You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Feels buzzier above 3k than I expected
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-03 6:06 PM (#160925)
Subject: Feels buzzier above 3k than I expected

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

I've had the occasion recently to rev it up a bit and I've noticed that once the RPM gets above 3k the motor gets noticeably buzzy and doesn't pull as hard? I've read posts by guys talking about how smooth it is up around 85 or 90, but that doesn't feel like what I am feeling. Bike only has 2k miles on it, only mod is adding the Lloyd's ATS set at +4.

So I guess I'm wondering if this is an anomaly, or do you have the same experience? It's a v-twin so there is going to be some vibration I know, but my 08 Kingpin didn't seem to feel this way up there at those RPMs or speeds for that matter.

Thanks,

-Lance

Top of the page Bottom of the page
yeliabp
Posted 2014-07-14 7:27 AM (#161272 - in reply to #160925)
Subject: RE: Feels buzzier above 3k than I expected

New user

It's normal so don't worry about it. You are correct there is a noticeably higher vibration (buzziness) at 80+ and 3000rpms and higher. In fact, my mirror wings will not stay open if I travel 3000+rpm. They slowly close up on me. Well, they did until I put some 3m bumper pads on to block them open. I love going fast but on long rides I keep her just below the 3000 mark.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-07-14 7:39 AM (#161273 - in reply to #160925)
Subject: Re: Feels buzzier above 3k than I expected

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
My guess is.. your bone stock and there for running lean to meet the Epa regs. I have a high flow air filters and a power commander fuel controller and I don't have this issue.. if the buzziness you are referring to is in regards to power
ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-14 7:44 AM (#161274 - in reply to #160925)

Tourer

Thanks and yes Arkainseye, bone stock with the exception of the Lloyds ATS and 02 sensors unplugged. Rylan advised against the top filter until I add the PCV, due to how lean the bike would be running. So I'll do that stuff next spring.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-07-14 6:49 PM (#161293 - in reply to #160925)

Visionary

its hard to determin if its the motor or the tires give a buzz. I just put on a new front tire and with out weights I ran it up to 90 mph a couple of times. I could finaly feel a buzz from the motor nothing from the tire. Buzz from motor didn't happen till in 6th and at 80mph
ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-15 6:41 AM (#161304 - in reply to #160925)

Tourer

Tires are Dunlop E3 and at 2700 miles are starting to do the dunlop hum already...
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-15 9:14 AM (#161311 - in reply to #161304)

Iron Butt

ljurgens - 2014-07-15 4:41 AM

Tires are Dunlop E3 and at 2700 miles are starting to do the dunlop hum already...
Do you happen to know if your tires are the new MT version or not? Do you remember how long ago they were installed? Reason I'm asking is that I thought they had designed out the hum with the new version.

Marc
ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-15 12:24 PM (#161322 - in reply to #160925)

Tourer

Marc, the tires are oem 2013 Vision. I bought the bike last November, so I would guess they are not the new MT versions. Is the a way to tell from the tire itself ?
Travelin Man
Posted 2014-07-15 1:02 PM (#161323 - in reply to #160925)

Iron Butt

I recently installed the new Dunlop Elite 3MT tires about two months ago and then a couple of weeks ago I installed the CounterAct tire balancing beads. I can say that before the new tires all previous sets of E3s had a noticeable hum above 80 mph, and after installing the CounterAct balancing beads all I can say is Oh My God! I've had my Vision since April 5th of '08 and it now runs smoother than ANY of the Honda Goldwings or Yamaha Venture Royales I've owned.

ljurgens, there is one thing that hasn't been mentioned though and that is the break-in period of the Freedom V-Twin engine. My Vision had slight vibration throughout the rev range until it hit about 12K miles. Just keep running her and I would bet that she will smooth out too!
ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-15 3:11 PM (#161324 - in reply to #160925)

Tourer

Thanks Travelin Man, I'm runner her as much as I can!

I was riding in some rain this past Saturday, and boy did she like that! Ran so smooth in the cooler moist air.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-07-18 4:14 PM (#163424 - in reply to #161323)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Travelin Man - 2014-07-15 2:02 PM

I recently installed the new Dunlop Elite 3MT tires about two months ago and then a couple of weeks ago I installed the CounterAct tire balancing beads. I can say that before the new tires all previous sets of E3s had a noticeable hum above 80 mph, and after installing the CounterAct balancing beads all I can say is Oh My God! I've had my Vision since April 5th of '08 and it now runs smoother than ANY of the Honda Goldwings or Yamaha Venture Royales I've owned.

I agree 100% -- I installed Centramatics a few weeks ago - same concept of dynamic balancing, just a different way of doing it. People who don't use beads/powder/balancers/whatever for dynamic balancing have no idea what they're missing. I'm on used ME880s with cupping you can see and feel and the ride is amazing. OH MY GOD indeed. I've had around a dozen bikes and ~160k miles pass under me and I've never felt anything like this. What I think is so awesome is that it doesn't just smooth out the ride. It smoothens EVERYTHING. Wind buffeting around my head and body is HUGELY reduced. That means the vibration caused by the tires was making the windshield and/or body oscillate causing the buffeting. It makes me wonder how many buffeting problems could be solved with continuously perfect balance of the rotating assemblies.

Dad has a 2008 Harley Softtail Custom. Tiny width large diameter tubed bias tire up front, 200mm radial in the rear. We put the centramatics on his, too. He's added a quick release windshield which is basically all lexan with a few brackets to attach it to the forks. He said the same thing about buffeting before I even mentioned it to him. I really think that the smooth ride is just the start on bikes with plastic bits. The fact that those plastic bits aren't vibrating dramatically changes your wind and sound experience.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™