You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Minnow
Posted 2008-09-11 1:09 PM (#17877 - in reply to #17801)
Subject: Re: Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
ruttrow - 2008-09-10 6:03 PM

Minnow,

Just curious, who is your dealer? After reading dwhites post I also thought to myself I wish VA was a little closer.

I purchased my bike in Altoona WI at Sport Riders. I talked to the Victory tech man in Stratford WI and he told me that the first thing they would do if there was a problem was "do it again". They need to get another clearance from Victory to do so. Why? I have no idea. I am going to talk to him again and see what comes of it.

From all of the problems Victory has had with the L2 it might be in my best interest to simply give the !@#$ up and settle for the L1.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ruttrow
Posted 2008-09-11 1:20 PM (#17878 - in reply to #17130)

Cruiser

Illinois
Good luck Minnow. When I get mine back to the dealer it is going to be make it run right or put the stockers back on and give me money back.
ElroyJ
Posted 2008-09-15 4:59 PM (#18104 - in reply to #17130)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
Hey all,

I wanted to drop you an update from my long trip last week. I put 1900 miles on my bike in two weeks.

If you have not read, I thought I had the same backfire and popping issues as mentioned earlier in my post on 09/05. In fact, I was wrong. After reading the blog about backfiring and decel, I found my problem is gone. Oh, and so is the problem with ME wrapping that throttle up each time I downshift. I found that my right hand was not very stable when shifting either up or down.

In a nutshell, I am happy with my new S1L2 pipes and the fact that putting them on has pushed me to being a better throttle person.

Hope you find this interesting! I did!

Take care!

Jim
Minnow
Posted 2008-09-15 6:07 PM (#18107 - in reply to #18104)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
ElroyJ - 2008-09-15 4:59 PM
Hi Jim, Maybe I am doing the same thing (wrapping the throttle up) but I do not know exactly what you mean. I am going to check the backfiring and decel blog out and then go for a ride. Thankd for the input.

Hey all,

I wanted to drop you an update from my long trip last week. I put 1900 miles on my bike in two weeks.

If you have not read, I thought I had the same backfire and popping issues as mentioned earlier in my post on 09/05. In fact, I was wrong. After reading the blog about backfiring and decel, I found my problem is gone. Oh, and so is the problem with ME wrapping that throttle up each time I downshift. I found that my right hand was not very stable when shifting either up or down.

In a nutshell, I am happy with my new S1L2 pipes and the fact that putting them on has pushed me to being a better throttle person.

Hope you find this interesting! I did!

Take care!

Jim
ElroyJ
Posted 2008-09-15 6:57 PM (#18110 - in reply to #18107)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
Hey Hopper;

I will try to explain, but it may be subjective.

When I ride, I find that sometimes I do not release the throttle completely when shifting up. This is especially true when I am getting on the throttle hard and trying to get through gears quickly. I found that at times I get a quick pop when this happens. I KNOW that I am the cause and let it be as something I need to work on.

As for decel; when I am downshifting, I got into a bad habit many years ago when riding crotch rockets and racing through some fun twisties. In a nutshell, in order to keep the back tire from a quick screech (caused by dumping the clutch on a downshift) when I was racing around, I would give the throttle a quick twist to get the RPM's up. In other words, if I shift from 4 to 3, the RPM's need to increase due to the change in gears. If I am racing around I would find that without a quick wrap up, I would screech a tire and in some cases cause the back end to 'burble' a bit and making 'me' uncomfortable. By giving a quick upshot in RPM's I found that the back tire slowed easier. This allowed the tire to remain at speed but still catch the engine braking.

I carried the throttle wrap to my Kaw 1500 cruiser (and all the others in between). I liked the sound of the engine getting louder when I downshifted so I continued the practice until now.

Since I realized that I was the main cause of the backfire last week, I now have very little if no backfire on decel. Being at 5280 feet above sea level, I figured the mapping was incorrect for the bike when I got it back from the dealer AND being fuel injected, I was quite disappointed and NOT happy. NOW, I am fine with the small pops every now and then because, as I said, it mostly is my own fault.

