You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

MY VISION AS A SPORTS TOURER
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2014-05-27 12:30 PM (#157744)
Subject: MY VISION AS A SPORTS TOURER

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
This past Sunday, I took the Vision out with some friends who were riding a Yamaha FZ09, Duc Monster 796, and Suzuki GXFA1250 (sports tourer). First thing they said was, want to go back home and get the Ninja? I said, I'm good, I'll just tag along in the rear. No, this isn't a story about how a Vision was able to keep up with a FZ09 or Monster in the twisties.
After about 30 miles of twisties with posted speed limits from 10 mph to 40 mph, they were surprised I wasn't THAT far behind. I just got caught behind some cars, and wasn't aggressive enough to past them on the turns. In better hands I'm sure the Vision would've done better.
However, I am impressed by the Vision's performance on the twisties. Yes, I did scraped the floor boards a few times, and learned to lift my foot up if it looks like it's going to scrape, had it revving at the higher rpms than usual. I only had trouble on an extreme sharp right turn (10 mph u-turn) going uphill, where the Vision died on me, but that's probably my error.
After about 30 miles, I was still ready to go, but the guys had to get off their bikes and stretch their legs a little bit. I also had water in my saddlebag, and was enjoying music on the ride and guess which bike attracted the most attention when we stopped...yup, the Vision. Even though one guy ask what kind of scooter it was and one guy was showing off his 'manually' adjusted windshield on his Goldwing, and was silenced after I showed him the tinted Ness flip windshield on the Vision going up and down by a push of a button.
When I got home after almost 60 miles of riding, all I could do was smile at my big red scooter!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2014-05-27 3:03 PM (#157745 - in reply to #157744)
Subject: RE: MY VISION AS A SPORTS TOURER

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I know exactly what you mean.

Ronnie
Monkeyman
Posted 2014-05-31 7:59 PM (#157876 - in reply to #157744)
Subject: Re: MY VISION AS A SPORTS TOURER

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
DON'T take your foot off the 'board in a corner. You only have 5 points of control; both hands, both feet and your butt. Technical corners on 2 wheels needs all 5 points. Assuming you don't plan to shift or brake (which should have been done before the corner), plant the ball of your feet on the rear part of the drivers floorboards. You get more control that way. I know a few Vision'ers who take some very tight corners at some stupid speeds (at the edge of tire traction) and that's how they ride. That riding position is one of the things that helps the crotch rocket riders maintain control when they're dragging their knees. The 106 powerband is wide enough that you shouldn't need to shift much. For 10-30 mph curves/straights, just keep it in 2nd gear and wind it out a bit.
Bashcars
Posted 2014-06-01 2:34 PM (#157889 - in reply to #157744)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
I agree that the VV is more of a sport tourer than an HD Electra Glide and can take the twisties pretty fun; however, coming from a Honda ST1300 (a true sport tourer) is not a sport tourer in the acceleration area (my VV is stock engine). The only thing that could beat me off the line at a stop light/sign was a true sport bike. With all that said, would don't miss the ST one bit. The VV is WAY more comfortable and more stable at low speeds (lower CG).
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2014-06-02 2:40 AM (#157904 - in reply to #157744)

Cruiser

Monkeyman, Thanks for introducing me to the other half of my floodboards. Great suggestion!!
rdbudd
Posted 2014-06-02 10:30 AM (#157923 - in reply to #157889)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Bashcars - 2014-06-01 2:34 PM

I agree that the VV is more of a sport tourer than an HD Electra Glide and can take the twisties pretty fun; however, coming from a Honda ST1300 (a true sport tourer) is not a sport tourer in the acceleration area (my VV is stock engine). The only thing that could beat me off the line at a stop light/sign was a true sport bike. With all that said, would don't miss the ST one bit. The VV is WAY more comfortable and more stable at low speeds (lower CG).

It still won't be a true sport bike, but just adding cams, top intake filter, fuel controller, and rev-extension to the Vision adds about 30 horsepower and extends your powerband 1500+ RPM. You'll miss the ST even less than you do now.

Ronnie
varyder
Posted 2014-06-02 11:42 AM (#157925 - in reply to #157744)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
The Vision is all the sport tourer, touring, cruiser, bagger, scooter, or crotch rocket I need...
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2014-06-02 1:20 PM (#157927 - in reply to #157925)

Cruiser

varyder - 2014-06-02 9:42 AM

The Vision is all the sport tourer, touring, cruiser, bagger, scooter, or crotch rocket I need...

I agree with Varyder, but sometimes it's nice to ride something a FEW hundred pounds lighter.
varyder
Posted 2014-06-02 2:17 PM (#157930 - in reply to #157744)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I've might have racked up a few miles in the passed 7 years, but I've never taken on motorcycle learning course, only the general safety course by the MSF. I was rather a novice when I started riding again, having come off a 750cc some 17 years earlier to a 1984 GL1200 Gold Wing. I felt really clumsy on that bike and even clumsier on the GL1500. When I first sat on the Vision I felt it to be a behemoth and tried to get the attention of the guy from the dealer I would follow on the test ride before we left the lot. I knew for sure I would end up dumping the Vision because of the size and weight. But some thing incredible happened. As soon as the bike began to roll, the hugeness was traded out for nimbleness. I was amazed at this and even felt like I had been riding for the decades I had missed. I'm convinced I need no other bike, but would like to have some little scooter like the Gunner just to eat the wind occassionally.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-06-02 2:27 PM (#157931 - in reply to #157930)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
varyder - 2014-06-02 2:17 PM
I'm convinced I need no other bike, but would like to have some little scooter like the Gunner just to eat the wind occassionally.

