You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

ruttrow
Posted 2008-08-28 6:53 PM (#17130)
Subject: Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire

Cruiser

Illinois
When I had my 500 mile service done I also had the S1/L2 exhaust installed. On the ride home from the dealer bike died out @ a stop, about 5 miles later iPod stop working. First time for both of those issues. Coincidence? Then I get home and notice a dent in one of the mufflers, did not see it at the dealer but then again it was parked in the shade and on the sidestand side. You could see that it was not hit by anything and came out of the box that way. Called dealer same day and he said they would replace it. Told him about the stall & ipod and he said he would call me back, 3 days later I called back and they did not have an answer for the stall/ipod but that they ordered the exhaust and would call me when it came in, that was 4 weeks ago. So I call today and the exhaust is in and that anytime you change exhaust it pops. Huh?? Victory is working on the iPod fix but they do not have it yet. I explained to him that in all my years of riding HD's I never had popping so long as the map was correct, to say popping is normal is BS, I told him at times it backfired to the tune of a shotgun in your ear. He then called me back and said they have a fix for the backfire/stall. At the front of the motor there is a black plastic cover, underneath it there is a red rubber boot with 2 nuts, they have had 3 Visions with the same problem I'm describing due to a loose nut, I go out to the garage and look both nuts are tight.

Anyone install S1/L2 that had popping and then was able to get dealer to resolve?
Am I the only one to think that it has something to do with the map?
Should my selling dealer be able to tell me if I have the latest radio update?
Should my selling dealer be able to tell me if the ignition switch has been resolved if it was needed?
Sorry for the rant, I'm used to getting exceptional service from my 2 local HD dealers which doesn't do me much good now. I really do like the bike and I just want it right.

Thanks in Advance,
Mike

Edited by ruttrow 2008-08-28 6:58 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-08-28 7:46 PM (#17133 - in reply to #17130)
Subject: Re: Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Did you read Lloyd's latest blog on popping?
dwhite28
Posted 2008-08-28 9:39 PM (#17142 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
I have the S1L2 exhaust and have only had minor popping when i get heavy handed and let off. I might get a single pop. Have had no backfiring. This map was installed back around Feb or Mar of 08. A dealer should be able to take your bike and after it is mapped, it may still need to have the TPS adjusted through the digital wrench software. Sometimes just a single digit adjustment will make all the difference. About the ignition switch, there is a list of VIN's of the bikes affected. The dealer should have no problems showing that to you. One thing that should be remembered about the maps, when people have a custom map done for their bike, it is usualy done near the area they ride most. Ambient, humidity, barometric pressure can be allowed for at the time of tuning. The thing with factory maps for any bike, is it has to meet a general mixture of riding styles. From sea-level to riding in the rockies and from agressive riders to sunday go to meetin drivers. That is a pretty damn broad range to meet. So they are generic maps for a bike that they have no idea where it will be ridden at or by whom. The Loydz stuff is great since you can tailor it a little for where you happen to live and your driving style.

Edited by dwhite28 2008-08-28 9:41 PM
ruttrow
Posted 2008-08-29 7:53 AM (#17173 - in reply to #17130)

Cruiser

Illinois
JAM, yes I did Thanks. David, I agree somewhat with what you are saying about the map, I guess that I'm just confused that if HD can do it why can't Victory? Not bashing Victory, again just confused. Whenever I had my HD dealer do a stage 1, stage 2 map on whatever I was riding I never had the popping/backfiring I have now. No dyno tuning involved. On my last HD I bought a power commander with a pre installed map for my application and also never had an issue. Again no dyno tuning involved. I'm not talking about a little burble, what I have is a major bang. Thanks again for the info. I will see what my dealer can do. Worse case is go back to stock.