I would have to agree that this should not be happening on such a modern bike. However, at the same time, it IS a modern bike and the engine computer is most likely doing newer things than I am used to since my first bike over 25 years ago.

I hope this helps!

Take care and chrome side up!

Jim
bobbybhb
Posted 2008-09-15 9:35 PM (#18124 - in reply to #17130)

Cruiser

CALGARY ALBERTA
HIGH IDLE UPDATE
This is my response to a high idle problem which seems to have stopped the popcorn on Stage one Level 2
0ver 100 mi today and just fine.

THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED. PARDON MY TRANSLATION AS I HAVEN'T HAD THE BIKE APART MYSELF.
I was told that the IAC (idle air control) had been partially stuck open due to a cable tie being too tight. The mechanic mentioned something about the tie being under the seat???? As I said I don't know if this is the correct translation, but the results are great as my bike now idles properly and I noticed that it is not getting as much popcorn effect when decelerating. IT RUNS GREAT NOW.
BB
Minnow
Posted 2008-09-16 11:07 AM (#18148 - in reply to #18110)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI

I would have to agree that this should not be happening on such a modern bike. However, at the same time, it IS a modern bike and the engine computer is most likely doing newer things than I am used to since my first bike over 25 years ago.

I hope this helps!

Take care and chrome side up!

Jim

Jim, Thanks. I am giving it a try. Mark

Edited by Minnow 2008-09-16 11:08 AM
Minnow
Posted 2008-09-17 10:38 AM (#18207 - in reply to #18110)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
ElroyJ - 2008-09-15 6:57 PM

Hey Hopper;

When I ride, I find that sometimes I do not release the throttle completely when shifting up. This is especially true when I am getting on the throttle hard and trying to get through gears quickly. I found that at times I get a quick pop when this happens. I KNOW that I am the cause and let it be as something I need to work on.

Jim

Hey Jim, Amazing what fully releasing clutch has done to my popping problem. Thanks for the heads up on this one! Who woulda ever thought I was the problem. I like the sound of the L2 and know that with the stock pipes I could get by with my old riding habits. If this is the end of my frustration that would be a good thing. I owe you a cold one or maybe even two.
Mark

Edited by Minnow 2008-09-17 10:40 AM
ElroyJ
Posted 2008-09-17 1:44 PM (#18213 - in reply to #18207)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
Minnow - 2008-09-17 8:38 AM

ElroyJ - 2008-09-15 6:57 PM

Hey Hopper;

Jim

Hey Jim, Amazing what fully releasing clutch has done to my popping problem. Thanks for the heads up on this one! Who woulda ever thought I was the problem. I like the sound of the L2 and know that with the stock pipes I could get by with my old riding habits. If this is the end of my frustration that would be a good thing. I owe you a cold one or maybe even two.
Mark

Hey Mark,

Anytime! I am glad this information helped another person! I was totally amazed at the difference and how inefficiently I was riding.

A cold one on you? Anytime!

Take care!

Jim
Y_Soitenly
Posted 2008-09-22 9:07 PM (#18594 - in reply to #17130)
Subject: RE: Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire

Puddle Jumper

Arkansas
I had the S1/L2 exhaust installed before I picked up the bike and I'm just getting the occasional pop when shifting. Doesn't do it often and it's not very loud. All the dealer did was install a different map. No other fuel processor.
ElroyJ
Posted 2008-09-28 5:18 PM (#19159 - in reply to #18594)
Subject: RE: Stage 1 Level 2 Pop & Backfire

Tourer

Centennial, CO
Y_Soitenly - 2008-09-22 7:07 PM

I had the S1/L2 exhaust installed before I picked up the bike and I'm just getting the occasional pop when shifting. Doesn't do it often and it's not very loud. All the dealer did was install a different map. No other fuel processor.

Anyone thinking or have put a fuel computer (power commander...etc.) on their vision? If so, is it worth it? I have the mapping for the S1L2 on the bike but wonder if there is something I can do to tweak it and make things better for me at my altitude (5280...Denver...UGH!).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™