You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Sticking Gas Gauge Float?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

luzzy
Posted 2007-11-03 10:30 AM (#1505)
Subject: Sticking Gas Gauge Float?

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
My gas gauge is stuck on full at least for one tankful. I Just refilled and will see if it corrects itself. A phone called to Zack's Vtwin revealed it is a mechanical float in the right side tank.

Anyone else have a problem with this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miles
Posted 2007-11-03 3:43 PM (#1508 - in reply to #1505)
Subject: Re: Sticking Gas Gauge Float?

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
Hey Luzzy,
I obviously don't have the problem as I don't have the bike, but as it's a mechanical float, I'm guessing it's a variation on a theme of what they use in the other bikes. Try to wait until there is as little has a possiblle (light comes on) and then while filling do bursts of wide open in the direction of the mechanism. Don't know if you ever seen them, but on the V92C as example it's a rather sturdy unit with a float and an arm. It's stuck in the "up" position obviously. When they are new, they can get stuck at the extremes (up or down) if a little crud gets in there. Normally just filling the tank keeps it pretty clear, but once in a rare while, especially if you fill slowly, a little piece of schmootz can get in there and bind it up. It usually happens in the "near" down position but most people fill based on "time to fill" or "mileage" so they wouldn't notice it if it did happen, and as I said... a fillup usually clears anything out anyway.

The only reason I'm mentioning this, is this was yet another "attention to detail" in engineering thing I saw at Victory. It's like they built a self-cleaning aspect to it. Other companies use a variety of methods for gas levels, from complicated vacuum gizmos to float switches of all kinds, and when they fail... they are usually done. Victory's may not be the most accurate, but it gets the job done, and although making us view both "mileage" and "consumption" probably wasn't the goal... it's not a bad method.

Let us know what Zack's turns up, or if it clears on the next fillup. Very curious here.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2007-11-04 7:51 AM (#1511 - in reply to #1505)
Subject: RE: Sticking Gas Gauge Float?

Fountain Inn, SC United States
The mechanism looks like a dual-float design (see below). The lower float probably just activates the low-fuel condition. The upper float where most likely what is sticking.
luzzy
Posted 2007-11-05 3:33 PM (#1538 - in reply to #1505)
Subject: RE: Sticking Gas Gauge Float?

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
It unstuck itself with this tank of gas....I'm happy now
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-05 3:44 PM (#1539 - in reply to #1505)
Subject: Re: Sticking Gas Gauge Float?

Visionary

Brighton, TN
YAAWHO!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™