977)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Valve springs can have the cam turned to hold tension on the chain. So what you saw was normal
MR139
Posted 2014-04-05 5:44 PM (#154006 - in reply to #153977)

Puddle Jumper

Yes , and I should know better as I have been a diesel mechanic for 30 years. What was I thinking. I guess the noise was just bothering me. Thanks Kevin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™