You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

rear tensioner
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

blackpearl
Posted 2014-04-09 10:55 AM (#154105)
Subject: rear tensioner

Puddle Jumper

Like some of you, my 08 Vision also has some loud tapping at cold start-up that lasts for about 5 seconds. Bike is stock except for lloydz tming wheel, and has about 11K miles. Sound seems to be coming from rear tensioner. My question is I looked up the part at Victory Parts R us and it shows the part Number changed to a new number , and was wondering if Victory also changed the tensioner to a new and improved or is it still the same? Bike runs great otherwise, but there was no tapping for the first 10K miles. I use amsoil 10w/40. I would order the new tensioner if I knew they improved it.
Thanks all, I enjoy reading all your posts.
blackpearl
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2014-04-09 10:58 AM (#154106 - in reply to #154105)
Subject: Re: rear tensioner

Visionary

Brighton, TN
it's more than likely your lifters.
blackpearl
Posted 2014-04-09 12:50 PM (#154108 - in reply to #154105)
Subject: RE: rear tensioner

Puddle Jumper

Although it could be the lifters, using my stethoscope the tapping seems to be lower near the rear tensioner. Thanks for your input. If anyone has had a similar problem and found a cure please let me know.

blackpearl
08 Vision
diamonbird
Posted 2014-04-09 12:57 PM (#154109 - in reply to #154105)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
If it was my bike I would pull the time cover and hand feel the tension of the chain (motor not running)and also check to make sure the timing wheel is not loose but I also think it's a lifter making the sound!
pollolittle
Posted 2014-04-09 2:37 PM (#154115 - in reply to #154105)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Well, now your gonna make me breakout my stethoscope and see where I hear it from. Mine seems to have done it for awhile. Mostly on the first startup of the day or after sitting, but especially cold out.
varyder
Posted 2014-04-09 2:37 PM (#154116 - in reply to #154105)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I ride everyday so the tapping is not so pronounced, but I get it. It's bad when it sets for a few days, especially closer to oil change time. At 155,560 and the bike is still running strong, I'm not too worried about it at this point.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-09 6:10 PM (#154119 - in reply to #154105)

Visionary

the chain tensions are oil filed i believe and can leak down like the lifters. If it goes a way in five seconds don't worrie about it.
If it last for more then a minute then worrie
I had my timing cover off today and both chains were tight. If you do find a loose one rotate the motor over to load that valve
blackpearl
Posted 2014-04-10 12:51 PM (#154131 - in reply to #154105)

Puddle Jumper

Again, thanks to all who posted. The lloydz timing wheel was put on by me after the tapping sounds started. While there checked tension on the chains and they were tight. In all probability it is just a leek down on the tensioner between cold starts. I only ride the bike a couple times per week. I was hoping because of the part number change from 08 to 10 there might have been an upgrade to the rear tension housing/bolt and maybe someone out there knew of such. For now I'm just not going to worry about it and ride the bike.
blackpearl ( name of bike)
08 Vision
stock except for lldz timing wheel
MYVEGASVISION
Posted 2014-05-25 9:23 PM (#157699 - in reply to #154105)

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas, Nevada
I have an 08 as well and the same problem, When I brought it into A-Team in Vegas they told me it was a bad tensioner. $269.00's later I had the same issue and tapping as before. I ask them if the old tensioner was worn or loose they said no so you might as well have pissed that money away.

I've had success by propping my bike up (putting something under the kickstand) so the bike stands in a more upright position it helps eliminate a lot of the tapping when the bike sets for any period of time. When the bike is leaned to the side oil will drain from the lifters not allowing any lubrication to stay there, after a while when you go to start it , it causes tapping until the oil gets circulated upon starting. I have cut mine back to only tapping for the first 3-5 seconds and like others it hasn't effected the bikes performance at all other than it being annoying.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-05-26 7:57 AM (#157700 - in reply to #154105)

Iron Butt

You guys probably are already aware of this but the tensioners are not pressure fed. They get their oil as a result of oil splashing around inside the chain cavity as well as oil draining back from the cylinder head. So if one of them had a not so perfect sealing check valve allowing some slackening of the tensioner after sitting overnight it could take some time for additional oil to find it's way to the tensioner during which you might hear some chain slap. I get tapping noise most of the time when the engine starts up and during other random times but I'm pretty sure its the lifters. These engines seem to be prone to that and it doesn't seem to hurt anything over the long haul. Just consider that Chris' bike is still running fine after 155K miles :-)
varyder
Posted 2014-05-26 9:51 AM (#157708 - in reply to #154105)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I pulled 158,600 miles yesterday from Rolling Thunder. I was a little concerned and thought I had some clutch slippage on the original clutch. Just changed my oil before I left but the engine was running quieter like it normally does after an oil change. I get a lot of chatter around 1,800 mile mark on the oil. I changed it this time at 3,000 miles, but it hadn't used much, much in those 3,000 miles, maybe it was a 1/4 lower. This motor is bullet proof.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-05-26 6:25 PM (#157721 - in reply to #154105)

Visionary

Because they changed the part number doesn't mean they changed the part. They might of gone to a different vendor.

If oil drains oil of lifters or chain tensioner think of this its getting new oil back in. Out with the old in with the new
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2014-05-27 9:42 AM (#157739 - in reply to #154105)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
blackpearl - as has been mentioned above, it's typical to have a loud lash until the oil gets splashed around a bit (5 sec is about normal). Try starting the bike in the upright position and see if it quiets down quicker. If so, be sure your oil level is topped off. Others here have experienced loud wrapping sound if their kickstand has worn or warped so that the bike leans over just enough where the oil level isn't high enough to be caught and splashed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™