You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Billet Vents
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2008-08-09 11:06 AM (#15657)
Subject: Billet Vents

Visionary

Memphis

I found these online and am thinking about mounting them instead of cutting away at the "swoosh" (great idea if I lived in the desert or Florida) or adding the Victory deflectors.  The face of the swoosh is 3" across and these vents are 2 1/2" diameter.  Once mounted, the chrome ring would probably take up the whole 3".  I'd probably have to cut away some of the black inlet to get clearance on the backside.  They'd mount about halfway up the swoosh in order to clear the master cylinder.  I could block them off in the wintertime.  I'm leaning towards the spoke design (called sillouette on the website) because it looks like a Ness wheel.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+%2D164780&D=%2D164780

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tom
Posted 2008-08-09 12:47 PM (#15661 - in reply to #15657)
Subject: Re: Billet Vents

Cruiser

those are real nice looking vents, i had thought about doing something like this but cut mine and i am very happy with the results. these vents will look great i just dont know if it will be enough air volume. tom
SongFan
Posted 2008-08-09 1:08 PM (#15665 - in reply to #15657)
Subject: RE: Billet Vents

Visionary

Memphis

tom,

Thanks for commenting.  I really like your mod, it's just too permanent of a solution for where I live.  I was really glad to see you could pull it off with just hand tools.  I know I would miss the cutaway piece in the dead of winter.

It seems like the heat is caused by a pocket of dead air right next to the engine.  (Perfect for 35 degree days.)  If I could just get some air flowing through there to break up that bubble it would make a big difference.  Since those vents swivel, even a small stream of air on the hottest spot would help.  I would get one for the left side to match but would cut almost all of the back part off because of clearance issues with the horn mount bracket and frame.  Making black plugs for the backside (complete with "Remove before flight" streamers) would be easy.

The cheaper black vent with the big slots would probably be the most practical but I'd have go for the silouette model for style points.

Edited by SongFan 2008-08-09 1:30 PM
tom
Posted 2008-08-09 3:19 PM (#15670 - in reply to #15657)

Cruiser

your vents look great and maybe it will be enough to break the air bubble, it will look very custom. im not worried about rain and cold since your leg is so far back behind all the front fairing the wind on my leg wont include rain since it is so far back. also im used to cross country on a harley with no fairing at all, just ride real fast ...been doing it for 40 years without i just dont like heat so its worth it for me. do your custom vents it sounds great ,send me photos when you get it done, when next week....tom
rdbudd
Posted 2008-08-10 5:13 PM (#15744 - in reply to #15670)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I've been thinking about installing some kind of vents also. They were features on some of the other, older touring bike designs. The older Yamaha Ventures had them and so did my old Kawasaki Voyager XII. They worked well on the Kawasaki. They were ducted from under the front of the fairing and could be opened or closed while riding. That old Kawasaki was a pretty darn good touring bike. Nowhere nearly as comfortable as my Vision, but it did have a lot of neat features and could run 12.90's with only a 1200cc engine, which is about what the GL1800's are capable of. Anyway,I'm wondering if there might be a way to adapt some sort of closable vents to the Vision.

Ronnie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™