You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Replacing Drive Belt
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-10 11:24 AM (#161135)
Subject: Replacing Drive Belt

Iron Butt

I thought I would start a new thread since I'm in the middle of replacing the belt and sprockets now. Sorry, no pictures. This job is difficult enough so I don't want to stop to take pics. Right off the bat I can tell you that this is one helluva job. Take this one real serious if you're contemplating doing it yourself.

Some high points:

You have to pull the mufflers which is a bear in its own right.

Then you have to pull the headers loose, not remove them but get them so you can pivot them out of the way.

Next is to remove the right side floor board assembly and timing cover so you can lock the crank. You have to pull the right rear tipover as well.

With the headers moved out of the way the sprocket cover comes off easy enough. It has a rubber gasket which is thick and probably doesn't require replacement even though I already ordered one.

Once the sprocket nut is removed you have to work on the 1 7/8" nut holding the sprocket on. I heated this thing up to try and soften the red threadlocker. Getting this nut to break loose is a son-of-a-bitch! The manual says to put the bike in 5th gear. That doesn't work. The nut is so damn tight that the clutch slips! I ended up all the way down to first gear before it would stop slipping. Finally it broke loose and that's with a 1/2" breaker bar and extension resulting in about 3.5 feet of leverage. Why the breaker bar didn't bust I have no idea. When the threadlocker finally lets go there was this huge bang which made me think something broke somewhere for sure. Getting it off the rest of the way was a matter of creak and groan till it was 90% of the way. Threads look fine.

Next is to pull the rear wheel and get the sprocket off. I'll start on that later today.

I've obviously left off lots of details so I'll flesh this out more as I go on. Bottom line, for most guys this is a job best left to the pros. It takes lots of strength and commitment as well as some heavy duty tools. So far you need in addition to the regular stuff a 1 7/8" socket, a humongous breaker bar and a torque wrench capable of 180 ft lbs. Mine is 250.

More later....

Marc

Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2014-07-10 2:30 PM (#161139 - in reply to #161135)
Subject: Re: Replacing Drive Belt

Visionary

Central Maryland
Sweet Jeezuz!
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-10 3:36 PM (#161141 - in reply to #161135)
Subject: RE: Replacing Drive Belt

Iron Butt

I just took the front sprocket off so I could take a good look at it. I realize that they tell you to replace it along with the belt but I'll be damned if I can see any perceptible wear on it at all. Its nice and shiny but that's about it. I've got a new one coming so I'll renew it but it does seem like overkill. I also checked the seal race and it looks perfect as well. There's an O ring behind the seal race which definitely should be replaced. I have that coming.

I'll keep at it...

Marc
willtill
Posted 2014-07-10 5:39 PM (#161142 - in reply to #161141)

Visionary

Central Maryland

marcparnes - 2014-07-10 4:36 PM

I just took the front sprocket off so I could take a good look at it. I realize that they tell you to replace it along with the belt but I'll be damned if I can see any perceptible wear on it at all. Its nice and shiny but that's about it. I've got a new one coming so I'll renew it but it does seem like overkill. I also checked the seal race and it looks perfect as well. There's an O ring behind the seal race which definitely should be replaced. I have that coming.

I'll keep at it...

Marc

Keep up the good fight Marc....

I'm still waiting on Chesapeake Cycles in Annapolis to R&R my front sprocket shaft seal and O-ring.  The part (seal) was back ordered; but came in last Thursday.  They're supposed to be done with it tomorrow.

I do not have a "warm and fuzzy" feeling anymore about my Vision; after my seal went out after only 17,000 miles.  I think that the seal failing like that is unheard of.  With any motorcycle.

pollolittle
Posted 2014-07-11 8:36 AM (#161163 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Seals come and go its a piece of rubber in a pretty harsh exposed environment.

As for the nut above , no impact wrench. Seems that baby would have just spun or do I need to go read. Oh yeah the nut is in reference to whoever or whatever takes it that way.
varyder
Posted 2014-07-11 9:17 AM (#161165 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
161,616 on mine and no seal failure. Any thing on any motorcycle could cause this. Hopefully it's not shaft alignment or a defect in the shaft. Otherwise, you should be good.
pollolittle
Posted 2014-07-11 10:24 AM (#161166 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Vaiaintagonnacatchhimryder, I was wondering the ######### on miles. You will undoubtedly double the miles on me. WOW! I felt like I was riding at a pretty good clip but then, etc, etc, etc, took over. I am so glad that beast is a still rollin.

