You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Garmin 660 Help Needed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

jkfrazier
Posted 2014-05-27 4:44 PM (#157746)
Subject: Garmin 660 Help Needed

Puddle Jumper

Fort Defiance, VA United States

I have a 2010 VV Tour that I have been using a Garmin 660 with for over three years.  It is installed using the Victory OEM GPS audio integration harness.  

I've been using this without issue for over 3 years.  I've always noticed when i touch the Garmin screen, any music playing is temporarly muted as it should be.

Here's the problem that has only recently started occurring sporadically.  While riding the bike using any audio source, such as ipod, or the onboard radio, the music will mute as though I have touched the GPS screen whether i am routing or not.  Simply having the garmin turned on seems to cause this.  Sometimes it gets so bad, that the music isn't even heard because their is apparently continuous interruption coming from somewhere.  

If i turn the gps off, the problem goes away.  Therefore, in my mind, the problem can only be one of several things. Either the gps, the audio integration harness, some other wiring on the bike or the onboard radio itself.  What i've decided to do is have garmin replace the GPS and I'm going to replace the Vic audio integration harness.  If the problem persists, then if can only be a bad wire somewhere on the bike or the onboard radio.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm heading on a trip in 2 1/2 weeks and i need this thing to work.

Hmm, just thought of one more potential cause.  Perhaps, i need the Vic software flashed.  That install hasn't been done for a couple of years.  Maybe there is a problem with old software on the Vic and newer software on the gps???

Thanks,

Joel

Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2014-05-30 9:53 AM (#157831 - in reply to #157746)
Subject: Re: Garmin 660 Help Needed

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Joel, let us know how it turns out, flashing most likely take care of the problem. I don't think it is a wire, more of a sensitivity issue, which try your options and see if there is a way to turn-off the cut-out. Or if you know someone with a like system, try that before going any drastic route.
Iron_Horse
Posted 2014-05-31 10:23 AM (#157854 - in reply to #157746)

Puddle Jumper

Goodyear, AZ United States
When I initially installed my 665 and paired it with the scala q3 I got the same problem, sort of. After a chat with Scala Support Tech, it was my microphone sensitivity setting on the Intercom side. Essentially, after using the intercom, it wouldn't shut off due to ambient wind noise which kept the Zumo muted due to the over ride function. You didn't mention any headset involved but that's what caused my muting.
jkfrazier
Posted 2014-06-02 7:51 AM (#157916 - in reply to #157746)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks for the help. I'm fairly confident the GPS failed. Probably the touch screen was going bad. Garmin sent me a refurb 660 and I used it for 6 hours or so this past Saturday with no problems. Since the problem was sporadic, I won't be totally confident until I get some more time behind me.

Thanks,
Joel
Turk
Posted 2014-06-25 7:31 AM (#160668 - in reply to #157746)
Subject: RE: Garmin 660 Help Needed

Iron Butt

jkfrazier - 2014-05-27 4:44 PM

I have a 2010 VV Tour that I have been using a Garmin 660 with for over three years. ?It is installed using the Victory OEM GPS audio integration harness. ?

I've been using this without issue for over 3 years. ?I've always noticed when i touch the Garmin screen, any music playing is temporarly muted as it should be.

Here's the problem that has only recently started occurring sporadically. ?While riding the bike using any audio source, such as ipod, or the onboard radio, the music will mute as though I have touched the GPS screen whether i am routing or not. ?Simply having the garmin turned on seems to cause this. ?Sometimes it gets so bad, that the music isn't even heard because their is apparently continuous interruption coming from somewhere. ?

If i turn the gps off, the problem goes away. ?Therefore, in my mind, the problem can only be one of several things. Either the gps, the audio integration harness, some other wiring on the bike or the onboard radio itself. ?What i've decided to do is have garmin replace the GPS and I'm going to replace the Vic audio integration harness. ?If the problem persists, then if can only be a bad wire somewhere on the bike or the onboard radio.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm heading on a trip in 2 1/2 weeks and i need this thing to work.

Hmm, just thought of one more potential cause. ?Perhaps, i need the Vic software flashed. ?That install hasn't been done for a couple of years. ?Maybe there is a problem with old software on the Vic and newer software on the gps???

Thanks,

Joel

My 665 does has always done this, and I do keep it updated periodically. I've just learned to live with it. When it mutes the radio (XM), I simply turn off the GPS. Generally, the next time I start the bike, all is well again for a while.

jkfrazier
Posted 2014-06-25 9:31 AM (#160675 - in reply to #157746)

Puddle Jumper

Mine was the gps. The touch screen was apparently failing. Garmin replaced it with a refurb unit and I've had no issues since.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™