Mike

Edited by ruttrow 2008-08-29 7:54 AM
dwhite28
Posted 2008-08-29 8:23 AM (#17177 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

You should not have a bang. That is absolutley correct. The dealer should probably take your bike and make sure something else is not out of adjustment that is effecting the map. I have just started learning to tune the Victory's over the last year. The guy i work with does a pretty good job and i am just now starting to pick up on the little nuances and minor tweaks that effect to make it right. Same thing as with older carb operated bikes. Does not take much to effect the fuel/air ratio and then trying to keep that relatively smooth through the RPM range can be tedious if there is something else out of whack. Like i said, i have the S1L2 exhaust and all i have ever had is a little burble now and then if i accelerate really hard and then just drop the throttle back closed. Good luck on getting with your dealer and getting your bike properly set up. I hate to say it, but you may need to call around to your next closest dealer and see if they can help.
raynman
Posted 2008-08-29 9:26 AM (#17180 - in reply to #17173)

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
ruttrow - 2008-08-29 6:53 AM

JAM, yes I did Thanks. David, I agree somewhat with what you are saying about the map, I guess that I'm just confused that if HD can do it why can't Victory? Not bashing Victory, again just confused. Whenever I had my HD dealer do a stage 1, stage 2 map on whatever I was riding I never had the popping/backfiring I have now. No dyno tuning involved. On my last HD I bought a power commander with a pre installed map for my application and also never had an issue. Again no dyno tuning involved. I'm not talking about a little burble, what I have is a major bang. Thanks again for the info. I will see what my dealer can do. Worse case is go back to stock.

Mike

I have occasional light popping, but not the loud bang you are referring to. Have you checked for exhaust leaks?
ruttrow
Posted 2008-08-29 10:08 AM (#17182 - in reply to #17130)

Cruiser

Illinois
David, Thanks. I am going to bring it back to my selling dealer and see what they can come up with. I hope they can get it resolved, but after the so called fix of the little red plug they mentioned I'm starting to get a little worried. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks Again, Mike
ruttrow
Posted 2008-08-29 10:13 AM (#17183 - in reply to #17130)

Cruiser

Illinois
Raynman,

I'm going to look for leaks. I just had myself convinced it was a map issue so I have not looked up to this point.

Thanks, Mike
RedRider
Posted 2008-08-29 3:27 PM (#17186 - in reply to #17130)

Visionary

You say the popping is since you had the S1/L2 done. mmmmm Check to make sure they put everything back together correctly. Had a friend get big time work done on his HD. We were coming back from visiting i NY and his air cleaner fell off. His mech had not locktited the screws like he was supposed to. It can happen with any mech or shop. I remember having my old S-10 worked on and my old mech called me at work after I picked up and he said. "Hey, I think I forgot to reinstall the end of a hose." I went and looked and he had. I fixed it but stopped in anyway cause I knew he worry about if I hadn't.
Let us know how you make out.
ElroyJ
Posted 2008-09-06 1:08 AM (#17571 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
Ok, I have the same problem. I live in Denver and at 5280 feet, the mapping from Cali would really jack sh!t up! I can't believe that there would not be more than a map or two available for download and installation.

I put the first 500 on my bike in a weekend. Took my beauty back to the dealer for the pipes I had already purchased. They installed and supposedly flashed the bike. They didn't put a race tuner of any sort on it. Which is FINE if the computer takes the new program.

Now, for the issue at hand. I took it for a ride and loved the added response and slightly louder sound. But I am curious why my right pipe sounds louder than my left AND why every now and then during downshift I get a slight backfire/popping. Hello?!? It's fuel injected! Is there another map I should download and flash myself? Uh...I guess the question is, can I flash it myself without jacking this baby up to the point of FUBAR?

I am headed for an 800 mile ride tomorrow out and won't be back to my home town until next weekend after another 800 mile ride home. Should I be concerned and/or maybe even consider just flying?

Thanks in advance!
Minnow
Posted 2008-09-08 12:22 PM (#17672 - in reply to #17130)
Subject: RE: Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
Hey ruttrow,
My bike has been poppin ever since we put the stage 1 level 2 upgrade on. I have been bitchin for 2 months to the dealer and I'm not the bitchin type. Heard good excuses but none fixed the problem. It is the companies problem, not mine. I am a buyer and a rider not a Victory mechanic/tech wizard. Yesterday I took a 5 mile ride and she popped about 7 times. I've put 6500 miles on it this summer and she still pops as bad if not worse than when we did the upgrade.

