You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Lowering
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Greywolfe64
Posted 2014-05-12 11:41 AM (#156184)
Subject: Vision Lowering

New user

I've got a 2013 Vision Tourer and I just spoke with my dealer and they told me that there are NO lowering kits for the Vision and that any kit installed would invalidate my warranty. So I called Victory and they said the same thing...

Didn't the Nes model come with the bike lowered and that was sold new off most Victory lots?

I know there are lowering kits from aftermarket places but not sure I want to throw away my warranty and I definitely don't want to do the work myself.

Thanks!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lstayner
Posted 2014-05-12 12:43 PM (#156185 - in reply to #156184)
Subject: Re: Vision Lowering

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I think the Ness Vision is lower due to the seat being cut lower. I don't know what you wear for shoes but you might try a taller heel boot to gain some height.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-05-12 2:21 PM (#156190 - in reply to #156184)

Iron Butt

The 8-Ball and Ness use the same length shock as the Tour but a much softer spring. The link pivot is drilled different which lowers the bike, shortens the stroke and necessitates the softer spring. The link itself is the same length as the Tour. The front has shorter and softer springs, different cartridge valving and no spacers. The end result is 1" lower at both ends. In addition to that the seat is also an inch lower. I did a bunch of research into this is why I happen to know :-) BTW, anybody who wants to improve the ride and primarily runs without the trunk and needs a new shock get the one for the Cross Country. It has a softer spring and improves the ride on the Vision. The stock Vision spring compensates for the trunk which makes it a bit stiff without it even with no air.

Marc
varyder
Posted 2014-05-12 2:44 PM (#156196 - in reply to #156184)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Marc, I almost got the CC shock but decided not too when I found a stock one from an '08. Good shock and stiffer than what my orginial was. I think I had a bad shock, or went bad early on. I've hit some holes that the old shock always bottomed out on. As far as lowering, I've given it thought, using all the right stuff, but didn't want to have to always watch because of it being lowered. To do it right, you have to change out the inside bags, else it will get you one day. I somehow understand why Victory back away from it. And remember, the change has to be relateed to the failure before the warranty is void for that issue. If you're engine blows up, that should be covered, even though you lowered it, unless you hit a bump that the stock height would have missed it, and you knock out your crank.
Monkeyman
Posted 2014-05-12 2:57 PM (#156199 - in reply to #156184)
Subject: RE: Vision Lowering

Iron Butt

Peru, IN

Greywolfe64 - 2014-05-12 12:41 PM I've got a 2013 Vision Tourer and I just spoke with my dealer and they told me that there are NO lowering kits for the Vision...

Of course there are lowering kits for the Vision.  HMD and Witchdoctors both carry them.  You can get 1", 1.5", 2" and 3".  They recommend the saddlebag insert for anything more than 1".  They also have 1" lowering kits for the front (which I think is just spacers and longer bolts for the handlebars...you just loosen up the triple tree bolts and slide the forks up an inch).

marcparnes
Posted 2014-05-12 4:02 PM (#156205 - in reply to #156196)

Iron Butt

varyder - 2014-05-12 12:44 PM
As far as lowering, I've given it thought, using all the right stuff, but didn't want to have to always watch because of it being lowered. To do it right, you have to change out the inside bags, else it will get you one day.

If you found a used 8-Ball or Ness shock which has the proper softer spring and just bought the 8-Ball/Ness pivot you'd get the lowered effect without any chance of damaging the bags. It would just be the factory lowered setup including reduced stroke. Its amazing how many of those shocks show up on eBay. I even played around with changing out the spring alone but forget it. They made it damn near impossible to get the spring out without sacrificing one of the components that you can't buy.

I forgot to mention that with the proper pivot the bike doesn't compress any lower than the Tour does. It just starts out 1" lower but ends up at the same place due to the shorten stroke so you don't have to worry about hitting stuff as a result of bumps.

