You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Top filter noise solution?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

rickwh
Posted 2014-06-03 9:22 PM (#157982)
Subject: Top filter noise solution?

Puddle Jumper

Wasn't sure if I should post this in cheap solutoins or performance. My '13 VV has Lloydz cams, intakes, timing wheel, and top filter with stock exhaust and dynoed 107hp 108 lbs. I wanted it to run good but be quiet. But the top filter noise bugged me. I even put an OD pulley on it to change the speed where the noise was the worst.

Last weekend I took some foam and duct tape and put it on top of the top filter and shuished the console down on it. Took it for a ride (half helmet and no ear plugs) and the intake noise is almost as quiet as stock but with a hint of high performance sound. Didn't notice any decrease in power. but now I hear a high-pitch clicking. Maybe cam chains.

PS. The extra strips of tape on the sides are just so you see black instead of foam between the console and the tank covers. I figured with all the wires over the top filter it shouldn't get sucked in.

(phone 007.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments phone 007.jpg (52KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-06-04 6:52 AM (#157988 - in reply to #157982)
Subject: Re: Top filter noise solution?

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
If you put it on top of the opening of the top filter, aren't you essentially restricting air flow? And or defeating the point of the top filter.?
okie vision
Posted 2014-06-04 7:07 AM (#157989 - in reply to #157982)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Removed mine because of the cruise range noise. Couldn't be happier
willtill
Posted 2014-06-04 7:53 AM (#157993 - in reply to #157982)

Visionary

Central Maryland
I would think you are restricting air flow as well; with that foam modification. What's the point of installing the top filter; if you're going to lessen the airflow to it.

ljurgens
Posted 2014-06-04 8:06 AM (#157994 - in reply to #157982)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Let me play devil's advocate here.

The combination of the front and top filters flows a LOT more air than just the front filter right?
If you don't like the noise generated by the top filter, removing it completely would eliminate all that extra flow from the top filter.

So, adding a layer of foam will reduce the air flow by some amount, but some car filters have a ring of foam around them!
If the reduction in airflow isn't drastic, and OP said he doesn't feel any difference in how the bike runs, and the reduction in noise is significant enough that he keeps the top filter and it's extra flow, then I think the OP has a good solution for him and maybe others.

The only way to know would be to test it and somehow measure the flow. Seat of the pants is probably the only way to do that without putting it on a dyno...
rdbudd
Posted 2014-06-04 11:38 AM (#158000 - in reply to #157994)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
ljurgens - 2014-06-04 8:06 AM

Let me play devil's advocate here.

The combination of the front and top filters flows a LOT more air than just the front filter right?
If you don't like the noise generated by the top filter, removing it completely would eliminate all that extra flow from the top filter.

So, adding a layer of foam will reduce the air flow by some amount, but some car filters have a ring of foam around them!
If the reduction in airflow isn't drastic, and OP said he doesn't feel any difference in how the bike runs, and the reduction in noise is significant enough that he keeps the top filter and it's extra flow, then I think the OP has a good solution for him and maybe others.

The only way to know would be to test it and somehow measure the flow. Seat of the pants is probably the only way to do that without putting it on a dyno...

You could test the theory by running it on a dragstrip with and without, or even easier, by running against a known factor, such as a buddies bike. A 4th gear run from about 60 MPH (3400 RPM) up to 100 MPH (5600 RPM) against another Vision would tell you whether the airflow is being restricted with the foam in place, or not.

Ronnie
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-06-04 6:47 PM (#158026 - in reply to #157982)

Visionary

If hes happy and didn't feel any power loss. If what maybe 1 or 2 horse. Good for him for trying
willtill
Posted 2014-06-05 7:36 AM (#158050 - in reply to #157982)

Visionary

Central Maryland
But... but....

My God Man! Don't you know that the very sound of air rushing into the intake; is the sound; the sound of the very essence of life itself!

Edited by willtill 2014-06-05 7:37 AM
rickwh
Posted 2014-06-05 3:29 PM (#158083 - in reply to #157982)

Puddle Jumper

There is still a different sound than stock. Like I said, a hint of performance, but without the popping.

A couple more points. I also have the Victory performance front filter, and I scientifically blew through the foam and didn't notice any restriction (of course 106 incihes @ 6k may flow more than my test). I'm not racing so trading a few HP for a more pleasent ride makes sense to me (same logic I used sticking with stock mufflers). It's still runs hard, and the foam was way cheaper than the other option I was considering to quiet it down . . . a supercharger.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™