That's why I've kept a Victory Sport Cruiser for the past 14 years---if you can consider a 720 pound bike (gassed up and ready) "little". It comes out for the shorter rides. The Vision gets the "going somewhere" duty.

Ronnie

varyder
Posted 2014-06-02 2:28 PM (#157932 - in reply to #157744)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
anything without a windjam...
Bashcars
Posted 2014-06-04 12:06 PM (#158006 - in reply to #157923)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
rdbudd - 2014-06-02 10:30 AM

Bashcars - 2014-06-01 2:34 PM

It still won't be a true sport bike, but just adding cams, top intake filter, fuel controller, and rev-extension to the Vision adds about 30 horsepower and extends your powerband 1500+ RPM. You'll miss the ST even less than you do now.

Ronnie

True, but my VV is still under warranty. I am not doing anything to the engine until the warranty expires.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-06-04 2:27 PM (#158013 - in reply to #157744)

Glendale, AZ United States
I love my VV and no offense to anyone, but in my opinion to say it's a sports tourer is stretching it a bit and that's coming from a sports touring background and jumping the BMW coop for the time being anyway. I love the VV, but for different reasons. I think with the VV it's all about the ride, comfort, and utility vs with a sports tourer where it's about the destination and how quickly one can get there

In my opinion you can go "hog wild" with performance modifications on the VV, but it just boils down to physics, Vtwin powerplant, and weight. The VV may keep up with a sports tourer rolling out of the gate from a dead stop for a brief time, but the Vtwin will only take you so far, especially on the interstate at speed where that's just the nature of the beast with a Vtwin in general. With my LT, I geared down one, woke the motor up, which was 5k RPMs, gave her half throttle and off to the races vs Vtwin, which is more difficult to do in general and lacks the serious interstate passing power. I personally know what I got, which is a pack camel and I bought it for that purpose in mind and in the stock configuration, which suits me fine. Safe riding, Vlad.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-06-04 5:40 PM (#158020 - in reply to #158013)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Vladezip - 2014-06-04 2:27 PM

I love my VV and no offense to anyone, but in my opinion to say it's a sports tourer is stretching it a bit and that's coming from a sports touring background and jumping the BMW coop for the time being anyway. I love the VV, but for different reasons. I think with the VV it's all about the ride, comfort, and utility vs with a sports tourer where it's about the destination and how quickly one can get there

In my opinion you can go "hog wild" with performance modifications on the VV, but it just boils down to physics, Vtwin powerplant, and weight. The VV may keep up with a sports tourer rolling out of the gate from a dead stop for a brief time, but the Vtwin will only take you so far, especially on the interstate at speed where that's just the nature of the beast with a Vtwin in general. With my LT, I geared down one, woke the motor up, which was 5k RPMs, gave her half throttle and off to the races vs Vtwin, which is more difficult to do in general and lacks the serious interstate passing power. I personally know what I got, which is a pack camel and I bought it for that purpose in mind and in the stock configuration, which suits me fine. Safe riding, Vlad.

You make some good points, and no offense taken. I've never claimed that the Vision is a "true sports bike" either, but that you can do things with it that will make you not miss the "true sport tourer". Adding 30 horsepower helps a lot, and that is hardly "going hog wild" with modifications, and is in fact about what you get with a simple cam change and intake and fuel control and nothing else. My bike sounds, looks, and acts completely stock--until I open the throttle up, at which time it acts like a very good running 1800 Goldwing--quiet, fast, and reliable. They get a lot closer to the "true sport tourer" than most "true sport tourer riders" want to admit, especially when there is real touring involved. You can do more than I did for even more power.

Case in point. A couple of years ago, while on a trip out West, we had a large storm chasing us across Eastern Colorado. "We" being a Goldwing, a Vision, and an FJR1300. We were on a literally deserted stretch of road that measured 70 miles between towns. There were no powerlines in evidence and only an occasional ranch in the distance. We met a total of three vehicles in the entire 70 miles. We covered that 70 miles at 95 to 100 MPH, slowing down only when we met one of those three vehicles, with the cruise controls locked on the Goldwing and Vision the rest of the time. We (the GW and Vision riders) were downright comfortable and having a great time, discussing the scenery on our CB radios as the miles quickly flew by. The FJR rider wanted to stop at the next town to stretch and get the kinks out his neck (he had a J&M CB). "We" didn't want or need to, but we did to let the poor FJR sport touring rider ease his pain, and get a drink. Those things really throw the heat onto the rider, worse than either the GW or the Vision. We've swapped.

My "interstate passing power" is stronger than the 1800 Goldwing's, and most folks find that to be ample passing power. The FJR is faster, of course, in all straight line endeavors, but not much , if any, in the mountains and curves, when ridden at sane speeds. We learned a long time ago that taking insane risks 1000 miles from home is not very smart.

It was a 2500 mile trip, and the FJR got traded for a GL1800 Goldwing after we got back, and he had been riding solo while the GW and Vision were two-up. He is 20 years younger than me also.

Victory Visions and Honda Goldwings are all the three of us need for a "sport tourer" these days. BTW, our history is as crotch rocket riders and motorcycle drag racers. We aren't afraid to play, and still do from time to time. We just prefer to do it in comfort now, with our spouses and all their "necessities" stowed on the bikes for 10 to 14 day trips.

BTW, 100 MPH in 6th gear on a Vision is only 3800 RPM which is right where the extra power of the cams comes in. There is a lot of power left in reserve. It's 4300 RPM on the Goldwings, well below their redline.

How fast do you tour?

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-06-04 5:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™