Marc

Edited by marcparnes 2014-05-12 4:08 PM
gr8punkin
Posted 2014-05-12 4:24 PM (#156206 - in reply to #156184)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
The Magnuson Moss act of 1975 says if you modify your vehicle while it is covered under warranty, the parts modified and ancillary damaged may not be covered but it cannot void an entire warranty. So if you decide to lower your vision, and later in life your dealer says they won't fix your radio or some other unrelated component because you "voided" your warranty by lowering your bike. You can let them know in no uncertain terms that they are not allowed to do that by law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson?Moss_Warranty_Act
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-05-12 6:59 PM (#156213 - in reply to #156184)

Visionary

I think your wrong on the Ness shock being softer. You would bottom out more and they do tell you same air pressure for riders weight.
The shock would be shorter with a stiffer weight ratio.
If you look on the Vic's parts list they have the same part number for both links.
Inner saddle bags are the same and so is the kick stand

stock shock p/n 1542903
Ness shock p/n 1542904
link rod p/n 2877612 for both models
marcparnes
Posted 2014-05-12 7:06 PM (#156215 - in reply to #156213)

Iron Butt

johnnyvision - 2014-05-12 4:59 PM

I think your wrong on the Ness shock being softer. You would bottom out more and they do tell you same air pressure for riders weight.
The shock would be shorter with a stiffer weight ratio.
If you look on the Vic's parts list they have the same part number for both links.
Inner saddle bags are the same and so is the kick stand

stock shock p/n 1542903
Ness shock p/n 1542904
link rod p/n 2877612 for both models

Nope, you are wrong John. The spring is softer because the ratio and rise is faster. The shock is exactly the same length with exactly the same stroke. The link is the same as I said but the pivot is drilled differently which allows for the lowering and shorter stroke. If you look up the shocks you will see that the spring is rated 105 N/MM on the Tour and 50 N/MM on the lower version. Believe it.

Marc
el spanky
Posted 2014-05-12 7:28 PM (#156219 - in reply to #156184)

Cruiser

Victoria Tx, TX United States
Corpus Christi dealer lowered mine 1.5". Witchdoctor has the lower price. Mine I bought from dealer since they where installing it. JUST MAKE SURE you re adjust your headlamps to compensate for the rear lowering.
Greywolfe64
Posted 2014-05-16 10:54 AM (#156414 - in reply to #156184)

New user

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll just have to go to another dealer to get it installed. Because quite frankly the seat height is more of an issue that I thought it would be when I bought the bike. I sat on all 3 of the major touring bikes (Electraglide, Goldwing and Vision) and had the same issue on all three. The vision was the shortest of the three and I never figured it would be a major issue with the dealer to get installed.

Thanks gr8punkin I'll keep that in mind.

Greywolfe64
Posted 2014-05-16 12:19 PM (#156416 - in reply to #156184)

New user

So let me ask... how low can I go before having to cut out the saddlebags and replace the kickstand?
I've heard 1" is not a problem with either and that only the 2" and more do you have to cut out the saddlebags and replace the kickstand?
gr8punkin
Posted 2014-05-16 4:02 PM (#156420 - in reply to #156184)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
No problem Greywolfe, I lowered my dads bike by modifying the rear link and sliding the tubes up the triple trees. So approximately 1" rear and 3/4" front, I suspect he's seeing some rubbing in the saddle bag when the air in the shock has leaked out. His bike stands up a lot straighter on the stand now than it did before, which is a mixed blessing. I don't think it's as stable now, but it's much easier for him to pick up.
varyder
Posted 2014-05-16 5:09 PM (#156422 - in reply to #156184)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
with 26.5 inch seat height and narrow straddle, the Vision is more than adequate for my 30 inch inseam. A friend of mine had bought a new Harley and was waiting for them to lower it for him, he's got a 28 inch inseam. I told him to hop on my Vision and he was amazed his feet were planted on the ground. Made him think twice about Victory.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-05-16 6:32 PM (#156424 - in reply to #156420)

Visionary

gr8punkin - 2014-05-16 4:02 PM No problem Greywolfe, I lowered my dads bike by modifying the rear link and sliding the tubes up the triple trees. So approximately 1" rear and 3/4" front, I suspect he's seeing some rubbing in the saddle bag when the air in the shock has leaked out. His bike stands up a lot straighter on the stand now than it did before, which is a mixed blessing. I don't think it's as stable now, but it's much easier for him to pick up.

sooner or later it will tip over. A semi going by coudl cause it. get a shorter one

Greywolfe64
Posted 2014-05-19 11:02 AM (#156488 - in reply to #156184)