Marc, glad you are doing this, I ain't a top shelf mechanic but I would probably give it a go. However, when the chance hits you, how did you get the pipes off or separated? A man with a tire machine yet no impact wrench, I see a tool in your future.
varyder
Posted 2014-07-11 11:02 AM (#161169 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
you'll catch up when the little ones become big ones and get a bike of their own. As far as the pipes, I make a suggestion, put grease on them before putting them back together. The next time you have to remove them it will be a snap. Just stinks a little until it is baked good enough.
okie vision
Posted 2014-07-11 3:03 PM (#161174 - in reply to #161135)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Tougher than I am!! Wouldn't attempt that job without impact/air tools.
Good job Marc
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-11 4:00 PM (#161176 - in reply to #161166)

Iron Butt

pollolittle - 2014-07-11 8:24 AM

Marc, glad you are doing this, I ain't a top shelf mechanic but I would probably give it a go. However, when the chance hits you, how did you get the pipes off or separated? A man with a tire machine yet no impact wrench, I see a tool in your future.
The pipes pulled apart without too much trouble after letting them sit for a few minutes soaked with WD40. Just twist and pull. You have to rotate the mufflers to get them free of the chassis. Polaris has a special wrench for that but I just used a strap wrench. As for the header pipes, I didn't have to separate them thank goodness. Just pull the header nuts and flanges and wiggle the assembly around till the rear pipe is free of the port. It swings out of the way just enough to get the cover off at that point. I've got a couple of good impact wrenches in 3/8" and 1/2" and 180 psi. What a joke, it didn't even make believe it was going to budge. Maybe a nice 3/4" or 1" impact like what truck shops use might do it. On the other hand I wonder how the transmission gears would take to the pounding? Nah, a good socket, strong breaker bar and a long pipe is probably safer.

Marc
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-11 4:02 PM (#161177 - in reply to #161169)

Iron Butt

varyder - 2014-07-11 9:02 AM

As far as the pipes, I make a suggestion, put grease on them before putting them back together. The next time you have to remove them it will be a snap. Just stinks a little until it is baked good enough.
Yup, I'm going to put some hi-temp anti-seize on them when they go back together. Just waiting for the UPS guy with my parts.

Marc

Edited by marcparnes 2014-07-11 4:02 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-07-11 6:21 PM (#161182 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

Most if not all rental place rent electric impact
Banjodan
Posted 2014-07-11 8:42 PM (#161188 - in reply to #161135)

Cruiser

did getting a estimate from dealer or another m/c mechanic ever cross your mind? just wondering what a dealer would charge.
varyder
Posted 2014-07-11 9:10 PM (#161190 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
a lot. I'm glad I'm reading this now, I'll have to find me a big pipe, I've got the socket. Used to work on diesels, a lot of torque on them nuts...
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-11 9:45 PM (#161191 - in reply to #161188)

Iron Butt

Banjodan - 2014-07-11 6:42 PM

did getting a estimate from dealer or another m/c mechanic ever cross your mind? just wondering what a dealer would charge.
I actually never considered having the dealer do this job. I like doing this kind of work from time to time.

Marc
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-11 9:54 PM (#161193 - in reply to #161190)

Iron Butt

varyder - 2014-07-11 7:10 PM

a lot. I'm glad I'm reading this now, I'll have to find me a big pipe, I've got the socket. Used to work on diesels, a lot of torque on them nuts...
Chris, the torque is only one issue at 180 lbs. Its the red thread locker that really locks this sucker up. Based on what's left in the threads, they didn't use it sparingly either.

By the way I'd like to mention Bob at Maxim Motorsport in Indiana. I've bought lots of parts from him and they not only give a very attractive discount but the stuff always comes on time and as order.

