You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

front end wobble
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

taz456
Posted 2014-05-30 1:29 PM (#157835)
Subject: front end wobble

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
I noticed today that in first or second gear as I was getting up to speed from a stop that I could feel a wobble. I thought it was from the front wheel at first. I pulled over and visually checked the wheel and brakes all looked good. I physically checked the fenders front and rear. All is as it should be. Then I started to try to make it wobble and I am not so sure that it is coming from the front wheel area. I made my way to work and I have to let it cool down. The wobble was noticed the most around 3000 rpm and would fade away as speed increased.

I know that I am not giving any one alot of information here but where should I begin to look when I can. It is due for an inspection anyway so I might just have to get it in the shop. It will be dark by my lunch time so this will probably have to wait until after the weekend as the family has plans already.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2014-05-30 1:37 PM (#157836 - in reply to #157835)
Subject: Re: front end wobble

Visionary

Brighton, TN
check front wheel for cupping or uneven wear. If the dunlop is on there and the highway stripe down the middle can easily be seen, then it will cause a wobbling feeling, especially slowing down if you let go of the handlebars, they will start to vibrate A LOT.

The other item might be your steering stem bearings, lube or replace, but that is more of a notchy feeling and also check air pressure, that will do it also.
pollolittle
Posted 2014-05-30 1:37 PM (#157837 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
check front wheel for cupping or uneven wear. If the dunlop is on there and the highway stripe down the middle can easily be seen, then it will cause a wobbling feeling, especially slowing down if you let go of the handlebars, they will start to vibrate A LOT.

The other item might be your steering stem bearings, lube or replace, but that is more of a notchy feeling and also check air pressure, that will do it also.
cw1115
Posted 2014-05-30 4:09 PM (#157840 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
+1 on the tire. Even if they look good I get that after about 8000 miles. Normally don't feel it, but it's very bad if you take hands off the bars.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-05-30 5:38 PM (#157841 - in reply to #157840)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Check BOTH tires, and check them well, preferably with the bike on a lift.

I had a rear Dunlop E3 begin to delaminate on a Goldwing one time that caused a similar problem. The tire was separating, and still had a lot of tread. Spinning it with the bike on the centerstand revealed the high spot.

Ronnie
varyder
Posted 2014-05-30 5:42 PM (#157842 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Check to see if your rear axle is tight
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-05-30 5:58 PM (#157843 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Make sure you didn't lose your wheel weights, if you use them.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-05-30 6:49 PM (#157844 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

cause the out side of the tire feels good does not mean the inside of tire is not coming apart
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-05-30 8:02 PM (#157845 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble
V92SC
Posted 2014-05-31 6:45 AM (#157850 - in reply to #157835)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Check the wheel bearings especially if you have moderately high mileage on your bike. The rear are notorious for what I think is premature failure.
varyder
Posted 2014-05-31 10:21 AM (#157852 - in reply to #157850)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I can't disagree,  but I'm on my original bearings at 158,900 miles. 

varyder
Posted 2014-05-31 10:21 AM (#157853 - in reply to #157850)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Double post joke.

Elderly couple was enjoying coffee one morning.  The wife says,  "I want you to marry again if something happens to me"  the man is a little frustrated with the comment but says okay.  She then says,  "will you keep the house?" To which he acknowledges,  "sure." She says,  "will you keep the bed?"  Again he acknowledges, "sure".  She then says,  "but I don't want her to have my golf clubs!"  To which he replies,  "she's left handed."

Edited by varyder 2014-05-31 10:32 AM
taz456
Posted 2014-06-04 12:01 PM (#158004 - in reply to #157835)

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
Turned out to be the rear wheel. Only two years old, 20 months old and only about 2500 miles on it, but totally shot. Low miles was due to my sporting the new Hammer for most of the summer and then a surgery to repair a torn bicep. After spending so much to put the dunlop elite 3 back on, I'm feeling ripped off. To make matters worse, I took it to a Victory shop and they only had the same tire in stock. So I was not in any position to shop around or get ideas about buying a different tire. I am however, surprised about how the rear tire being shot made the front end wobble like that, or at least that is were I felt it the most. When I was checking things out I was looking a the tires from the sides for something loose. I didn't really ever look at the tire because I knew that it was newer. I check my pressure at least monthly if not more often. This thing looked like it had over 10000 miles on it.

Just goes to show you that you need to start eliminating the most obvious problems before just writing those ones off as not being the culprit.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-06-04 6:00 PM (#158021 - in reply to #158004)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Live and learn. That's why I suggested checking BOTH the tires with the bike on a lift. As I said, I had the same problems with a Dunlop E3 on a Goldwing, that is, a bad rear tire made the front wobble, or feel like it was the front. That tire was also knee deep in tread and not that old.

Ronnie
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-06-04 6:19 PM (#158023 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

if you ever talk to sport bike racers they will tell you front end wobble comes from the rear. Or if you go to races watch and you will see
Tom13
Posted 2014-06-05 9:43 AM (#158059 - in reply to #157835)

Cruiser

I had a friend telling me just last night he developed a high speed wobble on his bike SOB. After doing some checking and talking to the tire manufacturer he found out even improper tire pressure can cause a wobble. He went high side of air adjustment in both of his tire and it went away. Tire tech told him that cycle tires can actually develop vibrations from becoming un-harmonically balanced during certain speed situations. Amazing what the life blood of a bike can do if you don't give it attention checking it all the time!!
varyder
Posted 2014-06-05 10:29 AM (#158062 - in reply to #157835)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I think the thing in troubleshooting help from outside sources that the requester has done the preliminaries of basic maintenance. I normally don't check my tire pressure that often because if the pressure gets to 38 psi, it feels loose. So, when it feels loose, I check the tire pressure. Once, it was feeling loose, and I checked the pressure and it was good. I rode it a few more days and it still felt a little loose. I gave it the once over and really didn't see anything, but it was just a visual. I happened to upshift without using the clutch and the bike really squireled on me so I checked the rear axle. It was not tighted all the way and had been like that for about 2 weeks. Duh.

I lost air in the rear tire and only had 20psi (E3). It felt stable on the interstate, but on the off ramp is was a little crazy. I thought that was pretty good considering.
Thunder
Posted 2015-04-19 10:32 PM (#171985 - in reply to #157835)
Subject: RE: front end wobble

New user

I've ridden for 34 years and never been in an accident. July of last year I was in my first. I owned a Victory Hammer eight ball fully loaded. It was only a few months old. The witness said my rear tire started to wobble as I was doing 25 in a 30mph zone. He said I cut from the left lane to the right lane and then shoulder where the bike drove over me (violent). The witness stood by my body (I was unconscious ) until the ambulance arrived. The engineers on my bike said my tires were inflated properly and everything was tight. I've never heard of the terms Wobble or tank slap. I'm totally disabled and it took me along time to just type this short. Please everyone , Ride safe. remember Poker runs are for you to show off safety.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™