New user

varyder I have a 28" inseam and I'm on my tip toes when stopped. Don't get me wrong there was not another tourer (stock) that I could touch the ground on either.
gr8punkin
Posted 2014-05-19 4:58 PM (#156503 - in reply to #156424)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
It's remained standing when my six year ran into it at full steam, so I'm sure the gust from a passing semi won't knock it over. I talked to my dad about it when we first lowered the bike, and he wanted to have it stand a little straighter, since his left knee is so bad after injuring it as a kid (wrecked his Cushman eagle). He'd rather have to watch where he parks than strain his knee.
If it were my ride I would have changed that stand already, but I'm not patient enough to search out the flat parking spot.
Daveg53
Posted 2014-05-20 12:00 PM (#156535 - in reply to #156184)

Puddle Jumper

Vacaville, CA United States
I bought a 2013 Victory Vision new and the dealership lowered it 1". Also, all of their demos are lowered 1".

Daveg53
2013 Victory Vision Tour
Lloydz timing gear
Lloyds VFC III
Witchdoctor monster baffled pipes
WVHills
Posted 2016-03-16 12:35 PM (#179296 - in reply to #156199)

Puddle Jumper

Madison, WV
Reviving this for a question guys - I have an 08 comfort tour, if by chance I come across used shock/pivot/link and seat off of Ness/8Ball versions can I install both and lower my seat height by 2"? No trouble to saddle bags? Will these parts interchange? Eventually I will lower my bike and looking at options. I ride with a passenger almost all the time and not sure I want to run 60 lbs or higher air in shock to try not to crack saddle bags. Reading different posts people who just lowered 1" still cracked their bags. I am aware of the Ness bag inserts so another way looks to be to get a 2" lowering link and the bag inserts. Just curious about the Ness/8Ball option. Thanks for any input.
sjaskow
Posted 2016-03-16 12:40 PM (#179297 - in reply to #156184)

Puddle Jumper

Hastings, MN United States

Witchdoctors lists several kits for lowering the Vision on their site: http://www.hmd520.com/?s=vision+lowering&post_type=product . You might want to look there and talk to them about it.

johnnyvision
Posted 2016-03-16 6:19 PM (#179301 - in reply to #156184)

Visionary

from what I understand a 1/2 inch equals a inch. So I cut a inch out of my link. Si that means I lowered it 2 inches.
with just me on it I have bottomed out twice. Putting a crack in right hand inner bag. Covered it up with black silicone to keep water out.
I'm 230 and ride with 40 psi in shock.
Whatever you have for air in shock now add ten or fifteen pounds you'll see bike only goes up about a 1/4 inch.

start out with more than you think and take some out till you find a good spot. Rail Road tracks or crossing are the worst.
ask sell how long rod is. Stock is 12 inches
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Polaris-Victory-106-touring-Vision-8-Bal...
WVHills
Posted 2016-03-17 6:44 AM (#179303 - in reply to #156184)

Puddle Jumper

Madison, WV
I had saw that link on ebay, same guy has the 8Ball shock. That is what got me thinking about using those parts to maybe keep from needing to modify the saddle bags. HMD has this on their site for the 2-3" drop, "NOTE: Lack of improper air pressure in the shock, could result in damage to the link. We recommend that you keep 30-35 psi. (for one rider), and 60-65 (for two riders)" Even with modified bags you need to watch pressure I guess. Maybe I will just get a taller boot :P
jdr00ejr
Posted 2016-03-17 12:26 PM (#179307 - in reply to #156184)

Cruiser

Indianapolis, IN United States
For those that are looking at the Ness or 8Ball Seat to help lower for inseam issues - I have a 2012 Ness. The one complaint I have (really my wife has) is that I sit so much lower than she does. I think the seats are only scooped out for the "driver" not the passenger. She seems way above me when we ride which means she catches a ton more wind than I do. Just saying...
WVHills
Posted 2016-03-18 6:29 AM (#179316 - in reply to #156184)

Puddle Jumper

Madison, WV
money going other places at the moment, ha. If by chance a taller person wants the opposite I could trade my touring seat for a lowered one.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-03-18 6:06 PM (#179327 - in reply to #156184)

Visionary

wait till you bottom out and crack the inner bag. Don't spend money you don't need to
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™