You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Oil Change Interval
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

MangoMike
Posted 2008-08-15 10:46 PM (#16230)
Subject: Oil Change Interval

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
I've seen a few posts which mention stretching the interval to 3000-3500 on Amsoil. I just did my 2500 mile oil change today and put Amsoil 20w50 in, and changed the filter to a K&B permanent filter.

I don't mind the 2500 interval while I'm home, but on long trips (like riding the 4 Corners Tour) I really need to stretch this out, a lot.

Has anyone gone significantly over the 2500, like maybe 5000, on a trip?

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2008-08-15 11:03 PM (#16232 - in reply to #16230)
Subject: RE: Oil Change Interval

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I haven't yet on my new Vision. However, I have been using 5000 mile oil change intervals on my 2000 SC, along with Wix filters, for the past 7 years, using Amsoil 20W50. I expect to do the same on my Vision after the warranty expires.

Ronnie
buddahead
Posted 2008-08-16 4:03 PM (#16248 - in reply to #16230)
Subject: Re: Oil Change Interval

Cruiser

SF Bay Area
Seems to me there are several factors... the type of riding and the quality of the oil, and the ambient temperature. Freeway riding is easier on the oil than short trips (stop-and-go), full synthetic is probably better than a blend or regular dinosaur oil, and riding in 80 degree temps is easier on your oil than riding in 115 degree temps. If I put full syn in my Vision, and toured, I would go 5k as long as the oil level was correct... but that is me. "Results may vary", as they say.

Edited by buddahead 2008-08-16 4:03 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-16 7:16 PM (#16259 - in reply to #16230)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i used to get my oil tested back when i had my vulcan 2000. i was up to 7500 miles while using Amsoil motorcycle oil and a k&n oil filter. I had the oil tested by blackstone labs to determine how safe it was to extend it. I think the OCI on the vision is silly low. How can a touring bike have a 2500 oci? LOL
Banjo
Posted 2008-08-17 7:56 PM (#16316 - in reply to #16230)

Tourer

5000 miles is about right for a good syn oil.
Teach
Posted 2008-08-24 10:33 AM (#16797 - in reply to #16230)

Visionary

Mike, I just thought I'd post a reply to your question since I have been searching for a longer range alternative as well.
The Victory semi syn definitely needs changed at 2500 maybe sooner depending on your ride habits.
Mobil1 full syn didn't hold up any better and needed changed at 2500. I pushed it a wee bit further to 3000 but shifting was noticably notchy.
Amsoil 20W50 for the past two oil changes doesn't hold up much better (actually changing today). At 3000 miles the bike tranny has gotten notchy on shifts. This is particularly true as heat increases, say for instance in town riding with 85 degree ambient temps. Cooler ambient temps give you the "false" impression the bike could go much longer without an oil change.

Ok so bottom line: I did a 4000 mile trip without changing oil. I wasn't concerned about any parts failures since the bike was not giving me any indication it NEEDED the oil replaced. So could you go 5k if on the road? Yes you could, but I would play it by ear. If the bike is giving you any indications that it needs replaced then I'd do it.
Oh and the oil change today is coming at 3300 miles with Amsoil 20W50 and the Bosch 3323 filter. I'm sticking with the Amsoil because of how clean the motor seems to run on it. YOU might prefer something else less pricy or more to your preference. I've been a staunch ANTI-Amsoil guy for some time having not seen ANY benefit to the higher price, but that has changed with the Vision.
spursmvp
Posted 2008-08-24 6:30 PM (#16827 - in reply to #16230)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
THe only thing I'd be careful of is if your warranty is still in place. I'd hate to have Victory tell me 'sorry, but...' your warranty is voided because you did not follow the suggested oil change intervals.

Just my 2 cents.
Teach
Posted 2008-08-24 7:18 PM (#16835 - in reply to #16230)

Visionary

spursmvp, I believe you get into a whole new issue with warranty refusal. Now if you siezed up a motor due to lack of lubrication that could be proven then perhaps Victory would deny a claim. This said it has been my experience that warranty maintenance intervals are expressed recommendations and not some golden rule. For example a manual may say the forks need serviced every 15k. Great but what if you only ride the bike 2k a year.... do you not change the fork fluid for 7.5 years or do you service it every 2nd or 3rd year?
I always ran my HD's in excess of recommendation (back in the day when Dino oil was common but I ran synthetic. Harley recommended every 2500, but I ran mine 5k. I never had a warranty refusal nor a technician suggest it would void the warranty.

Edited by Teach 2008-08-24 7:19 PM
spursmvp
Posted 2008-08-24 8:49 PM (#16850 - in reply to #16835)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
Good to know.

Don't get me wrong....I normally run over the suggested intervals in most of my vehicles, but I try to avoid doubling them...

I figure to each his own
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-08-24 8:51 PM (#16852 - in reply to #16230)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Even though i know for a Fact that amsoil can go 2-3 times longer than the Visions OCI, i will still follow their recommendations. (warranty). Actually as i write this im about to get all my oil change receipts together. (oil and filters) and put them into a folder. When i read my warranty, in the fine print it says they want PROOF of maintenance if or when a claim is filed. They also said a warranty can not be transfered unless proof is provided. I doubt we will even need to prove we changed our oil, but we all know how that goes....
Teach
Posted 2008-08-24 10:18 PM (#16864 - in reply to #16230)

Visionary

Arkainzeye, whatever makes you comfy bud. I always keep my receipts, document the date, oil type, filter #, and seal in my owners manual, which is kept in a big plastic envelop. In the 40+ years I've been riding and some 25 or more new bikes, I have never had a dealer or manufacturer ask me for that info. Oh and if you read a bit further in the manual it says the items you mentioned alone are not grounds for warranty refusal.
My advice would be to follow the manufacturers recommendations for the most part. However if you are running a quality long term use synthetic like Amsoil and you are on the road for 5k, you are good and don't need to concern yourself with oil changes on the road. The 2500 mile change protects Victory.
Now someone might argue that running for 5k would destroy the oils ability to protect based on molecule sheer... Well to them I would simply say the Harley Primary mashes oil molecules much worse than the Vision will and that change interval has been extended to 10k, engine oil to 5k... so long as they are synthetic's being run. Again YOU need to do whats comfy for you, but I feel quite safe extending to 5k for a road trip.... unless the bike tells me otherwise.
For the record MOST bikes will tell you when its time to change oils. For me I notice the gear engagement becomes stiffer and/or harsher. If this is experienced I don't care if I have 500 or 5k miles on the oil, it gets replaced.
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-08-25 8:06 AM (#16879 - in reply to #16230)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
I recently returned from a 5400 mile trip from Colorado to Washington state, BC, Montana, and Wyoming. This was ALL done on the same oil (no change en route), using Amsoil oil and oil filter, We were riding two up, had temp extremes from 43 degrees F to almost 100 degrees F, and had both saddlebags and rear trunk fully loaded. Upon our return, I changed the oil/filter, and was amazed at how clean the oil still was. We generally avoided freeways where practical, and probably rode less than 20% of out trip on the freeway.

I noticed NO difference in shifting during the trip, but the trans noise in 4th and to a lesser degree 6th gear was annoying. Not one drop of oil was used on this trip. I now have 11300 on the bike.
MangoMike
Posted 2008-08-25 11:14 AM (#16898 - in reply to #16230)

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
Thanks for the great responses. I am using Amsoil and will comply with the 2500 OCI. I was only wondering about special occasions like long trips. I have my answer and appreciate the input.

Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™