You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Question for those that have done their own cams.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

cw1115
Posted 2014-07-04 3:56 PM (#160953)
Subject: Question for those that have done their own cams.

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Due to a little legal issue arising from my collision, I am off the road for a month. I figure while the bike is sitting idle I would do the cams. I spent many years in the automotive service industry and have down plenty of work on my bikes. I am confidant of my ability to do it myself. I have never worked on an overhead cam engine.

My question is how difficult are the cams to swap out? I understand there are changes to the valve train since 2008. I saw a post someplace with some step by step instructions with photos.
Any input, tips, or tricks would be appreciated.

I also am looking for a 2012 of up service manual.

Thank You

I found the link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B95Bg763O92RN2QtUEpoLVBSSi1SYW1XVXFp...

Edited by cw1115 2014-07-04 4:00 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jimbo62
Posted 2014-07-04 9:58 PM (#160966 - in reply to #160953)
Subject: Re: Question for those that have done their own cams.

Cruiser

Moncks Corner, SC United States
This would be a no brainer if the engine was on a bench. But if yours is still mounted, it presents some obstacles. First and foremost- no room. You will have to pull one or more of the bolts that hold the frame together and loosten the other(s). I can't remember the exact position they are in. They are located behind the rear cylinder head. I used a floor jack to help lift the front of the bike, under the engine, and a big pry bar at the joint between the front and rear frame. We were able to get a screw driver into the holes where the bolts were once I had it jacked up. This will lift/hold the front "chassis" up enough to get at the forward valve cover, barely. On my 2011, we still had to disassemble the forward cam carrier in place because it would not come out. The rear is somewhat easier to access. As for the actual cam replacement, we pretty much followed the shop manual. It was also very helpful that I had a couple of friends who had done the job before. Good luck.
cw1115
Posted 2014-07-05 8:05 AM (#160972 - in reply to #160953)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Thanks Jimbo. I have seen photos and a YouTube video of the of the frame unbolted for clearance and how to secure with a screwdriver.. The above link has step by step instructions with photos and the pages needed from the shop manual. Who ever did that did a great job documenting. After changing a headlight bulb on one of these I am not afraid of tight working room. :-)
I only have a 2008 manual so I am going to bite the bullet and buy a newer one first.
whinchey
Posted 2014-07-05 10:24 AM (#160975 - in reply to #160953)

Cruiser

Yellowknife, NT Canada
It is my understanding, the only real change, is that the 2008 106 motor had a two piece cam carrier and the newer motors 2009 and up have a one piece cam carrier. That manual covers both of these. Follow the 2009-2010 section as your guide.
cw1115
Posted 2014-07-05 11:09 AM (#160980 - in reply to #160953)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Thank you. I am excited to get started. Time to place an order!!
V92SC
Posted 2014-07-05 1:18 PM (#160982 - in reply to #160953)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Cw1115 it depends on what cams you order. The new HOH VM1 HP cams need the cam carriers clearanced and the early HOH VM1 cams needed a modified carrier. The HOH DRI cam is the only one thats a drop in cam replacement. Call and talk with someone at Lloydz for advise.
cw1115
Posted 2014-07-05 1:26 PM (#160983 - in reply to #160953)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I have spoke to KevinX about it and will double check with Lloyd. I was going to have Kevin do it, but since I have the down time and not much money, what the hell.
I plan on doing the HOH-VM1-DR Street Grind cams. I got all excited when the more aggressive cam out and I was told their power is at the higher RMP band and unless I was "ringing out the motor" all the time not to get them. What's your opinion V92Sc since you are running them?
I average 2000 plus miles a month year round.
V92SC
Posted 2014-07-05 2:23 PM (#160985 - in reply to #160953)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
I have an 08 and Lloyd only makes one cam and that's the original HOH VM1 cams. My friend Big Six has the new HOH VM1 HP cams done in Helen, Ga. this past month and he said in a roll on contest with a VTX in 4th gear he reports pulling awawy with athority and he is 6ft 6 in and nearly 300lb. I'm satisfied with the original grind has is I can walk away from a Wing in pretty much any situation. I DIY but mine are easy because the 08s' are simplier to work on.Sort of the 106 for dummies.
cw1115
Posted 2014-07-05 3:12 PM (#160989 - in reply to #160953)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Thanks for the info. I'll keep you updated and PM you if I get stuck. I think I'll be ok though. I just spent an hour changing an O2 sensor on my Marauder. I am all warmed up for the no room to work frustration. lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™