I told the dealer earlier this summer that I would drive to Spirit Lake and have Lloydz tune it if they wold work with me on it. They did not think this was a good idea and said that Victory was going to have the cure when the 09's come out. Last week the tech man at my dealer told me this is not going to happen but they would do this: They will put new level 1 pipes on tomorrow morning replacing the level 2. Supposedly the level 2 are known for decel popping. I will let you know how things go.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-09-08 1:25 PM (#17677 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
I have the Stage 1 Level 1 installed, and initially had some very minor popping, which was fixed by the dealer by enriching the mixture a bit. No problems since then (and better acceleration in first and second as well!).

As far as the iPod. I use a new flash drive iPod with the latest upload from Victory, and have not had a single problem since.
1atom12
Posted 2008-09-08 5:08 PM (#17685 - in reply to #17677)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
Hi Wizard,
How did they "enrich the mixture"? Do you have some type of aftermarket fuel management system or do you just have the S1L1 download?

I just popping from time to time on my S1L1 and would love to have it fixed...

Thanks
Wizard523
Posted 2008-09-08 6:54 PM (#17694 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
To be honest Adam, I don't really know what fuel management system they installed on the bike. I just know they were able to adjust the mixture. Sorry for my lack of technical knowledge here, but I will give my dealer a call tomorrow (closed today) and find out just what they installed and will let you know.
ruttrow
Posted 2008-09-08 7:17 PM (#17697 - in reply to #17672)

Cruiser

Illinois
Minnow - 2008-09-08 12:22 PM

Hey ruttrow,
My bike has been poppin ever since we put the stage 1 level 2 upgrade on. I have been bitchin for 2 months to the dealer and I'm not the bitchin type. Heard good excuses but none fixed the problem. It is the companies problem, not mine. I am a buyer and a rider not a Victory mechanic/tech wizard. Yesterday I took a 5 mile ride and she popped about 7 times. I've put 6500 miles on it this summer and she still pops as bad if not worse than when we did the upgrade.

I told the dealer earlier this summer that I would drive to Spirit Lake and have Lloydz tune it if they wold work with me on it. They did not think this was a good idea and said that Victory was going to have the cure when the 09's come out. Last week the tech man at my dealer told me this is not going to happen but they would do this: They will put new level 1 pipes on tomorrow morning replacing the level 2. Supposedly the level 2 are known for decel popping. I will let you know how things go.

Minnow,

Please keep me posted. I have held off bringing mine back just yet, the weather here has been really nice and will be coming to an end soon.
dwhite28
Posted 2008-09-08 8:02 PM (#17700 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

Just for your information. After a map is downloaded, minor tweaking can be done as long as you have it connected to the digital wrench. We do it now and then, but we try our best to pay attention to relative humidity and temp of the day after we get the bike up to normal operating temperature. Every motorcycle is a little different. All carbs and bikes are about like fingerprints. It takes someone that really knows and listens for things most people cant hear or have the knack to pick up on.

My Vision i just happen to have uncrated, prepped and installed S1L2 and flashed my own fuel system. I paid relativly close attention to my installation to the exhaust system. I have a tendency to apply just a slight film of oil to all the joints when i put an exhaust system together. It helps the metal slide and pull into place a little better and the clamps to pull tight without binding. Yes there is alittle burn in while the oil is burning away and it also carbonizes a little and makes a seal. Most people would not like this cause they think it is wrong or feel uncomfortable with the smell of burning oil at first. I still have a minor decel popping but only when i get on it really hard and then just drop the throttle while still in gear. I might get a single pop though which would be normal or more than acceptable.

Good luck on getting your system set up.  If the dealer has a good tech on hand that is knowledgable on tweaking the exhaust system, they should be able to set it up.  You may have to go back for another tweak or two, but thats ok.  Just the way it is at times to get it set up for your particular riding style.

Just as a clarifying note, I do hope that when people are complaining about popping, they are actually having a rapid series of popping sounds all the time and not just a simple occasional pop upon releasing the throttle while in gear.