Marc
willtill
Posted 2014-07-12 6:46 AM (#161208 - in reply to #161188)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Banjodan - 2014-07-11 9:42 PM

I think around $450.00.... the dealer in Annapolis had to R&R my front drive sprocket seal; so it had to be removed; as well as the pipes and such

They called me yesterday but did not leave a message; I hope that it is ready for me to pick up today. We'll see...
varyder
Posted 2014-07-12 10:32 AM (#161211 - in reply to #161193)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

marcparnes - 2014-07-11 10:54 PM varyder - 2014-07-11 7:10 PM a lot. I'm glad I'm reading this now, I'll have to find me a big pipe, I've got the socket. Used to work on diesels, a lot of torque on them nuts... Chris, the torque is only one issue at 180 lbs. Its the red thread locker that really locks this sucker up. Based on what's left in the threads, they didn't use it sparingly either. By the way I'd like to mention Bob at Maxim Motorsport in Indiana. I've bought lots of parts from him and they not only give a very attractive discount but the stuff always comes on time and as order. Marc

There's trick to the trade that will ease the pain and breaking it loose.  Since I've never done this on my bike, I can't say that it will work.  When I was working on the big stuff I would take a 32oz peen hammer and tap, tap, tap for a good while to allow the vibration to break it loose, and then do a quick jerk to start it moving.  I use to get laughed at in the Army doing that, but when they saw that it worked, they stopped laughing.  Now you know my secret and I know nothing.

willtill
Posted 2014-07-12 10:50 AM (#161212 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Just got my Vision from the dealer; it's finished.

They charged 4 hours labor to replace the front seal and O-ring = $368.00
The front drive sprocket seal-lip = $17.06
The front O-ring = $2.22
And ANOTHER O-ring was $1.46 (maybe that was for the gear sensor?)

So this gives you an idea of how much a dealer would jst about charge, to do what Marc is doing himself.

Oh, and I had my rear tire replaced as well. I brought the new tire in to them. They charged me $138.00 to remove old tire from bike, mount and balance the new one and install it.

Edited by willtill 2014-07-12 10:51 AM
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-12 1:25 PM (#161213 - in reply to #161212)

Iron Butt

willtill - 2014-07-12 8:50 AM

Just got my Vision from the dealer; it's finished.

They charged 4 hours labor to replace the front seal and O-ring = $368.00
The front drive sprocket seal-lip = $17.06
The front O-ring = $2.22
And ANOTHER O-ring was $1.46 (maybe that was for the gear sensor?)

So this gives you an idea of how much a dealer would jst about charge, to do what Marc is doing himself.

Oh, and I had my rear tire replaced as well. I brought the new tire in to them. They charged me $138.00 to remove old tire from bike, mount and balance the new one and install it.

Yup, that's about it. The only thing to add to it is the R&R of the rear wheel and sprocket. Also Polaris modified the rear pulley so that the Centramatic balancer wouldn't fit anymore so I had to do a bit of machine work first thing this morning which wasted about an hour. Thank goodness I have a CNC mill or I would have been stuck.

Marc
marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-12 1:32 PM (#161214 - in reply to #161211)

Iron Butt

varyder - 2014-07-12 8:32 AM

There's trick to the trade that will ease the pain and breaking it loose.? Since I've never done this on my bike, I can't say that it will work.??When I was working on the big stuff I would?take a 32oz peen hammer and tap, tap, tap for a good while to allow the vibration to break it loose, and then do a quick jerk to start it moving.? I use to get laughed at in the Army doing that, but when they saw that it worked, they stopped laughing.? Now you know my secret and I know nothing.
That very well might have helped. It was definitely the loctite that had it stuck on there. When I torqued it back on to 180 lbs it didn't take that much effort. Getting it to break loose probably took 3 times the effort. Just have to put the mufflers back on and adjust the belt and I'm done :-)

Marc
varyder
Posted 2014-07-12 5:10 PM (#161219 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I've saved a few things from the flame wrench...
Rollin'
Posted 2014-07-12 5:41 PM (#161221 - in reply to #161135)

Iron Butt

, WI

I replaced my belt a few weeks ago. Getting the exhaust off was a challenge.

marcparnes
Posted 2014-07-12 8:29 PM (#161225 - in reply to #161135)

Iron Butt

Here are a couple of pictures:

Marc

varyder
Posted 2014-07-12 9:24 PM (#161227 - in reply to #161135)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Sexy...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™