Banjo
Posted 2008-09-08 10:24 PM (#17713 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

From what I understand....a good stage Install involves a minor adjustment of the TPS settings.My Dealer has a demo Vison with level 1 pipes....and it had some minor popping...so it looks like I have to go to another dealer if I want a stage kit installed.
Minnow
Posted 2008-09-09 4:44 PM (#17744 - in reply to #17697)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
Ruttrov, What a day. I drove to the dealers 80 miles one way at 7 AM in 39 degree brisk weather. Gotta say I was dressed for it and never felt a chill. Dropped the bike off at the dealers and went to eat breakfast. Got a call at breadfast from salesman. Salesman says " we need your heat shields from the stock pipes". Well I didn't know that! No one told me ! So, I did not accomplish much other than getting an all expense paid (paid the expenses myself) ride. "Breakdown in communication" was blamed.

So as I see it (take it for what it is worth), they do not even want to try tweaking the level 2 and want to simply put the level 1 set up on and be done with it. I have about 3 weeks to think about it cause they are ordering a new headlight assembly because it has stress cracks in it. Until then I am going to keep on trying to see what can be done. Will let you know.
dwhite28
Posted 2008-09-09 7:01 PM (#17748 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

If i understand, you went to have your Stage 1 Level 2 pipes adjusted. The S1L2 pipe is already on the bike. What the !@#$ are they going to do with the heat sheild from your original pipes???
Wizard523
Posted 2008-09-09 7:13 PM (#17749 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
I was previously asked what fuel management system was used for my S1L1 install and I just confirmed that it was a Big Shot from Arlen Ness.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-09-09 7:16 PM (#17750 - in reply to #17685)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
Adam:

Just in case you didn't see my latest post, to follow up on your question yesterday, I just confirmed that the fuel management system that was installed with my Stage 1 Level 1 system is a Big Shot from Arlen Ness, and it seems to work great. I hope this helps.

Michael
1atom12
Posted 2008-09-09 10:26 PM (#17762 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
Ahhh, sweet, the AN Big Shot... That explains alot... I'm not gonna do anything until I get my recored stock mufflers back and installed and see how the bike runs. Thanks for the info Mike!
Minnow
Posted 2008-09-10 4:13 PM (#17786 - in reply to #17748)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
dwhite28 - 2008-09-09 7:01 PM

If i understand, you went to have your Stage 1 Level 2 pipes adjusted. The S1L2 pipe is already on the bike. What the !@#$ are they going to do with the heat sheild from your original pipes???

The dealer told me that they would not try to adjust the level 2 pipes because their was nothing they could do about the popping. What they would do though was to do the level 1 rather than dealing with the problem. When they originally put L2 on I kept the stock pipes and that is why they needed the heat shields.

After reading your reply about actually being able to get L2 to run smoothly I am getting that feeling that they are simply, not into it. Not much passion for the profession so to speak. My quest goes on and that being to get S1L2 set up to work like it should. Hampton Roads VA is a long drive but I am tempted to come out (probably not a wise move) and have you work on it. I would hate to pay someone to do what I have already paid for.

Man, there has to be someone around here that can help. My belief is that the tech guy at my dealer is ultimately my best bet but his ego is getting in the way. Then again it might be the owner's ego who is one of the two technichians, telling him what to do. Possibly they know exactly what they are talking about and there is no fix to the L2 popping, occasional backfiring and all the irritation that it is causing me. I will keep on calling and emailing them doing my own popping and backfiring. Maybe they will get sick of me and fix the problem.

How does the L1 sound compared to L2?

ruttrow
Posted 2008-09-10 6:03 PM (#17801 - in reply to #17130)

Cruiser

Illinois
Minnow,

Just curious, who is your dealer? After reading dwhites post I also thought to myself I wish VA was a little closer.

dwhite28
Posted 2008-09-10 7:19 PM (#17808 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

As for the difference in sound between S1L1 and S1L2, my personal take on it is the L2 is a little more throaty and deep. Maybe just a little more volume, but nothing obnoxious.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™